PDA

View Full Version : *Spoiler* About the Anti-Human comic

Heresy488
2007-05-26, 06:17 PM
Ok, #457 was awesome enough to get me to register and make my first post on these forums.

FIRST, that was awesome of Red Cloak. He and his actions were more in line with a real villain than anything I've seen, even from Xykon. Frankly, Xykon isn't much of a villain. He's a jerk, his actions amplified by his power, but he's a bully. I mean what ARE Xykon's plans? I've been reading through all the supplemental material provided by this site, and from the Villain Workshop Xykon looks like he's just the standard "evil for the sake of evil" type of bad guy. Xykon's flat, he's boring as far as depth.
On the other hand, Red Cloak is showing personality and character beyond the pursuit of minor amusements at the natural order's expense. I never expected this from what I percieved to be a minor character from the start. This only goes to show what a good story teller the Giant is. w00t for him.

SECOND, if you take how casually Red Cloak killed the Mystic Thuerge and couple it with his new respect for his adopted family (the Hobgoblins), I predict Red Cloak will challenge Xykon for power.
Before the idea gets shot down, let's take a minute to review Red Cloak's obvious advantages against Xykon.
1. Red Cloak is a Cleric. Xykon is a LICH. Lich's are undead. Clerics have this cool ability called "Turn/Rebuke Undead." I understand that the Giant has led us to think of Xykon as a really epic character, and that's totally cool. But what makes people think Red Cloak is any less epic?
2. Red Cloak has Xykon's phylactory AROUND HIS NECK. Smashy smashy!
3. Red Cloak has both the command and now the loyalty of how many thousands of Hobgoblin warriors, the very warriors Xykon intended to help him.

The point I'm making is, I think the Giant over the last dozen or so comics has seeded elements of growth in Red Cloak's character that will culminate in the overthrowing of his master, Xykon. I'm saying that not only does Red Cloak have the resources to do this (any person can argue that he's always had the resources) but that NOW he has the resolve to do something dramatic.

Something dramatic you ask? Red Cloak has reformed the army and has taken the city. Red Cloak has personally defeated the city's best Cleric. Red Cloak is marching up the keep to the throne room.

I don't know, but I'm pretty darn sure that within the next dozen comics (unless a tangent plotline interferes) we'll see one of the two die, with either Xykon defeating his servent or with Red Cloak usurping his master.

Corncracker
2007-05-26, 06:29 PM
If he had wanted to overthrow Xycon, he could very easily have done it when Xycon was first defeated, instead of waiting for him to grow back.

I don't see Xycon getting overthrown any time soon.

Pepz
2007-05-26, 06:33 PM
well I don't think Redcloak would overthrow Xykon that easily, or at all to be honest, sounds like a fun little idea though :)

And well, redcloak started to grow a spine only when Xykon was defeated :P so he had no time the first time we saw Xykon grow back :)

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-26, 06:51 PM
If he had wanted to overthrow Xycon, he could very easily have done it when Xycon was first defeated, instead of waiting for him to grow back.

I don't see Xycon getting overthrown any time soon.

I don't see Xykon getting overthrown either, although the speculation is interesting. But the key factor in Redcloak rebelling is that he now respects and watches out for his hobgoblin army, and that now clashes with the manner in which Xykon treats them, which Redcloak recognised as being utterly wrong. So Redcloak had no reason to overthrow Xykon when he was first defeated, although he undoubtedly had the means.

Zhrec
2007-05-26, 07:02 PM
Ammm, but what for RC will go against Xykon? Kill perfect ally 0.o... Plus Xykon is higher level and have more tricks

the_tick_rules
2007-05-26, 07:07 PM
Redcloak does have his phalactery and an army loyal to him, not Xykon, he does have him over a barrel of holy water if he decides to mutiny.

Heresy488
2007-05-26, 07:08 PM
Hey wait, let me amend my first idea with this addition:

Well, it's a question. If Red Cloak now cares about the soldiers under his command, and now identifies Xykon's actions (and by extension Xykon himself) as wrong, then why doesn't he just call a retreat to save all the Hobgoblin lives? I mean, so what if Xykon dies, he'll just respawn at his phylactory 1D10 days later.
Instead of sending soldiers to needlessly die, now he's spending their lives to achieve a purpose.

