PDA

View Full Version : Meetup Midwest GiTP Meet-up! Part Deux

Pages : 1 [2]

Zeb The Troll
2007-12-04, 11:59 AM
Hey 'Larra and Zeb,

when does your flight get into the cities? It probably isn't near noon on Friday is it?

Just asking because then we could have a little mini meetup in the airport. :smallbiggrin:If you mean Minneapolis, yes. We are supposed to land at around 11:30'ish. If you guys are going to be flying through, we'll stay on the inside of the security fence to say "Howdy, neighbor!" to ya's. :smallcool:

Thes Hunter
2007-12-04, 12:42 PM
ZEB!

Cause....

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.

PM onna way. Here's hoping we don't have to walk halfway across the airport for our next gate.

Supagoof
2007-12-04, 02:03 PM
ZEB!

Cause....

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.

PM onna way. Here's hoping we don't have to walk halfway across the airport for our next gate.

Heh, you should probably also make sure your at the same terminal. Humphrey does not equal Lindbergh.....

Should I grab Killer Rabbits for the meetup?

Zeful
2007-12-04, 10:01 PM
*cough points to own post on last page*
Hi!

Gitman00
2007-12-05, 08:37 AM
:annoyed:

*grumble*

You guys would have to do this while I'm stuck in the land of camels and terrorists, wouldn't you? Ah, well. Have an extra cup of Christmas cheer for me! :smallwink:

Zeb The Troll
2007-12-05, 09:42 AM
Heh, you should probably also make sure your at the same terminal. Humphrey does not equal Lindbergh.....

Should I grab Killer Rabbits for the meetup?We are both coming into Lindbergh. Unless your airport is huge we should at least have time to grab a sammidge or sumpin. :smallcool:

*ponders idea of tabletop Kubb ... *

Thes Hunter
2007-12-05, 09:59 AM
*ponders idea of tabletop Kubb ... *

Yeah, I can just see security loving that. :smallbiggrin:

Supagoof
2007-12-05, 10:39 AM
Hello guys, the next meet-up is on Dec 15th? So next Saturday right? I'm just trying to be clear because I don't think it was specified too well.

Anyway I'll be there unless something happens. Also what's the price of the game room, I want to chip in (it'll be more of a reimbursement though,) and should we co-ordinate out bringing of stuff? I have a SNES at home with a couple of two player games, (Mario Kart, Donkey Kong country the MArio bros. series)
Sorry Zeful...didn't catch this before.

The room costs nothing (Yay Chatterbox). They only want you to reserve it so they can acurately plan staff that day. They assign a waitress specifically to the room if there's a large number of people in it.

So cost will be what you decide to order for drinks/food. The food there is excellent, but a bit on the spendier side with appetizers at $7 on average and meals at $10-12. However, for the price, they deliver. I've yet to come across something I haven't liked in the 6 different kind of meals I've tried there. Last time we eached covered our own tabs and that worked out very well I think.

Games, bring what you want to share/play. They do have old school NES\Atari\Sega there already, and I'll be bringing rock band + my gamecube which worked well last time. We'll also be doing board games and such as well.

Zeful
2007-12-05, 09:00 PM
No harm done, I was just curious. My questions have been answered so I'll show up with mario kart and the Mario bros compilation cartridge. If anybody want to see something specific now would be the time to speak up.

Oh and can the room be registered as the GiantITP room, it can cause some problems.

See yah!

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-12-09, 01:00 AM
Well, it looks like I am definitely not going to be there next weekend. I'm still in MD, although since I don't have a job here anymore, and since I'm running out of money, I am coming back to the Twin Cities (hopefully for a short time) until I find another job. Seeing as I probably won't be back by the 15th, which is the earliest date I could likely begin coming home, I shall not be able to make it.

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-09, 10:50 AM
Six days till the meetup... same time/place as before, right? 1pm, Chatterbox?

Supagoof
2007-12-09, 12:32 PM
1pm
Chatterbox in Saint Paul
Saturday, Dec 15th.
See you all there. :smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-09, 03:15 PM
Okay, I think the whole event's gonna be a bit too pricey for me right now. Christmas shopping taking a huge chunk of the monthly budget and all that. So I won't be making it.

However, I do have some ideas for a meetup here in Wisconsin come spring. I won't confuse the thread by discussing them right now, though. Next Sunday, after the current meetup, however... :smallbiggrin:

Andre Fairchilde
2007-12-12, 07:33 PM
That's too bad... it would have been nice. Maybe for the Spring meet-up...say *around* spring break, or when Shadow can actually make it up here?

2007-12-12, 08:19 PM
That's too bad... it would have been nice. Maybe for the Spring meet-up...say *around* spring break, or when Shadow can actually make it up here?

I'd like to say I'll be able to make it in the spring, but I sure hope I can't make it. If I can, it means I haven't yet found a job, and that will likely be far too late to find a baseball job at that point.

Zeb The Troll
2007-12-14, 04:23 PM
Hey! We're in town. After an uneventful flight and a mini meetup with Trog and Thes at MSP, we're settled in our hotel now at the Park Plaza Bloomington (which has a hot tub!).

If anyone wants to do something, our evening is as yet unplanned. Andre and ER have our phone numbers if you send us a PM and we don't get back to you right away. Andre and ER, obviously this means you have permission to give out our numbers if someone in the area asks for them.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-14, 07:13 PM
Hey! We're in town. After an uneventful flight and a mini meetup with Trog and Thes at MSP, we're settled in our hotel now at the Park Plaza Bloomington (which has a hot tub!).
Hot Tub? Sweet!

EmeraldRose
2007-12-15, 10:37 AM
*stumbles around looking for coffee to wake up for the meet*

Supagoof
2007-12-15, 11:27 AM
*Makes note to tell Andre to stop snoring and keeping ER up late.*

*packs up stuff for the meet less then 3 hours away.*

Good news. No call from chatterbox means we didn't have any party larger then us try to book the party room, so it's OURS! When you arrive you should be able to head straight back to it.

See you all there in a few....

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-15, 11:35 AM
I may end up being there a bit early because my mother has a lot of running around to do around 12-2ish, and my dad is sick. I could walk there, but it's cooold out there...

Zeb The Troll
2007-12-15, 12:14 PM
it's cooold out there...Ain't that the truth. Which one of you guys forgot to pay the heating bill? Holy cow!

*looks at temperature outside, which still hasn't reached double digits, shivers*

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-15, 12:27 PM
Okay, by "early", my mother apparently means up to 20 minutes early... only way I can see that being a problem is if the Chatterbox hasn't prepared the room or something.

@Zeb: 13f here... but I think our thermometer is in the sun.

wxdruid
2007-12-15, 12:36 PM
The weather in St Paul, MN is 8F/-13C, the wind is from the southeast at 5 mph and the wind chill is -1F/-18C, with Mostly sunny skies expected for today.

*goes back to lurking*

Zeful
2007-12-15, 12:38 PM
Orange, I'm at the Highland library right now, you should be able to hop over and read for a little before going over, that's what I plan on doing at least.

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-15, 12:47 PM
Orange, I'm at the Highland library right now, you should be able to hop over and read for a little before going over, that's what I plan on doing at least.

