PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next oath of penence-paladin

1Forge
2015-10-29, 11:17 AM
Sorry if there are a lot of mistakes in writing this at around midnight because I need a break from studying.

sometimes before someone had a chance to repent in life they die. Mercy would say they tried and forgive them, but justice demands that a price must be paid. These souls are given an option take judgement then and hope they don't get sent to the void where souls can never return. Or increase their chances of going to eternal peace by paying their debt under oath ad a paladin of penance you are given another shot at life, you awake fully grown and with all your memories. Along with that you may bear markings on your skin as reminders of your oat, if so then you may be blessed with a aaismar body. You are then given time to possibly balance your sins with deeds of charity and sacrifice. Your order also keeps the church straight when light becomes harsh and dissonent it is your job to shade the victims and if need be snuff out the flame.

the tenents of penance are as folliws:
Obeidience: This chance is your last, your debt must be paid
Animosity: This opportunity is not for fame, or recognition do not flaunt it.
Humility: Remember your sins and what kindness was presented to you.

3- divine favor, disguise self
5- darkness, detect thoughts
9- dispel magic, glyph of warding
13- guardian of faith, greater invisibility
17- dispel evil and good, banishing smite

obscuring step- as an action you may cast mistey step as long as the destination is in dim or dark shadow, even an antimagic feild cannot stop this.
Phantasmal angel- as an action you create an illusion of shadow in all hostile creatures minds within 30ft they must success a wisdom saving throw or become frightened and run away (re-rolling every turn). A successful save means they ser through the illusion and are not frightened.

Aura of shade- at 7th legal you and all friendly creatures within 10ftbhave advantage on all saving throws when standing in dark or dim light.

The sinners stain- when you are in complete darkness it is considered magical, you also give disadvantage to any attack targeting you within the shadow (creatures with devils sight ignore this).

Dark angel- at 20th level you may activate this ability to addune the form of a fallen angel. Pitch black wings sprout from your back, a broken halo appears over your head, and 10 weights appear around you attacked to you via chains of shadow. Whenever you are attacked you can choose to activate a chain causing it to burst causing 10 necrotic damage to it. For every enemy you kill a new weight appears. These chains do not hamper movement and your wings give you a flying speed equal to you're land speed.

Turtlemacer came up with the idea. I just made stats. This is a repost.

Turtlemancer
2015-11-02, 11:15 AM
Your spell list looks good, I may even use a tweaked version if your cool with it.

but.

Turning abilities are usually limited by enemy type. Thus Oath of Devotion can turn Undead and Demons and Ancients is Fey and Demons. Juts having a turn that will always work is too powerful. This Is why I was going for a single target turn that would always work. Or one that pretty much only works on humanoids and Demons.

Also Fallen Angel doesn't Fit a Non-Evil Paladin, Dark Angel, Or Ascended Demon would work better as names. The Idea of an enemy hurting themselves when they attack you in your ult is neat But I would go with something less standerd than 10 Necrotic damage How about, Drop the Chains Mechanic (You can keep them visually) and Have it deal 1D8 Necrotic Damage (OR Radiant damage to undead) whenever you are struck in melee, in addition every time you are stuck in this manner the weapon the enemy used takes a -1 to attack rolls breaking at -5 and any projectiles shot at you will be destroyed (You still take damage). (This is the same as a black pudding and it seems to be pretty balanced.) The Form will last only a minute or until combat ends.

1Forge
2015-11-03, 11:14 PM
Your spell list looks good, I may even use a tweaked version if your cool with it.

but.

Turning abilities are usually limited by enemy type. Thus Oath of Devotion can turn Undead and Demons and Ancients is Fey and Demons. Juts having a turn that will always work is too powerful. This Is why I was going for a single target turn that would always work. Or one that pretty much only works on humanoids and Demons.

Also Fallen Angel doesn't Fit a Non-Evil Paladin, Dark Angel, Or Ascended Demon would work better as names. The Idea of an enemy hurting themselves when they attack you in your ult is neat But I would go with something less standerd than 10 Necrotic damage How about, Drop the Chains Mechanic (You can keep them visually) and Have it deal 1D8 Necrotic Damage (OR Radiant damage to undead) whenever you are struck in melee, in addition every time you are stuck in this manner the weapon the enemy used takes a -1 to attack rolls breaking at -5 and any projectiles shot at you will be destroyed (You still take damage). (This is the same as a black pudding and it seems to be pretty balanced.) The Form will last only a minute or until combat ends.

what if instead of -1 the chains just gave disadvantage to the next attack made at them?

(sorry about the delay)

Turtlemancer
2015-11-06, 09:49 AM
Ok neither one of us seem to be doing vary good so I'm just gonna post these here and see if maybe we can put our heads together to make something people may actually want to play.

Paladin Oath of Rebirth
"Let the old man die, and the new man rise."

A Paladin who follows this Oath seeks to set there past behind them. Reborn Paladins are often Ex-Criminals or Once Fallen Paladins, however a Reborn Paladin could just as easily be someone who has survived a near death experience, maybe someone who feels they have squandered there life away on fruitless endeavors and seeks to instead do some good with what time they have left, or even have been someone who literally returned from the grave. Regardless of the life they leave behind those who take the Oath of Rebirth seek to set aside there old life and start on a path of selflessness and valor.

