PDA

View Full Version : Loot Lugging Magic Items

Lysander
2007-05-29, 08:46 PM
Here are a few alternatives to a Bag of Holding and some monetary accessories:

Coin Bank

This coin can absorb and store up to 10,000 coins of the same metal. It can take these coins one at a time, or if tossed into a pile of money will suck up nearby coins. Upon the bearer's request it can release these coins, in any quantity required. The coin does not gain weight as it absorbs coins and never looks like anything more than an ordinary metal piece. Varieties: Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum.

Gem Hider

This small white stone creates an illusion around small jewels within one foot of distance, disguising them as mixed nuts.

Money Counter

This tiny brass stick can be tapped against any pile or stack of money to instantly display in red letters the number of coins, of any metal, that it contains.

Gold Hold

This whistle dissolves any gold coins you are carrying and turns them into worthless ordinary dust that settles about the room. The dust has inertia and is unaffected by ordinary wind but can be swept away, with difficulty. A second whistle will reconstitute the dust into coins.

Lightning Tie

This steel rope has hardness 10 and 5 hit points. It is too short to tie up or even bind the wrists of most living creatures but is ideal for tying off a sack. Once a knot has been made anyone other than the tyer who undoes the Lighting Tie will suffer an electrical shock that deals 4d6 damage and creates a loud thunderclap.

Piggy Walker

This tiny golem is a hollow porcelain pig capable of holding up to 25 coins, with a slot on its back and a removable rubber stopper in its belly. It can walk at a normal pace and follow simple commands about where to move or who to follow.

PerasThorngage
2007-05-29, 10:43 PM
These are great (especially the pig :) ) consider them taken.

other items I thought up (though probably less cool)

Shovel of Filling

This ordinary looking shovel can absorb up to 15 cu feet of soft soil, that it can store without adding to the weight or size of the shovel. With the command word "fill" the shovel releases any amount of dirt up to the 15 cu feet in the square occupied.

Log of Everburning Goodness

This ten pound log can on command light on fire as per the create fire spell. The log is never damaged by this and produces no smoke in and of itself. The log can be put out with the same command word.

Small car of tiny peoples (that happened to be dressed like clowns)

This small carriage can fit in the palm of your hand. Any creature of up to small size can open the door, and by placing their finger in the carriage transport inside of it much like a rope trick spell. As a move action creatures inside the carriage can exit it. The car can hold a total of 37 small creatures.

DracoDei
2007-05-30, 12:16 AM
Need to give the movement rate on the carriage if any... and that probably means it technically qualifies as a construct, so it needs a stat block and what happens to the occupants if it is destroyed.

Poppatomus
2007-05-30, 12:22 AM
Need to give the movement rate on the carriage if any... and that probably means it technically qualifies as a construct, so it needs a stat block and what happens to the occupants if it is destroyed.

agree that it needs the movement speed and an explanation of the occupants fate, but I don't think it needs to be a construct. Strikes me more as wonderous item. I'd suggest just saying it has the stats of a normal carriage of the type created but with X hp and X movespeed, if not the normal ones.

Hectonkhyres
2007-05-30, 01:07 AM
As for carrying around coinage, I generally don't. The vast majority of my ill-gotten gains go straight into either the infernal or mechanus-based banking systems. That, or I start investing it myself. Buy rights to a stable portal, kickstart a small trade route, buy land or property, sell arms to at least one side in any given war... whatever. A thousand gold goes a long way in an economically depressed corner of the planes or just about anywhere on the prime material.

All part of reason #256 why playing a bastard, particularly the bastard who is forgine his own empire, can be fun. Yay for the pragmatist blackguard.

I have seen a necromancer smuggle everything and its mother in his zombies... though that only works in places where people have seen too many zombies to even raise an eyebrow. Which means over half the places along the numerous trade routes radiating out from Sigil... at least to a distance of a couple of week's travel time or so. The same holds true for non-com labor golems. This can be pushed even farther if you are willing to expend enough time and disguise checks making your abominations look marginally human (or dwarf or gnome or whatever).

In my games, Loki has a gate beast (a living flux of energy, though it can look like anything, that can transport damn near anything damn near ever anywhere or act as an infinite bag of holding. He generally just has it go around and screw with whole civilizations. Imagine a giant crocodile laying down in the middle of the Nile and eating it... only to have a massive statue of Loki in the middle of the desert peeing the whole thing out again. Loki is, of course, a bastard...

I heard of a gnome working up a spider-cart. A somewhat silly looking golem with four spindley legs supporting something akin to an oriental fruit stand. Not godlike by any streach of an imagination, but it can certainly carry a couple hundred pounds and follow you around.

I have also heard of a flask of holding... capable of storing several large kegs worth of any sort of booze. Handy for your drunken master or any ablative meat sheild with a drinking habit. Also damn fine if filled with pure alcohol. A variant could be one that can be filled with different types of booze without mixing them... supplying whichever one is specifically requested or a random one if the user voices no preference.

PerasThorngage
2007-05-30, 03:32 AM
Sorry I know I didn't stat up those items properly, it was done more as a joke on the carriage than anything. But now that i think about it, I suppose it would be a pretty handy little item.

PerasThorngage
2007-05-30, 03:34 AM
Sorry I know I didn't stat up those items properly, it was done more as a joke on the carriage than anything. But now that i think about it, I suppose it would be a pretty handy little item.