PDA

View Full Version : Hero Academy #2: Whodunit



Pages : [1] 2

sun_tzu
2007-05-30, 03:42 PM
A week has passed since the opening of the Hero Academy. A week of training in the gym, practicing in the danger deck (with reviews of the fights from Techno-Paladin), and occasionally patrolling.
Other than that, not much has been happening. The Monster War is still raging in Africa ((will talk about it in the OOC thread some day. Mad Scientist using genetically manipulated beasts for military purpose, taking over a few countries)). In more local news, Brick's death has raised numerous speculations, but no-one seems to have figured out what has driven the supervillain to suicide.
Techno-Paladin has warned you that an important lesson would be taking place today - but not with him. You're all at the academy's ground floor when you receive the holographic message he has left you:
"I wish I could be present at the lesson myself, but alas, I am going to be busy today - old Doc Prometheus robots have been reappearing in Japan, and Titan is worried somebody's reverse-engineered the designs. I'm needed as tech expert - but let me assure you, the teacher who'll be coming today is one of the best individuals for the task. Expect to meet him at 9:00."
It is 8:50.

HERO ACADEMY #2: wHODUNIT

Previous chapter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30836)
OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29109)

Axelgear
2007-05-30, 07:08 PM
Sekhmet has spent the past week or so in a fluster. Outdone in speed most likely only by Celerity, she has been zipping back and forth to get her things from home, to decorate her room, and to try and get comfortable in the Academy; all the while, she was also trying to keep up with the training schedule, meeting when ordered and working out in what little spare time she has. Now, a week after, while not physically exhausted, she is still somewhat mentally out of it. Wandering about the training room, she now finds herself nervous again. Dressed in a black shirt with a white eye painted on the front and a jacket that reads "Gold Digger" with an ankh around her neck, with simple jeans on to complete what could be called an "earthy" outfit.

"Sheesh, when're they gonna get here..."

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-05-30, 10:21 PM
Celerity wanders into the Academy's main room wearing a bath robe and brushing her long, blue-and-purple-streaked black hair with a brush of her own creation. Her body language, though it came across at a speed several hundred times faster than a regular human's, conveyed a sense of relaxation.

For Celerity, the last week had been a long time, but she had kept herself occupied. She mainly split her time between performing in the streets and parks, getting to know and train with her team-mates, and performing the occasional act of solo heroism (nothing too fancy, just getting people out of a burning building or to the hospital - everyday hazards of the city many heroes would forget about). She was starting to get settled for the first time since she'd gotten her powers - it was a big change.

Presently, though, little of this is evident as the super-heroine takes a seat and continues to super-speed-straighten her hair. "Heyy Sekhmet!" she beams at her team-mate. "How goes it?"

Suzaku
2007-05-31, 02:38 PM
After her talk with Techno-Paladin Star-Fist began to withdraw herself from other people. Aside from eating and scheduled training sessions Star-Fist claimed to spend her entire time mediating in a dark room with the doors locked. Star-Fist slowly walked out of her room wearing a black cloak that shaded her face and once again took up a chair away from everyone else not bothering to say good morning or any other greeting. “I just hope this day goes by fast I don’t have the energy today to do anything” thought Star-Fist with a body language telling everyone she didn’t feel like talking.

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-05-31, 02:53 PM
Powerhouse

Powerhouse seems to wander out into the mainroom where the others were, munching on what looked like a leftover piece of pizza. Over the past few days he had been trying to do drills and preparing himself for being the tentative leader of the merry band. However, this has caused him to sleep and eat much more than usual, and when he was sleepy or hungry t was quickly discovered that he was more than a little cranky

He continued to chew on the slice of pizza, wandering over towards the grouping of people and looking at the transmission as it repeated itself

"Great..." he muttered "I'll go get dressed" he said, before turning around. He wa wearing a set of plaid pajama bottoms and a white tee shirt, which looked completely out of character for him. He soon returned in his usual heroic attire, looking about, vaguely waiting for the new teacher to arrive as he continued to eat leftover pizza

Axelgear
2007-05-31, 04:04 PM
Sekhmet just rubs her forehead into her palms but smiles as she looks back up, it a cheerful look. Celerity had proven to be one of the few people with a personality as random and bubbly as her own, at least on a good day.

"Not too bad. Kinda tired though. Been fixing my room all week and my parents are so worried about me..." She pauses, then laughs softly and shakes her head "But yeah, just tired. Ping-pong?" She offers. She had managed to snake in the idea that the game was a great training exercise as it helped teach hand-eye coordination and built their reflexes, though few could compete with, let alone beat, Celerity.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-06-01, 11:01 AM
"Absolutely! Just gotta change and eat!"

It is sooner done than said, of course. In the space of a few seconds, Celerity runs up to her room, changes into her costume, pours herself some cereal, eats, cleans the bowl, and leaves a small smiley face button in front of Star-Fist (merely the latest volley in her campaign to cheer up the martial artist) . Then, with a wave of her hand, a ping-pong table, paddles and ball materialize.

"So what do you think this is about?" Celerity asks as she takes her place at one side of the table.

Axelgear
2007-06-01, 03:10 PM
Sekhmet just shrugs and picks up her paddle, swinging it in her paw momentarily.

"How should I know? I've been too busy this past week to care..."

And, with that comment, she moves across the table, picks up the ball, and serves.

sun_tzu
2007-06-05, 01:31 PM
((Feel free to interact some more - if possible, I'd like to wait until everybody's posted at least once before I introduce the day's teacher.))

Zarthrax
2007-06-09, 03:31 PM
FX staggers down the stairs. "If I ever find out who invented mornings, I am very tempted to introduce him to the event horizon of a black hole." *YAWN* "I'm making tea. If anyone else wants some............make your own." FX staggers off to the kitchen to do his personal impression of the Boston Tea Party.

sun_tzu
2007-06-12, 10:54 AM
((Not sure when Psynapse's player will be able to post again, but until he does, I'll be NPCing the character, I guess.))

A few more minutes pass, until...
"Attention!"
The shout, with a hint of an accent, certainly gets yours. The (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/57422261/) man (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/57422359/) who enters the academy, despite being dressed like a superhero, gives you a vibe closer to that of a drill sergeant. That sort of makes sense - he is, after all, Bleu-Blanc-Rouge. One of the greatest martial artists in the world, the Global Champions' tactical expert, Operation Synapse's head field officer, the French army's most well-known super-soldier...And, apparently, your teacher for today.

((And thus, the second Global Champion your characters meet. He won't show up as often as Techno-Paladin, but...))

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-06-12, 12:27 PM
Powerhouse

Powerhouse had only just moments before wandered back into the room and was zipping up his coat when the new teacher had come in

"Great" he said looking over towards FX "Just what we need, a military man" he said shaking his head, it became clear that Powerhouse was not going to be a big fan of Bleu-Blanc-Rogue, but then, as it became clear to his teammates, he didn't particularly like anyone who was new.

Powerhouse sauntered over sluggishly towards the Frenchman

"So you're the sub then?" he said, feeling taller now than he had before

sun_tzu
2007-06-12, 12:31 PM
Powerhouse

Powerhouse had only just moments before wandered back into the room and was zipping up his coat when the new teacher had come in

"Great" he said looking over towards FX "Just what we need, a military man" he said shaking his head, it became clear that Powerhouse was not going to be a big fan of Bleu-Blanc-Rogue, but then, as it became clear to his teammates, he didn't particularly like anyone who was new.

