PDA

View Full Version : Location, location, location

TheThan
2015-10-15, 04:52 PM
Ok so I’m probably going to run a D20 modern one shot for my friends this Halloween, it’s a zombie apocalypse game based off of the left4dead games. I’ve got to draw maps and plan out encounters. I need some ideas for cool places to have to fight through.

The game will take place in a fictitious town of my creation. thus far i have:
old Spanish mission (starting location)
factory of some sort.

Piedmon_Sama
2015-10-15, 05:03 PM
A university lecture hall (with the raised seating). How many times have I pictured making a last stand against a zombie horde in one of those....

For that matter, a surgical theater at a medical school. Imagine zombies dropping down from above onto the operating floor.

Maybe a crashed ocean liner (an outbreak onboard left it careening into the wharf where it crashed and embedded into the city's foundations).

VoxRationis
2015-10-15, 05:24 PM
A long, narrow railroad bridge.

Draconium
2015-10-15, 05:41 PM
An old, rotting manor house with maze-like hallways and lots and lots of holes.

Piedmon_Sama
2015-10-15, 07:19 PM
similar to the ocean liner idea, what about a hotel where the PCs start out at the top and have to fight their way to the bottom? You could have the elevator out and a horde of zombies filling the stairwell so they have to either figure a way down the shaft or have a hard fight, with regular retreats onto different floors to look for ammunition/health-ups (??) necessary to clear the entire stairwell. Of course the hotel floors have different challenges, like a zombie window wiper waiting to burst through the big French windows in one suite or a big fat zombie stuck in the bathtub above a medical supply kit.

MrZJunior
2015-10-16, 07:52 AM
A metro system. It's dark, underground, and tight with limited exits.

VoxRationis
2015-10-16, 11:45 AM
like a zombie window wiper waiting to burst through the big French windows in one suite

How did a window washer get infected on the job?

Piedmon_Sama
2015-10-16, 12:12 PM
How did a window washer get infected on the job?

fatal work accident involving a higher scaffold and a heavy bucket.

or he got stranded up there during the outbreak and died of exposure/starvation/heart failure, whichever.

RadioDask
2015-10-16, 12:14 PM
-A highway/railroad tunnel with cave ins and side passages.
-A swamp boat where zombies crawl out of the mire and onboard.
-A jungle canopy with rope bridges and waterfalls.
-A crashed aircraft/helicopter.
-The ruins of a school.
-A strip mall.
-A drug lab.
-Iron foundry
-Car assembly line (with the robot arms still running, of course)
-Ski resort

Honest Tiefling
2015-10-16, 12:26 PM
A hotel, either the fancy sort or a motel. In the case of the later, they need to barricade or search the place.
A junkyard, complete with stacks of cars.
An abandoned amusement park, if one wants to go with a classic.
Campgrounds would be another classic, but with very tall trees...

Jelly d6
2015-10-16, 03:33 PM
A concert hall.

A museum.

A train going at 60 mph through never-ending wilderness. The first player who cracks a joke about railroading as a reward will get their character eaten first :smallwink:

Piedmon_Sama
2015-10-16, 04:37 PM
A danceclub with the music and flashing lights still going. The strobe grants concealment/25% miss chance! Also a good time for some scene-setting music.

An SCA event held in the woods. Hack and slash your way to the parking lot!

The studio building of a local Public-Access channel. Shoot your way through the sets of beloved childrens' favorites and blow the hairpiece off a zombie anchorman!

Cackling Poop
2015-10-19, 12:04 AM
A comic convention center filled with zombies still wearing their cosplay outfits lol

Spartakus
2015-10-19, 04:07 PM
- a strip club
- Oktoberfest
- a LARP
- a nuclear power station still running (someone has to shut the damned thing down! What do you mean the city lost power?)
- a zoo (apperently lions and elephants are immune, gorillas are not)
- alcatraz
- a submarine
- the white house
- barracks (great place to find better weapons)

Thinker
2015-10-19, 04:55 PM
A TV or radio station
An auto racetrack
The governor's mansion
A baseball stadium
A local park
An office park
A Walmart

dream
2015-10-19, 05:39 PM
A 'Walmart-like' store. People are always there. They have guns and ammo. They have food. They have many rooms for shelter. They have security cameras. You can lock doors. When the SHTF, I'm going to Walmart.

Knaight
2015-10-20, 02:26 AM
The inside of an abandoned coal mine, with severe structural problems.

Storm_Of_Snow
2015-10-20, 09:02 AM
- a strip club

From Dusk Till Dawn says Hi. :smallwink:

-A strip mall.

A 'Walmart-like' store. People are always there. They have guns and ammo. They have food. They have many rooms for shelter. They have security cameras. You can lock doors. When the SHTF, I'm going to Walmart.

