PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Phantom Ranger [Occult Archetype]

Milo v3
2015-11-07, 07:17 AM
Phantom Ranger - Ranger Archetype
Speak with Dead (Sp): The phantom ranger can cast Speak with Dead a number of times per day equal to the his wisdom bonus (minimum 1) up to a maximum of his half his class level, with a caster level equal to his class level. This replaces wild empathy.
Phantom Limb (Su): Upon reaching 3rd level, a phantom ranger can spend a free action to allow a faint ectoplasmic limb to drips and flows from his body. This limb functions like a normal limb in every way, though can be dismissed as a free action. At 8th level and every five levels thereafter, the phantom ranger gains an additional phantom limb. This replaces favoured terrain.
Phantom: At fourth level, the phantom ranger becomes able to manifest his phantom. This ability functions like the spiritualist phantom ability and the etheric tether ability, except that the phantom ranger's effective spiritualist level is equal to his ranger level – 3. This replaces hunter's bond.
Spells: The phantom ranger draws his spells from the spiritualist list rather than the ranger list.
Shroud of the Grave (Su): A phantom ranger of 12th level or higher can use the Stealth skill to hide even if the terrain doesn't grant cover or concealment, as long as his phantom is not currently manifested. This replaces camouflage.
Shroud of the Beyond (Su): As long as his phantom is not currently manifested, a phantom ranger of 17th level or higher can use the Stealth skill even while being observed. This replaces hide in plain sight.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-11-07, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure I understand the limitation on combat style.

Also, are spells still divine, or are they psychic?

Milo v3
2015-11-07, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure I understand the limitation on combat style.

Also, are spells still divine, or are they psychic?

The limitation on style is because my original thought on the whole archetype was "how do I justify a ranger who wields eight swords at once?"

As for spells, they are still divine they just use the spiritualists spell list.

Ethereal Gears
2015-11-13, 08:25 AM
I think I like keeping the spells divine but using the spiritualist spell list, actually. I like occult class features paired with divine casting. It creates interesting flavor interactions, I think.

Anyway, this is a very neato archetype. I love the flavor of the phantom limbs. Should possibly clarify that Multi-Weapon Fighting is added to the combat style's list of bonus feats, or would this already automatically become the case for a multi-limbed creature? To echo Ilorin, though, I'm not entirely sure the combat style limitation is warranted. I mean, it could be cool to just play a phantom ranger who uses his multiple arms to wield wands and shields or to use a bow and a two-handed reach weapon simultaneously, or things like that. Basically, I think you may be unnecessarily restricting the cool flavor of the phantom limbs by this restriction.

Other than that, speak with dead is a quite powerful spell, and overall I would consider it a far more useful ability than wild empathy. Instead of gaining Wis mod uses of it, I would suggest starting out with one daily use, and increasing them as the phantom ranger levels up.

Lastly, would Boon Companion work to boost your effective level for your phantom? If not, I don't think creating a similar feat which does that would be out of bounds. Obviously, there is no "Boon Eidolon" feat, and for good reason, but phantoms are hardly as powerful as eidolons and I don't think it would be OP to provide as an option.

Cheers,
- Gears