Powerhouse sauntered over sluggishly towards the Frenchman

"So you're the sub then?" he said, feeling taller now than he had before

"Positive. Techno-Paladin has informed that you were the group's temporary leader."

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-06-12, 12:43 PM
Powerhouse

"Yessir" said Powerhouse looking back towards the rest of the group

"My handle is Powerhouse, or just Tom if you prefer" he said looking back, motioning towards the rest in turn "That's FX, Skehmet, Celerity, Starfist and Psynapse" he said with a nod to each, before looking back towards BBR

"So what is on the course schedule today then?" he asked, arms beginning to fold in a defensive position

Zarthrax
2007-06-12, 01:05 PM
FX wanders back from the kitchen with a fully tricked out tea service. Contrary to the rules of etiquette, he then sets up a TV tray right in front of his seat and places it on that. He then proceeds to make people who take military basic training look like slow eaters. Somewhere out of the flying crumbs and flailing arms emerges a question. "So, what's on the agenda for today, Professeur Provisoire?" FX, it appears, has no problems speaking French while demolishing an English-style tea.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-06-12, 08:45 PM
((Speaking of Psynapse, I forgot to mention that in between Champion Tutorial and now, Celerity gave him a crystal that she suggested he use to focus his telepathy, an idea she got from a mentalist performer at her circus.
Oh, and she filled out the paper work or whatever to access her FBSA stipend, possibly with TP or FX's help, but doesn't have an idea about what she'll do with it XD ))

Celerity stands at attention when the French super-soldier enters the room. "Sir I'm the Amazing Celerity sir!" She attempts to stand at attention until he gives permission, a cascade of random objects appearing out of nowhere and then fading into nothing while she tries to stand still.

sun_tzu
2007-06-13, 01:44 AM
Speaking of Psynapse, I forgot to mention that in between Champion Tutorial and now, Celerity gave him a crystal that she suggested he use to focus his telepathy, an idea she got from a mentalist performer at her circus.
((Just for the record, that so wouldn't work. Crystals are just as much bunk in the setting as in the real world.))

Axelgear
2007-06-13, 06:32 AM
With a loud cracking sound, Celerity suddenly moving leaves an opening Sekhmet had not expected, the ping-pong ball flying across the room, but its low mass keeps it from doing any damage. Placing the paddle back with the table, Sekhmet wanders over to see the new teacher, giving a two fingered, half-hearted salute as she examines the man before them all.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-06-13, 07:17 AM
((Just for the record, that so wouldn't work. Crystals are just as much bunk in the setting as in the real world.))

((I figured, but in Psynapse's case at least it might provide a useful psychological focus.))

sun_tzu
2007-06-14, 07:21 AM
Bleu-Blanc-Rouge stands, holding his hands behind his back. "I've seen videos of your fights in the danger deck. The basics are there, but there remains plenty of room for improvement.
Techno-Paladin has already explained to you the rock-paper-scissors principle. The subject of today's lesson will be how to make the best of your ressources. We will begin with a quick discussion of the subject, follow with a special excercize in the danger deck, and conclude with a patrol of the city. I would have preffered to follow with a true combat operation such as your fight with the mafia last week, but it proved impossible to plan, given my schedule."

((If you're wondering about his schedule, well...He's working with the Global Champions to defend the entire world, he's field officer in Operation Synapse trying to contain the Combat Network, and he's part of the military. So, yeah, it took Techno-Paladin some work to get his help with this.
And in case you're wondering about the adventure...Let's just say that Bleu-Blanc-Rouge's lesson will only be the first part of this chapter:smallbiggrin: ))

Axelgear
2007-06-16, 01:07 PM
Sekhmet just tilts her head curiously and is about to give a smart-ass remark when she wisely shuts up. She eventually finally asks the question on her mind:

"How do you know we're actually gonna find anything on patrol?" She asks, waiting for that to be answered before asking anything else she has running through her mind.

sun_tzu
2007-06-16, 01:16 PM
"We don't. That's part of the definition of a patrol. Otherwise, it would be an interception mission. That said, odds of encountering criminal operation during a patrol of the city have been estimated to be as high as 40%, given that we will be reaching areas where the regular police is afraid to go. Odds of superhuman criminal activity, 6%."

Axelgear
2007-06-16, 05:55 PM
Sekhmet, realizing she is going to say another bad joke, bites her tongue to avoid saying something and then winces, her tongue now bleeding. Having fangs is still apparently taking some getting used to.

"Ah... Thankth... I nee' ta go ge' a tithoo."

And, with that said, she wanders off towards the bathroom to grab a tissue to put under her mouth, leaning forward at the moment and holding her chin up with her paw underneath it to catch the blood currently dripping down it. She returns swiftly holding the tissue under her mouth, casting a glance to the others.

"Firtht one to thay ca' go' your thung taketh a ki' oo tha gwoin." She warns.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-06-16, 06:07 PM
Celerity takes a seat, manifests her notepad and begins to jot down notes, heading the page "MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR RESOURCES with Bleu-Blanc-Rouge"


Sekhmet, realizing she is going to say another bad joke, bites her tongue to avoid saying something and then winces, her tongue now bleeding. Having fangs is still apparently taking some getting used to.

"Ah... Thankth... I nee' ta go ge' a tithoo."

And, with that said, she wanders off towards the bathroom to grab a tissue to put under her mouth, leaning forward at the moment and holding her chin up with her paw underneath it to catch the blood currently dripping down it. She returns swiftly holding the tissue under her mouth, casting a glance to the others.

"Firtht one to thay ca' go' your thung taketh a ki' oo tha gwoin." She warns.

Celerity winces.

Apropos of nothing, she causes a lollipop to appear inside the sleeve of Star-Fist's cloak.

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-06-16, 07:29 PM
Powerhouse

Powerhouse looks back towards both Celerity and Skehmet and shakes his head, covered his face with his hand as he does so before sighing

"And people wonder why I'm gruff" he said with himself looking over towards Skehment before sighing again, looking towards the substitute

"So we're to have a lecture, a recitation, and then a field-lab...I feel like
I'm back in college, let's here the grand speech then" he said wandering over to one of the desks to sit down

Zarthrax
2007-06-20, 03:24 PM
FX finishes polishing off the massive breakfast tray. He glances at Sekhmet,"Have to spoil all my fun, doncha?" He then settles in for what appears to be a very long lecture. Out comes the PDA as he checks this morning's financials. Hmmm. That film studio isn't doing so hot. Good. That means I can grab more of it at discount prices...

sun_tzu
2007-06-21, 11:53 AM
As Star-Fist quizzically checks her cloak, Bleu-Blanc-Rouge goes into lecture mode.
"Stronger than a locomotive. Faster than a speeding bullet. Skilled enough to fight entire squads. Telekinetic juggernaut. Armed with devices a decade ahead of their era. Wielding powers beyond the ken of mortals.
Your group certainly isn't lacking in abilities.
But it's not enough. More powerful heroes than you have fallen and keep falling every day to the forces of crime, terror, chaos and general villainy the world over. The life expectancy of a superhero is shorter than the population's average by over a decade. To survive, to win, it is not enough to have power. You will have to use your power, and everything else at your disposal, in the best possible way.
Celerity, I believe your own first-hand experience is relevant here. You were in Megalopolis during Shadow's attempted takeover about a month ago. You were working with the Zenith Watch during the crisis. Remember your fight against Jack of all Trades - a single villain, with no powers beyond enhanced agility and combat skills, managed to succesfully hold his own against six medium-level superheroes, and two street-levelers.

