PDA

View Full Version : What wand to buy?

Baskineli
2007-05-26, 04:55 AM
I play a level 3 wizard, conjurer, banned necromancy and evocation.

I want to buy a wand that I can use when there is an immediate danger to me, or when I don't have any spells left to use. The wand is limited to level 1 spells.

I thought of colorspray, but the range is really short, so I am not exactly sure this is what I want.

Could you recommend me a wand?

Hazkali
2007-05-26, 05:11 AM
Maybe a Summon Monster I would fit the bill- an extra ally with which to flank foes and generally deal damage. The three-round limit is a bit of a pain though.

Hold Portal or Expedious Retreat would be good for when the only plan is to turn tail and run!

Amiria
2007-05-26, 06:05 AM
Wands have very low DCs, so I usually don't recommend spells with saving throws for them. But Grease might still worth it. Obscuring Mist is a more defensive option.

If you go outside Core, then Ray of Clumsiness (SC) is really good.

goat
2007-05-26, 07:15 AM
Summon monster takes a round to cast, so it's not that useful for a wizard on the run.

Ashdate
2007-05-26, 09:14 AM
I like Wand of Enlarge Person. It'll last a minute, and gives a nice boost that's pretty good for any fighter types.

- Eddie

Baskineli
2007-05-26, 09:17 AM
I like Wand of Enlarge Person. It'll last a minute, and gives a nice boost that's pretty good for any fighter types.

- Eddie

Why not Reduce Person (the enemy) and then run, using the fact his speed is now less than yours? :)

Dr. Weasel
2007-05-26, 09:30 AM
Again, there would be the save problem, that it only works on humanoids (a fairly hefty restriction) and that again, it's a full-round action. Obscuring mist and grease are always useful, though, so I'd recommend them.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-26, 11:56 AM
Also, reduce person doesn't affect speed.
:smallyuk:

kemmotar
2007-05-26, 12:41 PM
As it was said expeditious retreat, but it's not worth it in a wand...maybe a scroll or two...Also get a fly scroll, shouldn't be difficult to use for a caster...
Otherwise it depends on your setting depending on whether you're in cities, outside. Also invisibility could be useful for running away from stuff in law levels. But i would suggest scrolls instead of wands. Wands cost more and you only benefit from them if you cast the spells a lot...

A wand of magic missile caster level 3 or maybe more would be useful so you can prepare spells that you can use instead of using the wands...