PDA

View Full Version : Dip Prestige Class Help

Shatenjager
2007-05-25, 09:20 AM
I've run into a snag. I need another feat past level 8 (so that I can qualify for "Confound the Big Folk"). There is a quick and inelegant solution that is Monk9/Fighter1 (with the fighter level last). This gives me improved evasion, no penalties on flurry and enough to do everything else I want for the charachter, but it trades away his future. He will start taking multiclassing penalties and will never be able to go back to monk (though he can just move to disciple of the eye for as many levels as needed). The party as a whole shouldn't be going past level 12 or so anyways (at this rate not past 11). I want the feat now and not level 12, because I'm not sure we're gonna get there.

Now his future isn't too bright, this being at the end of a module and all, so that might not be a problem. I am just seeking a better way to do this. I need an easy to qualify for prestige class that gives a bonus feat at level 1. You can use either the 1st 3rd or 6th level feat slot to qualify for it.

Allowed books are the Races series, and older Completes (everything before Psion).

Darrin
2007-05-25, 11:28 AM
I've run into a snag. I need another feat past level 8 (so that I can qualify for "Confound the Big Folk"). There is a quick and inelegant solution that is Monk9/Fighter1 (with the fighter level last).

See if your DM will let you use the Variant Fighting Styles from Unearthed Arcana (these are now in the SRD). That usually helps free up some bonus feats. Or if you need even more flexibility, the Martial Monk variant (also from UA and also in the SRD) lets you take any fighter bonus feats instead of your monk feats at 1st, 2nd, and 6th level.

If you have to go into Fighter, see if you can take "Monastic Training" from the Eberron sourcebook. This lets you pick any base class you can multiclass into and lets you go back into monk. Unfortunately, this doesn't help you with an unfavored class penalty.

You didn't mention your race, but it sounds small, so maybe it's halfling? Sometimes there's a subrace with a different favored class, but not a lot of those with figher as the option. There are some racial templates from Dragon #306 that could change your favored class without any level adjustments... Desert or Wild, for example, would give you Ranger is favored, and there are some variant fighting styles for Ranger that might get you the feat you need at 2nd level, but that's a lot of re-engineering for what sounds like an established character.

You could also ask your DM if you could take a Flaw.

I need an easy to qualify for prestige class that gives a bonus feat at level 1. You can use either the 1st 3rd or 6th level feat slot to qualify for it.

Hmm, most of the easy ones usually involve spellcasting, like Eldritch Knight or Spellsword. Champion of Corellion might work if you're an elf. I think there's a regional feat that gives you elven blood, but I don't think it counts for PrCs, just elf-only magic items.

Could you be a bit more specific about what feats you've already taken and what you're trying to do?

Shatenjager
2007-05-25, 11:31 AM
No Flaws, no UA (allowed sources above)

Sorry, I didn't mention race, it's unfortunately Kobald. I've got stats good enough to pull it off and I'd love to.

As for what I want to do:
Flurry+Haste+Wounding=Blood everywhere

Most fights I will flurry and just break people's CON, but I also want to be able to skitter under the dragons in the module and trip them (with Confound the Big Folk it is doable).

Feats I want to take:
Weapon Finesse
Close Quarters Fighting (If I qualify I am AFB)
Underfoot Combat
I want Confound the Big Folk

I get Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes and Improved Grappler from Monk.

Draz74
2007-05-25, 12:05 PM
Psychic Warrior?

Yeah, I know, it's not a PrC, but it's another class that will give you a nice Bonus Feat at 1st level, and its flavor (and ability scores, i.e. high Wis) goes well with Monks. And you'll get to learn one power, like Expansion or something, which you'll be able to use at least 1/day if you have a Wisdom of at least 14.

Person_Man
2007-05-25, 12:37 PM
If you're not going to see level 12, then XP penalties don't matter. Just take Fighter as your 11th level.

Having said that, the 11th level of Monk is a very sweet level. I wouldn't give up an extra attack on Flurry for Confound the Big Folk, unless you were a Tiny race using a Rogue build. I would just stick with Monk at this point.

Shatenjager
2007-05-25, 12:38 PM
Psychic Warrior?

Psychic Warrior doesn't help for a variety of reasons. First I would loose the BAB (this isn't a dealbreaker).

Second it still has all the problems of 1 level of fighter (multiclassing penalties and no path back to monk).

Third it isn't from an available book.

Shatenjager
2007-05-25, 12:43 PM
If you're not going to see level 12, then XP penalties don't matter. Just take Fighter as your 11th level.

Having said that, the 11th level of Monk is a very sweet level. I wouldn't give up an extra attack on Flurry for Confound the Big Folk, unless you were a Tiny race using a Rogue build. I would just stick with Monk at this point.

This is logical. I hadn't noticed greater flurry. What this does mean though is I need to figure out what to do with my feats then.

If I'm not going the underfoot route how can I best utilize these feats?

Weapon Finesse is obvious, I don't really need Improved trip as much (I guess snatch arrows is ok though I doubt it will get used). How can I best make myself difficult to grapple while dealing as much constitution damage as kobaldly possible?