No, I think that the whole intent of the invasion (buying Xykon his opportunity at the Gate) has changed. Now, I think Red Cloak wants to stop Xykon. Red Cloak either doesn't want the Gate destroyed or wants to do it himself. And this conflict between RC and Xykon will be centered on that.

What we'll come to understand is that the Gate, the Paladins, Azure City, even the adventureres, were all just side characters. They were pawns. The real story right now will have revolved around a master and his apprentice, and the apprentice's struggle to surpass his master. [see footnote]

I know, very generic, but this is what's going on.

Everything thus far has been building to a climatic showdown. We've seen the OotS get shunted away into a tower. We've seen all minor NPC's either die or get pushed out of the picture. All that's left is Red Cloak and Xykon, the Gate, and the ghosts of the Paladins.

HERE'S WHAT I THINK WILL HAPPEN
Xykon will be pushed to the brink of destruction by the Paladin Ghosts, and Red Cloak will save his ass w/ awesome Cleric Rebukage. But then those two will have a showdown. And Red Cloak will win.

[footnote]
Xykon is a Sorcerer and RC is a Cleric. I know they cant be master/apprentice, but the relationship is there. And right now, that's where the drama lies.

Zhrec
2007-05-26, 07:13 PM
O.o... How long RC cares about his hobos??? Few hours. Before it he had sanding them to death, some times very unpleasant one. He can turn to chaotic in no time. Finally his loyalty to Xykon seems to be very strong one.

charles
2007-05-26, 07:30 PM
While I acknowledge that people (or goblins) change over time I must point out that red had a chance to kill xykon when he was last destroyed and sent to the vial on his neck.

I'm still waiting for my copy of "Start of darkness" but I'm pretty sure that the "dark one" has told him to follow and assist Xykon. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Red is the one who turned him undead.

Whatever the case, Xykon is still far more powerful than Red (see the fight against Miko) and I believe Red still sees that as an advantage for his side rather than a threat.

slayerx
2007-05-26, 07:45 PM
I think the "Redcloak will betray Xykon" theory has been done... but this is one of the more well thought ones (probably since it has these recent pages to help out the theory)

1. Red Cloak is a Cleric. Xykon is a LICH. Lich's are undead. Clerics have this cool ability called "Turn/Rebuke Undead." I understand that the Giant has led us to think of Xykon as a really epic character, and that's totally cool. But what makes people think Red Cloak is any less epic?
2. Red Cloak has Xykon's phylactory AROUND HIS NECK. Smashy smashy!

1) Well so far, Redcloak has only shown the ability to cast up to 8th level spells (extended summoning monster VII) and has yet to show anything higher... Also, Redcloak got a serious beat down by Miko... and i doubt Miko is epic level, because if she was i don't think she would have lost to Roy after falling (Paladin or not, a 6+ level advantage is a serious advantage)
2) Xykon is not an idiot, if i had to guess, Destorying the Phylactory is probably easier said than done... Either that, or there is something preventing Redcloak from doing such a thing (such as it would be bad for him to do it)

HERE'S WHAT I THINK WILL HAPPEN
Xykon will be pushed to the brink of destruction by the Paladin Ghosts, and Red Cloak will save his ass w/ awesome Cleric Rebukage. But then those two will have a showdown. And Red Cloak will win.

One thing i think poeple are forgeting to consider...
Why do you think Redcloak works for Xykon in the first place?
Xykon doesn't think twice about sacrificing minions, be it Redcloak's followers or Redcloak himself... Working under Xykon in the very first place is a serious hazard in and of its self... there doesn't SEEM to be a single good reason for Redcloak to work for Xykon, but that doesn't make sence, so there MUST be a reason...

