PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrewed class: Pirate (classical western one)

PoeticDwarf
2015-10-19, 01:58 AM
Pirate

"So you think I can only command others? You think my job is eating and watching? Disgusting wizard?" Asked the pirate "I'll tell you something,
while you was still reading your first book, I was a dreaded pirate already. Before your family existed, my ancestors ruled the sea, and I've killed more
dragons alone than you did with that whole party of you, what you think of me now?"

"That are just words" the wizard replied wisely, "I didn't become mighty because I believe everything others say."
The pirate spoke again, without the tact of the wizard, but with the bravery of a hero "Are you challanging me? I can kill you here and now." The pirate was
angry now, he drew his longsword and attacked the wizard, they never found the wizard alive.

Pirates are mighty legends, once their ancestors lived on the sea, but some of them didn't even "sea" the sea in their life. A pirate uses the tactics and the resources the sea gives
to kill his/her enemies, pirates will there always be, even in dimensions without water. Being pirate isn't a job, it is a way of fighting.

Level: Features:
1 Pirate's familiar, seaborn
2 Sneakattack
3 Archetype feature
4 ASI
5 Extra attack
6 Familiar improvement
7 Archtype feature
8 ASI
9 Canon's fire
10 Familiar improvement
11 Pirate's stories
12 ASI
13 Archtype feature
14 Familiar improvement
15 Fast ship
16 ASI
17 Familiar improvement
18 Archtype feature
19 ASI
20 Ultimate familiar

As a pirate, you gain the following features:

Hit points
Hit dice 1d8 per pirate level
Hit points at first level 8+ your constitution modifier
Hit points at higher levels 1d8 (or 5) + constitution modifier

Proficiencies
Armor Light armor
Weapons Simple weapons, tridents, scimitars, rapiers
Tools vehicles (water)

Saving throws Strength and Dexterity
Skills Choose two from: Acrobatics, animal handling, athletics, deception, history, perception, sleight of hand, stealth

First level: Seaborn
You gain a swimming speed and a climbing speed equal to half your walking speed, you also have advantages on stealth checks in coast

First level: Pirate's familiar
You can cast find familiar, uses: prof. bonus/day, when you do so, you can also summon a parrot (use raven stats).
This parrot can have different colo(u)rs, each one gives another bonus (see familiar spoiler).

You can have one familiar at a time, you can switch from familiar as bonus action, but that costs one use. The familiar has hit points equal to three times your pirate level.

Second level: Sneak attack
As a rogue, but you have it on the following levels: 2 (1d6), 7 (2d6), 12 (3d6), 17 (4d6)

Third level: Archtype
You can choose an archetype, you can choose between Viking, Sea Mage and ???

Fourth level: ASI
Ability score improvement as other classes, nothing special here, levels 4, 8, 12, 16, 19

Fifth level: Extra attack
Extra attack as other classes, nothing special here

Sixth level: Familiar improvement
You can forge one of your attacks to let your familiar attack, adding your prof. bonus to attack and damage roll.
When you reach level 14, your familiar can attack twice when you forge your attack

Ninth level: Canon's fire
You can a number of times equal to your inteligence modifier per day add sneak attack on two attacks on your turn. You can spend an use at the beginning of your turn to have that turn two times sneak attack.

Tenth level: Familiar improvement
Your familiar buffs you better, see familiar spoiler

Eleventh level: Pirate's stories
You can once per day inspire your crew, if you tell a story for 10 minutes you give temporary hit points to up to four people (OTHER THAN YOU) who listened to the story, the temporary hit points are
equal to your pirate level.

Fourteenth level: Familiar improvement
You can let your familiar attack two times when you forge your attack. You can also let your familiar attack once as a bonus action, but it then only adds your prof. bonus to damage OR attack roll.

Fifteenth level: Fast ship
You gain a bonus on initiative equal to half your proficiency bonus (rounded up, so in fact just a +3 bonus nothing more nothing less)

Seventeenth level: Familiar improvement
See familiar spoiler

Twentieth level: Ultimate familiar
Your can change from familiar at will, but it still costs a bonus action, you can't summon your familiar at will.
Also, when you summon your familiar, it has temporary hit points equal to its maximum hit points (probably 60).
Your familiar also adds prof. bonus to AC, skills and the DC of its mimic feature.

