Level: Brd 4
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 Full-round action
Range: Close (25 ft. +5 ft/2 levels
Target: Any creature or object, Maximum one target per blade
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

This is a rather complex and malleable combat spell for the Bard.

A wave of ghostly blades shoot forth from your instrument upon the playing of a certain combination of chords.

The spell fires one additional blade beyond the first per two caster levels beyond 7th, with a maximum of 6 blades at 17th level or higher. The blades make a normal attack, dealing a base of 1d10 sonic slashing damage each, with a crit range of 20. although a high perform check can change that:

The bard makes a perform check with a stringed instrument. The roll on the check affects the power and accuracy of the blades as follows:

The spell requires a result of 15 or higher, or the blades fail to reach their target.
On a result of 20, the blades become magic weapons. A result of 20 gives them +1, increasing by 1 per 4 points higher, +2 at 24, +3 at 28, +4 at 32, etc, with a maximum of +10 at 60.

These points can give the blades magic effects as chosen by the Bard.

This is still quite confusingly worded. Let me give examples.

If the Bard makes a 32 on his perform check, he gets a +4 bonus. He could simply give his blades an enhancement bonus of +4, affecting hit, damage, and DR.

He could also however give his blades the 'flaming' ability, which is listed as equivalent to +1 in the DMG. That would make the blades +3 flaming weapons.

He could then add the "wounding" ability for a cost of +2, making the blades into '+1 flaming, wounding' ghost blades.

Focus: A stringed instrument

Sounds a bit complex, but actually quite simple. They become magic weapons as chosen by bonus out of the DMG or whatever other books you have with magic weapon abilities.

ocato
2007-05-24, 11:37 PM
Is it just 1d10 damage or do they get to add anything like strength to the attacks. For example, Whirling Blade lets you use your Charisma for the attack roll and the damage roll. You mention 'a normal attack' which I assume means they use strength for the attack and possibly extra damage? I'd consider dropping the damage dice and using charisma a la whirling blade.

Vuzzmop
2007-05-24, 11:55 PM
you watched kung fu hustle, didn't you.

Icewalker
2007-05-25, 12:39 AM
Yep, watched it a while ago. I think.

Probably the only movie with dudes shooting ghostly blades out of a string instrument, huh.

By normal attack I meant not touch attack, which is what I had planned for originally, but removed when I added the magic item part, which I think is cooler. I didn't think you should get any bonus from stats, but Cha would work I guess.

Draken
2007-05-25, 09:16 AM
Quite an interesting spell, but tell me.It needs a 15 on the perform check jus to hit, wouldn't it be better to make the perform check to work as an attack roll?

And also, would it require a diferent check fo each blade?

And just to make things interesting, would the blades Crit. on a natural 20? If they do so it would give a point in sacrificing bonuses to add things like: Keen, Vorpal, Flame Burst, and others that trigger on criticals.

Roderick_BR
2007-05-25, 09:46 AM
Heh. I think it's a cool "artillery" spell. A bit flashy, but it's still in-flavor for a bard.
Questions: Shouldn't it also be sonic damage?
Can Greater Shout or Ki Shout dispell it? :smallwink:

Draken
2007-05-25, 09:55 AM
You mean Counterspell, not Dispell right?

If soo, i believe it would make sense for Shout and Greater Shout to counterspell it, two opposed sonic waves should null each other.

And also, take off "Musical Instrument" of the components, place "F" in it, and at the end you place the note teling that the focus is a musical instrument.

Penguinizer
2007-05-25, 10:11 AM
What about a more powerful version that summons ghost soldiers that fly and attack. In order to make it more like Kung-Fu Hustle.

Miraqariftsky
2007-05-25, 10:40 AM
you watched kung fu hustle, didn't you.

What about a more powerful version that summons ghost soldiers that fly and attack. In order to make it more like Kung-Fu Hustle.

Aye, Hustle is also one of my favorites.

Ghost soldiers? Were those undead dao-wielding warriors truly incorporeal?

Remember when Donut, the spear/staff wielder, launched a counterattack against the two musical assassins? When he got real close and tried to destroy their Guzheng (Chinese harp), they fended him off with a concentrated blast of sound that shattered his spear and hurled Donut back several feet. How will you incorporate that effect into your spell?

Hmm, if one is to convert that bit of cinematography into D&D magic, it sounds like a massive combination of Evocation, Abjuration, Conjuration and Necromancy.

drawingfreak
2007-05-25, 10:57 AM
I guess it would all depend on what you play on the instrument. This could end up creating multiple spells.