PDA

View Full Version : scorcerer unknown spell casting

psychoduck14
2007-05-28, 06:17 PM
what do think about this:

a scorcerer can sacrifise 2 spells of a given lvl to cast one spell he doesnt know that is of the same lvl.
DC is 10 + spell lvl
CLC is 1d20 + car. bonus.

or:

DC is 15 + spell lvl
CLC is 1d20 + caster lvl

and maybe you could lose 1 hp per spell lvl you tried to summon if failed.

Poppatomus
2007-05-28, 06:24 PM
I'm always reluctant to endorse a class ability that removes a basic class restriction. This is an interesting idea, though i'd suggest you use the first, not the second check. (50% chance to cast any 4th level spell at level 18) though cha is easier to pump up to ridiculous levels. I won't really comment on the balance, I'll leave it to someone with more experience playing a Sorc.

psychoduck14
2007-05-28, 06:31 PM
maybe:
DC15+spell lvl
CLC1d20+cha bonus?

Solo
2007-05-28, 06:41 PM
perhaps the char. bonus should have a max of +10 or something?

psychoduck14
2007-05-28, 06:46 PM
yes a max for shure

Poppatomus
2007-05-28, 06:51 PM
what if, rather than a spell failure chance, it added an additional limitation. The reason I am wary about this is because, the cost is two spell slots, regardless, and in play it will either be extremely frustrating, or extremely effective, based on the roll. There are alot of things that work that way, but especially with something that potentially powerful or weak it seems like it should be less up in the air.

what if, rather than the check, the time to cast the spell was increased x10.

PerasThorngage
2007-05-30, 03:39 AM
How about removing the caster level check entirely?

Instead make a handy non combat ability that doesn't come up in combat at all.

Something like you can spend two of your spell castings per day, and cast any spell on the Wiz/Sorc spell list this casting takes three minutes. That way the sorceror has more versatility and seems more like he is channeling raw magic instead of learning from a book.

Hmm not sure how that would work without play testing it.

I dont run anything like this for my game, but it is an interesting idea. Tell me how it works out.

BTW sorry for horrible punctuation/grammar as I know I'm not the best.