PDA

View Full Version : New Custom Primal Path

BoreiBahamut99
2015-10-29, 10:37 AM
PRIMAL PATH: FORGEMASTER
Forgemaster Barbarians are quite dissimilar to other types of Barbarians. Their fiery rage is only fueled by their burning conviction to crush all who impede them and their allies. They occur in a way similar to Dragonborn or Sorcerers. They often come up when their ancestors take part in making powerful magical items. However they came about, they usually start having violent tendencies around puberty. Forgemasters often have a natural talent for making armor and weapons. When you choose this path, you gain proficiency with Smith's Tools and Leatherworker's Tools if you don't already have them.
---------------------------------
Forgemaster's Bellow-
At 3rd level you gain the following ability which you can use as an action while raging. You exhale a 20 ft cone of billowing flames, smoke, ash and soot. Any enemy within this cone must make a DEX saving throw against your ability save DC, which equals 8 + your CON modifier + your proficiency bonus. You may use this twice per rage. This counts as an attack for the purposes of maintaining your rage.
—Any enemy in the area takes 2d6 + your rage damage modifier in fire damage, or half as much on a successful save. This damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level.
—On a failed save, a creature is covered in hot ash and soot, causing them to start burning. When the burning creature starts its turn, it takes 1d6 fire damage and may use its action to attempt to put itself out, making the same save as it did before. Any creature within 5 ft of the burning creature may attempt to help put out the flames in the same manner.
The save DC is reduced by 5 for each consecutive turn it is burning.
—Additionally, you gain resistance to fire damage while raging.
Masterwork Quality-
At 6th level, your talents at the forge begin to stand out even more, making you a great and swift smith. When forging armor, weapons or clothes you make 25 gp worth of progress per day as opposed to 5 gp. Additionally, any armor, weapons or clothes you make are of masterwork quality.
One with The Hammer-
At 10th level, while raging and wielding a maul, you gain the following benefits.
—The base damage done by your maul increases by 1d6.
—Your weapon attack scores a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.
Stoke the Forge-
Beginning at 14th level as you progress through a battle, your anger burns hotter and hotter. Every time you kill an enemy, you gain benefits which fuel your fiery rage.
—Every 2 kills: You extend the duration of your rage by 30 seconds.
—Every 3 kills: You gain one more use of Forgemaster's Bellow during that rage.
—Every 5 kills: You regain 1d12 hit points.
Now, I know this may sound a bit OP, but that's why I'm here, to get feedback

Edit: Attempted to tone everything down.
—Added a reducing DC to Forgemaster's Bellow's burning damage.
—Made Masterwork Quality's DR cap out at 3.
—Removed the Great Weapon Fighting benefit from One with The Hammer.
—Increased the number of kills needed to proc Stoke the Forge.
—Made big change to Masterwork Quality

JNAProductions
2015-10-29, 10:41 AM
A bit OP? This, good sure, is grade-S Gouda cheese. I don't even know where to start-everything needs to be toned down to a significant degree.

Also, it belongs in the homebrew section. To get it moved, report your first post and ask for it to be moved.

Spacehamster
The problem is that all the abilities gained are crunch, there is no fluff abilities, if you look at all other subclasses the stuff you get is divided between combat/mechanics abilities and out of combat/fluff/utility stuff that does not come into play as often as pure combat stuff. :)

Socratov
I think mastwerwork quality is a bit steep since at lvl 6 you could get DR/5. Would it be acceptable to use proficiency instead? Sure, you end higher (at lvl 20 or so), but the climb is a lot mellower as well.

BoreiBahamut99
2015-10-29, 11:16 AM
Thank you guys, this is what I came for, although I would like more specific suggestions. Something like: "I think the DC for Forgemaster's Bellow's burning damage should be reduced by 5 for each consecutive turn they're burning."
Also, I know "a bit OP" was an understatement, I meant for it to come across as more sarcastic.

N810
2015-10-29, 01:29 PM
Would be nice if you added bonuses to creating your own weapons,
maybe replace master work with this for less crunch ?

BoreiBahamut99
2015-10-29, 02:21 PM
Would be nice if you added bonuses to creating your own weapons,
maybe replace master work with this for less crunch ?
That could work. I've been trying to think of something "fluff-like" since Spacehamster suggested it. What do you think of something like this? "You learn to make armor and clothes with intimidating features. While wearing armor or clothes you made you gain advantage on CHA (Intimidation) checks."

N810
2015-10-30, 08:35 AM
I suppose, it seems a bit underwhelming though...

BoreiBahamut99
2015-10-30, 09:01 AM
Hmmm... How's about this:
"Your natural talents at the forge make you a great and swift smith. When forging weapons, armor or clothes, you make 25 gp worth of progress per day, as opposed to 5 gp. Additionally, any weapons or armor you forge are of masterwork quality."

N810
2015-10-30, 09:19 AM
:thog:

much better.

BoreiBahamut99
2015-10-30, 09:21 AM
Awesome, making progress. I'll put it in there.