PDA

View Full Version : On the orgins of the pc's

MR.PIXIE
2007-05-30, 01:48 PM
lets talk about rich's second book numeral zero,favorite strips,lest favorite strips or coments. I liked the :vaarsuvius: part:smallsmile:

Morty
2007-05-30, 02:00 PM
... Just curious, are you competing in a "Let's make as many threads as we can" tournament?
On topic, that book looks great. Shame I can't have it. Goddamned shipping costs...

Setra
2007-05-30, 02:08 PM
I liked Haley's Origins.

Ps. You're making a tad many threads.

MR.PIXIE
2007-05-30, 02:18 PM
... Just curious, are you competing in a "Let's make as many threads as we can" tournament?
Hey, thers got to be a an unset record like that some where:smallbiggrin:
Going of line now, But ill be waching you all:smallamused: bwa ha ha ha ha
:elan:
:haley:
:thog:

Icewalker
2007-05-30, 03:28 PM
Yeah, the book is excellent. Durkon has a funny one.
tankard o moose urine...

Also V's.
And Belkar's.
And the rest of the book.

readied actions. Heh.

Fraz-Urb'luu
2007-05-30, 04:34 PM
However big a fan of Vaarsuvius, I did not like his/her backround story very much. I much prefered that of Durkon, or Haley.

Gaelbert
2007-05-30, 05:11 PM
One thing I noticed was that Rich said he didn't show a part of one person's past because it will be used in the main plotline. What do you think that might be?

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-05-30, 05:19 PM
One thing I noticed was that Rich said he didn't show a part of one person's past because it will be used in the main plotline. What do you think that might be?

Well, Belkar had NO back story... He started out in jail, and jumped right into action. "V" didn't have much of a back story either, s/he was a contestant in an Iron Mage contest (kind of like Iron Chef), and also jumped into the story.

So the question is, do we really want to know Belkar's backstory? Does Hanibal Lecter have a place in a humorous comic? Maybe over at Goblinscomic.com...

I'd say "V" has dropped a few hints... A spouse, a home, friends and family. S/he has lots of potential, sort of like Durkon.

Faramir
2007-05-30, 08:48 PM
While there are many hilarious parts to it, I think my favorite single panel joke was "Animate Dead Barbershop Quartet". Favorite multi-panel sequence was Elan and the paladin in the tavern. But it's so hard to choose...

TheNovak
2007-05-30, 09:44 PM
The kobold fight at the end is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen, even after readin' it a dozen times. I can completely understand how seeing it in person would be fatal.

EricDerKonig
2007-05-30, 10:06 PM

I suspect it's V:
In one of the Paladin Blues commentaries, Rich notes that V's mate or marriage status will be significant later in the comic. Now we just have to speculate as to why...

Plus, in the commentary, he suggests that Belkar's backstory isn't very important (do we really want to know why he's so violent?), and Durkon, Roy, and Haley were very well covered. The only other possibility might be Elan - maybe there's more to the backstory with his Chaotic good mother?

NeonRonin
2007-05-31, 12:09 AM
I think one of my favorite bits was the 3 flashbacks showing times Elan screwed up with Sir Francois. Where, exactly, did Elan get a ceremonial 'meat' costume, and WHY? Did he think it might be a good way to break the ice with a dire wolf? Oh, that's right. Elan doesn't do much in the way of thinking... or didn't, before he joined the Order.

And of course, the one-page blurb:

:thog: thog not in this book. thog sad.

Icewalker
2007-05-31, 02:11 AM
I can definitely see Crystal coming back. That looks like it is going to come up.

Rincewind
2007-05-31, 02:39 AM
lets talk about rich's second book numeral zero,favorite strips,lest favorite strips or coments. I liked the :vaarsuvius: part:smallsmile:

Back to the studio with you then... :smallsmile:

Vargtass
2007-05-31, 08:33 AM
I think one of my favorite bits was the 3 flashbacks showing times Elan screwed up with Sir Francois. Where, exactly, did Elan get a ceremonial 'meat' costume, and WHY? Did he think it might be a good way to break the ice with a dire wolf? Oh, that's right. Elan doesn't do much in the way of thinking... or didn't, before he joined the Order.

And of course, the one-page blurb:

:thog: thog not in this book. thog sad.

I actually quoted Elan from that strip when our gang was laden with meat from the Dungeon storerooms. Obviously, we curiously happened to run into a Dire Wolf at that very moment...

