PDA

View Full Version : Soul Fuel ?...

nonsi
2015-11-07, 10:00 AM
I was wondering if d20 has any rules regarding fueling spells via harvested souls (maybe even to the point of specialized spells that require a harvested soul to fuel its effect(s)) and/or incorporating harvested souls into the creation of magical gear (in a sense that the soul plays a role in the item's functionality - maybe making it an intelligent item or something).

Anyone knows of anything in the general direction?

Bobbybobby99
2015-11-07, 10:20 AM
I believe pathfinder has a system involving them replacing material components in spellcasting somewhere on their SRD, which seems easily portable.

Jormengand
2015-11-07, 10:40 AM
The Book of Vile Darkness allows you to use souls instead of XP, or to sacrifice creatures for gold or XP (but only as materials for crafting). The rules for dark craft materials are on P27 and evil material components on P45.

Network
2015-11-07, 11:48 AM
I second Jormengand's statement on the Book of Vile Darkness and point out that some d20 monsters, most notably the devourer, can absorb a creature's soul then use up the creature's HD to fuel their spell-like abilities. If I remember correctly, the iron lich (from the d20 version of Iron Kingdoms) and a couple other critters published under the OGL can do the same.

Starbuck_II
2015-11-08, 01:13 PM
Iron Kingdoms has Soulfueling, letting you power spells with Con damage to increase caster level (do it too much and it can get permanent), for one religion.

nonsi
2015-11-13, 03:08 AM
Thanks everybody. I got all that I needed out of these tips.