((He's referring to an incident that was all over the news about a month ago - Omnicorp, the colossally rich and powerful mega-corporations that had built Megalopolis, had captured 99% of the city's heroes and announced it was having Megalopolis secceed from the USA. It used a Cryosphere-style cold generator to turn the city into an arctic area, let all the villains in the city jail out, and had armed patrols going through the streets with help from the supervillains of Global Might. The Zenith Watch, some of the only superheroes who hadn't been captured, managed to get some help, free the mayor, and rescue Omnicorp's CEO, George Li - apparently, the whole seccession thing was the work of a doppelganger, working for the criminal organization "Shadow". Shadow were trying to make it look like Omnicorp had gone rogue, so that its board members would be arrested - except for the one providing the FBI with (forged) evidence, who would then take control of the company (and was - guess what - an agent of Shadow). The Zenith Watch and its allies then managed to find Shadow's local base and storm it in a particularly epic battle.
Jack of all Trades (whom I believe I've mentionned in the OOC thread) is a member of Global Might, a group comprised of ten members - all of them among the world's greatest villains. Jack's abilities come from a chip in his brain that gives him enhanced combat abilities, and allows him to copy other people's moves, à la Taskmaster.
Oh, and "street-leveler" is a term commonly used to refer to low-PL superheroes and villains.))

"Any of you, and for that matter all of you, are liable to one day encounter a situation where your powers won't be enough; situations where you'll be out-powered. Which is why you're going to need to make the best of what you have. That means using your powers efficiently. Using your skills efficiently. Using your data efficiently. Using your team efficiently. Last but not least - use the environment efficiently."

((Sorry for not responding in several days - I defended my master's thesis yesterday, so, as you can imagine, I've been rather busy.))

Axelgear
2007-06-21, 01:49 PM
Sekhmet sits and waits patiently through this lecture, eventually raising her hand, curious if she can ask a question.

Zarthrax
2007-06-21, 02:08 PM
"Stronger than a locomotive. Faster than a speeding bullet. Skilled enough to fight entire squads. Telekinetic juggernaut. Armed with devices a decade ahead of their era. Wielding powers beyond the ken of mortals.


FX snickers. "But enough about me, let's talk about someone else. Heh-heh."

sun_tzu
2007-06-21, 02:09 PM
Sekhmet sits and waits patiently through this lecture, eventually raising her hand, curious if she can ask a question.

"What is it?" the Global Champion pauses.

Axelgear
2007-06-21, 04:40 PM
"You mention strategy and teamwork but also independence in your example... Which is more important? Being able to fight by yourself, or fight alongside others? After all, the two are almost mutually exclusive. If I am trained to fight with others, I capitalize on using their strengths to cover my weaknesses, while fighting by oneself involves minimizing your weaknesses and setting the battle stage to your own advantage."

She points out simply.

sun_tzu
2007-06-21, 05:07 PM
"You mention strategy and teamwork but also independence in your example... Which is more important? Being able to fight by yourself, or fight alongside others? After all, the two are almost mutually exclusive. If I am trained to fight with others, I capitalize on using their strengths to cover my weaknesses, while fighting by oneself involves minimizing your weaknesses and setting the battle stage to your own advantage."

She points out simply.

"There is no contradiction. You have to use everything at your disposal to the best of its potential - be it your abilities, or your teammates'. Strategy - or rather, tactics in most relevant cases - apply both to teams and solo operations.
As for your question on which is more important: Being able to fight by yourself is the groundwork. You need to have that first - then, building on that, learn how to fight within a team. One is not more important than the other - rather, one is the 101 class, and the other is the advanced lesson (the analogy fails in that you'll be studying both simultaneously, but I hope you get the point)."

Axelgear
2007-06-22, 10:52 AM
Sekhmet just nods slowly and goes back to holding the cloth to her chin, amazed she could say that without sounding like she had some sort of syndrome or disorder.

Zarthrax
2007-06-29, 04:32 PM
FX nods at the wise words. "Sounds easier than it is, though. The first mugger I attempted to stop cleaned my clock but good. That's when I started thinking stratigically. If they're trying to rob a bank, you have to factor in benefits and drawbacks. The benefit is you can lock the thugs in the vault 'til the police show up. Drawback is the thugs generally have their choice of hostage. Learned that one the hard way. Luckily, the police were able to get ahold of a plasma cutter in time so I didn't suffocate." He stares into his tea for a few moments. "Anything else to add, BBR? Or are we ready to begin?"

sun_tzu
2007-06-30, 05:20 PM
"I was thinking of giving a few good examples of ressource use before putting you through the danger deck."
As he says that, holograms in the danger deck start playing a movie. The scene is within a city - some of you recognize certain details as Japanese. A gigantic woman - 70 feet tall? 80? - is standing on one end of the street. On the other end, a man in white lab coat stands, surrounded by several gigantic robots of varying shapes and forms.
"Tokyo, a few years ago. The final battle between Titan and Doc Prometheus's robots" explains Bleu-Blanc-Rouge. "As I'm sure you're aware, Titan has the ability to increase her size; she also has some level of regeneration and imperviousness. At this point, she'd been fighting Doc Prometheus's machines for months; this was their final showdown, and they knew it."
A few words are exchanged in Japanese between the heroine and mad scientist. Then, a volley of missiles are ejected from one of the robots. Titan, in response, runs toward the missiles, jumps in the air, then shrinks back to the size of a regular woman in mid-air; she's over sixty feet above the ground as the missiles fly around her, none of them capable of changing their path quickly enough to hit the now smaller target. Still in mid-air, she grows back to full size and claps her hands at full strength; the shockwave shatters nearby windows, and causes the missiles behind her to explode.
The battle then rages on. "Notice that she aimed for what she knew was a weak point" says Bleu-Blanc-Rouge as the heroine picks a lampost off the ground and throws it like a spear at one of the robots, neutralizing it. "Using shrinkage to dodge - a creative use of her powers" when she regains a normal size to avoid a blow meant for her gigantic body. At another point, while one robot charges at her, she extends one leg, wraps her foot against a lampost, then shrinks; this has the effect of pulling her toward the lampost, a good distance away from her previous position. "Notice how she gained extra momentum" says the teacher again when Titan, at human size, goes right in front of a huge robot, then grows to gigantic proportions while extending her fist upward, uppercutting the machine toward the end of her growth. Finally, while fighting one of the last remaining robots, she jumps, goes into normal size, and lands on the robot's back. She runs into position, then goes into huge size while simulatenously jumping upward, rotating upside-down in mid-air, then, still huge, falls on the robot's back while punching it at full force. Her fist goes clean through the robot. She then picks the machine up, and uses it as a weapon to hit the last few robots, until finally none are left moving.
"And that's a wrap for that fight. Doc Prometheus was arrested, Japan became a somewhat safer place, and Titan had to pull some strings to prevent the government from giving her a medal. But I hope you've been paying attention to how she won.
While none of those robots were as powerful as her, she was badly out-numbered; most people in her position would have died without taking out even a quarter of these machines. What allowed her to win here were partly her understanding of their weaknesses - the result of some experience and Techno-Paladin's technical expertise - and, more importantly, her clever use of her own powers. Shrinking to dodge, growing to charge, and several other tricks; most people capable of super-growth wouldn't think of that. That's a large part of what puts Titan a cut above the rest of them.
This is a good example for growth, but the principle applies to just about every power. A clever use of them can multiply their worth.
I have two more videos to show. Any questions on this one?"