The most likely reason i can think of is that Xykon himself is key to gaining whatever Redcloak wants, which is probably involing that ritual with the gate (Perhaps Xykon is required to perform the Ritual)

This would explain why Redcloak has been following Xykon all this time, because he's too weak to control Xykon but still needs Xykon... but this also causes problems with betraying Xykon... Until Redcloak gets whatever he needs out of Xykon, he can't move agaisnt him... and then comes the question as to, when Xykon does what Redcloak wants, Will Redcloak be in a position to successful take out Xykon... The best chance for Redcloak would be like Heresy488 mentioned, taking out Xykon after he has been weakened in a serious fight; however, if Redcloak still needs Xykon for the ritual, than he can't take advantage of Xykon than and there and will have to wait till after the Ritual, when Xykon may be once agian at full power.

I don't see Xykon getting overthrown either, although the speculation is interesting. But the key factor in Redcloak rebelling is that he now respects and watches out for his hobgoblin army, and that now clashes with the manner in which Xykon treats them, which Redcloak recognised as being utterly wrong. So Redcloak had no reason to overthrow Xykon when he was first defeated, although he undoubtedly had the means.
Not entirely sure about that,
Before Redcloak lead the hobgoblins he lead normal goblins like himself, goblins of which Xykon also freely sacrificed, which though Redcloak didn't like it, still managed to tolerate to continue working under Xykon... They question is, does Redcloak care about his hobgoblins more or as much as his old goblins? rather questionable since we never got enough interaction with redcloak and his old goblins to see how much he cared about them.

Well, it's a question. If Red Cloak now cares about the soldiers under his command, and now identifies Xykon's actions (and by extension Xykon himself) as wrong, then why doesn't he just call a retreat to save all the Hobgoblin lives? I mean, so what if Xykon dies, he'll just respawn at his phylactory 1D10 days later.
Instead of sending soldiers to needlessly die, now he's spending their lives to achieve a purpose.

No, I think that the whole intent of the invasion (buying Xykon his opportunity at the Gate) has changed. Now, I think Red Cloak wants to stop Xykon. Red Cloak either doesn't want the Gate destroyed or wants to do it himself. And this conflict between RC and Xykon will be centered on that.
well for the first part, the reason why Redcloak didn't retraet is stated by Redcloak himself... basically, he felt that Retreating would mean that the hobgoblins that have already diesd would have died in Vain... so he must take the city to honor their sacrifice

As for the second part... Xykon does not want to destory the gates... the first two gates were destoryed by accident and team evil has made it clear it was not what they wanted... Xykon mentions that there is a ritual they want to perfrom with the gates; So the gates must remain intact... So the gates are not in any danger of being destorying by Xykon

O.o... How long RC cares about his hobos??? Few hours. Before it he had sanding them to death, some times very unpleasant one. He can turn to chaotic in no time.
well you can't underestimate Redcloak's new found care for his hobgoblins... He made a very strong personally effecting Revelation

doliemaster
2007-05-26, 08:56 PM
Xykon will not be overthrown for a simple reason that anyone can understand, he can be smart when he wants to be. When the hobos bust in Xykon will flea from the room, wait for one side to win, come back in, and if it is the hobos and redcloak revolts he cast fire ball killing all but RC who has used alot of spells in that battle that were decently high level, vs Xykon, a level assumed to be high and higher than Rc, who has casted 4 maybe 5 spells today.

fall_ark
2007-05-26, 09:42 PM
well you can't underestimate Redcloak's new found care for his hobgoblins... He made a very strong personally effecting Revelation

Well, don't forget the "Speak with dead" chapter, I don't think Redcloak would care more about hobgoblins than his fellow goblins(by the way, RIP).....

:redcloak: (sigh) I live to serve

SamDerringer
2007-05-26, 09:57 PM
As said above, the best way to know about Redcloak´s intentions is to await for Start of Darkness, where we´ll know what are his motivations and reasons to be Xykon´s minion. The theory of his god´s commands is pretty good in my opinion.

Magistrate
2007-05-27, 01:27 AM
My best guess is Xykon has a Geas ( or something similar ) on Redcloak preventing him from destroying or harming his phylactery, likely forcing him to guard it. Probably done in exchange for something as per an agreement or a way to for fill a 'master-pupil' relationship. If that is the case then it's probably not forced.