... and, at least the Thog page is my kids' favorite... and they don't even read the stuff yet!

My own favorite is Roy's "Did I stutter?"-response to V.

MR.PIXIE
2007-05-31, 08:54 AM
I think one of my favorite bits was the 3 flashbacks showing times Elan screwed up with Sir Francois. [/B]

And then his promise to Roy.
:elan:I promise to be the bestist bard ever and never lead you in to an ambush or get you killed or... :roy: Thats an oddly specific promise.
And.
:elan: Um Sir Francious? Aw man, not again.
That was verry funny:smallbiggrin:

MR.PIXIE
2007-05-31, 08:58 AM
Back to the studio with you then... :smallsmile:

Im not going back there, everything is so clean, I can never find any thing in there!

Darkbane
2007-05-31, 10:56 PM
There's actually a strip here that references the "Troll Incident" with Sir Francois. Elan's talking to Hinjo on New Year's Eve.

Wolfie_1066
2007-05-31, 11:09 PM
okay...im not going to give the Details but everyone turn your books to Page 39 thats in Belkars story. looks at panel two...then go to page 50 and look at the last panel on that page in V's story...im not going into detail but come on...you guys can figure it out!
V is the reason Belkars in the OOTS! MY GOD! i wonder how s/he would cope with that knowlage?

Fawkes
2007-05-31, 11:10 PM
Where is that "troll incident" strip? Link plz.

holywhippet
2007-05-31, 11:39 PM

Well, consider what you are told about their early lives:

Roy - left his family because he father annoyed him and enrolled in fighters college

V - Was a child prodigy when it comes to magic and is currently married to an unknown person

Belkar - Was allegedly teased as a kid by the other halflings who wouldn't play with him. This might have been a lie intended to get more xp.

Haley - Went through a Goth phase at one point. I can't recall much else.

Elan - Has a very sweet natured mother. Has been sacked from his job as squire/personal bard a number of times.

Durkon - Other than the prophecy and the fact that he's a very lawful cleric, not much is known about him.

Roy seems an unlikely candidate all things considered since he's the team leader.

For the others:

Elan - he's been sacked several times, he might have worked for someone of importance.

V - His/her spouse is a strong candidate

Haley - It's been speculated that her mother might be significant in some way. She could also have stolen something important in the past. It's also interesting that she's trying to pay for her father to get free rather than trying to bust him out.

Belkar - Could something in the past have made him into the psychopath he is today? Could he have offed someone important?

Durkon - Friends? Family? Durkon is kind of a blank slate.

Icewalker
2007-05-31, 11:47 PM
He has said specifically that explaining why Belkar is psychopathic would be a bad idea. He'd stop being anywhere near as funny if his killing was justified :smallfrown:

I'm guessing Haley or Durkon. V's mate probably wouldn't make any large impact on the story. Elan...maybe. I dunno, just doesn't seem like a strong enough tie for a major story point.

Haley has a large unknown background, not to mention Crystal is definitely going to be coming after her.

Durkon has an absolute blank on story other than the mission to liaison with the humans. And...he has a grandfather. That's about all we know. Well, plus a little about dwarven culture, such as the burying with ancestors, but nothing about his background.

MR.PIXIE
2007-06-01, 09:14 AM
Elan's story,the inn,crystal !Omg everybody is in the same place in all the stories:smalleek:

David Argall
2007-06-01, 03:34 PM
He has said specifically that explaining why Belkar is psychopathic would be a bad idea. He'd stop being anywhere near as funny if his killing was justified

Quite possibly right, but there is always the town drunk who says "That woman drove me to drink .... You know, I never thanked her." approach. Belkar is quite happy with being an insane little monster, so having him grateful for whoever made him one is not that difficult and it can be done without hurting his funny factor.

MR.PIXIE
2007-06-01, 03:38 PM
Quite possibly right, but there is always the town drunk who says "That woman drove me to drink .... You know, I never thanked her." approach. Belkar is quite happy with being an insane little monster, so having him grateful for whoever made him one is not that difficult and it can be done without hurting his funny factor.

It was the guy who threw a cleric at his head,Remember?

Hart av Srednak
2007-06-01, 03:59 PM
Where is that "troll incident" strip? Link plz.

here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0311.html)

Wow.. my first too short message