Forgiveness- We are all flawed and I am no exception, I must always remember not to judge others based on my own viewpoint and preconceptions, but rather by trying to see the other side of things.
Penance: I will never leave a wicked deed to fester, I will always seek to right wrongs however small or trivial they may seem, but will never terry in a urgent task or forget to afford myself time to rest.
Confession- Wicked deeds and inaction, can lay heavy on the heart, I will always lend an ear to a heavy heart, and will never betray the trust of Confession, save to perseve a life.
Rebirth: I have been given a second chance, because of this I will always try to afford others the same courtesy, but will never flinch in the face of evil deeds

Channel Divinity- Scapegoat: Anytime a ally within 30ft of the Paladin is hit by an attack they may take a reaction to use there Channel Divinity to take the Hit instead, trading places with the target of the attack. This action must be called after seeing the attack roll, but before seeing the damage roll.

Channel Divinity- Gaze of the Penitent: The Paladin may look into the eyes of a single foe, This enemy will have to make a Wisdom save, if they fail they are filled with dread and must flee until they or an ally within 5ft takes damage. In addition once they reach 30 ft away from the target they may make another will save to overcome the state every turn until they are released.

Aura of Absolution: Starting at 7th level you and any friendly creatures within 10 feet have advantage on saves against mental effects while you are conscious.
At 18th level, the range of this effect increases to 30 feet.

Reparations: At 15th Level Half of any damage done to you (Rounded down), is returned to your Healing Pool for Lay on Hands.

From Ashes:
At 20th Level the Paladin may cloak themselves in Flames A pair of Burning wings will sprout from the paladins back and a wreath of Fire will sit upon the Paladins head. In addition to looking like something off of a metal album cover the Paladin gains the following traits for 1 minute or until combat ends.

You remain alive and conscious even if you would be otherwise taken to 0 hit points. You must still make death saves.
Anytime an ally within 30ft of you takes damage you may take half of that damage instead.
Enemies that strike you or an ally within 30ft of you in this form must make a wisdom save or take 1d8 Radiant damage.
You must take a long rest before being able to use this power again.

Oath of the Eternal
"Don't Fear the Reaper"
Death is a scary thing, few can look the reaper in the eye and fewer still can face oblivion with grace. However there are those who can great there fate like an old friend, and none walk with more piece than the Eternal Paladin. Eternal Paladins except death and change as part of the greater order, as part of the majesty of nature and the beauty of creation. One should not fear death but embrace it, However Eternal Paladins are not axe wielding madman. They are compassionate and patient cloaked in grace and shrouded in peace. Friend to the mourner, Foe to undeath, and guide to lost souls.

Death- Change is inevitable all things must end, but from the death of old things comes the birth of new things. I will face death with grace, and face the final journey with hope.
Darkness- Night must fall so that a new dawn may rise, we must all suffer s that we may know joy, I will always seek to console others in there grief.
Oblivion- We must empty ourselves of fruitless concerns will only give way to fruitless endeavors, If nothing awaits awaits me beyon the vail I will at least have a worthwhile life to console me in my last moments.
Eternity- Death is eternal no one can escape that, we cannot regain what is lost, only treasure what we have gained, and what we will gain in-time.

Channel Divinity- Sight of the Grave: The Paladin sends the fear of the Grave into the hearts of nearby Humanoid and Undead Enemies, these foes will have to make a Wisdom save, if they fail they are filled with dread and must flee until they or an ally within 5ft takes damage. In addition once they reach 30 ft away from the target they may make another will save to overcome the state every turn until they are released.

Mortal Coil- Instead of a second Channel Divinity at 3rd Level the Paladin may know ignore Resistance to Necrotic Damage, in addition anytime they would normally deal radiant Damage they will instead deal Necrotic Damage.

Aura of Dread: At Level 7 enemies within 10 ft of the Paladin are filled with apprehension granting a -1 to attack rolls and Wisdom Saves. At 15th Level this increases to 30ft and a -2 to attack rolls and wisdom saves.

Grave-bound: At Level 15 the Paladin is immune to undeath, Resistant to Necrotic Damage and my no longer gain negative levels or attribute drain from supernatural forces.

Angel of Death: At Level 20 the Paladin may cloak themselves in shadow and sprout black raven like wings becoming like the reaper. fore 1 minute or until combat ends, While in this form.
I don't know yet :).

arrowstorm
2015-11-06, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=Turtlemancer;20042242]Ok neither one of us seem to be doing vary good so I'm just gonna post these here and see if maybe we can put our heads together to make something people may actually want to play.

I love Eternal and Rebirth Oaths, I would love to be either. If I had to pick one, it would be the eternal because I feel it would be great to roleplay. I like the "awaken with some mark" deal with the Penance Paladin, the only complaint I have is that it seems shadow-themed, like it was meant that some Oathbreaker got saved rather than a Vengeance paladin went overboard and was saved due to the fact that he was trying to follow his oath but just messed up or something like that. I just feel that a truly evil paladin (that would give the shadow-based stuff) wouldn't have a second chance.

Turtlemancer
2015-11-06, 10:54 AM
How would you feel If I murged the two pacts some If you could Pick and choose what you got from those two Oaths?

1Forge
2015-11-06, 01:40 PM
How would you feel If I murged the two pacts some If you could Pick and choose what you got from those two Oaths?

that's the essence of home brew! I'd like to see the hybrid! I made mine the way it is to fit my home brew setting I understand if other DM's need different things.

(but yeah in my game i really focused on the shadow and guilt because the deity that makes these deals wants these people to remember what terrible things they did and dosent want them to forget in my games)