PDA

View Full Version : Map of the OotS world?

Bluecloak
2007-05-24, 09:47 AM
I was just wondering if the Giant has a map of the world where the characters moves? And, if not, if someone has tried to make a rudimentary one out of the various geographical information you can get from the comic? We know, for example, that the kingdom of Nowhere is east of Somewhere and a little south of Anywhere, we know that Azure City is by the ocean and to the south, we know that there are eight human nations between Xykon's tower and Kraagor's gate and so on.

So, has anyone been geeky enough to try to put a map together? Dying to know, the search function didn't come up with anything.

Vargtass
2007-05-24, 09:52 AM
I know there was one that made some progress. I will try to find the old thread for you.

Vargtass
2007-05-24, 11:50 AM
I know there was one that made some progress. I will try to find the old thread for you.

I want to bump it so it's noticed: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5171&highlight=ootsland

Bluecloak
2007-05-24, 03:17 PM
I want to bump it so it's noticed: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5171&highlight=ootsland

Excellent! Thank you Vargtass, I knew there must have been someone who thought about it.:smallbiggrin:

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-24, 03:25 PM
To avoid forum necromancy, I'm posting in this topic.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a realistic looking hypothetical map? That one looks like an oval combined with a shaded square, plus another square to the side.

I would do it, but I'm not a good mapmaker (or visual artist of any sort).

Vargtass
2007-05-25, 09:46 AM
To avoid forum necromancy, I'm posting in this topic.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a realistic looking hypothetical map? That one looks like an oval combined with a shaded square, plus another square to the side.

I would do it, but I'm not a good mapmaker (or visual artist of any sort).

I think the idea at the time was to keep the map updated as we learned more about the geography. Then, the representation becomes schematic in order to be easily upgradeable. But if anyone cares to make a new go at it, I can only encourage it.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-25, 07:26 PM
OK, I tried my best at this. Here it is:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s160/Tolkien_Freak/map_of_oots_land-1.png

I intentionally left out the Elven Lands and Lirian's Gate because we don't know which continent they're on.

The_Hunting_Enemy
2007-05-25, 11:50 PM
I've been looking for one also. I think the reason there isn't one is for more freedom, (Able to create places at will, no boundaries, etc) apart from the loose stuff we already know.

TRat
2007-05-26, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I would say all maps must be taken with a grain of salt since Rich may need to change things around/create a new place at will during the story.

The_Hunting_Enemy
2007-05-26, 01:43 AM
Whenever I made a story, I'd usually make the map either halfway through, or once I was done. That way I could be more accurate.

teratorn
2007-05-26, 02:37 AM
These maps miss the "Here be dragons".

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-26, 04:58 AM
I think Rich said he wouldn't make a map in case he had to change it. Mock-up maps can be useful but the story is understandable without them.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-05-26, 09:12 AM
Yeah, it's just a hypothetical map. It's not intended to be any kind of 'definitive' anything.

Whenever I made a story, I'd usually make the map either halfway through, or once I was done. That way I could be more accurate.

That's interesting, I'm attempting to start a story and my map is almost completely done.