That's actually a good idea... *wonders if they have a copy of World War Z...*

adanedhel9
2007-12-15, 01:28 PM
Ha ha! To the meetup!

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-16, 04:23 PM
So, what? Everybody just partying so hard at the meetup that they aren't in the condition to talk about it yet? Thought I'd get some details by now. :smallwink:

Anyway, now that it's over, I think I can at least mention my spring meetup idea.

Now, I'm figuring the Chatterbox is all well and good, but it could be nice to change the surroundings a bit. Git out of that big ol' city. Try someplace known for a bit of natural beauty.

To that end, I figure we could rent a park shelter and have an outdoors meetup in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Get together. Enjoy the fresh air. Expand the whole "gamer" theme to include some outdoors games. Maybe with a bit of (* gasp! *) physical activity.

Of course, unlike the Chatterbox, renting a shelter will not be free. But it only costs $50. Only 10 participants will reduce the cost to $5 a piece. Also consider that we can get the food (maybe a pizza or party sub or somesuch) at a cheaper rate, and I doubt it will cost more than the actual cost of Chatterbox.

Now, one of the great things about the La Crosse area is that it has a variety of features for outdoors parties. There are forested bluffs, three rivers—including the Mississippi—and a big marsh with a bunch of beautiful trails to contain the excess water. And there are shelters near each of them*.

Now, having the meetup during spring break is a good idea for availability, assuming everyone's spring break schedule is more or less syncronized. The downside is that it's possible for there to be a bit of snow on the ground depending on prevailing weather patterns.

I was thinking things might be a bit greener if we planned for sometime between mid-April and mid-May.

So what d'ya think? Good idea?

If so, do you have a preference for time and location. (I'll name more specific shelters once I know what features folks are most interested in.)

I'm gonna need some input quickly, 'cause they start taking reservations in January, and the sooner we get it in, the more likely we'll get our first choice.

[hr]*I'm particularly interested in the bluff shelter. The downside is the only shelter that really gives you a good bluffside experience has its primary access road totally washed away, and there's a good chance it will not be repaired in time for the meetup. There are viable detours, but they might cause trouble for out-of-towners.

Zeful
2007-12-16, 09:03 PM
Well how far is La cross from the Twin cities? Will I need to take a greyhound (presuming carpooling isn't availible) Or would a bike be sufficent for travel? Will the site name (giantITP) be used to reserve the space (for once)? How will the money issue be handled? What about video games!? Or at least battery operated ones like Taboo?

These are the things I need to know.

Or at least would like to.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-16, 09:47 PM
Well how far is La cross from the Twin cities?
About two and a half hours by car.

Will I need to take a greyhound (presuming carpooling isn't availible) Or would a bike be sufficent for travel?
I'm not sure if Greyhound stops here anymore. There's no longer a regular station, that much is for sure.

However, Amtrak trains do stop here. I've looked up schedules before. They generally leave St. Paul between 7 and 8 in the morning. and get to La Crosse about 10:30.

Trains going to St. Paul tend to leave about 7 at night.

(More convenient for a St. Paul—La Crosse—St. Paul round trip than the other way around, of course. The way you're going, you get there the morning of and leave later that evening. I'd have to show up the night before and depart the morning after.)

Will the site name (giantITP) be used to reserve the space (for once)?
Only person needing a name is the one making the reservation. Other folks just show up at the shelter and we'll have the whole thing to ourselves. (The shelter, that is. We may have to share the park if other folks come around. :smallwink:)

I think the name that goes into the record books is generally the name of the person or organization getting the bill.

How will the money issue be handled?
Probably gonna be a collection from the participants at the meetup. We really won't know how much each share is until we can be sure how many people will be there.

Of course, since I'd have to make a full payment for the shelter in advance regardless of how many people show up, I'd like a full commitment from at least five or so other people before renting the shelter. If one of the people making the commitment can't make it in the end (I want to set up the paperwork quite early after all), hopefully someone else will take their place.

What about video games!? Or at least battery operated ones like Taboo?
Most (possibly all—have to check) of the shelters do have electrical outlets. So if someone supplied a T.V. and the console, we'd be set there.

Of course, battery operated games work just fine in a park shelter. :smallwink:

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-16, 09:56 PM
About two and a half hours by car.

I myself wouldn't be able to come, then. I can pretty much only make the meetups that are within ~walking distance, and the Chatterbox is about as far as I'm willing to venture. But it'd be nice to have meetups at places other than in St Paul, as not everybody lives in the same town. :smalltongue:

-=-=-=-

The meetup yesterday was fun. I really do wish I'd have played Rockband sooner, though. But I wasn't expecting us to get kicked out till 5. And neither was anybody else, apparently...

Also, I am so sigging the line about Minnesotan spices. :smallbiggrin:

adanedhel9
2007-12-17, 08:24 AM
The meetup was fun... Sorry I bugged out a little early; I wasn't feeling great and I had things (http://www.paizo.com/rpgsuperstar) to work on.

I'll try to get the blackmail evidence pics I took posted soon, but I might not be able to manage that until after Christmas.

Shhalahr, just give me a few weeks notice, and I can be there.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-17, 08:51 AM
Here, this might help for those not familiar with the location:

Mapquest to La Crosse (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=La+Crosse&state=WI&zipcode=54601)

Supagoof
2007-12-17, 10:31 AM
I'd love to go green for a meetup. La Crosse is fine a location by me, and can probably take a few "car-poolers" with me as well. Need a date, don't care when, just so I can coordinate with other things and not overbook myself, which I tend to do a lot!

So put me down for a yes.

Can probably take 2 (maybe 3, pending on if wife wishes to come with or not). - Save you on train tickets and what not.

I know La Crosse is in the neighborhood of our T friends. And by T friends I mean a snarky talk show host and a female hunter, er huntress, um...anyway! Hopefully they'll input word soon as to good dates to meet up.

It was fun at the meetup. Yeah, wish the Chatterbox could have coordinated the "time the room was needed" better, as the mixed signals they gave us was annoying. Also wished my axe didn't have it's issues (http://kotaku.com/gaming/buyer-beware/rock-band-guitar-controllers-failing-325595.php), but have them sending me a replacement already. However it was good to meet new faces as well as catch up with old. And to anyone else who wants to know - Zeb and Alarra really are as cool/nice/fun in person as they are on the boards!

Shadow
2007-12-17, 10:49 AM
And now it's official.
I suck.

I had to miss this meet-up (again) because of work.
I highly doubt that I'll be able to make it to one in the spring, as I'll be in the process of preparing the opening of a sports bar (meaning that I'll be trying to run two different bars until I/we can find a competant replacement for me where I'm at now). Time off will be in extremely short supply.

But I'll keep up on the details just in case.... :smallbiggrin:

Zeful
2007-12-17, 06:08 PM
I shouldn't have any problems getting there if someone drives me (I'm looking at you Supagoof:smallsmile:) and I'll be able to pay my fair share. When (time wise) would we in Minneapolis have to get going?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-17, 06:20 PM
Hm.