Blue: Your swim speed is now equal to your walking speed, instead of half (On level 10 your climb speed is also walking speed and on level 17 you have half your speed
flying speed while outdoors)
Red: When you make a weapon attack, you can choose to deal fire damage instead of the normal attack damage (on level 10 you can also deal normal damage + 1d4 fire damage once per turn and on level 17 on all your attack)
Black: You have a stealth bonus equal to your inteligence modifier if you don't have expertise in stealth (on level 10 dexterity modifier instead of int. and on level 17 you get expertise in stealth instead of dex.)
Yellow You have +1 in all int. skills you aren't trained in (level 10 also +1 on a mental save and on level 17 +2 on those skills, and no mental save)
Green You have +1 in all wis. skills you aren't trained in (level 10 also +1 on a mental save and on level 17 +2 on those skills, and no mental save)
Pink You have +1 in all cha. skills you aren't trained in (level 10 also +1 on a mental save and on level 17 +2 on those skills, and no mental save)
Purlple When you have to make an athletics check, you can use acrobatics instead (on level 10 you can replace every strength check for a dexterity check and on level 17 you have advantage on dexterity checks who were official strength checks)
White When someone hits you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to deal 1d4 radiant damage to the target (1d8 on level 10 and 1d12 on level 17)
Brown Your speed increases with 10ft (level 10 it becomes 15ft and level 17 20ft)

Viking: Angry? I'll show you angry
Level 3: You gain prof. with medium armor, shields, battleaxes and longswords. You can also sneak attack with battleaxes, longswords and tridents
Level 7: Once per day you can go in a rage, getting everything a barbarian rage gives on level 1 but you can't get extra rage damage on an attack
if you use sneakattack on that attack
Level 13: When you carry a trident, longsword or battleaxe in one hand, the weapon deals the same amount of damage as if you would carry it in two hands
Level 18: When you go in a rage, you also get the berserker level three feature, or one of the level three features of totem warrior. Choose this when you
gain this feature.
that attack

Sea mage: The sea gives more than brute force
Level 3: Spellcasting as arcane trickster/eldritsch knight, choose from abjuration and enchantment spells
You also get an hat as an action (one at a time), this hat is your spellcasting focus and you don't need free hands for it
Level 7: WHen you summon a parrot (not when you change) and you roll a 1-3 on the d10 you get a random effect from the wild magic table if you want.
Level 13: You hat can produce sounds, you can make verbal components through your hat, but only if you are within 20ft of your hat
Level 18: When you roll on the wild magic table, you can roll twice and choose between the results.

I really don't know what a third archtype should be, but I think there should be one so please help me:smallsmile:

ImSAMazing
2015-10-19, 02:23 AM
Allright, I am going to give SOME feedback on this, because I am running out of time and going on holidays.

First, I like the idea of a pirate having a parrot, but I don't like the idea of it giving flat bonusses. Make it so that if you are UNTRAINED in the skill, you get a specific bonus.

Second, why not give the Viking the extra Rage damage on a sneakattack? It is only +2, it won't make that big of a difference. You are already handing out flat bonusses anyway so why not :smallwink:

Third, Why doesn't the summon familiar mechanic use proficiency bonus? Every other mechanic like it(Bardic Inspiration, extra attack from War Domain, etc) just uses an ability score modifier.

Fourth, why does a PARROT give you FLAT bonusses on mental saves?!? I would also make that if you aren't proficient in it, because this way, I think it could be abused.

Fifth, does Sneak Attack from Rogue + Pirate stack?

Sixth, how could a Pirate kill a Wizard :smallwink:

Seventh, I like the idea of a Seamage, but I think Abjuration and Evocation would be better schools, because of protecting AND destroying enemy ships.

PoeticDwarf
2015-10-19, 03:39 AM
Allright, I am going to give SOME feedback on this, because I am running out of time and going on holidays.