Honestly, if you were a Lich would you trust someone with your phylactery if they still retained their own free will regarding it's protection? I know I wouldn't.

EyethatBinds
2007-05-27, 01:29 AM
What we'll come to understand is that the Gate, the Paladins, Azure City, even the adventureres, were all just side characters. They were pawns. The real story right now will have revolved around a master and his apprentice, and the apprentice's struggle to surpass his master.

I just think I should make the point here that D&D is not about watching two NPCs duking it out while the players watch. If I were to play in a game such as this I most likely would just ask for the GM to send me a transcript.
Developing the villian's personalities is all well and good, but the heroes actions still need to have consequences and be significant to the story.I think the mystic theurge was killed because team evil is doing well enough on it's own now.
Tsukiko might survive but Redcloak has certainly been taught not to question the evil goblin's authority in front of his army.

factotum
2007-05-27, 01:31 AM
I'm still waiting for my copy of "Start of darkness" but I'm pretty sure that the "dark one" has told him to follow and assist Xykon. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Red is the one who turned him undead.

Liches turn THEMSELVES undead--they don't need any sort of outside assistance to do so.

Zhrec
2007-05-27, 01:45 AM
:xykon: is sorceree, :redcloak: is cleric several levels lower. Even with army of hobos he can not overun X, due to army of paladins and power of X. Remember all undead are controled by X. Would be preaty stupied to go against that.

happyturtle
2007-05-27, 02:00 AM
Why does Redcloak want to take the city?

Lets look at it this way: If you were Hinjo, and the hobgoblin army suddenly retreated, what would be the first thing you'd do after rebuilding the city? (Ignoring the threat of the gates for the moment.) You'd start looking for some resources to hunt down and destroy that army before it could come after your city again. Azure City was already full of lawful good paladins who were happy to kill evil monsters. Now every paladin who survives is going to go out of their way to kill hobgoblins. Redcloak would be foolish NOT to destroy the city now.

Rincewind
2007-05-27, 02:02 AM
4 letters;

M
I
T
D

:mitd:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-27, 02:46 AM
FIRST, that was awesome of Red Cloak. He and his actions were more in line with a real villain than anything I've seen, even from Xykon. Frankly, Xykon isn't much of a villain. He's a jerk,

Sorry, you think Red Cloak's 457 action was less jerkish than Xykon?

Red Cloak did nothing evil in this strip. If you were a Celebrity with blade barrier you'd put it between you an a paparazi. He was just being lazy and petty. The "you're not invited" line is especially petty as well.

Red Cloak claims to hate humans but Xykon is a human and Tsukiko is an Aasimar (weird eyes, no horns, Wisdom and Charisma bonuses would be useful for a Sorcerer/Cleric) for all we know. Not that I seriously believe Tsukiko to be non-human, but Red Cloak didn't bother checking, he was just being self-absorbed.

factotum
2007-05-27, 04:47 AM
Xykon is undead. He left behind any claim to be human when he chose to become a lich. (See Redcloak's description of him in comic 372).

Raeden
2007-05-27, 04:57 AM
Everyone here seems to forget: caring for the hobgoblins is no reason to overthrow Xykon. Redcloak cared for the regular goblins, and he didn't overthrow Xykon in Durokan's castle either. I agree with the people who say Redcloak needs Xykon for something.

Also something people forget: MitD works for Xykon, not for Redcloak. Redcloak and Miko had about an even fight, and MitD showed to be far superior to Miko. Xykon has already proven that he's capable of killing a room full of mid-level paladins and disposing of mid to high level pc's without too much trouble, he can probably take on the hobo's one legion at a time.. I think Xykon and MitD could take on Redcloak and his army. But then again, maybe not right now, as Xykon is running low on spell by now. Luckily, Redcloak still needs him.

