PDA

View Full Version : Cleric of Kord

Galdor Miriel
2007-05-29, 09:16 AM
Hi all

I have a 5th level cleric of Kord that I am trying to come up with a plan for. He is currently playing in the Age of Worms campaign and is having a lot of fun.

Tom O'Mettle has the following stats:

STR 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 16 Cha 8

Alignment: CG

So far he has been cleric 2/ fighter 1/ cleric 2

FEATs Dodge, Improved Grapple, Unarmed Strike, Power Attack

His background is he trained as a monk, lacked the discipline and got into wrestling as a sport, which led him to Kord, where he found his niche.

I could take him straight cleric the rest of the way, and his spell selection will reflect his ethos as a front line fighter rather than a healer. He just jumps right in and grapples when enlarged, rage would be great but I went with fighter rather than barbarian because Kord is not really a barbarian god from the sources I read.

But, I would be interested if anyone has any ideas about prestige classes that might fit the bill for this heroic wrestler of evil. In terms of feats I could swap out dodge but the others are definitely part of his character.

Look forward to the input I will surely receive.

Oh and by the way, I know I lost a caster level, get spells later and did it sub-optimally, but thats Tom O'Mettle, hes a fighter at heart with a great love for Kord.

Galdor

Swooper
2007-05-29, 09:46 AM
Well, there's always the Reaping Mauler PrC from CW. But that would mean sacrificing spellcasting of course.

Yvian
2007-05-29, 09:54 AM
Well, there's always the Reaping Mauler PrC from CW. But that would mean sacrificing spellcasting of course.

I will second that motion. Of course, Reaping Mauler, is not a full PrC [i.e. there are not 10 levels] so one could alternate between mauler and cleric.

Galdor Miriel
2007-05-29, 12:17 PM
Sounds interesting, I will look into it.

Umbral Chicken
2007-05-29, 12:29 PM
This may be a stretch, but if you can convince your DM to do it, it might be fun.

I would recommend going Pious Templar of Kord. With Templar you get good combat progression, some spell casting to use that high wisdom, good saves, smites, and let us not forget mettle for Mr. Tom O’Mettle :smallsmile:.

The stretch comes when you ask the DM to allow you to use weapon focus (unarmed strike) to be you “templar weapon”. After all Kord is a god of wrestling and hand-to-hand combat, his templar should be allowed to be the same.

Person_Man
2007-05-29, 12:42 PM
Reaping Mauler sounds good from a fluff point of view. But Clerics are clearly most powerful when they have full caster progression. Whatever bonus feats you might get (Fighter 1) or special abilities (better Grapple) are a joke compared to high level magic (Divine Power, Righteous Might, Freedom of Movement, Spell Resistance, True Seeing, Blade Barrier, etc).

So I would suggest staying a plain Cleric, or if you can find one, go into a full caster progression PrC (though this is difficult for someone who worships Kord, since many Cleric PrC are god specific and Kord doesn't have one).

Rincewind
2007-05-30, 01:53 PM

That one P.C. always sounds to me like "Raping Mauler". I mean, those guys can knock out people very fast, if you know what i mean...

de-trick
2007-05-30, 03:44 PM
That one P.C. always sounds to me like "Raping Mauler". I mean, those guys can knock out people very fast, if you know what i mean...

i do and good 1

Skjaldbakka
2007-05-30, 04:05 PM
Stick with straight cleric. PrC levels won't count for strength domain's power.

Fourth Tempter
2007-05-30, 04:19 PM
Reaping Mauler is a trap--you lose the benefits if you become larger than Medium, and some of the best buffing spells do that (not to mention that size gives you grapple bonuses). Beyond that, it is simply not very good.

A "fighter at heart" does not need a level of Fighter. Cleric 5 represents such a character just as well as Cleric 4, Fighter 1 does.

Fronko
2007-05-30, 04:29 PM
You may want to take a look at:

The mighty Contender of Kord (http://webs.lanset.com/mlw/mighty_contender.htm)

Not sure, how well it is balanced, I just found it in the web. It is only half caster progression, though.

de-trick
2007-05-30, 06:25 PM
dont clerics of kord wrestle to get there spells

Galdor Miriel
2007-06-01, 10:04 AM
This may be a stretch, but if you can convince your DM to do it, it might be fun.

I would recommend going Pious Templar of Kord. With Templar you get good combat progression, some spell casting to use that high wisdom, good saves, smites, and let us not forget mettle for Mr. Tom O’Mettle :smallsmile:.

The stretch comes when you ask the DM to allow you to use weapon focus (unarmed strike) to be you “templar weapon”. After all Kord is a god of wrestling and hand-to-hand combat, his templar should be allowed to be the same.

I'll look into that, sounds cool, otherwise I will stick with cleric and pick up combat brute or shock trooper. Kord is also into swinging a great sword which would work well with those tactical feats.

Cheers ears

Galdor Miriel
2007-06-01, 10:08 AM
You may want to take a look at:

The mighty Contender of Kord (http://webs.lanset.com/mlw/mighty_contender.htm)

Not sure, how well it is balanced, I just found it in the web. It is only half caster progression, though.

From an RP viewpoint that PRC is awesome and fits the ethos like a glove.

Many thanks Fronko

Matthew
2007-06-01, 10:12 AM
You could always try and get into the Sacred Fist Prestige Class... (you could qualify for it as a Fighter 2/Cleric 4 if you trade out Dodge).

[Edit]Oops, no, stupid Stunning Fist is BAB 8. That'll teach me to pay attention to Feat prerequisites. Oh well, you could qualify as a Fighter 1/ Monk 1/Cleric 4 (but maybe that's going a little far).

Level 1: Monk - Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Improved Grapple,
Level 2: Fighter - Combat Reflexes
Level 3: Cleric - Combat Casting
Level 4: Cleric
Level 5: Cleric
Level 6: Cleric - Dodge or whatever
Level 7: Sacred Fist