First, I like the idea of a pirate having a parrot, but I don't like the idea of it giving flat bonusses. Make it so that if you are UNTRAINED in the skill, you get a specific bonus.

Second, why not give the Viking the extra Rage damage on a sneakattack? It is only +2, it won't make that big of a difference. You are already handing out flat bonusses anyway so why not :smallwink:

Third, Why doesn't the summon familiar mechanic use proficiency bonus? Every other mechanic like it(Bardic Inspiration, extra attack from War Domain, etc) just uses an ability score modifier.

Fourth, why does a PARROT give you FLAT bonusses on mental saves?!? I would also make that if you aren't proficient in it, because this way, I think it could be abused.

Fifth, does Sneak Attack from Rogue + Pirate stack?

Sixth, how could a Pirate kill a Wizard :smallwink:

Seventh, I like the idea of a Seamage, but I think Abjuration and Evocation would be better schools, because of protecting AND destroying enemy ships.

First: Not a bad point, but I dont see a problem in the playtest with a friend here

Second: You say why doesn't give it rage damage then, why would it give extra rage damage then?

Third: Well, it works at least, it is all about that

Fourth: It gives +1, and proficient would be way more, too much

Fifth: Not sure about that

Sixth: Well a level 7 wizard can call itsself mighty, and a level 7 pirate (or just higher) can do it easily

Seventh: But it isn't only about protecting and destorying, the fluff is that the sea gives more than brute force so enchantment sounds for me better

Not bad points at all, not sure about point 1 and 5
Any other feedback, you think it is balanced???

I'm a Player
2015-10-19, 04:31 AM
When I was reading this I thought it was a cool idea, but I missed one thing:smallwink:. When you are talking about a pirate I will always think about a man with a parrot AND a eyepatch. And pirates wore that thing because if they were going under the deck they could switch the eyepatch to the other eye so they could see in the dark because the eye that had the eyepatch on it was used to the dark. Maybe you can add that to your class too. So if the player switches his/her eyepatch to the other eye (s)he gets a 5ft. dark vision or something.

Oh sorry for my bad English I'm not from a country where they speak English.

PoeticDwarf
2015-10-19, 04:58 AM
When I was reading this I thought it was a cool idea, but I missed one thing:smallwink:. When you are talking about a pirate I will always think about a man with a parrot AND a eyepatch. And pirates wore that thing because if they were going under the deck they could switch the eyepatch to the other eye so they could see in the dark because the eye that had the eyepatch on it was used to the dark. Maybe you can add that to your class too. So if the player switches his/her eyepatch to the other eye (s)he gets a 5ft. dark vision or something.

Oh sorry for my bad English I'm not from a country where they speak English.

Cool idea, maybe I can add it as a second level feature, I'll think about it.

ImSAMazing
2015-10-19, 08:58 AM
I agree about the Eyepatch, but give it at lvl 1. It is just like Thieves Cant and Druidic, you don't really use it that much. 5' Darkvision isn't going to make a big difference. If you really want to nerve it make it an action.

I ment that if you can only raise a mental save that you ARENT proficient in by +1,

I'm a Player
2015-10-19, 12:09 PM
Cool idea, maybe I can add it as a second level feature, I'll think about it.

I think you could add it as a lvl 1 feature it isnt that good. But you have to decide.

PoeticDwarf
2015-10-20, 01:34 AM
I agree about the Eyepatch, but give it at lvl 1. It is just like Thieves Cant and Druidic, you don't really use it that much. 5' Darkvision isn't going to make a big difference. If you really want to nerve it make it an action.

I ment that if you can only raise a mental save that you ARENT proficient in by +1,

I understand that, and I mean that +1 isn't a big difference anyway, and that most pirates dont have proficiency in a mental save anyways because resillent is almost always better for con

PoeticDwarf
2015-10-20, 01:35 AM
I think you could add it as a lvl 1 feature it isnt that good. But you have to decide.

Yes that's more logical, I agree, but it then gives three things on first level and just one on level 2, on the other side it isn't really good.

ImSAMazing
2015-10-25, 03:32 AM
Yes that's more logical, I agree, but it then gives three things on first level and just one on level 2, on the other side it isn't really good.

