PDA

View Full Version : The Pactbinder [D20 Modern Advanced Class] (PEACH)

JackMage666
2007-05-26, 04:07 PM
The Pactbinder
The Pactbinder serves the same role as a Binder does, only in modern times. They are not nearly as potent or physically powerful as the Binders of the old days, but can still accomplish far more than most people. However, even more so than the olden days, they are persecuted and hated by anyone who knows their trade. Feared by most and hated by all, the path of a Pactbinder is lonely, but powerful.

Prerequisites
Skills: Knowledge (arcane lore) 6 Ranks, Knowledge (history) 6 ranks, Knowledge (theology and philosophy) 6 ranks

HD: d6
Action Points: 6+one half character level
Skills: 3+int - Bluff (Cha), Concentrate (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcane lore), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (theology and philosophy), Profession (Wis), Research (Int), Sense Motive (Wis)

The Pactbinder
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Max Vestige Level|Defense Bonus|Reputation Bonus

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Soul binding (1 vestige)|
1st|
+1|
+0

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Pact augmentation (1 ability), suppress sign|
1st|
+1|
+0

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Bonus feat|
2nd|
+2|
+0

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Expel vestige|
2nd|
+2|
+0

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Pact augmention (2 abilities)|
3rd|
+3|
+1

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Bonus feat, soul guardian (immune to fear)|
3rd|
+3|
+1

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Ignore special requirements|
4th|
+4|
+1

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Soul binding (2 vestiges)|
4th|
+4|
+1

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Bonus feat, soul guardian (slippery mind)|
5th|
+5|
+2

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Pact augmentation (3 abilities)|
5th|
+5|
+2[/table]

NOTE: All abilities function identical to the ToM Binder, with the following exceptions. Knowledge (arcane lore) is to be used as the prerequisite for feats with Knowledge (arcana) in the title. Feats can be found in either the d20 Modern Core Rulebook and the Tome of Magic.

Bonus feat: At 3rd, 6th, and 9th level, the Pactbinder selects a bonus feat from the following list. He must meet all prerequisites for the feat.
Archaic Weapon Proficieny, Brawl, Dodge, Educated, Frightful Presence, Improved Brawl, Low Profile, Mobility, Personal Firearms Proficiency, or any feat on pg. 72 of the Tome of Magic.

Expel vestige: At 4th level, the Pactbinder gains Expel Vestige as a bonus feat. If he already has this feat, he may select any other from the above bonus feat list.

Ignore special requirements: At 7th level, a Pactbinder gains Ignore Special Requirements as a bonus feat. If he already has this feat, he may select any other feat from the above bonus feat list.

The Setup
Use the exact same rules in Tome of Magic. Vestiges go unchanged, as they are old, ancient creatures who you're summoning into your body. Some things may seem strange, but you're summoning ancient creatures into your body for power, doing things much like Faust to achive power. They're just as hated as they used to be, and the low Reputation represents their attempt at a low profile. I haven't read through the Vestiges recently to see if any tweaks should be made (Knowledge skills changing, some other things changed for d20 Modern). Overall, I think it's a likely type of magic found in a Modern campaign, since it's feared and hated, and resembles actually ceremonial magics of older times (whether or not they actually worked is up to debate, of course.) Historically, it works better for a Modern campaign, I think.

JackMage666
2007-05-27, 12:37 AM
Nothing? No suggestions at all?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-27, 02:49 AM
Dhaevar is the only d20 modern homebrewer around here that I know of. Nobody is posting because they can't critic this because they don't know d20 modern.

I play d20 modern but I can't critique this because I don't understand the pact magic rules.

Sorry. I wish I could encourage more d20 modern stuff but I can't really help you. I tried posting some advanced classes myself but I couldn't get the table working.

Dhavaer
2007-05-27, 02:52 AM
Dhaevar is the only d20 modern homebrewer around here that I know of. Nobody is posting because they can't critic this because they don't know d20 modern.

*stab* for misspelling my name.

I think the saves might be a bit high. One or both of the good ones should probably be medium. I don't know much about Pact Magic either, though, so I can't give any real help.

magic8BALL
2007-05-27, 03:54 AM
Yeah, I've never played d20 Modern, but I recently have had the core rule book mysteriously fall into my possesion... somehow... not sure quite what happened, but it did, seemingly, and I have wanted to start a Modern Campaign, but I dont know anyone who could GM or anyone else to play :smallfrown:

Anyway, this looks like an interseting class. It seems to be in line with the d20 Modern Advanced Class stuff, and would inject a new, more subtle, breed of FX into the game. However, again I know nothing of Pact Magic, so a balance critique is out of the question. Seems fun though, have you had it playtested at your table?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-27, 06:30 AM
I think the saves might be a bit high. One or both of the good ones should probably be medium. I don't know much about Pact Magic either, though, so I can't give any real help.

Good point, the fortitude save should probably use the average progression. Or both should if Will isn't supposed to be favoured.

Only smart hero has all knowledge skills and you're supposed to have to sacrifise something for advanced classes. I would suggest limiting it to Knowledge (arcane lore, art, business, earth and life sciences, history, physical sciences, or Theology and Philosophy). Also d20 modern classes don't have all craft skills like in DnD. I would limit it to Craft (chemical), Craft (visual art) and Craft (writing).

d20 modern classes assume you're human and thus have odd skill points at each level. This is a bit annoying though and you don't have to follow it.

You've also forgot to state the action point progression. It should have the normal advanced class progression.

Sorry for mispelling your name Dhavaer but I got all the letters right, just in the wrong order.

deadfalcon
2007-06-01, 12:46 PM
I'm not great at specing classes, but i know the binder class quite well, and I've played quite abit of d20 modern. I reckon this class should be a prestige class rather than an advanced class, as it seems alittle too powerful compared to the other classes with the infinate uses of things like burning hands and other abilities. But appart from that it is a good conversion.

JackMage666
2007-06-01, 02:35 PM
Alright, editted it a bit - Reduced Fort to average progression, as well as limited the Knowledge skill to 3 Knowledges. Eliminated Craft, and added the action points, as well as the odd number of skill points that's standard in Modern.