((Trying to accelerate a bit.))

Zarthrax
2007-07-05, 03:42 PM
"None here, Teach." FX continues tapping on his PDA in a disaffected manner. One of the great things about a photographic memory is that noone ever has to repeat themselves to you...

sun_tzu
2007-07-05, 05:57 PM
"Very well. Two more videos, and you're getting the danger deck treatment."
A new holographic scene begins playing. This time, it takes place on the outskirts of a city; you recognize three of the Global Champions - the Avatar, Techno-Paladin and Mister Tomorrow. They appear to be fighting members of Global Might - the super-strong Mordor, the deadly Angelbane, a cloud of black gas with shiny red eyes you recognize as Toxin, and a blur you guess is Blitzkrieg, the speedster.
"This video demonstrates teamwork. Three heroes against four villains. Now, they knew the most immediate threat was Blitzkrieg, between his vast speed and supernaturally-empowered bullets." Even to Celerity, the Nazi villain is mind-bogglingly fast. "So they needed the advantage of high grounds." The Avatar seems to concentrate for an instant, and a huge white cylinder forms around the three heroes; a volley of bullets hits it. The Avatar and Techno-Paladin fly upward, while Mister Tomorrow jumps to the top. Once there, the Avatar creates several platforms in the air that Mister Tomorrow jumps on. "Two of the heroes could fly, and Tomorrow has super-leaping, but Blitzkrieg's super-speed only allows for horizontal movement. Not that it stopped his teammates." Mordor, Angelbane and Toxin all fly toward the heroes. Angelbane begins a game of cat-and-mouse with Mister Tomorrow, Mordor and Techno-Paladin are duking it out with super-strength, and the Avatar is using his powers to contain Toxin; in the meanwhile, Blitzkrieg is trying to shoot the heroes from the ground, but has understandable difficulties hitting moving targets at such a distance. "Now look closely. There were barely a few non-verbal cues, but the coordination is there." At a crucial moment, Techno-Paladin breaks away from Mordor; Mister Tomorrow then jumps at the battlesuited hero, and uses him as a basis for another jump that allows him to impale Mordor on his claws. Almost simultaneously, the Avatar stops fighting Toxin and sends a burst of energy that explodes in Angelbane's vicinity, knocking her off-balance, allowing Techno-Paladin to grab her...and throw her at full force toward Toxin. The monstrous villainess screams in agony at the effects of contact with Toxin; the latter, however, just presses on, trying to engulf the Avatar. The latter combines his energy blast with one from Techno-Paladin, knocking the gaseous villain away while Mister Tomorrow jumps away from the injured Mordor, who examines his wounds and seems to decide it's just not worth it to go on fighting and teleports away.

((Is anyone lost? All those characters are either Global Champions or members of Global Might, so they were described in the OOC thread, but I can give a refresher.))

"Finally, after efficient usage of powers and teammates, there's efficient usage of environment."
The third scene begins playing out. This time, it's taking place in what looks like a sinister medieval castle - you recognize the scenery as part of Avalon, the city of the evil sorcerer-king Nollius. One lone character - a humanoid you recognize as the Global Champion Mimic - is surrounded by over a dozen zombies.
"This one goes back to one of our fights with Nollius. Mimic had taken it upon himself to infiltrate a secure area of Avalon and sabotage an important ritual; he succeeded, but Nollius found him, and he only escaped by the skin of his teeth. Nollius had managed to cast a spell that temporarily canceled his super-powers - so, normally, he would have had no chance against even one of these aberrations. But Mimic and 'normally' don't mix. As you can see, by this point he'd acquired a sword from one of Avalon's troopers - not that swords are part of Mimic's usual modus operandi - but that alone wouldn't have been enough to tip the odds in his favor."
Mimic stand in place, waiting for the zombies to approach him. When one of them does and tries to hit him, the hero rolls away, then jumps on the zombie's back, stands on his shoulders, and jumps high enough to hit a chandelier with his sword, causing it to fall to the ground. "We've improved the lighting in this video, but in reality, after he destroyed the chandelier, it was too dark for either him or his foes to see. But he had more experience at blind-fighting than them, and he had memorized where everything in the room was."
As the zombies grasp around, trying to find Mimic, he moves around, relying on his hearing to avoid them, cutting of the left ankle of one of them and beheading another on his way. He then finds an empty barrel, goes to a flight of stairs, puts himself inside the barrel, and allows it to roll down the stairs. "He got some bruises from that stunt, but the barrel allowed him to get down quickly with no serious injury. A that point, he had reached the building's large balcony - and was ahead of his pursuers." The zombies are already running after Mimic, but he's already macgyvering something up; he takes a rug and repositions it in front of the stairs; now, he's taking several oil lamps that were used to lit the area, puts the oil in a nearby pot, then throws it - along with the one remaining lit oil lamp - at the oncoming zombies up the stairs. Then he throws his barrel at the nearest one. The zombies end up being stuck in the fire, unable to advance in the narrow flight of stairs as the one in the front tries to get over the barrel while at the same time avoiding Mimic's sword thrusts. Finally, only three lightly-charred zombies make it to the balcony. Mimic backs up...Then pulls on the rug the zombies are standing on. As they fall, he uses his sword to behead one of them while he's helpless on the ground. The other two get back up; Mimic grabs a chair with his left hand, to use as a shield, and backs against the edge of the balcony. The zombies charge...Then Mimic puts down the chair, stands on it and jumps above the zombies. They stop, and turn around just in time for him to behead one of them. The last one knocks his sword away and tries to grab him, but Mimic dodges. He then does a judo-throw on the zombie, then grabs him from behind in a double-nelson, before finally throwing him over the balcony.
"Not bad for someone who was operating without his regular powers, I think." says Bleu-Blanc-Rouge. "Questions?"

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-07-05, 06:15 PM
Celerity gapes for a full hundredth of a second, astonished by the displays of super heroism. She quickly recovers, though, and raises her hand.

"In that second video what were the cues the Champions used - how did they let each other know what they were doing?"

sun_tzu
2007-07-05, 06:26 PM
Celerity gapes for a full hundredth of a second, astonished by the displays of super heroism. She quickly recovers, though, and raises her hand.

"In that second video what were the cues the Champions used - how did they let each other know what they were doing?"