Avaris
2007-05-27, 08:54 AM
Just had a thought about the whole Redcloak going to betray Xykon thing... maybe the reason he prevented Tsukiko from following was so that she could not support Xykon in a fight. He already knows that Xykon will be weakened (though probably won't expect the paladins to still be there, even as undead), and is perhaps making sure there are no more allies avalible for Xykon to make up for that weakness.

Elphilm
2007-05-27, 10:00 AM
You know, it's funny how it goes. I've always thought that Redcloak is a nerdy bore while Xykon is teh awesome. :smallsmile: Redcloak's supposed depth of character seems pretty standard fare to me while Xykon's utter awareness of genre conventions and the cliches that go along with comic book villains makes every strip that he's in stand out. Redcloak can be fun on his own, as shown by strip #457 and others, but Xykon is always a total blast.

Besides, speculations about Redcloak's betrayal are already so played out on these forums that I doubt Rich will ever take that route. Even if it was perfectly logical for Redcloak's plans to smash Xykon's phylactery if the lich gets his bony behind handed to him in the throne room, it doesn't mean it has to go that way. Sometimes villains just like each other.

factotum
2007-05-27, 10:45 AM
Sometimes villains just like each other.

Or, more likely in this case, NEED each other for something. (In this case, Xykon probably needs Redcloak for his precision planning, while Redcloak needs Xykon as his own personal heavy artillery, given that he proved he wasn't well specced for a one-on-one fight when Miko defeated him back in the watchtower).

PowerWordSneeze
2007-05-27, 12:07 PM
I agree, Red and Xykon need each other to achive success. They both have their own character flaws and -strengths to deal with, but they also compliment each other really well. They are like kahlua and vodka: they are very differnt and come from vastly differing backgrounds, but if you mix them you get a lovely Black Russian.

:redcloak: is somewhat of a nerd, his biggest strength is his intellect, which allow him to come up with brilliant strategies and summon new kinds of elementals. But he's not much of charismatic leader. He's also not that great in combat -he's still a cleric with all the brokenness that entails, but he doesn't wear armor or carry a weapon.
:xykon: on the other hand, is a powerjunkie. He can inspire awe in his minions and kill anything that gets in his way. But he's exceedingly reckless and too busy being badass to deal with meaningless trivialities like strategy and minion-care.

I guess you could say Redcloak is Bill Gates and Xykon is Hitler/Superman: when they join forces, all hell breaks loose, and together they'll forge an evil empire the likes of which has never been seen before!

DetailBear
2007-05-27, 01:38 PM
I don't think that Red Cloak is going to rebel right now:

1. If Xykon is/has been defeated in the throne room, he'll be returning to the phylactery soon and it will take time for him to reform. Being very vulnerable right then, he'd want to retreat to get out of harm's way. He needs a week to perform the ritual on the gate as well, so they'd have to hold the city for quite some time to make it worth his while. The army will leave the city and head to Girard's gate. No reason for Red Cloak to rebel.

2. If Xykon is not defeated, but the gate is destroyed, he can't do the ritual and the army will leave the city and head to Girard's gate. No reason for Red Cloak to rebel.

3. Xykon's phylactery is RedCloak's (un)holy symbol. Destroying it may have really bad consequences for him with his god, and would leave him without his spells until he got another one (or dug out his spare). It might also be a metamagic component (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/metamagicComponents.htm), or provide him with some other benefit which he might not want to part with.

4. Metagaming for a moment, we know that Xykon will be within 1000 feet of Girard's gate sometime in the future. No destruction right now.

5. And finally, I think it would make a better story if it happened later (if it happens at all), along the lines of Red Cloak saying, "No, I won't order the army to do that. It will waste hobgoblin lives and we can obtain the same effect by....."

slayerx
2007-05-27, 02:12 PM
4. Metagaming for a moment, we know that Xykon will be within 1000 feet of Girard's gate sometime in the future. No destruction right now.

Heh, now there's a point that i think many people including myself actually forgot about =P

Redcloak could still attempt a betrayal... but it won't end with Xykon's end.
Though the chance of Betrayal later on in the story is still possible...