Just to help further discussion on location:

Bluff Available Shelters: 1
Pros: Majestic view of the entire city and a glimpse of Minnesota as well; Terrain makes for good hide-and-seek type games
Cons: Terrain hinders more formal sports; likely to have closed roads requiring massive (though easy to follow) detours along county roads.
Marsh: Available Shelters: 3
Pros:two shelters near a zoo and hiking trails; one shelter relatively secluded; all near standard playgrounds
Cons:If early in spring, marsh may be muddy or flooded and filled with the bodies of fish that died over winter.
River Available Shelters: 4 City Parks, 5 County Park
Pros: Several shelters near a beach; County Park shelter near canoe channels; County Park shelter rental only $40 (vs. $50 for City shelter); Some of the most open terrain available for regular sports.
Cons: One of the city shelters is not cleaned very well.

Of course, there are also a number of other park shelters in parks surrounded by more city. But those don't do nothin' for surroundings.

Regarding potential detours, I can give some alternate routes depending on which direction you're coming from. Or we could set up an initial meeting elsewhere in the city and caravan out to the shelter. It makes the bluff location a potential pain, but I personally think it's worth it.

When (time wise) would we in Minneapolis have to get going?
Well, throw in some buffer time to account for unexpected delays, and I'd say 3 to 3.5 hours before the meetup starts. And the start time is currently "Yet to be Determined."

Zeful
2007-12-17, 08:41 PM
Well I've got no issues with the Wisconsin Meetup idea, though, I seem to be the only one with an opinion, so I'll point out one thing.

If it comes down to it Me and Shhalar Windrider will make decisions for the group.

Now I think that the Bluff shelter is a good place to do this. I'm free for most of march and early april.

Cheers.

Supagoof
2007-12-18, 10:36 AM
*Rolls a Bluff check*

Success!

Bluffs sound good to me. And Zeful I just need you to hold out your thumb and raise your pant leg. That's how hitch-hikers get rides. :smallwink: Just kidding, sure I can bring you.

Dates - need to determine those too. Very important. As long as it's not NFL draft day.

3-3.5 hours? You really don't know me. Zeful better take some motion sickness medicene, because I accept your challenge!

Alarra
2007-12-18, 05:59 PM
The meetup was a lot of fun, yes. Although, yeah, it was a pity we got kicked from the room so early. That place was a lot of fun though and it was great getting to meet all of you. Missed you, Shadow. :smallfrown: Someday though.

Throws in a recommendation for some stick throwing (ie kubb) when you all meet in Wisconsin. I doubt I'll be able to make it up again for that one, but we'll see.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-18, 11:57 PM
Well, counting a couple other yeses given to me in discussion elsewhere, I'm thinking I have that "five other people."

And of the three folks other than myself that have registered preferences, blufftop is unanimous. So unless we get a lot of folks beggin' for the rivers or marsh, we're gonna brave the county roads.

(BTW, local news does indirectly confirm that the main road will be down next spring. The headline tells us they hope to have it repaired by next October. And things like this rarely stick to schedule.)

Though he hasn't said as much to me, my brother would probably want to attend. Our best chance for that would be during his spring break (March 15, 16, or 22 for weekends) or after his graduation (after May 17).

I'd prefer it to be earlier than May 17 myself. But there's no telling how hospitable the weather will be in March. I suppose the 22nd is a pretty close to sure thing for good weather, though. And it becomes a true Spring meetup, being so close to the equinox.

Ooh! If everyone's schedule coincides to the extent we could have it on a weekday (unlikely as that is), we could actually hold it on the equinox—Thursday, March 20.

For some reason, I just like the idea of April 26. I rarely have complaints for late April. I know that won't be terribly convenient for my brother, though.

Zeful
2007-12-19, 12:26 PM
Like I've said earlier I'm free from about the middle of march to about the end of April. I've got no issues with any spring date.

Shishnarfne
2007-12-19, 12:55 PM
Ooh, March 20th is actually right in the middle of my Spring Break... maybe I could try to come to this next one.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-28, 12:57 PM
Well, no one requesting otherwise, so I guess we'll take our chances with the detour and go to the bluff, eh?

I guess Saturday, March 22 is a good day, too.

I'll reserve the shelter sometime next week, so if anyone wants something different, say so now.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-02, 04:29 PM
I have just found out that the Bluff shelter is not available until May.

The only shelter available on March 22 is one of the Marsh shelters near the zoo. Of course, the marsh will be pretty crappy until mid-April, and the zoo will still be having winter hours, so the net effect would be little more than a party in a nice shelter. Nothing to get excited about.

I'm not sure how many shelters other than the aforementioned marsh shelter will be open in April, but we may be able to take one of those.

Or we could wait until May and stick with the bluff idea. If we do it in May, I want to be as open as possible for those with school and finals and so forth. In part this is because I myself will be attending the graduation ceremony for certain family members. That pretty much only leaves Memorial Day Weekend (Saturday May 24 or Sunday May 25—I certainly don't want to mess with the actual traffic on Memorial Day itself). Of course, even if not holding it on Memorial Day, I'm sure there'll be a lot more outside traffic on the bluff, so there'll be a bit less privacy.

Since the shelters get rented out pretty quickly, I want to make another rental attempt by Monday. So if you have any preferences, please give them now.

Another_Poet
2008-01-02, 05:03 PM
Well, I don't mind marshes, but I can see how they migt be less than amusing in the rain/snow/cold wheel-of-fortune that is March. I don't mind waiting till May if others prefer that. April 30 and May 1 are a holiday for me, but after that I think any weekend will do.

ap

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-02, 09:12 PM
Well, I don't mind marshes, but I can see how they migt be less than amusing in the rain/snow/cold wheel-of-fortune that is March.
Oh, it's just not the weather that's the problem. It's also all fish that died over winter finally rising to the surface. In fact, a warm and sunny day would make that worse. :smallwink:

Actually, just hit me: Even with the school stuff in my family, the weekend of May 3 or 4 should be pretty good. And we don't have to worry about Memorial Day Weekend traffic.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-07, 10:05 AM
I secured the bluff (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=internal&addtohistory=&latitude=VxBPBczGlMstUcr3hlUCwA%3d%3d&longitude=rrCPVFuyiNj9I%2fzk7FGCBw%3d%3d&name=Granddad%20Bluff&country=US&address=&city=La%20Crosse&state=WI&zipcode=&phone=&spurl=0&&q=Grandad%20Bluff&qc=Cliff) shelter for Saturday, May 3.

We'll have it from 11 am to 10:30 pm (when the park closes). The 11 starting time is mostly to give us time to set anything up. I figure the meetup proper should probably start between noon and 1.

When May 3rd approaches, I'll give out some maps highlighting available detours. (You'll probably have trouble managing it with "Get Directions" on the map above, since the resulting route may include the closed road. You can try, but if "Bliss Road" shows up, you'll have to find another route.)

For those who are not confident in managing the county roads, we can set up a caravan. I'm currently thinking the caravan should meet up in the parking lot of the K-mart on State Road (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=US&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&addtohistory=&cat=&address=2415+STATE+ROAD&city=La+Crosse&state=WI&zipcode=54601), as it is on the city's officially recommended detour route. Unlike the bluff, you can use the "Get directions" feature to find a route there just fine.