"Well, keep in mind they'd been working together - and training together - for years. They had a lot of experience synchronizing with each other. Early in the fight, Techno-Paladin did a hand gesture to the two others and said "need high grounds", which prompted the Avatar's actions. While they were going up the cylinder, they agreed on a strategy:"
You can see now the video again - with a zoom on the ascending heroes: "I could throw Angelbane into Toxin." "Opponent switch?" "Give me a step when I signal."
"See? All in a few seconds. During the fights, they were paying attention to what the others were doing. When Tomorrow saw he had an opening and Techno-Paladin was looking, he did this gesture with hand; Techno-Paladin then moved in such a way that Tomorrow could use him as a stepping-stone to reach Mordor, and the Avatar could see what they were doing and did his own part."

sun_tzu
2007-07-12, 05:22 PM
"All right, now everybody get into the Danger Deck" says Bleu-Blanc-Rouge, as he himself gets inside. "I've picked a historical scenario that fits today's lesson: The battle of Freak Fortress.
This happened in the early eighties, after it was discovered how Dr Trick had turned Riverfield, Ohio, into his laboratory-city, ruling the town with a sociopathic iron fist. When he ran away, some of the monsters he had created - the 'freaks' - escaped to one of the doctor's secret hideouts, a fortress in the woods not too far from Riverfield. It was then that Captain Crime - an insane but charismatic supervillain who fancied himself a criminal mastermind - tracked them down and managed to become their leader, hoping to salvage Dr Trick's technology from the 'Freak Fortress'. This made the group particularly dangerous, until the superhero group known as the Ohio Rangers found the lair and assaulted it. The outside layer of defense, however, had been designed by Trick, and proved too much for the Ohio Rangers, who were all captured and thrown into the fortress's dungeon. Once there, however, they managed to free themselves, then fought and defeated Captain Crime and his cronies, freeing the area from their terror.
In this exercise, we will be playing the role of the Ohio Rangers: We'll start from inside the dungeons of Freak Fortress, and will have to fight the villains - who have both the advantage of numbers and home ground. You will need tactics, team coordination and efficient usage of your environment to win this. I, myself, will make only limited contribution to the fight; I will offer no advice, nor will I fight at the best of my abilities; I will only do enough to pull my weight.
Any questions?"

Zarthrax
2007-07-12, 07:22 PM
FX stands and dusts the crumbs off his hands. "Ready when you are, Teach. Let's do it."

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-07-12, 08:23 PM
"Let's do this!" Celerity cheers as she zips into the Deck.

sun_tzu
2007-07-27, 12:25 PM
((All right, I believe this is time for a "state of the game" address.
While I should myself have done this a while ago, the fact remains that most players haven't responded in a while. Normally, when this kind of situation occurs, a game ends.
However, I'd like to keep this game alive. I have plans for it, and I believe several players would like their character's arc to proceed.
The question, then, is what we do. What does everyone have to say?))

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-07-28, 12:29 PM
((I miss the game, as you're a great GM and, except for the inconsistent posting, this is a great group. And Celerity was always fun to play :p So I'd like it to go on, if anyone else is still interested.))

Zarthrax
2007-07-28, 02:10 PM
((I'm still in as well. I've got too few games as it is without yet another one dying...))

Axelgear
2007-08-03, 08:29 AM
(I'm still here. I just got back from vacation)

sun_tzu
2007-08-03, 01:18 PM
((I've sent messages to the remaining three players. My apologies to everyone for these delays.))

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-08-03, 02:38 PM
((I'm still interested, sorry been a bit off the radar lately, new job, etc...And the fact that most of my games have died anyhow, I assumed this did as well...Anyhow, I'm still willing if you folks are))

sun_tzu
2007-08-11, 07:09 PM
((Well, four out of six isn't too bad.
Neither Ignus Pyre nor Suzaku have answered, so I guess our best option for now is to continue without them, and consider that Star-Fist and Psynapse were busy somewhere else with something. Does that work with everyone?))

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-08-12, 03:38 PM
((Well, four out of six isn't too bad.
Neither Ignus Pyre nor Suzaku have answered, so I guess our best option for now is to continue without them, and consider that Star-Fist and Psynapse were busy somewhere else with something. Does that work with everyone?))

((Sounds good to me))

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-08-12, 10:03 PM
((fine by me))

Zarthrax
2007-08-14, 04:41 PM
((Me as well.))

Axelgear
2007-08-15, 11:26 AM
(I'm good with that. Onwards, to glory!)

sun_tzu
2007-08-16, 04:30 AM
((Onward, then!))

The Danger Deck create a simulation of Freak Fortress around you. More specifically, you find yourself, together with Bleu-Blanc-Rouge, inside the fortress's dungeon. Despite being modern and high-tech (by the standards of the 80s when it was built, at least), the place has a gloomy, oppressive atmosphere. The walls (and floor and ceiling) seem to be made of some metallic alloy; the door, of another one.
"This is supposed to be right after we've freed ourselves from our restraints" explains your teacher, "but we're still within this cell. There are sensors in the walls and door, so it's a matter of minutes at most before our relative freedom is discovered, and the door is programmed to open only if it recognizes Dr Trick or one of his minions - which it believes any of the Freaks to be.
Now...What do we do?"

Axelgear
2007-08-16, 05:01 PM
A pause crosses through Sekhmet as she ponders this, eyes drifting down in thought as she mulls over a possible solution. Finally, one comes to her, making her gasp quietly in silent eureka, but also causes her to inhale some of the blood leaking from her tongue, and she coughs a few times to clear her throat, causing more red to run down her chin. Still, she soon gets this under control and begins to voice her idea.

"Uh... I think the anthwer dependth. If we're looking at eathily dithpat-thed minionth, we could wait until they arrithe and uthe them to ethcape. If the doctor himthelf ith coming, we thould try and break out thoon and fight thith on ground of our own choothing." She suggests, sighing as she finishes the sentence and lets the tip of her flat tongue poke from her mouth, so that she can put pressure on where her teeth have sunk through it.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-08-16, 05:38 PM
Celerity uses her penetrating eyes to scope out the area around the cells, see how far away the bad guys are, and also see if there are any particularly rippable circuits or anything else it looks like she can take advantage of embedded in the cell walls.

"Hey FX how about I try dressing you up as Doctor Trick?" she says with a grin, conjuring a costume and some supplies she recalls the clowns from her circus using on occasion.

She also creates a mirror facing the door, and a can of compressed air, and starts spraying the air at some of the sensors, hoping to fog them up or something, or at least pass the time it takes for everyone to talk.

sun_tzu
2007-08-16, 07:23 PM
"Pay better attention" says Bleu-Blanc-Rouge. "Doctor Trick is not part of this scenario. He built this lair, and created the Freaks - each of whom is meta-human - but he has disappeared to unknown locations. The one in charge here is Captain Crime."
Celerity's penetrating vision allows her to see the locations of the sensors...But it only goes through a few millimeters of walls. Whatever Trick built this with, it blocks even her vision (and the Danger Deck can apparently replicate the effect).

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-08-16, 08:44 PM
Celerity felt a tad claustrophobic at not being able to see out of the cell. She began to speak again, covering the walls in paint as she did so.

"Well true but if the door's still responding to him then appearing like him might work - unless" Celerity creates as close a copy of the sensors as she can manage, paying close attention to their inner workings, then hands it to FX - "you don't think something like this would be fooled by that. That's what they look like - oh have I mentioned I can see through walls - well I -usually- can anyway, these ones block me but I can still see these sensors - anyway does taking a look at this copy give you any ideas Mr Wizard?"

sun_tzu
2007-08-17, 04:18 AM
FX:
From the looks of it, the sensors were designed by Trick. They're far too advanced otherwise for something that was made nearly three decades ago. This design is clever, tortuous, ingenious; it indicates both creativity and audacity. In other words, it has Dr Trick's fingerprints all over it.
And you're fairly confident your datalink can hack it in a minute or two. Probably the door, too.

Axelgear
2007-08-18, 08:40 AM
Sekhmet just pauses as she sees for the briefest of brief moments, though for Celerity it was probably an eternity, her companion stare at the wall. As Sekhmet ponders, she looks to Celerity and asks "Hey, Thelerity, why're you thtaring at the wall? Or were..." She mutters at the end, finding it a silly question but one worth asking.

