Level 5
Must have ingested poison and lived
Must be proficient with the Blowpipe

Natural Poison

Blowpipe Expertise

Acid Blood

Ability Score Improvement

Living Toxin

Natural Poison-You can excrete your own poison from bodily fluids. As a bonus action, you may coat a weapon or three pieces of ammunition in poison. This poison deals 2X your Poisoner level in damage, or half on succesful saving throw (DC 8+Proficiency+Con mod). It lasts for up to one minute or, in the case of a melee weapon, three strikes.

In addition, you gain resistance to poison damage and advantage on saves against poison.

Blowpipe Expertise-You now ignore the loading property for a blowpipe. In addition, it now deals 1d4 base damage in your hands.

Acid Blood-When struck by a melee attack, you may fling your toxic blood back in your opponents face as a reaction. It deals the same damage as your Natural Poison class feature with the same saving throw.

Living Toxin-You are now immune to poison. In addition, your Natural Poison can now be made in any form-weapon coating, ingestion, powder, etc.

breckdogg
2019-03-06, 04:33 PM
This is a fantastic idea! I love the thought of being able to flavor this with an assassin.

JNAProductions
2019-03-06, 04:35 PM
This is a fantastic idea! I love the thought of being able to flavor this with an assassin.

I appreciate this.

But HOO BOY am I not a fan of it. It's not... Bad? But it's so BLAND! My god, I could've done so much better.

JNAProductions
2019-03-06, 05:08 PM
Requirements
Level 5+
Must have been poisoned

Poisoner

Level
Features

1st
Poisoning Expertise, Natural Poison

2nd
Living Toxin

3rd
Advanced Poisons

4th
Ability Score Alchemy

5th
Insidious Supreme

Poisoning Expertise
At level one, you gain proficiency in the Blowpipe, as well as in Poison Kits. You double your proficiency bonus with any checks made with a Poison Kit. In addition, you gain resistance to Poison damage and advantage on saves against Poison.

Natural Poison
Also at first level, you can selectively excrete poison from your body. As a bonus action, you may coat a weapon or three pieces of ammo with a poison unique to yourself. It lasts for one minute, or until three strikes with a melee weapon are made, whichever comes first. This poison deals 1d4 points of damage per level in this class., with a Constitution save of DC 8+your Proficiency bonus+your Constitution modifier for half damage. This poison is especially potent, dealing half damage to normally immune foes and full damage to resistant foes.

Living Toxin
At level two, you gain immunity to Poison damage and the Poisoned condition. In addition, whenever you are struck with a melee attack, you may use your reaction to spray poison at your assailant. They must make a save against your poison, taking 1d4 points of damage per Poisoner level on a failed save and half on a successful.

Advanced Poisons
At level three, you gain a pool of more potent poisons equal to your Proficiency bonus plus your Constitution modifier. This refreshes on a short or long rest.

When creating your poison, you may expend points without an action to enhance it in the following ways:

1 Point-Increase the die size by one. This may be applied multiple times to the same poison.
1 Point-The poison lasts eight hours, and may be created as a powder, ingestion poison, or any other variant. If 2 points are spent, it lasts 24 hours. 3 points, one week. 4 points, one month.
2 Points-On a failed save, your poison inflicts the Poisoned condition for one minute. They may repeat the save at the end of each of their turns to shake off the effect. This can even affect normally immune creatures, however, they gain advantage on their saves. If a creature would normally only have advantage, they instead make their save normally.
2 Points-Your poison inflicts the Blinded or Deafened condition for one minute with a failed save, with a new save at the end of each of their turns to shake off the effects.
3 Points-Your poison Stuns your target if they fail their save until the end of your next turn.
6 Points-Your poison Paralyzes your target if they fail their save until the end of your next turn.
6 Points-Your poison Restrains the target on a failed save. At the end of their turn, they repeat the save, become Restrained and Stunned on a failure, or free on a success. If they failed both saves, they must make a third one at the end of their next turn, becoming Petrified on a third failure, or free on a success.

Note that, with the exception of inflicting the Poisoned condition, features such as Dwarven Resilience offer no benefit on saves against these effects.

Ability Score Alchemy
At level four, you're able to produce a potent concoction that increases your attributes. At the end of any rest, you may choose to distribute a total of two points across your ability scores, increasing them by that amount to a max of 20. You may redistribute these at the end of any rest where you had access to a Poison Kit.

Insidious Supreme
At level five, your poison deals full damage to all creatures, even if they would normally be immune. In addition, decrease the final cost of any of your Advanced Poisons options by one, to a minimum of zero. (For instance, if you choose to merely increase the damage die one step, it would normally cost one point, which is reduced to zero. if you decide to increase the die size by four steps, to a d12, and make it last 24 hours, it would cost six points normally, but only five with this feature.)

I like this better. Please critique.

JMS
2019-03-06, 05:21 PM
No comments on the balance, but I personally (and probably others) dislike the Natural Poison and Living Toxin fluff, since I don't want a "snake" rogue, I want a rogue that makes their own poisons. It's an easy refluff, I like something like the PF alchemist or spell pouch's handwave of materials.

For the refluff, I might also make it Int based, rather than Con, again for flavor.
In short, rather than master poisoner and assassin, I saw a venomous beast as the current concept, if that make sense?

JNAProductions
2019-03-06, 05:25 PM
No comments on the balance, but I personally (and probably others) dislike the Natural Poison and Living Toxin fluff, since I don't want a "snake" rogue, I want a rogue that makes their own poisons. It's an easy refluff, I like something like the PF alchemist or spell pouch's handwave of materials.

For the refluff, I might also make it Int based, rather than Con, again for flavor.
In short, rather than master poisoner and assassin, I saw a venomous beast as the current concept, if that make sense?

Fluff it how you will. Int-based is most definitely a nerf, but if you want to, go ahead.

But yeah, it'd be real easy to change that to just stockpiling a host of poisons (or poison bases) and applying them deftly and quickly mid-combat.

breckdogg
2019-03-08, 12:55 PM
When creating your poison, you may expend points without an action to enhance it in the following ways:

1 Point-Increase the die size by one. This may be applied multiple times to the same poison.
1 Point-The poison lasts eight hours, and may be created as a powder, ingestion poison, or any other variant. If 2 points are spent, it lasts 24 hours. 3 points, one week. 4 points, one month.
2 Points-On a failed save, your poison inflicts the Poisoned condition for one minute. They may repeat the save at the end of each of their turns to shake off the effect. This can even affect normally immune creatures, however, they gain advantage on their saves. If a creature would normally only have advantage, they instead make their save normally.
2 Points-Your poison inflicts the Blinded or Deafened condition for one minute with a failed save, with a new save at the end of each of their turns to shake off the effects.
3 Points-Your poison Stuns your target if they fail their save until the end of your next turn.
6 Points-Your poison Paralyzes your target if they fail their save until the end of your next turn.
6 Points-Your poison Restrains the target on a failed save. At the end of their turn, they repeat the save, become Restrained and Stunned on a failure, or free on a success. If they failed both saves, they must make a third one at the end of their next turn, becoming Petrified on a third failure, or free on a success.

Note that, with the exception of inflicting the Poisoned condition, features such as Dwarven Resilience offer no benefit on saves against these effects.

I prefer this to the original class, mix it with a Dragonborn and you get two resistances, nice, and the advanced poison makes the class more veristile.

Deadfire182
2019-03-08, 02:34 PM
I originally clicked on this thread expecting an alchemist-type prestige, but I'm pleasantly surprised with this. I like the idea of a poisonous frog-like creature, and dipping weapons into the poison is akin to indigenous tribes doing something similar. Thumbs up from me!