So we've got time and location.

Now we just have to figure out menu and activities.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Pizza Parties.

Though I recently saw an ad for Coney Island Hot Dogs claiming they'll deliver to parties anywhere, and I almost want to test that assertion. :smalltongue:

Another classic option is the "Party Sub."

It's a picnic area, so classic picnic food would be good. But that would require a bit more preparation time on certain participants. Though we could spread that effort around if you folks think you can manage bringing something to a pot luck (or maybe "pot we really actually coordinated it so we had more than just two tons of desert". If we go with that, there won't be any charge for food. Just the shelter.

Drawing a blank on other cheap 'n' easy catering options right now. If anyone has any other ideas, say 'em!

I suppose before we get too much further into this, I should ask if anyone that's planning on attending has any special dietary considerations (vegetarian, food allergies, etc.). So I will: Anyone have any special dietary considerations?

Supagoof
2008-01-10, 11:10 AM
I think a potluck picnic would be a great idea. Though is there electric just in case one wants to bring a crockpot full of something?

May 3rd. Got it!

Oh, theme thought. Perhaps we should all bring food in celebration of Cinco De Mayo, which is fairly close to the date. Y'know, like fixings for tacos or similar stuff.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-10, 11:39 AM
I believe all park shelters do have electricity. They gotta run power up to the bluff to keep the lights on the flag up there anyway. :smallwink:

I'm certainly fine with Mexican.

Oh, and if anyone wants to bring alcoholic beverages, I have to let the folks at the Park and Rec office know. There doesn't appear to be any extra charge, but they just want to know. I think it has something to do with the public consumption ordinances that they don't enforce.

In other words, if you want to bring booze, let me know so I can let them know. And if you do, please be sure to exercise moderation. (No one went overboard with it at Chatterbox, so I'm pretty sure I can trust you guys. :smallwink:)

Trog
2008-01-10, 12:32 PM
*pokes head in*

Did someone say booze? Drinking and bluffs don't mix all that well.

Hmm... well given the river deaths Trog supposes that drinking and rivers don't mix well either.

And swamps... well... well nothing goes good with swamps, really. Except for lizard people. And who the heck likes those guys? Frill-less wannabes. :smallannoyed:

Hmm...

We have a Hooters? :smallconfused:

2008-01-10, 01:41 PM
Ok, this really has nothing to do with the meetup, but there's really no better place to put it. I'm currently back home in the Twin Cities, and apparently still looking for a job because I didn't get hired by the Power, which was a job I was really hoping to get. Anywho, at the moment, I've currently got my days free, and am usually bored out of my mind. So, if anyone's got free time during the day, give me a shout. It will be a good excuse to get out of the house for a while.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-10, 02:40 PM
*pokes head in*

Did someone say booze? Drinking and bluffs don't mix all that well.
Oh, yeah. Good point.

But we should have enough people with the sense to keep the others from climbing over the fences.

Hmm... well given the river deaths Trog supposes that drinking and rivers don't mix well either.
Drinking really doesn't mix well with anything really. That's why moderation is key! :smallwink:

Of course, I'm not fond of alcoholic beverages—like any of them—so I don't have the necessary experience to know when that line of moderation has been crossed. So I wouldn't be much help, bluff, river, fences on the bluff, or anything else for that matter.

Maybe I'm crediting everyone with too much responsibility. :smalltongue:

2008-01-10, 03:12 PM
Ok, this really has nothing to do with the meetup, but there's really no better place to put it. I'm currently back home in the Twin Cities, and apparently still looking for a job because I didn't get hired by the Power, which was a job I was really hoping to get. Anywho, at the moment, I've currently got my days free, and am usually bored out of my mind. So, if anyone's got free time during the day, give me a shout. It will be a good excuse to get out of the house for a while.

Trog
2008-01-10, 04:09 PM
Drinking really doesn't mix well with anything really. That's why moderation is key! :smallwink:

Trog lost his keys a long time ago.

Moofin Bard
2008-01-10, 04:34 PM
Hi. Just another Midwesterner here. I'd love to go but I would need a ride. If only it was in Minnesota again. (I need the ride mostly because I'm still in high school) Hopefully that's okay. And don't worry. Drinking is not my thing. One thing though. Mexican food = no for me. I don't do well with spicy foods.

adanedhel9
2008-01-10, 07:28 PM
Mexican doesn't necessarily imply spicy... especially in the Minnesota (Where ketchup is a spice! Really, ask EmeraldRose!)

I will most likely be at the meetup, but I don't know that I'll be able to participate in any carpooling from the cities. Since my parents live in La Crosse, it's kinda hard to come down for just a Saturday. :smallsmile: But I believe Supagoof was working on a carpool.

Andre Fairchilde
2008-01-10, 09:35 PM
We can definately have another meetup at the Chatterbox!

(In St Paul...)

Not this weekend though, perhaps next weekend?

2008-01-11, 03:12 AM
We can definately have another meetup at the Chatterbox!

(In St Paul...)

Not this weekend though, perhaps next weekend?

I'll actually be here next weekend, for once I might actually get to go to something. Although I'd be much more inclined to go if it were across the river.

EmeraldRose
2008-01-12, 09:18 AM
Well, maybe it's time to meet on this side of the river anyway...Where are you these days purple? We're in Eden Prairie, Adan is in St Louis Park. Goof is on this side too...

Thes Hunter
2008-01-12, 10:36 AM
May 3rd is it? Sounds good to me.

I will bring some Sangria or something. Actually put me down for Sangria. As for what else I will bring who knows. Maybe some of my famous chocolate chip cookies, in addition to something that is not a dessert. Cause there is a rule in my family, you can't bring a dessert without bring something else. (it's to make sure there is at least something to eat besides ham and cake. :smalleek: )

Also, peeps don't have to be in town just for the bluffs. We can always discuss doing something after running around 500 ft above the city. :smallbiggrin:

EmeraldRose
2008-01-12, 10:37 AM
Wish we could come out to this meet...unfortunately neither of us has any vacation time forever! :smallfrown:

Have a great time though everyone!

2008-01-12, 04:13 PM
Well, maybe it's time to meet on this side of the river anyway...Where are you these days purple? We're in Eden Prairie, Adan is in St Louis Park. Goof is on this side too...

I'm smack right in the middle of Bloomington (east/west wise at least)

Thes Hunter
2008-01-27, 10:22 AM
Ok, CON of the North is happening in St. Paul Feb 15 through 17.

You can find more information here:
http://www.conofthenorth.org/

I just found out some Reaper people I know will be doing paint and takes up there so it means I would like to go, but it's kinda expensive.

But if it somehow morphed into a mini-meetup, then there is more reason for me to go! :smallbiggrin:

Though I am really jonesing to enter the D&D minis tournament happening next weekend in Eau Clarie. I just know with all our moving that is not going to be possible

Andre Fairchilde
2008-01-27, 04:55 PM
Con of the North + Meet Up? In. (points at Emerald Rose)

2008-01-27, 11:02 PM
Personally, I'd prefer to do a meetup with those around here before mid February, as I could get hired, and be gone by then (at least one can only hope. I hate looking, and want it to be over as quickly as possible).