Zarthrax
2007-08-20, 02:28 PM
FX ponders the situation for a moment before going into his rather clunky utility belt to pull out what looks like a cell phone headset that got into a fatal argument with a Virtual Boy. He waves his hands around for a moment or two...

Security Cracking Roll (1d20+28=44) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1216293)

sun_tzu
2007-08-20, 02:43 PM
It takes about a minute, but FX manages to hack the old system. Using the gadgets and programs at his disposal, he now controls the scanners in the room as well as the door.

((For the record, though, I prefer handling rolls myself))

Zarthrax
2007-08-20, 05:23 PM
FX cracks a grin while waving his hands some more. He makes the scanners read that the group has stopped moving and just slumped against the wall, seemingly in despair. The door unlocks, seemingly by itself. With that loud click, FX tucks the headset back in his belt. "Let's go. In about a minute, it's going to relock with no record of unlocking or opening. Damn, I'm good."

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-08-20, 05:42 PM
((Hey sun_tzu, did you get my PM? or is your inbox full?


Sekhmet just pauses as she sees for the briefest of brief moments, though for Celerity it was probably an eternity, her companion stare at the wall. As Sekhmet ponders, she looks to Celerity and asks "Hey, Thelerity, why're you thtaring at the wall? Or were..." She mutters at the end, finding it a silly question but one worth asking.

"Well like I said I can see through walls well usually I can right now though these walls are as opaque as any"

Watching FX work, Celerity starts goofing around for a bit. There's not much room to play in the cell, so she refrains from bouncing around too much, but eventually settles on making some decoys of the team to stand around the cell. Not that it'll likely fool them for long, but hey.

When FX succeeds, Celerity lets out a whoop and says "Good job! That cell was getting old," and starts scanning the place with her penetrating eyes. If it turns out she can see through the rest of the complex better than the cell, she'll start going ahead, making sure to avoid getting close to the oncoming Freaks (as a breeze would probably give the team's escape away).

Axelgear
2007-08-20, 08:36 PM
Sekhmet looks to Celerity curiously, more focused on the looking-through-walls thing than anything else. She places a hand... Paw... Manipulative appendage on Celerity's shoulder to stop her from dashing off right away. She's curious about this sight-beyond-sight that Celerity possesses and needs to ask.

"Thelewity," She begins, "How do you do it? I mean, how do you look thwough wallth?" She tilts her head, crossing her arms.

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-08-22, 10:42 AM
Powerhouse

Powerhouse nods towards FX and follows in after them, not speaking but trying to look around, inspecting the next obstacle

((sorry, didn't really seem like he had much to add))

sun_tzu
2007-08-22, 12:00 PM
"Good job" says Bleu-Blanc-Rouge. "one less hurdle to worry about. What's the plan now?" he turns toward Powerhouse.

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-08-22, 12:25 PM
Powerhouse

"Well we move now, and get to the main area where Captain Crime is...We gotta be fast and hit hard, otherwise the sensors will let them know we're out...Celerity might be fast enough for the sensors to not even register her movements, or FX could block them...Either way works, but the bottom line we need to get out of the cell first now while it's still open" he said making his way out and examining his surroundings

It's hard to make a plan without knowing the exact details...I make plans when the battle is actually there, not before hand, too many variables to consider...

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-08-22, 01:19 PM
Sekhmet looks to Celerity curiously, more focused on the looking-through-walls thing than anything else. She places a hand... Paw... Manipulative appendage on Celerity's shoulder to stop her from dashing off right away. She's curious about this sight-beyond-sight that Celerity possesses and needs to ask.

"Thelewity," She begins, "How do you do it? I mean, how do you look thwough wallth?" She tilts her head, crossing her arms.

There's a split-second pause as Celerity thinks about this for a little bit, before earnestly answering "With my eyes? I really don't know"

Turning to PH she says "Want me to go scout boss? Although does anyone know if any of the Freaks are speedsters, or anything about their abilities? I can just take my chances either way but..."

((Let's grab some appropriate Knowledge checks.))

sun_tzu
2007-08-22, 03:20 PM
This isn't exactly the most common bit of lore around...However, some of you recall some details.
Star Fist ((If Suzaku's rejoining, since he's recently sent me a PM)): You remember watching a documentary on the History channel about Dr Trick. The Freaks he created toward the end were pretty varied both in powers and appearance.

FX: You've read some online compilations about genetically-engineered monsters. Dr Trick's Freaks were among the first. While you're not sure which ones can be expected on this exercise, it seems likely that super-strength, super-speed and claws will be somewhere on the menu.

Sekhmet: There are some books and files at the Academy that Techno-Paladin left for you guys to browse in your free time. Just a few days ago you read an account of the Battle of Freak Fortress by one of the now-retired Ohio Rangers ((in other words, natural 20 on knowledge check:smallbiggrin: )). You're pretty positive one of the Freaks had super-speed. You also recall Captain Crime could control fire...and if the name wasn't a giveaway, he was not a very sane individual.

Zarthrax
2007-08-23, 08:09 PM
FX pipes up. "I recall reading something about 'em. I remember two brawlers and a speedster. The two brawlers come in superstrong and slasher flick flavors."

Axelgear
2007-08-23, 11:49 PM
Sekhmet pauses at this and stays at the back of the group. She stares intently at the wall, soon beginning to hover just off the ground until her focus begins to manifest as the air around her rapidly heating up. Her eyes close slowly, and when they open, they are illuminated by a bright blue glow and she glares about "I'm doing it! I'm looking thwough wallth!" She cheers, seeing through at least the paint coating... And through the clothes of her team-mates... Sekhmet promptly blushes deeply and closes her eyes and covers them with her hands. "Ok, not doing that again... I theem to recall thomthing I read on thith. There'th at leatht one Freak with thuper-thpeed. And Captain Cwime hath fire manipulathion abilitieth... I think..." She says, hoping she recalled right. She then gently floats down to the ground and opens her eyes again, the glow gone.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-08-23, 11:58 PM
Celerity bounces and cheers. "
AWESOME We can look through things together! Hmm If they've got a speedster too I should hang back although if these Freaks are as crazy as you'd think from the name I'm surprised he's not here already before the rest of his team Either way we should get moving before they get here If we do this right we can avoid them completely!"

Celerity tries to see if she can see where the bad guys are at right now before they reach the cell (and, if possible, find an exit).

sun_tzu
2007-08-24, 04:42 AM
As with the dungeon, the walls are made with a material that doesn't allow you to see past the first few millimeters.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-08-24, 01:46 PM
As with the dungeon, the walls are made with a material that doesn't allow you to see past the first few millimeters.

"Hmm I can't see through these wallsMaybe your Goddess-Vision can! But either way I had an idea If that speedster is too fast for you to blast SekhmetI can do a few flips that'll be sure to put him right in your sights for just long enough for you to fry him without having to tire yourself out with the explosive fireball trick again It'll be like ping pong but with a burning bad guy instead of a broken ball!"

Axelgear
2007-08-24, 02:14 PM
Sekhmet nods, liking Celerity's upbeat attitude. She too tries to look through the walls, though makes very certain she only looks in the direction of the walls and nowhere else. Sekhmet's sight-beyond-sight is from a different source, so it might just do something Celerity's doesn't, right? She crosses her arms and focuses, eyes glowing again.

