PDA

View Full Version : Need help in making new class

paallikko
2007-05-25, 12:09 AM
I would be interested in making a new class. It would be combat-oriented and it should have few spells, i'm dreaming about dragonslayer. I would like to add some things to class, like rangers favored enemy and other things from other core/prestige classes. I dont want to make class features which are from somewhere else than other classes.

TheOOB
2007-05-25, 12:48 AM
Well, if you are looking for a combat class with a few spells, the duskblade has you covered (or if your looking for divine, may I suggest the dawnblade(see the link in my sig)).

A dragonslaying focused class is a bit too specilized for a base class, so a PrC would work, probally a 5 level one considering how specilized it is. I'm favored enemy dragon(increases with level), and another ability that grants a dodge bonus to AC vs dragons and a competence bonus to reflex saving throws agienst breath attacks, and perhaps finish the class off with SR vs dragons.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-25, 12:58 AM
I would be interested in making a new class. It would be combat-oriented and it should have few spells, i'm dreaming about dragonslayer. I would like to add some things to class, like rangers favored enemy and other things from other core/prestige classes. I dont want to make class features which are from somewhere else than other classes.
Well, it seems like you're already on your way with what you want.

If you're combat oriented, use the Ranger/Hexblade/Paladin Spell progression;
From what you're describing so far, you'd probably be arcane. Focus the spell list in Divination with a few things in other schools, as no Hybrid casting class has done that so far (you want to be fresh, even if not revolutionary) and it fits in with the "hunter" theme.
I'd say make it Spontaneous and based on Charisma, as the "Dragonslayer" in lit and such tends to be the bold, charming knightly hero rather than the bookish intellectual.

Give Favored Enemy at 1st level only against Dragons, and have it progress by 2 each time the ranger would gain a Favored enemy, but don't give new favored enemies. I'm usually against specializing (as it leads to "everything or nothing" characters), but dragons are a common enough enemy for this to work out.

Use Full Base Attack, 4+ Skill Points per Level, Martial Weapons, up to Medium Armor, and give good Reflex and Will Saves (Resisting breath weapons and Fearful Presence). Because you're specialized against dragons, you want to do well in general terms so that you're not useless in other circumstances.

So far, the class is good, but kind of restrictive, so throw in some Bonus Feats to help in combat and give some room to customize.

Here's an idea how you might go based on what I've said so far:
Legend Hunter
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Favored Enemy (Dragons) +2, Track

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat|0

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Favored Enemy (Dragons) +4|0

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+5||1

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+5|Bonus Feat|1

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+6| |1|0

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+6||1|0

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Favored Enemy (Dragons) +6, Bonus Feat|1|1

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+7||1|1|0

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+8| |1|1|1

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+8|Bonus Feat|1|1|1

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+9||2|1|1|0

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+9|Favored Enemy +8|2|1|1|1

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+10|Bonus Feat|2|2|1|1

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10||2|2|2|1

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11||3|2|2|1

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Bonus Feat|3|3|3|2

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Favored Enemy (Dragons) +10|3|3|3|3[/table]
(4+Int Skills Per Level) Class Skills: Ranger + Use Magic Device and Knowledge (Arcana) instead of Knowledge (Nature)

Proficient in Simple and Martial Weapons, Light and Medium Armor, and Shields

Spell List (Charisma Based, Casts Spontaneously from entire list): 1-Detect Secret Doors, True Strike, Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Locate Object, See Invisibility
2-Cat's Grace, Eagle's Splendor, Bear's Endurance, Dispel Magic, Arcane Sight, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
3-Detect Scrying, Scrying, Arcane Eye, Heroism, Haste
4-Telepathic Bond, Legend Lore, True Seeing, Arcane Sight, Mass Eagle's Splendor, Mass Bear's Endurance, Mass Cat's Grace

It seems ability light right now, and in some ways is. You should probably add more. However, remember that core classes should leave the player open to many styles and options, avoid abilities that restrict players to a few specific play styles.
Also, don't make the common mistake of thinking you need an ability at every level; as it tends to make core classes busy, and more restrictive in how they are playable.

B!shop
2007-05-25, 05:45 AM
This one could be a good base class in a setting with a common dragon-type population.