Thes Hunter
2008-01-27, 11:33 PM
PGCoD though I would really love the oppurtunity to meet you in person, I do not want it at the expense of your continued unemployment. So I hope you can't actually make it, even though it is only in three weeks.

Me and Trog can't say for sure that we can go, but it is looking very possible.

Andre Fairchilde
2008-01-27, 11:42 PM
And those of us in the area can still get together before hand, or afterwards as well. :smallsmile:

Thes Hunter
2008-01-28, 09:54 PM
Me and Trog talked today, and I put it at a 95% likeliness that we can come up for Con of the North. So who's in?

I think Andre has said yay, so Emerald Rose?
Supa goof?
Andriel(sp?)
Buller?

Andre Fairchilde
2008-01-28, 10:10 PM
By the way, we found out today our offer on a house has been accepted!

And in, one way or another!

Shadow
2008-01-28, 11:54 PM
Awesome!

So that means that you have an extra bedroom that'll save me $$ on a hotel room when I finally come to visit right? :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2008-01-28, 11:58 PM
Oh, see, I just assumed that "we have a house" meant that they're going to host all MN area meetups in the future. :smallbiggrin:

Shadow
2008-01-29, 12:02 AM
Ooooh!
BBQ!

I make a killer smoked salmon!

And I call dibs on the extra bed!

Andre Fairchilde
2008-01-29, 12:03 AM
Awesome!

So that means that you have an extra bedroom that'll save me $$ on a hotel room when I finally come to visit right? :smallbiggrin:

:smallannoyed: Now don't be teasing the Vikings fans up here. :smallsmile: Are you making a promise of a visit?

(grabs pen, paper, Outlook calendar, blackberry, etc.)

When are you coming up Shadow? :smallwink: (poised to write down the date and hold Shadow accountable)

(Bears suck.)

Shadow
2008-01-29, 12:05 AM
I can't set a time right now. :smallconfused:

Have you read of my fun at work in Central?
I'm about to leave for the night! :smallsmile:

I've spent 57 of the last 84 hours here.
And I had the DAY OFF yesterday!

Andre Fairchilde
2008-01-29, 12:07 AM
"And I'm not even supposed to be here today!" (Clerks quote brought to AF ~)

Shadow
2008-01-29, 12:10 AM
That's exactly what I was saying all day Sunday until 4pm. I had been here since 2pm Saturday at that point.

And on that note....

I'm out!

G'nite!

Tarinth
2008-01-29, 02:23 PM
So, what about the spring Wisconsin meet up sponsored by Shhalahr Windrider? Has that mexican fiesta fallen apart?

Thes Hunter
2008-01-29, 07:05 PM
So, what about the spring Wisconsin meet up sponsored by Shhalahr Windrider? Has that mexican fiesta fallen apart?

Nope, we have just been discussing things of a sooner nature. :smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-01-29, 08:05 PM
Nope, we have just been discussing things of a sooner nature. :smallbiggrin:
Of course, I'm still fielding menu suggestions. Haven't exactly reached concensus on that.

Pot Luck and Mexican are the front runners.

Maybe make it a Mexican Pot Luck? (But how many people here really know how to make anything other than tacos, quesadillas, and nachos? :smalltongue:)

I suppose if we're gonna have authentic sangria there, I should make sure we're clear on the alcohol thing.

Though as Trog said, Bluff + alcohol = not the brightest idea. :smallfrown:

Satyrquaze
2008-02-04, 04:06 PM
Hi, I'm newish here... is there a still a meet-up in the works?

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-04, 05:29 PM
Hi, I'm newish here... is there a still a meet-up in the works?
Yeah. Take your pick:

There's the one on the 15th involved with this CON of the North thing in the Twin Cities.

The other one in the works will be on May 4 at Granddad Bluff in La Crosse, WI.

Of course, you can pick both if you have the time, travel resources, and desire. :smallbiggrin:

Supagoof
2008-02-05, 03:40 PM
Though as Trog said, Bluff + alcohol = not the brightest idea. :smallfrown:

Plans on bringing a Frisbee.

Go long! Go waaaay long!

Keep going....

What? Bluffs are fun, especially if someone has a 3 person waterballoon shooter.

I don't know about the 15th, as family will be having an occassion that weekend. Though I'm still in and up for the park/bluff!

2008-02-08, 02:50 PM
Well, it seems that I will indeed be here next weekend. However, I won't be going to the Con of the North, mainly because my parents are going to visit my brother at Cornell to see him polevault, and I will have a dog to look after among a few other things. But, I think a meetup would be a good idea nevertheless. I personally would prefer meeting up west of the river, even though the con is in St. Paul. Anywho, I know Andre and ER are in EP (don't know if they're going to the con or not, and Supa is somewhere nearby, and Shadow might be here along with Thes and Trog. Anywho, my suggestions for meeting spots are either somehwere around EP center, as there's loads to do out that way, the Mall of America, or someplace in Block E downtown (Gameworks perhaps). Anywho, that's just my thoughts on the matter.

Shadow
2008-02-08, 03:42 PM
Well, it seems that I will indeed be here next weekend. However, I won't be going to the Con of the North, mainly because my parents are going to visit my brother at Cornell to see him polevault, and I will have a dog to look after among a few other things. But, I think a meetup would be a good idea nevertheless. I personally would prefer meeting up west of the river, even though the con is in St. Paul. Anywho, I know Andre and ER are in EP (don't know if they're going to the con or not, and Supa is somewhere nearby, and Shadow might be here along with Thes and Trog. Anywho, my suggestions for meeting spots are either somehwere around EP center, as there's loads to do out that way, the Mall of America, or someplace in Block E downtown (Gameworks perhaps). Anywho, that's just my thoughts on the matter.

That's a negative for me.
I was going to take Saturday off (and I don't work on Sundays) but an issue arose with my pregnant sister.
I'm still taking Saturday off, but it's so that I can watch my nephew.

Thes Hunter
2008-02-10, 08:18 PM
Ah gosh darn it.

Some time soon we are going to suspect that you are a Turing Test, Shadow, and that you don't actually exist at all! :smallbiggrin:

Trog and I will be going to the Con. Plans for a meetup will probably have to be late... is what I am thinking... but then again I don't know.

We will be leaving our area of Spooky Wisconsin early, I don't know how early that means for Trog and I, but I would like to beat the con by 10 AM and no later. (We will see if that actually happens, though. :smallfrown: )

I am thinking if we do a meetup outside of the con it will have to at 11 PM or later, but it will depend on what events we are able to get into... and stuff. Sorry I can't be more specific, you know how cons go, especially when you haven't pre-reged for stuffs. :smallwink:

EmeraldRose
2008-02-10, 10:23 PM
I don't think we're actually going to be able to make the Con this year, and 11 pm is a little too late for us to be going out and leaving our son. So, maybe we can work something else out, or try another time...

Thes Hunter
2008-02-10, 10:32 PM
I don't think we're actually going to be able to make the Con this year, and 11 pm is a little too late for us to be going out and leaving our son. So, maybe we can work something else out, or try another time...

