PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for a cleric...

Suzaku
2007-05-24, 12:36 PM
Is it possible for a cleric to have Law and Chaos as domains? It could be a Neutral cleric striving for a balance much like a Yin Yang.

Ceres
2007-05-24, 12:39 PM
Hmmm... Maybe. How do clerics for "a cause" work again?

Falrin
2007-05-24, 12:41 PM
Maybe a Cleric for the Cause of 'extremes'.

melchizedek
2007-05-24, 12:42 PM
Deity, Domains, and Domain Spells

A cleric’s deity influences his alignment, what magic he can perform, his values, and how others see him. A cleric chooses two domains from among those belonging to his deity. A cleric can select an alignment domain (Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law) only if his alignment matches that domain.

If a cleric is not devoted to a particular deity, he still selects two domains to represent his spiritual inclinations and abilities. The restriction on alignment domains still applies.
So no. You can only have alignment domains if your alignment matches that domain.

the_tick_rules
2007-05-24, 01:00 PM
unless your demagorgon, one head could be lawful, the other chaotic lol.

Roderick_BR
2007-05-24, 01:24 PM
By RAW, no, but your DM could allow you to do it with a houseruled deity with special rules.

valadil
2007-05-24, 01:32 PM
I've always been a fan of the striving for balance type of character, so I would allow this for the right character. If I was concerned that a player was trying to cheese something out by having both domains at once, I'd likely make them choose one domain each morning when they wake up depending on which side needs them more. Naturally they'd still have a normal second domain, but this one would switch between law and chaos.

Jasdoif
2007-05-24, 01:38 PM
If expressing neutrality is your aim, consider building a Neutrality domain (and perhaps adapting some spells) and seeing if you could take that.

Penguinsushi
2007-05-24, 01:41 PM
By RAW, no, but your DM could allow you to do it with a houseruled deity with special rules.

I've always been a fan of the striving for balance type of character, so I would allow this for the right character.

I agree. I've got some interesting roleplayers in my group that are capable of pretty unusual personalities (in real life, as well as in the game world. :smallwink: )

I'd allow it, with some explanation.

~PS

Person_Man
2007-05-24, 03:03 PM
By RAW, no.

But they're both profoundly weak domains. So I'd let a PC use them if he had a good fluff rationale.

But perhaps you'd be better served by taking the Balance (Players Guide to Faerun) and Fate (Comp Warrior) domains.

Balance is pretty meh, but it seems to fit your fluff perfectly. Fate grants the profoundly useful Uncanny Dodge as a domain power. I could also see such a PC having many other useful domains, like Time, Magic, or Mind.

You can find the complete list on crystalkeep.