PDA

View Full Version : The Song's Been Sung, The Bretheren Court Calls; Do You Answer? (PRC)

Korias
2007-05-27, 09:22 PM
Pirate Lord
The Pirate Lords are a group of 9 Capitans from around the world that were binded by the Pirate's Code. "Keep to the Code", they say. But when one dies, he or she must pass along the Title of Pirate Lord, and their Peice of Eight.

And without further ado...

Requirements
Skills: Profession (Sailor): 4 Ranks; Profession (Capitan): 6 Ranks; Sense Motive: 4 Ranks; Bluff: 4 Ranks; Balance: 4 Ranks; Open Lock OR Disguise OR Sleight of Hand: 2 Ranks
Feats: Quick Draw, Two Weapon Fighting, Skill Focus: Profession (Capitan)
Proficiencies: Cutlass (See: Slashing Shortsword), Pistol (Where Applicable)
Alignment; Any Non Lawful
Special: Must be given one of the nine peices of eight from a dying Pirate Lord.

Effects:
HD: d8
Skill Points: 6+Int
Skills: As a Rouge

Pirate Lord
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|Personal Effects, Pirate's Code, Generate Rum

2nd|
+2|
+2|
+2|
+2|Uncanny Dodge, Sailing Skill

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3| Yo Ho..., "Yar, We Be Pirates!"

4th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+3|Avast! We shall fight!, Sailing Skill

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4| "He's a Pirate!" [/table]

Personal Effects (EX) All Pirates carry with them a special artifact. This is their trademark Item. For Jack Sparrow, it was his Compass. A Player may select from the list below. He may not change this choice afterwards.
Compass: The Compass has the ability to point to whatever you want the most. This can be anything from Rum, To Women, to a burried treasure. When held, you immediately know your general location,
Telescope: The Telescope can see the future. The holder gains a +1 modifier to any die roll 3/day, plus a +10 bonus to spot checks.
Cutlass: The Pirate's Favored Blade. When Using the Cutlass, the Pirate can Bypass the first 5 points of DR.
Pistol: The Pirates Favored Gun. Its a basic Ball-and-Powder Pistol, but can be used to hold two shots X/Day, where X is the Pirate Lords Class level times two.
Hat: The Pirates got a trademark Hat. When worn, it provides a +5 competence bonus to all social skills.
Boots: These boots allow the Pirate Lord to run as if he had expeditious retreat cast upon him, and allow a +5 Bonus to Balance and climb checks.

Pirates Code (EX) A Pirate Must abide by a set of laws passed down from ancient pirates. Essentialy, it states that if a Pirate ever changes to a Lawful alignment, he loses all class benefits. He must revert to Non lawful alignment and get an atonement spell cast before he can regain his spells. Also, he must spend 1 week on a desert island to relearn the Pirates code.

Generate Rum (SP) A Pirate can, 1/day, magicaly create a Large bottle of Rum, as the Spell "Create Food and Water". However, it only works for creating Rum. The rum created is in a Large Glass Bottle (Akin to a Wine Bottle), and if sold/traded, the rum inside the bottle becomes warm urine.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex) The pirate retains his dexterity to AC if caught flat footed.

Sailing Skill (EX) A Pirate must learn somethings alone the ways of being a Pirate. Pick one at 2nd level, then another at 4th level. This choice cannot be undone.

Capitan: +5 To Charisma Based Checks
Helmsman: +5 to Dexterity Based Checks
Sails: +5 to Strength Based Checks
Cannoneer: +5 to Constitution Based Checks
Brig Watcher: +5 to Wisdom Based Checks
Suppliesman: +5 To Intelegence Based Checks.

Yo Ho... (Ex) As a free action, a Pirate can begin to sing the song. Allies within 20 ft begin to sing the Pirates song, and add the Pirate Lord's class level/ 2 rounded down as an enhancement bonus to attack rolls. Note that only Non Lawful characters are affected. All others are not.

