PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dhampir Race. Needs Critiquing

Vemynal
2015-11-12, 04:57 AM
Hey everyone, I posted the other day on Reddit asking for Undead player options or balanced homebrew. I received a lot of advice and several links to some great homebrew but I also was directed to this website; https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/pub

Using this tool I created a Dhampir race and I wanted to see if you all feel its balanced while maintaining the Vampire/Undead theme. My goal was for a Race value of 5.5 to 6 points (Currently 6 points).

Dhampir:
Dex +2, Con +1. (3 points)
Medium Size, 30 ft speed.
Living Dead: Even though your ancestor was dead, you are a living creature. You are immune to disease and resistant to poison. You do not need to breathe and you may ingest food and drink if you wish. However, once a month you are required to drink blood or suffer a level of exhaustion. (1 point)
Graveborn: Advantage on all Int, Wis, & Cha saving throws against magic. (2 points)
Darkvision 60 ft (0.5 points)
Sunlight Sensitivity: Disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight. (-0.5 points)
Necrotic Resistance: Half damage from Necrotic (1 point)
Radiant Vulnerability: Double damage from Radiant (-1 point)

Rational:
In the Monster Manuel it lists that any PCs who become vampires have their STR, DEX, & CON increased to 18 (unless its already higher) so I chose +2 Dex and +1 Con to allow the race some versatility for player options.

I was constantly told "Just use the UA Warforged; Living Construct is close enough" so I modified it to be more thematic with a couple changes. Seeing as this race is alive, is not an elf, and is not a construct I removed the "trance" effect and required the player to drink blood once a month. I'm hoping including resistance to poison isn't to overpowered by comparison.

Darkvision and Sunlight Sensitivity seemed appropriate. I also included Necrotic Resistance and Radiant Vulnerability for thematic reasons. "Graveborn" is Gnome Cunning from the Deep Gnome Race but renamed to be appropriate. I felt like this was a good reflection of the Vampire's Legendary Saves affect. Initially I had also included a Fire Vulnerability but I was worried it made the race to weak (and the Monster Manuel Vampire has no such weakness).

Thanks again for the constructive feedback and as a famous pig once said; that's all folks! =)

M Placeholder
2015-11-12, 11:11 AM
It looks good. The necrotic damage should be a 0.5 instead of a 1 on the balance scale, though that does depend on the campaign setting.

Perhaps something to do with skill that is worth 0.5 and is tied into the theme of the race for a little something more?

Vemynal
2015-11-12, 02:53 PM
Thank you! I totally didn't catch that. I don't want to give Necrotic immunity due to the Evoker ability's to overcast but take necrotic damage (hellooooooo abuse! lol).

Maybe either an additional +5 to movement speed or a single skill proficiency?

Out of the following skills what do people think is the most thematic for an Undead/Vampire race? Deception, Persuasion, or Stealth?

M Placeholder
2015-11-12, 09:31 PM
Thank you! I totally didn't catch that. I don't want to give Necrotic immunity due to the Evoker ability's to overcast but take necrotic damage (hellooooooo abuse! lol).

Maybe either an additional +5 to movement speed or a single skill proficiency?

Out of the following skills what do people think is the most thematic for an Undead/Vampire race? Deception, Persuasion, or Stealth?

Considering the whole charm person and the whole quickness of vampires, either a trait related to Persuasion or an increase in the speed. I would go for Persuasion personally.

Grey Watcher
2015-11-13, 02:10 PM
Living Dead: Even though your ancestor was dead, you are a living creature. You are immune to disease and resistant to poison. You do not need to breathe and you may ingest food and drink if you wish. However, once a month you are required to drink blood or suffer a level of exhaustion. (1 point)

Might want to clarify that you do not need to eat or drink normal food or water to survive (since I think that was your intent).

Also, while this might be getting too nitpicky for 5E's general level of detail in ability descriptions, you might want to put a touch more into the drinking blood thing (eg how much, how fresh). As written, sucking on a used shaving razor once a month would, theoretically, be enough. :smalltongue:

PotatoGolem
2015-11-15, 12:30 PM
Seems reasonably fair. Radiant weakness and necrotic resist are probably each only worth .5, but it doesn't matter because they cancel each other out nicely. I definitely wouldn't add any more- Gnome Cunning is very strong, and it's essentially all that gnomes get. Also, if they're resistant to poison, shouldn't they also have advantage on saves against poison? All the current races that have one have both.

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-16, 08:15 AM
I think the class is in balance, the fluff is unique but the system not, maybe you can give him one feature more to make him who he is?