Rincewind
2007-05-27, 02:23 PM
What do you think this is? Star Wars? Some simple R.A. Salvatore storyline? Please...

Finwe
2007-05-27, 03:08 PM
Xykon's phylactery is Redcloak's holy symbol.

Or, in english, Xykon's soul-hidey place is the object that Redcloak needs in order to cast 90% of his spells. If Redcloak smashes the amulet, he's got no chance at all of defeating Xykon. I'd say that this fact alone should signal that the two are working together for reasons more than simple convenience.

J.Gellert
2007-05-27, 03:40 PM
One would also think that Xykon has some other kind of insurance against Redcloak. Otherwise he wouldn't give him his phylactery in the first place.

Heresy488
2007-05-27, 04:18 PM
When the Darkness book comes out, I'd be really interested in reading exactly why RC and Xykon joined up in the first place.

That Blade Barrier shows RC is lvl 15. I just don't see why a Cleric of that high level would be subordinate to a Lich. It'd be silly to say Xykon is or is a representative of the Dark One RC references. I just don't see the connection between the two.

Aside from the Miko fight, when has RC ever needed Xykon for anything? It really seems the other way around, Xykon needs RC.

And for those of you who say that RC needs Xykon's phylactory for his DF, that's bull. He can totally get another. Although, I can't deny the significance that a dark Cleric's DF and a Lich's phylactory would be one and the same. That implies a very deep level of trust, this commitment towards each other.

What I do see though is things have changed. True, it was Xykon's idea to go after the gates in the first place, but it was Red Cloak who planned out the fight. Xykon's only in the throne room at all because RC told him to go do it, and the rest of the army would distract the city's defenders. Was this decision intentional? Will Xykon defeat the Paladin ghosts and then blame RC for the setup? Was it a setup?

Also, assuming the Mystic Theurge does die from the Chlorine Elemental, is this killing indicative of a new line of thinking for Red Cloak? Was that a revenge kill for all the needless deaths Xykon perpetrated against first the real Goblins and then the Hobgoblins?

Kreistor
2007-05-27, 05:17 PM
That Blade Barrier shows RC is lvl 15. I just don't see why a Cleric of that high level would be subordinate to a Lich. It'd be silly to say Xykon is or is a representative of the Dark One RC references. I just don't see the connection between the two.

Liches have Turn Resistance +4, which makes Xykon effectively at least 22HD for purposes of trying to Turn him. Redcloak can only turn something of 19 HD maximum, so Xykon is immune to that. Xykon has mobility on Redcloak. He flies all day.

Xykon has more spells per day. Xykon wins Dispel checks more often.

And Redcloak has few healing spells. As an evil cleric, he spontaneously casts Inflict spells. Inflict heals Xykon. That leaves him few Healing spells to hurt Xykon with or heal the damage Xykon inficts on him.

In the end, Xykon is still more powerful than Redcloak. Much of Redcloak's abilities don't work on him, and Redcloak has less to counter Xykon's offense with.

slayerx
2007-05-27, 05:59 PM
What I do see though is things have changed. True, it was Xykon's idea to go after the gates in the first place, but it was Red Cloak who planned out the fight. Xykon's only in the throne room at all because RC told him to go do it, and the rest of the army would distract the city's defenders. Was this decision intentional? Will Xykon defeat the Paladin ghosts and then blame RC for the setup? Was it a setup?

Actually is was not Redcloak's idea for Xykon to attack the throne room; that was Xykon's idea, he wanted to have some fun... Redcloak's plan was for Xykon to kill some Azurites and raise undead to open up a second front; something Xykon ignored to go plan with the paladins, though technically he was going to turn the paladins into undead, so two birds with one stone.