"Yarr! We be Pirates!" (EX) If a Pirate spends his move action taunting an opponent, then the Pirate Lord may subtract X from his opponents AC, where X is the Pirate Lord's Class levels. It may not be used on Flatfooted opponents, nor may it be used to take an opponents AC below 10.

Avast, We shall fight! (Su) A Pirate is skilled in the art of battle. He may treat any Enemy as if they had a dexterity bonus of 0, but may only apply sneak attack damage if the target is actualy flat footed.

"He's a Pirate!" (Ex): The Pirate Lord Can always find a way to come back after he is killed. For one week after he is killed, he will appear washed up on a deserted island in the middle of the ocean, but this only has a 35% chance of working, +1% for each point of charisma he has. Roll d% to find out wether he comes back to life,. He Suffers NO EXP penalty for this. This only works that if your body was destroyed or cannot be located. If you die (Via Hanging/ head is chopped off), your DEAD. You suffer the full EXP penalty.

Yeah. Saw Pirates 3 Twice in one day. Epic.

Korias
2007-05-27, 10:03 PM
Here are the Lyrics to the Song I was refering to in the "Yo Ho..." Ability

Yo... Ho...
Alll Hands...
Raise The Colors
High...

Heave ho...
Theives and Beggars
Never Say
Goodbye...

Alternativley, they could be... (Lyrics gotten from http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/piratesofthecaribbean/yohoapirateslifeforme.htm)

"Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.
We pillage, we plunder, we rifle, and loot,
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot,
Drink up me 'earties, yo ho.

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me.
We extort, we pilfer, we filch, and sack,
Maraud and embezzle, and even high-jack,

We kindle and char, inflame and ignite,
We burn up the city, we're really a fright,

We're rascals, scoundrels, villans, and knaves,
We're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs,

We're beggars and blighters, ne'er-do-well cads,
Aye, but we're loved by our mommies and dads,
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho. "

Khoran
2007-05-27, 10:35 PM
Just because I thought you'd be interested, there is a Cutlass Weapon in Stormwrack. It's basically a slashing Short Sword, still a light weapon.

Anyways, a couple suggetions.

Alignment: I'd just make it non-lawful personally. There is no reason you can't have a good pirate.

Pirates Artifact: First off, I think the name should be probobly along the lines of personal trinket, since it's magic sounds like it only works for you. And now onto the artifacts themselves
-Compass: The bonuses seem rather random. +10 on Bluff and Sense Motive dosn't seem to make much sence for a compass. I'd suggest making it so that you have bonuses in regards to navigation and manuevering rather than social skills.
-Telescope: Feels pretty powerful, +1 on all rolls. Perhaps make it +1 to a single roll with a few charges per day? Also, +Spot checks would be good to.
-Cutlass: Completly ignore DR seems a bit much. Maybe make it able to reduce someone DR, but not completly ignore it. Also, personally think it should use the cutlass weapon (as mentioned earlier)
-Pistol: Extra bullet is good for a dramatic thing, but over use can lead to it not being as exciting. So, maybe giving you an extra shot x/day?
-Hat: Think it should be +5 with all social skills, but otherwise I like.

Pirate's Code: Not bad, like the paladin thing but in reverse and not as restictive. Still don't agree with the non-good thing though, think it should just be non-lawful.

Generate Rum: Only way I can see it cause problems would be players being jerks and trying to sell the rum to get more money (Silly, I know, but some people are like that.), but otherwise it's fun.

Pirates Binding: The wording seems a bit off (Do you mean character level instead of class level), but this seems like it would just be WAY to powerful. Becoming immune to all divine magic would be pretty unfair, I feel. How about, instead, making it so that you've got some nasty SR while at Sea.

Sailing Skills: No problems here.

Yo Ho...: Could use a little toaning down, as it becomes better then 20th level Bardic Music? Perhaps Pirate Lord level/2 rounding down?

Pirate's Quotes: Could use a new name, but otherwise it seems good. Though I think there should be two catches to it. First would be that it dosn't work against people who are flat-footed, since they're not able to activly defend themselves. The other would be that it can't take someone's AC below 10 (though this one I'm not to sure on.)