Dawn of the Dead says Hi. :smallwink:

My thoughts:
No one's mentioned a Graveyard yet? :smallamused:

An airport - whether it's an intercontinental hub with long-range airliners, a single terminal local airport served by CropDuster Airlines, or a grass airfield with a couple of sheds and some light aircraft (towards the former if you want a single location, towards the latter if you want to run through a series of locations).

A classic 60's style American Diner.

A short trip through the sewers.

One of the characters homes (don't have a zombified loved one or pet in there though).

A storage locker site - maybe there's a survivalist who's stored a load of weapons, tinned food and so on there.

Although how are you going to stop the players trying to grab a car and get the heck out of there without unrealistically blocking everywhere off, destroying all the petrol and so on?

Or you could just clear the floor and break out a copy of Zombies/Humans.

TheThan
2015-10-20, 04:49 PM
So far this is what I have for my left 4 dead game. I’m planning at least two campaigns. I’ve got the first planned out and am working on the second. i know that nobody that would be playing in this game is on this site so i don't need to warn them about spoiler.

Campaign 1: School's out

Stage one:
The heroes have to fight their way out of the chapel of an old Spanish mission, out the back into a street. That street is blocked off, and they must escape down an alley and into the back of a strip joint, where there is a crescendo event (loud music, strobe lights) and a witch in the dressing room, they must escape out the front cross a street and into a safe room in some apartments (i Imagine some pretty seedy apartments).

Stage two
From the apartments they cross into a public access TV station, out the back into another alley way which leads into a college where they find themselves in a surgery theater; here they have to deal with a tank that crashes down from the glass ceiling. Once they kill the tank and escape, they find some dorms with a safe room set up in it.

Stage three:
From the dorms they go across the quad and out to the large parking lot, from the parking lot they go into a football stadium where the evacuation center is at. It’s abandoned and they have to fight infected while trying to refuel a military jeep and escape as a finale.

Campaign 2: title yet to be determined

Stage 1:
The military jeep breaks down near a wallyworld and they can raid it for supplies. Behind wallyworld there is a strip mall, the PCs must go through the strip mall, into a dog park where there are zombie poodles. From there they enter a residential area. Where they find a safe room in someone’s bomb shelter.

Stage 2:
The characters will have to leave the residential area and travel through a mini-storage rental place, you know with the sheds and everything. This leads to a street where they have to go down and find a safe room in a police station (abandoned).

That's pretty much it so far. I want to finish off this one with the survivors escaping on a train. That would leave it open for more (since i'm leaving this open for a possible ongoing campaign if there's enough interest). I need places to go from a police station, I love alot of the ideas, that have been presented (and I'm using some of them), I do want to incorporate a junk yard as the idea of zombie Doberman Pinscher guard dogs tickles me. I would probably place that near the end. I also want to incorporate a factory, probably producing something topical, like Halloween masks or candy somesuch, this would also most likely be placed towards the end, I imagine the final map would be an industrial rail yard; and they have to hold off infected while they wait for a train to pass and leap upon. I just need to figure out how to get from a residential area to an industrial area. HRRM.

Storm_Of_Snow
2015-10-21, 04:22 AM
I just need to figure out how to get from a residential area to an industrial area. HRRM.
Easy - the residential area was originally built to house the workers for the major industrial plant in that area, so they didn't have far to travel to get to work (and perhaps so the industrialist could get most of the salary he was paying his workers back in the form of rent). :smallsmile:

Thinker
2015-10-21, 11:33 AM
That's pretty much it so far. I want to finish off this one with the survivors escaping on a train. That would leave it open for more (since i'm leaving this open for a possible ongoing campaign if there's enough interest). I need places to go from a police station, I love alot of the ideas, that have been presented (and I'm using some of them), I do want to incorporate a junk yard as the idea of zombie Doberman Pinscher guard dogs tickles me. I would probably place that near the end. I also want to incorporate a factory, probably producing something topical, like Halloween masks or candy somesuch, this would also most likely be placed towards the end, I imagine the final map would be an industrial rail yard; and they have to hold off infected while they wait for a train to pass and leap upon. I just need to figure out how to get from a residential area to an industrial area. HRRM.

Residential area -> Storage yard -> Strip mall -> Police Station -> County government buildings -> Road out of town -> Tunnel under river (or overpass over highway) to get out of town -> Junkyard -> Factory -> Railyard

TheThan
2015-10-21, 01:06 PM
Residential area -> Storage yard -> Strip mall -> Police Station -> County government buildings -> Road out of town -> Tunnel under river (or overpass over highway) to get out of town -> Junkyard -> Factory -> Railyard

Brilliant!

Now to get to work.

thanks for all the info guys, you've been a tremendous help. I've gotten so many good ideas i simply couldn't use them all.