Also, assuming the Mystic Theurge does die from the Chlorine Elemental, is this killing indicative of a new line of thinking for Red Cloak? Was that a revenge kill for all the needless deaths Xykon perpetrated against first the real Goblins and then the Hobgoblins?
Well considering he didn't say anything about the green goblins and many of the hobgoblin deaths were HIS fault... i'd saying killing Tsukiko is more of his idea of his hate for humans in general. Not to mention, with the way he an Xykon kill minions on a regular basis, Xykon probably wouldn't care too much... even if She survives and tells Xykon, he'll just laugh about it

And Redcloak has few healing spells. As an evil cleric, he spontaneously casts Inflict spells. Inflict heals Xykon. That leaves him few Healing spells to hurt Xykon with or heal the damage Xykon inficts on him.
correct IF, redcloak decides to betray Xykon on the sper of the moment... if Redcloak actually plans the betrayal out before hand, you know he will prepare more positive energy spells... just because he's a servent of the dark one, doesn't mean he doesn't have access to healing spells

Emperor Ing
2007-05-27, 06:05 PM
Redcloaks level is around 15, but I recall roy's level being said to be around the 13s. I think this is very self-explanatory. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0442.html)

Ladorak
2007-05-27, 06:18 PM
Redcloaks level is not 'around' 15. It is 15. Blade barrier does 1d6 per level, therefore...

jindra34
2007-05-27, 06:23 PM
Redcloaks level is not 'around' 15. It is 15. Blade barrier does 1d6 per level, therefore...

except the spell is capped at 15d6 damage...

Ladorak
2007-05-27, 06:24 PM
Capped at 20 in 3.0. Did they mod that upgrading to 3.5?

jindra34
2007-05-27, 06:25 PM
Capped at 20 in 3.0. Did they mod that upgrading to 3.5?

yep.......

Vuzzmop
2007-05-27, 06:37 PM
Although redcloak was able to destroy Xykon when he was first stuck in his phylactery, he was still loyal to him. Over time Redcloak has become less and less tolerant of Xykon's stupidity ( as we have been shown so vividly, earlier in the war), and is the stage is set for him to usurp him. The up coming fight (even if redcloak fails) has been foreshadowed over and over again.

GoC
2007-05-27, 06:43 PM
Rich's words on the subject:
http://www.giantitp.com/articles/XbsQgS9YYu9g3HZBAGE.html (villains)

Ladorak
2007-05-27, 06:55 PM
yep.......

Awesome! Once again who needs to buy expensive new rulebooks when you can just misquote the rules and wait for corrections.:smallwink:

moleytov
2007-05-27, 06:55 PM
GOC, you mean:
villains (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/XbsQgS9YYu9g3HZBAGE.html)

Milandros
2007-05-27, 08:24 PM
I don't think that Red Cloak is going to rebel right now: 4. Metagaming for a moment, we know that Xykon will be within 1000 feet of Girard's gate sometime in the future. No destruction right now.

Ooh, that's a dangerous one - Rich has shown that he can be quite clever and inventive with plot twists if he wants to. Xykon may be near Girard's Gate all right - Redcloak has his empty skull as the top-piece on his staff.

I doubt it would happen that way, but I wouldn't think that any prophecy statement will necessarily have the clear, obvious resolution.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-05-27, 08:52 PM
The way I see it, Xykon's the Rockstar and Redcloak's his agent. They need each other without needing to like each other.

Zhrec
2007-05-28, 11:56 AM
RC is level 15. X at least level 20. In one on one battle it easy to see who will win. Xykon is evil, but not stupid. If RC will use hobo's X could use ball of insanity again, or meteor attack. It is stupid to think that RC would be ego to attack X. Plus MitD will be really good back up for X. Nope they will not fight against each other, well if only RC is really crazy.

Darkbane
2007-05-28, 03:46 PM
Yes, it's his holy symbol. Still, holy symbols are CHEAP. What do they cost, a few gp? Xykon won't be destroyed now, unless bits of bone dust are going to float by Girard's Gate (always a possibility; Xykon doesn't have to be functional to fufill the prophecy), but Redcloak can easily get another holy symbol whenever he wants. Whether Redcloak does or does not betray Xykon, smashing the holy symbol will not be a factor.

Finwe
2007-05-28, 09:34 PM
There's no doubt that Redcloak COULD get a new holy symbol. However, he couldn't spontaneously smash the holy symbol and challenge Xykon - he'd have to plan ahead.