Hey, I understand.

I would have liked to see you guys, so I could give you a hug in person, but maybe some other time. If we know before hand, I might be able to get a mini painting event set up to happen the weekend we go up there. Now wouldn't that be a hoot for a ton of us to desend on a gaming store and paint a bunch of free minis together?

And PGCoD, sorry to hear you might have been able to make it, since that means no job as of yet. :smallfrown:

Shadow
2008-02-11, 12:51 AM
Some time soon we are going to suspect that you are a Turing Test, Shadow, and that you don't actually exist at all! :smallbiggrin: hahaa!

Well, I planned on coming, but family first, ya know?
Especially when we're talking about my God-Son here.

I'm going to the Southeast(ish) meet-up in June. Try to make it there if you'd like to catch a glimpse of the elusive Shadow.

But bring a flashlight. June may be sunny, but the shadows are deep and my Hide is in the forties. :smallwink:

2008-02-11, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with the negative on 11PM as well. There are really only bars open that late as it is, and it's 20-25 min for me to get to St. Paul, if that would be where were meeting. On top of that, I'll likely have to get up at 7 or so for the dog, since I'm to be the only one here next weekend. Although, after looking at prices, they're not really as bad as I thought they might be. Which would leave things open to coming on Saturday. But, that's probably not an option since I don't want to leave my dog alone all day like that, and I can't see spending the money to get in for only a few hours. I"m still up for doing something with anyone who wants to at some point next weekend. If I don't get out and do something I"m going to go stir crazy being the only one at home for about 3 days.

Thes Hunter
2008-02-12, 09:59 PM
Ok! Change of Plans!

Trog and I decided we need a bed more than we need to go play games for a day.
We are currently sleeping on a twin sized mattress together.

So we are going to head to IKEA in the cities this weekend instead of hit the Con.

So do you guys want to meet up somewhere? And if so where and When, we would be more open on time now since we are coming up to only go shopping. Oh the joys of IKEA.

My suggestions: I love coffee shops, gaming stores with sitting areas are good too. I don't know....

But I think maybe mid afternoonish would be good. Could people do about 2 or 3?

Andre Fairchilde
2008-02-12, 10:03 PM
Yes!

It will be absolutly more easy to meet up, especially since one of my friends will be coming over to play some Cattan game. I think he means Death March of Baatan, but I'm not sure. As long as there's naval battles and war crimes I'll play anything!

2008-02-12, 10:06 PM
Seeing as Ikea is about two blocks away from the Mall of America, I suggest doing something there. I've got some games I can bring if we meet elsewhere too. If it's a coffee shop you want, I say we go for Caribou, as they make really good coffee. As for gaming stores in the immediate area, there really isn't one that's that great, and I have looked. Just let me know when and where, and I should be there.

Thes Hunter
2008-02-12, 10:09 PM
The mall of America could be good. Lots of choices for food, and etc.

PGCoD were you thinking of hanging in the food court? Or hanging in one of the million coffee shops in there.

Anyone have any other suggestions we could consider?

Andre Fairchilde
2008-02-13, 07:06 AM
Talking to ER we maaay be able to host a meet here in Eden Praire - 20 minutes west of the MOA. We'd need to do a lot of cleaning thought.

What times are we talking about, and which day? That has a big effect on the when/where/here for us.

2008-02-13, 12:21 PM
Saturday would be the best day for me, although Sunday would probably work too. I've got to take my parents to the airport on Friday night, but I'm not quite sure what time. Where for me is a bit flexible. If it's at MOA, I say we just figure out a spot and go from there.

Satyrquaze
2008-02-13, 02:01 PM
Saturday would work out best for me.

I can get to the MOA pretty easily depending on when.

EmeraldRose
2008-02-13, 06:38 PM
Maybe the Mall would be the best option...as I don't really want to clean that much. :smalltongue:

adanedhel9
2008-02-13, 06:54 PM
I'm up for a mini-meetup. I should be able to accomodate anyone's plans.

Bookman
2008-02-13, 06:55 PM
Maybe the Mall would be the best option...as I don't really want to clean that much. :smalltongue:

Nononono I think that was Andre VOLUNTEERING to clean up everything FOR you. :wink: Right Andre? :biggrin:

EmeraldRose
2008-02-13, 07:11 PM
Nononono I think that was Andre VOLUNTEERING to clean up everything FOR you. :wink: Right Andre? :biggrin:

*waits for Andre's response...*

:smallamused:

Andre Fairchilde
2008-02-13, 08:23 PM
Clean what? (Papers fall off desk with each word...)

House is clean. Didn't we have two bathrooms? I can't find it... Oh. Behind the laundry. Yeah.

What were we talking about?

Oh yeah. House is clean I think.

Shadow
2008-02-13, 08:32 PM
That's how most men do laundry unless I'm mistaken.

We have three different piles on the floor:
Clean
Dirty
and "Oh my god! What is that SMELL?!?!?"

As long as you don't pull from the third pile you're fine.

Trog
2008-02-13, 11:11 PM
So...

This Saturday at 3 pm at the Mall of America Rotunda (park on the East side), 1st floor

Sound good? :smallsmile:

2008-02-13, 11:25 PM
The rotunda's still a big place and there's bound to be a lot of people there. How about the Caribou Coffee shop on the third floor. It's on the south side of the building, and looks to be between the food court and California Cafe. I haven't been over to the mall in a while, and I remember it being on the other side of the food court across from Famous Dave's, but maybe it's moved. Oh, and 4 will probably work out better for me it looks like, although I might make it at 3:30.

Andre Fairchilde
2008-02-13, 11:33 PM
Probably, we'll have our son though. He's 4 and we're going to need to find something to occupy him.

Trog
2008-02-13, 11:43 PM
Businesses open, close, change location all the time in that mall (I used to work there) The Rotunda doesn't change, which was why I mentioned it. But it IS large. Hmm...

How about we meet in Legoland by the huge lego clock guy at 4 pm?

Andre Fairchilde
2008-02-14, 12:02 AM
Sure. Are we just meeting to hang out, or do you want to try to game?

Where are you staying (looks at spare bedroom with empty bed....)

Bookman
2008-02-14, 12:02 AM
Probably, we'll have our son though. He's 4 and we're going to need to find something to occupy him.

Is Trog going to be introduced as "Mr Trog"? :biggrin: That would be ADORABLE :wink:

2008-02-14, 12:26 AM
Legoland at 4 sounds great to me. Should I bring games, or are we going to occupy ourselves with stuff at the mall. It seems that there's now a new mini golf course where the original one used to be (and the cereal thing after that). FYI, I'll be wearing a red Nats had and a gray Ohio State sweatshirt.

Thes Hunter
2008-02-14, 12:45 AM
OHIO STATE?! Mah. :smallmad:

Silly College rivalries aside, I think peeps should bring games, it leaves our options open.

I was thinking things would go down like this. We meet in Legoland at 4. We shuffle about there for a bit waiting for anyone who might be late, and geeking out over Legos.