Look at the Rogue class. It is inspired by the class, yes? So why not?

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-27, 10:53 AM
Look at the Rogue class. It is inspired by the class, yes? So why not?

It isn't inspired by the rogue class at all, also, because the rogue gets something I think isn't logical doesn't mean my Pirate class should have it.

I think it maybe can better be something for the third archetype.

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-12, 05:44 AM
Also, what I still want to say, ImSAMazing said several times he doesn't like flat bonusses, but for example dueling and armored gives flat bonusses, shield gives flat bonus, shield of fait does, pass without trace, and there is WAY more, there are also features with prof. bonus...

davison357
2017-07-17, 04:22 AM
As regards your third sub-class, I don't have any firm ideas, but what about calling it "Captain" or "Tactician" or something. You could make the features something along the lines of inspiring your party and de-buffing the enemy. Maybe give him a few uses of something similar to Bardic Inspiration (although maybe he can inspire as a Reaction). Or perhaps he is a dreaded captain, renowned across the seas, and as an Action he can cast spells like Fear, or he imposes disadvantage on enemy he is in melee with, unless the enemy attacks him (or someone else, your choice). Or maybe allies within 30 feet of him are granted resistance to effects like fear, charm, etc.

This sub-class would be obviously of less benefit to the pirate directly, and of more benefit to the "crew" of which he is part.

Vogie
2017-07-17, 10:39 AM
Here's an idea for a Third Archetype:

Master Mariner/Chief Mate
While most pirates focus on using the ship as a tool to an end, a Master Mariner sees the ship as an end in itself.

Level 3: In lieu of Find Familiar, a Master Mariner attunes him or herself to a specific ship over 24 hours. Your ship itself becomes the Pirates' Familiar, changing its color and providing the bonuses of the Pirate Familiar table while on or within 100 ft of the attuned ship.

Once per short rest, you can cast Locate object targeting the attuned ship without material components. Once per short rest, You may also cast Mending without material components, as long as you are targeting the ship itself.

Level 6: In lieu of Familiar Improvement, you gain Inspiring Words
You can inspire others through stirring, often shouted, words. To do so, you use a bonus action on your turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you. That creature gains one Inspiration die, a d8. This acts as the Bardic inspiration ability.

Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes. The creature can wait until after it rolls the d20 before deciding to use the Inspiration die, but must decide before the GM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Once the Inspiration die is rolled, it is lost. A creature can have only one Inspiration die at a time.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (a minimum of once). You regain any expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Your Inspiration die changes when you reach certain levels in this class. The die becomes a d10 at 10th level, and a d12 at 15th level.

Level 7: Deck master
While on the deck of the attuned ship, you can do the work of multiple crew members, seemingly by yourself. You may castUnseen Crew (http://archivesofnethys.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Unseen Crew) once per long rest as a spell-like ability that requires concentration. You can summon a second Unseen Crew member at 12th level and a total of four at 19th level.

Level 13: Pirate's Curse
Your Inspiring Words can also be used to harm and enervate those who dare threaten your ship or crew. To do so, you use a bonus action on your turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you. This acts as the Concentration spell Bestow Curse.

That creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become cursed for the duration of the spell. When you cast this spell, choose the nature of the curse from the following options:

Choose one ability score. While cursed, the target has disadvantage on ability checks and saving throws made with that ability score.
While cursed, the target has disadvantage on attack rolls against you.
While cursed, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw at the start of each of its turns. If it fails, it wastes its action that turn doing nothing.
While the target is cursed, your attacks and spells deal an extra 1d8 necrotic damage to the target.

A remove curse spell ends this effect.

Level 18 Salvage Vessel
You are able to pull ships from the very depths of the sea and repair ships that have been long since abandoned. This ability acts as the spell Salvage (http://archivesofnethys.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Salvage), which can only be processed once per Long rest, and requires Concentration. When the spell successfully ends, that becomes your new attuned ship.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-17, 05:58 PM
A jack sparrow pirate archetype a drunken pirate whos better because he is drunk.because he is the worst pirate youve ever heard of his logic youve heard of me right