"I like that idea, Thelewity. I'll give a thwy." She agrees and nods. but doesn't dare turn her head to look at Celerity. Once she gets the result of whether she can look through walls or not, she simply stops looking and turns to give her friend a kind smile. Though a small part of her can't remember the old adage No plan survives first engagement with the enemy

Suzaku
2007-08-25, 12:24 PM
Star-fist looked around the cell not sure what to do. “Well push comes to shove I can attempt to teleport through the wall and attempt to hide from scanners. However I can offer no guarantees, besides common sense tells me it seems to block super powers.” Said Star-Fist as study the walls that Celerity attempted to look through.

Zarthrax
2007-08-28, 09:23 PM
FX dons the goggles again. Gotta do everything myself. Let's crack those wall sensors and make the enemy blind to our presence...




OOC: Since you like rolling, oh mighty DM, feel free!

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-08-28, 09:40 PM
Watching FX don the goggles, Celerity asks:

"Hey FX think you can find out where they are right now so we can avoid them?"

sun_tzu
2007-08-29, 07:22 AM
FX dons the goggles again. Gotta do everything myself. Let's crack those wall sensors and make the enemy blind to our presence...




OOC: Since you like rolling, oh mighty DM, feel free!

You can hack the sensors on the nearby wall...But you can't hack the entire base at once. The control system seems decentralized, without a main computer you could run everything through. Each zone of the fortress would require a minute or two to hack individually - the whole thing could take hours.


Star-fist looked around the cell not sure what to do. “Well push comes to shove I can attempt to teleport through the wall and attempt to hide from scanners. However I can offer no guarantees, besides common sense tells me it seems to block super powers.” Said Star-Fist as study the walls that Celerity attempted to look through.
((Wait, so are you trying to teleport?))

Suzaku
2007-08-29, 12:05 PM
((Nope asking the group if I should))

Zarthrax
2007-08-29, 04:57 PM
FX frowns as he removes the goggles. "Unfortunately, no. He's set up his sensor system in a decentralized manner. Meaning it would take hours for me to track it back to the main computer. We're probably better off just running ahead and pounding stuff."

sun_tzu
2007-09-09, 12:45 PM
((So...what do you all DO?))

Axelgear
2007-09-10, 08:31 PM
((Sekhmet's been staring at a wall for a while now...))

Suzaku
2007-09-14, 09:28 PM
((Waiting for someone to provide suggestion ^^'))

Axelgear
2007-09-16, 10:29 PM
((I want to know if Sekhmet can see through walls before she says anything))

sun_tzu
2007-09-17, 04:58 AM
((I want to know if Sekhmet can see through walls before she says anything))

((Same as Celerity - only the first few millimeters. The walls seem capable of blocking the sight.))

Axelgear
2007-09-18, 03:58 AM
Sekhmet pauses a moment and shakes her head, glowing eyes fading and she grasps her head, shuddering. X-Ray Vision made her head feel all oogy...

"I've got nothing." She shrugs "How do you teleport? I mean, if you move through the intervening matter, won't you hit the energy field go splat?" She asks cautiously and then thinks a moment. Before a response can be given, Sekhmet pivots and swings her full and fearsome 120 pounds of body weight into a blow against the wall. Impulsive thought leads to action, and she tries to punch a hole in the wall.

sun_tzu
2007-09-18, 04:03 AM
Sekhmet pauses a moment and shakes her head, glowing eyes fading and she grasps her head, shuddering. X-Ray Vision made her head feel all oogy...

"I've got nothing." She shrugs "How do you teleport? I mean, if you move through the intervening matter, won't you hit the energy field go splat?" She asks cautiously and then thinks a moment. Before a response can be given, Sekhmet pivots and swings her full and fearsome 120 pounds of body weight into a blow against the wall. Impulsive thought leads to action, and she tries to punch a hole in the wall.

There is a loud bang, followed by a lot of pain in Sekhmet's knuckles. The wall isn't even dented.

Zarthrax
2007-09-18, 11:46 AM
FX snickers. "Maybe not the best plan. I vote for heading forward and thrashing anyone who shows their face. Anyone else agree?"

Axelgear
2007-09-19, 09:36 PM
Sekhmet just winces at this and clutches her paw, hopping from foot to foot as if this will, in some mystical way, cause the pain in her hand to subside.

"Oooow! Why didn't you suggest that before!? I didn't think that was an option, I thought we had to figure some alternate way out..." She mutters, feeling a little stupid, holding her, though probably couldn't see so, reddening hand.

sun_tzu
2007-10-07, 03:55 PM
((Folks, are you still checking the thread?))

Zarthrax
2007-10-10, 06:50 PM
((I have been, but there's really been nothing to respond to.))

sun_tzu
2007-10-11, 05:58 AM
((I've been wondering how to jumpstart this campaign.
One of the things I've wondered is whether I should abandon the 'teaching' part, keeping it mostly off-camera, and focus on plot progression (I mean, we've barely started the plot). Opinions?))

Axelgear
2007-10-11, 06:29 AM
((Personally, I think that would help a bit. I'd like to see the characters actually do something. The VR thing is sort of confusing))

sun_tzu
2007-10-25, 01:40 AM
((All right, folks, here's the deal:
We're going to go onward with this, and skip the training completely. I'll post a summary of events, we'll jump into the part after Bleu-Blanc-Rouge leaves. Now I just need to know who among you is still with us.))

Axelgear
2007-10-25, 08:57 AM
((Well... There's me... Anyone else?))

Zarthrax
2007-10-25, 12:38 PM
((Me as well.))

sun_tzu
2007-10-29, 12:16 PM
((Suzaku is apparently out of PbP games, Dawnstrider_Moogle has a number of difficulties (up to and including a ruined laptop) and out for te foreseeable future, Mick_the_Rogue...hasn't answered my PM yet, so I just sent him a new one. Another player is ready to enter the game. I'm giving Mick another day or two to reply, then we'll move on with this thing.))

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-10-29, 03:24 PM
((I'm here, sorry haven't really been on the Giant forums lately, since all my other games have either moved or died off, I kinda figured this one did the latter...At any rate I'm willing to try my hand at this again and will try to post as often as my colligiate schedule allows...go super heros))

sun_tzu
2007-10-29, 04:59 PM
((hooray! And now, fast-forward.))

After a harrowing exercise in the Danger Deck, Bleu-Blanc-Rouge takes you on a fast-paced patrol through the city. The patrol is mercifully uneventful, allowing you to relax a bit after the simulated Freak Fortress - until your teacher gets a call on his cell phone.
"Bad news. Apparently, a possible cell of the Combat Network has been located in Pennsylvania. My presence there is required by Task Force Synapse ((if these names don't ring a bell, just check the OOC thread)). Celerity, you are under no obligation, but the assistance of a speedster could be rather useful there. The rest of you, continue with your patrol. My apologies for the sudden interruption, but international security comes first."
And so it is that, a few minutes later, the three of you ((Powerhouse, Sekhmet and FX)) are patrolling the street when you hear a scream. Turning around, you see a window washer on the other side of the street who is apparently having a little job accident - more specifically, he's falling from a height of six stories.

Axelgear
2007-10-30, 05:28 PM
Until this point, this had been an interesting patrol. The young woman flies gleefully through the air, enjoying the freedom of moving like this in the open city. Until now, Sekhmet had only ever flown indoors or just barely above the ground, and, despite a few shaky moments when she first took off, she quickly gains the hang of it, and even laughs as she glides about as easily as a paper bag caught in an updraft. For flying, Sekhmet also makes sure to put her pants back on, not willing to do so in just her skirt. Her jacket soon follows thanks to the bitter evening weather.