We then decide what everyone is in the mood for at the moment. Which could mean, Mini golf, or going someplace to hang/eat, or etc. One good thing about the mall is that there are lots of places to hang, and eat and get something to drink without all of us agreeing on what to eat or drink and etc. But then again, we might have cohesion. *shrug* I am a big one on planning unplanned bits. :smallwink:

EmeraldRose
2008-02-14, 06:42 PM
I'd better bring some paper so I can write down all the things from Legoland that our son will want for his birthday...:smallwink:

Kyrian
2008-02-14, 11:30 PM
I'm interested...but no ride. T_T

2008-02-15, 01:23 PM
I'd better bring some paper so I can write down all the things from Legoland that our son will want for his birthday...:smallwink:

I hear they brought the castle series back into production. I think we have every one of the old ones in our basement.

Shadow
2008-02-15, 01:51 PM
We used to use the castle series instead of figurines for tabletop.
It was great because you could customize them to look exactly like your character. :smallsmile:
It also gave us something to do while the DM was off with different players.
Lego Time!

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-15, 02:37 PM
We used to use the castle series instead of figurines for tabletop.
My "Ad-hoc Miniatures" bag includes several pirate Lego figures. And a Lego ghost, which may have come from a pirate or castle set. Not sure which.

I should really mess with my players and dig out some Space figures. (Anyone remember M-Tron vs. Blacktron?)

EmeraldRose
2008-02-15, 06:47 PM
The castle series is back. He's already got a little bit, but of course, wants more. He also likes the pirates...and Star Wars. He's already asked for the Millenium Falcon and the Imperial Cruiser. :smalleek:

Thes Hunter
2008-02-16, 02:29 AM
A friend of mine back in Ann Arbor, who has a basement full of Legos DM'ed our adventures using solely Legos.

I will always remember the fight with the gargantuan fiendish dire centipede made out of Legos.:smalleek:

Even though I am feeling a bit ill, I will see everyone tomorrow. I am greatly looking forward to it.

Andre Fairchilde
2008-02-16, 09:32 AM
Legoland at 4 sounds great to me. Should I bring games, or are we going to occupy ourselves with stuff at the mall. It seems that there's now a new mini golf course where the original one used to be (and the cereal thing after that). FYI, I'll be wearing a red Nats had and a gray Ohio State sweatshirt.

So - Legoland at 4. No games, just mall activities. Don't remember seeing a mini-golf thing there...

Thes Hunter
2008-02-16, 10:03 AM
Trog and I will be leaving spooky wisconsin shortly.:smallbiggrin:

EmeraldRose
2008-02-16, 10:11 AM
Yay! We'll see everybody there then. Our son is already asking to ride the rides, and buy toys :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-06, 11:32 PM
Well, less than a month before the May 3rd meetup in La Crosse, so I guess we gotta make sure we have all our plans arranged.

We still haven't confirmed the menu. Do we still want to try Mexican?

And should I be thinking about Mexican Pot Luck or looking for catering?

Andre Fairchilde
2008-04-06, 11:47 PM
:smallsmile: Have a great time! Wish we could be there, but it's the last weekend and last paper for my Masters program... :smallsmile:

Zeb The Troll
2008-04-06, 11:51 PM
*wanders into thread, hear's the words "Master's Program" and snickers upon pondering what one would call a post-grad fisherman, then leaves*

SnowballMan
2008-04-08, 06:10 AM
I seem to have missed this thread. Am I too late to get in on the action?

Andre Fairchilde
2008-04-08, 07:31 AM
Nope! Where are you at?

SnowballMan
2008-04-08, 06:33 PM
Suburb of Chicago at present. With a chance of moving to Wisconsin in a month or two.

(side note for others west of Chicago, there is a game convention at the College of DuPage (http://www.codcon.com/) this weekend if anyone is intrested)

Zeful
2008-04-12, 01:23 PM
Well, less than a month before the May 3rd meetup in La Crosse, so I guess we gotta make sure we have all our plans arranged.

We still haven't confirmed the menu. Do we still want to try Mexican?

And should I be thinking about Mexican Pot Luck or looking for catering?

I think that pizza/takeout should be ordered rather than catering.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-12, 02:11 PM
Yeah. With no one giving other opinions, it seems I may have difficulty getting an appropriate headcount for how much to order if we want to set up something in advance. Likewise, this lack of direct commentary makes me worry if we'll have enough to trust in a pot luck.

Pizza's probably easist. They can deliver, at least. It'll also keep things inexpensive.

Thes, are you still planning on bringing sangria anyway? I don't have alcohol clearance yet.

quackman
2008-04-20, 12:36 AM
A friend of mine back in Ann Arbor, who has a basement full of Legos DM'ed our adventures using solely Legos.

I will always remember the fight with the gargantuan fiendish dire centipede made out of Legos.:smalleek:

Even though I am feeling a bit ill, I will see everyone tomorrow. I am greatly looking forward to it.

Totally off topic, but I can't say how much I miss that game. For that matter, how much I miss all of you, with, as strip #549 says, "one unfortunate exception". Though I don't really recall the centipede that well. Must have been one of your kills, not mine.

When are you coming to visit, and who do we get to run the one shot adventure?

Thes Hunter
2008-04-20, 01:08 AM
Totally off topic, but I can't say how much I miss that game. For that matter, how much I miss all of you, with, as strip #549 says, "one unfortunate exception". Though I don't really recall the centipede that well. Must have been one of your kills, not mine.

When are you coming to visit, and who do we get to run the one shot adventure?

I don't know if it was a centipede or a giant bug of some sort. But I do believe Broniac took it out faster than Fritzholm had wanted.

Wow, it's a sign that I have truly fallen off the face of the planet when my friends have to cyber stalk me to find me. I'll give you a call tomorrow, because now I know you aren't so mad at me for not calling sooner that you never want to speak to me again. So my guilt over it is slightly abated. :smalleek: :smallredface:

Shadow
2008-04-20, 01:19 AM
Suburb of Chicago at present. With a chance of moving to Wisconsin in a month or two.

(side note for others west of Chicago, there is a game convention at the College of DuPage (http://www.codcon.com/) this weekend if anyone is intrested)

Where ya at?
I'm in Lisle (for the next couple of months at least) which is next to Naperville.

Andre Fairchilde
2008-04-20, 10:18 AM
I don't know if it was a centipede or a giant bug of some sort. But I do believe Broniac took it out faster than Fritzholm had wanted.

Wow, it's a sign that I have truly fallen off the face of the planet when my friends have to cyber stalk me to find me. I'll give you a call tomorrow, because now I know you aren't so mad at me for not calling sooner that you never want to speak to me again. So my guilt over it is slightly abated. :smalleek: :smallredface:

You know, I've been hoping for a phone call too... :smallsmile: I just tried again last night. Didn't leave a message this time though.

loves_to_laugh
2008-04-20, 10:43 AM
I have just stumbled upon this thread. I would love to go to a meet-up! I seemed to have missed a couple already. I live in a lovely(ish) Minneapolis suburb. I am up for anything anywhere. I don't know enough gaming people!