Avast, We shall fight!: Treat someone as always flatfooted? Wow, that's actually kinda nasty. Rogue/PL getting their Sneak Attack bonus constantly just seems a bit too easy. Perhaps making it for one round x/day?

"He's a Pirate!": Think it should be that if your body is destroyed or cannot be located, you will reserect yourself on a nearby beachfront. I think that if you get your head chopped off via CdG, there isn't any dramatically coming back. You dead without magic.

____

Sorry if I seem a bit too critique heavy, just thought it could use some serious toaning down.

Also, you can enter this class at level 3 if you are a human. Might want to give it a BAB requirement or up some of the skill ranks to raise it to the normal area when you can take a PrC (5th-6th level)

Poppatomus
2007-05-27, 10:35 PM
Brilliant, and in such a short time frame as well.

Mr. Moogle
2007-05-27, 10:59 PM
Shouldn't there be a part about swinging on ropes?

Korias
2007-05-28, 09:58 AM
Khoran: Thank you! I'll definately make some changes.

Korias
2007-05-28, 07:26 PM
Made some changes. Comments anybody?

aaron_the_cow
2007-05-28, 07:39 PM
pur owsemness, no joke.
I would love to see a player trying to make a quick buck and selling the rum. then getting runout of town. or giving it to a frend on perpouse.

Korias
2007-05-28, 07:42 PM
pur owsemness, no joke.
I would love to see a player trying to make a quick buck and selling the rum. then getting runout of town. or giving it to a frend on perpouse.

Im going to assume you said "Pure Awesomness" There...

But yeah. Pirate Lords should DRINK their rum, not sell it.

Korias
2007-05-30, 07:34 PM
Any other comments or criticism?

Rama_Lei
2007-05-30, 07:51 PM
I before E except after C

Korias
2007-05-30, 08:34 PM
So True, Rama. So Very True...

Fredderf
2007-06-01, 08:27 AM
Cleverly done. The capstone dosn't really thrill me. I saw something similar to it before, but it had like a 35% chance to trigger. According to how you died you could also raise and lower that figure a little. Perhaps there should be a percent to come back? Otherwise most of 'em would rather jump off a cliff than fight a golem.

Movie kinda disapointed me. Too many ideas, too few decent explainations, too little time. Calypso was a perfect example of that. Oh well, can't win 'em all. Good class though!

Korias
2007-06-01, 11:05 AM
Cleverly done. The capstone dosn't really thrill me. I saw something similar to it before, but it had like a 35% chance to trigger. According to how you died you could also raise and lower that figure a little. Perhaps there should be a percent to come back? Otherwise most of 'em would rather jump off a cliff than fight a golem.

Movie kinda disapointed me. Too many ideas, too few decent explainations, too little time. Calypso was a perfect example of that. Oh well, can't win 'em all. Good class though!

Isnt a Pirate's motto "Fight to Run Away"?

Yeah, a percentage to see if they do comeback would work...

Falconsflight
2007-06-01, 03:07 PM
Pirates Code (EX) A Pirate Must abide by a set of laws passed down from ancient pirates. Essentialy, it states that if a Pirate ever changes to a Lawful alignment, he loses all class benefits. He must revert to Non lawful alignment and get an atonement spell cast before he can regain his spells. Also, he must spend 1 week on a desert island to relearn the Pirates code.

You do realize the irony in this ability right?

"You must follow the rule that states: Stop following Rules"

Korias
2007-06-01, 04:20 PM
Aye, but the Codes more like "Guidelines", Matey...

Tis ment to be similar to the Paladin's code of honor, but also in keeping with the movie:A Pirate cant become a Pirate Lord without obeying the code to SOME extent.

Poppatomus
2007-06-01, 04:28 PM
Agreed. The essence of chaotic is encapsulted in the idea of "more like guidelines than actual rules."

plus, I think if anyone could appreciate the idea of a binding code who's only "law" is "don't be lawful," it would be a pirate lord.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-06-01, 07:11 PM
Hmmm....reminds me of the "Davy Jones" template I made after I saw the second movie...guess I'll post it.