Shadow
2008-04-20, 01:10 PM
You know, I've been hoping for a phone call too... :smallsmile: I just tried again last night. Didn't leave a message this time though.

I know you're talking about someone else here, but sorry I couldn't answer last night.
Work, work, work, ya know!

Thanks for thinkin' of me though! :smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-24, 10:38 AM
Okay. Week and a half before the La Crosse Meetup!

Who's bringing what? I think someone asked about video games. I can see about bringing my T.V.

Be sure to bring some board games or card games.

And, of course, outdoors games!

I'll see what our pizza options are this weekend.

Zeful
2008-04-24, 01:36 PM
I could bring some of my M:tG cards.

For the pizza I would like mushrooms on it.

adanedhel9
2008-04-24, 05:12 PM
Unfortunately, I might not be coming. The go-live that was supposed to happen this weekend has been pushed back to next weekend. And there's no getting out of supporting a go-live.

Sorry. :smallfrown:

EmeraldRose
2008-04-24, 06:52 PM
Mmm...pizza.

*contemplates going for the pizza...remembers there is pizza nearby as well*

Maybe another time :smallwink:

loves_to_laugh
2008-04-24, 07:12 PM
Aww... Geez. May 3rd!?!? I am completely booked that day! Darn. I guess I will have to wait for the next one. :smallfrown:

Andre Fairchilde
2008-04-24, 08:19 PM
I'm sure we'll be doing something pretty soon. We had a bigger gathering in August last summer in St Paul; I'd like to do something up here again sooner...

Zeb The Troll
2008-04-24, 09:14 PM
*fondly remembers 'hard core' meetup in the middle of January when it was a balmy 2oF. no Kuub that weekend, but the hotel hot tub sure was nice :smallcool: *

*waves at MN'ers who put up with us for a weekend*

*waves at Trog and Thes who happened to be going through Puddlejumper Intl Airport at the same time we were*

Andre Fairchilde
2008-04-24, 09:49 PM
(Waves back)

You're welcome back anytime, as it may be *a while* before we're able to head east on any kind of vacation.

Vibrant
2008-04-29, 08:01 PM
subscribing...being in LaCrosse four days from now is out, but I'm all about the next Twin Cities-based meet. :smallsmile:

Andre Fairchilde
2008-04-29, 08:50 PM
Hello Vibrant! Can't wait to meet you! Telamor and I were just talking today at work... can't wait to get the games hooked up too.

Last year we met in late August, but I have a feeling we'll be meeting *much* earlier than that.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-03, 12:04 AM
Previous posts collected into spoiler to avoid quad-post, 'cause apparently I'm only talking to myself:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Post 1: Re: Midwest GiTP Meet-up! Part Deux (04-30-2008, 08:31 AM GMT -5)
Okay, I'm getting a lot of people dropping out on this one. Particularly troublesome is it includes a few people I was counting on. Likewise, no one's really contributing to discussion (except for Zeful).

Who is going to be in La Crosse?

[hr]

In any case: Here's a map to the bluff (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=6898833121890714136,43.811985,-91.211414&saddr=La+Crescent&daddr=43.790676,-91.192961+to:Grandad's+Bluff+%4043.811985,-91.211414&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1&sll=43.801146,-91.208067&sspn=0.032213,0.055189&ie=UTF8&ll=43.805297,-91.206436&spn=0.064421,0.110378&z=13) that includes the construction detour. I trust those of you not coming via La Crescent will be able to adjust. If not, ask me for help, and let me know what direction you'll be coming from.

If anyone's worried about the detour, we can caravan. There's a K-Mart on Losey Boulevard and State Road, which the route on this map passes by. We can meet up in the parking lot there at 11:30. But if you want to do that, let me know by Friday afternoon. I will not be there unless you ask me.

Otherwise, be at the bluff 'bout noontimes, and we can get the party started!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon4.gif Post 2: Re: Midwest GiTP Meet-up! Part Deux (05-01-2008, 12:25 AM GMT -5)
Anyone?

Bueller?

Is it even going to be worth my time for me to show up?

Did I rent the shelter for nothing?

:smallfurious: Post 3: A Colossal Waste (05-01-2008, 11:47 PM GMT -5)
Okay.

Since it appears no one will be attending the meetup, I am taking suggestions for alternative uses for a bluff-top park shelter. I'll have it all day.

Well, I'm gonna be there 'till 1:00 at least. Give any of ya a chance to show up if you're gonna.

I really hope I'm not just gonna be up there all by myself.

EmeraldRose
2008-05-03, 09:17 AM
Aww, Shhalahr, I wish we could make it out there! I'm sorry it fell thru this time, but don't let it stop you planning one out again...

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-03, 02:11 PM
* Self-scrubbed *

http://s14.divshare.com/files/2008/05/03/4407334/emptyShelter.JPG

* Self-scrubbed *

Yeah. That is a picture of all the attendants minus me (the photographer).

…but don't let it stop you planning one out again...
Really?

Kinda hard to justify having faith in the whole affair after wasting $64.07 on the above. Would have been more, but I at least had enough sense to not buy very much in the way of chips and pop after it started shaping up to be a bust. I just kinda hoped maybe two or three people would still show up.

It seems my faith was misplaced.

Andre Fairchilde
2008-05-03, 03:39 PM
(Listening to Slayer - Reign in Blood I secretly bought today without ER knowing about it. It's on "11" by the way.)

SW -

(edit)

Sorry I happen to be writing my 78th and final paper for my MBA this weekend, but if you want to PM me your address I'll send you a personal check for $20 to cover a quarter of what our gas cost would have been to drive to Wisconsin today.

But, the deal will be forgiving everyone here and never mentioning this again. Please remember that most of the board members do not have cars/live with their parents. Or are Shadow.

ER and William went the other way up I 94 to my parents cabin to let me write finish my paper.

loves_to_laugh
2008-05-04, 10:09 PM
Hey it's ok. I would have except that I didn't find this board until after I already had a party planned for the same time. I am up for having a new event (hopefully with a better turn-out).

Supagoof
2008-05-07, 10:05 AM
Didn't you use your special glasses? We all had them on! Here, I took a picture too using the special lense for the camera.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g284/supagoof/Oots%20for%20Goof/emptyShelter1.jpg

Aside - DAMMIT!

I completely forgot. I guess I should have subscribed to this thread so I could keep up with updates. It wasn't until I chatted with Andre that he reminded me, but at that point it wsa too late.

I'm sorry for letting you down Shhalahr.

That doesn't mean I won't help with paying for this. You shouldn't be stuck with the bill just because plans fell through. PM me your paypal account or address and I'll send funds your way.

Vibrant
2008-05-07, 12:30 PM
Didn't you use your special glasses? We all had them on! Here, I took a picture too using the special lense for the camera.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g284/supagoof/Oots%20for%20Goof/emptyShelter1.jpg

ROFL at that pic. :biggrin:

Definitely looking forward to the next MW meetup.

EmeraldRose
2008-05-07, 06:27 PM

*snip*

AWESOME!!! :smallbiggrin:

This is the best meet-up picture EVER!!!

Andre Fairchilde
2008-08-12, 10:41 PM
Please note the new Midwest meetup thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86054).