Sekhmet doesn't even have to think. Before people can even look and scream, the small goddess is in the air, dashing at top speed towards the falling man and attempts to scoop him out of the air, catching him in her arms. "Gotcha!" She cries and smiles broadly before descending swiftly to the ground with all due haste. Once she touches down, her claws clatter on the ground, and she lets the man down. "There you are. You should be more careful." She smiled, not really sure how to react. She wasn't entirely sure what to do when one just saved a life. It was almost awkward, standing there, unsure, as she stood and smiled at the man.

This post assumes she saves him, unless you have plans otherwise.

Green Bean
2007-10-30, 06:05 PM
Leshi was walking home when she heard the cry from above.

Looks like today is not this guy’s lucky day.

Immediately, her body elongated, shooting up until she met the falling man twenty feet from the ground. As she made contact, her legs rose up off the ground to meet her body, and she wrapped herself around the unfortunate window washer, spreading her mass outward from him to act as a cushion. The fall wouldn’t be a problem for her; the important thing was the she take the brunt of it.

((Hey guys, I'm the new player sun_tzu been mentioning. I'm looking forward to some good 'ol fashioned hero-y goodness. Anyways, since we both seem to be acting independently, I figure I'll just post what I would do, and sun'll figure out how it goes down.))

sun_tzu
2007-10-31, 02:59 AM
This post assumes she saves him, unless you have plans otherwise.
((The plan is that you and Leshi end up acting simultaneously:smallbiggrin: ))

Leshi, being closest to the accident, reaches the man first with her elongated body. This slightly changes his trajectory, requiring Sekhmet to make a last-second change in trajectory to catch both of them.

Axelgear
2007-10-31, 06:08 AM
Sekhmet is a bit confused by the result of her actions, ending up descending carrying what amounts to a very confused window-washer and a human balloon. Descending slowly, she places them both down, and scratches her head a moment. She can't even tell what the thing she just saved is, thanks to Leshi wrapping her form around the man. "Um... Hello?" She states timidly.

Green Bean
2007-10-31, 08:15 AM
"Uh, hi."

Leshii's voice is a little muffled by her balloon like form. She quickly shifts back into the closest thing she has to a standard form, a slim, dark haired woman.

"Thanks for the assist. I wasn't sure if I could muffle the impact enough."

Leshii sticks out her hand. "I'm Leshii."

sun_tzu
2007-10-31, 08:19 AM
"Th-thanks..." says the window washer, obviously a bit shaken.

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-10-31, 08:31 AM
Powerhouse nodded towards Skehmet as she went to help, he could've but he was nowhere near fast enough for that, and the possibility for collateral damage was rather high for it.

He followed after Skehmet watching as the 'stretcher' tried to help

I hate these guys, I gotta be creative when I'm dealing with them... he thought making his way towards them. He was dressed in a black leather jacket with a dark helmet that one couldn't see through. His pants were simple jeans that looked to have some holes in them. If he was a super hero, he was definitely an odd one

He looked briefly down towards the window clerk and nodded when he said he was alright, looking up towards the 'stretcher'

"Good job Skehmet...and...you..." he said pausing "Forgive me for being rude, but who the hell are you and why're you here?"

Green Bean
2007-10-31, 08:41 AM
"My name's Leshii, and I was here because it's on my way home. And who're you, exactly?"

Axelgear
2007-10-31, 10:07 AM
Sekhmet's attention leaves the window washer, though she does nod at him to make sure he knows he's acknowledged. After a moment, she takes the offered hand and shakes it gently, still staring at Leshi with confusion. She barely even notices that Powerhouse arrives after her. "You're... Welcome..." She stammers out eventually, long after the appropriate moment to state it has passed.When it comes times for introductions, Sekhmet obligingly lets Powerhouse go first.

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-10-31, 11:48 AM
"For lack of a better name, they call me Powerhouse" he said looking towards Skehmet and the others to do their introductions

"We're on patrol of the city while the big boys go and play"

Green Bean
2007-10-31, 01:51 PM
"Nice to meet you, Powerhouse."

Leshii notices Powerhouse's companion giving her an odd look. After surreptitiously checking to make sure she morphed the correct number of arms and legs, she realizes that her transformation from a human into a fleshy mattress and back again might have been a bit disconcerting.

"It's all right. I'm a shapeshifter."

As a demonstration, she metamorphoses into Powerhouse, worn jeans and all. She grins.

"Perfectly natural, see?"

Axelgear
2007-10-31, 05:01 PM
Sekhmet was about to introduce herself when Leshii morphs and she jumps noticeably at this, moving into an undeniably cat-like stance with her hands pulled up and one leg raised, a naturally defensive stance. When she calms herself, which is quite quickly after this, she shakes her head slowly and moves a strand of misplaced hair out of her face. "Sorry, shapeshifters give me the willies. The idea that anyone can be anyone else really takes away any element of trust." She shakes her head again, more gently now "But you seem nice enough. My name's Sekhmet, and it's a pleasure to meet you. Well, no, that's not true. Sekhmet then catches herself and her eyes go wide as she stammers to correct herself. "Uh, the name bit that is! Not... The... Pleasure to meet you bit. I have another name but I sort of abandoned it when I became... This." She says simply and directs her hands from her furry and snouted head, headdress and all, down towards her bare, padded feet. Her tail dances as well, as if trying to catch attention as well.

Green Bean
2007-10-31, 05:19 PM
Leshii reverts back to her normal self.

"It's understandable. Shapeshifting isn't the most...trustworthy power in the world, but I'll try my best not to give you the willies. Pleased to meet you, Sekhmet. Hmm. Actually, the name sounds familiar. Are you Egyptian?"

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-10-31, 08:30 PM
Powerhouse gives a slight grunt when the woman transforms into him an shakes his head, his expression hidden inside his helmet

"How nice..." he said his voice dripping with sarcasm at the transformation, looking towards Skehmet and FX

"We should get going back on patrol again...as exciting as that is"

Axelgear
2007-11-01, 05:29 AM
Sekhmet, however, is focused on the conversation and doesn't really hear Powerhouse's order. That, or she didn't want to. "It's an Egyptian name. I'm not. I thought I used to be, but... Things have gotten more complicated lately as to my origin. I'm part British, part..." And she points her hand upwards "Up there, somewhere. I don't know where exactly." She shrugs, smiling proudly as she states her origin.

Green Bean
2007-11-01, 05:40 AM
"I see."

Leshii grins, somewhat confused by the origin of the (apparent) Egyptian/Alien Brit. She looks over at Powerhouse for a moment.

"Anyway, it sounds like you better get back to patrolling. I've got to head home, but I'm doing the hero thing full-time now, so maybe we'll run into each other again."

sun_tzu
2007-11-01, 05:51 AM
"Now now, don't leave so fast" says a man as he steps out of the crowd. He's wearing rather casual clothes, but his right arm is in a sling. A mechanical sphere about six inches wide is floating in the air right next to his head, moving around and zig-zagging to follow. He seems kinda familiar. FX, having photographic memory, actually recognizes him.
"Anyway, since we're doing introductions, I'm Improv. Pleased ta meetcha."

((Improv is one of the members of the Liberty League - the premier superhero group in New York. Not even remotely as big a name as the Global Champions, but still relatively big. Improv is supposed to be their gadget guy.
As mentioned in the previous chapter, the Liberty League recently suffered a defeat at the hands of the New Predators, led by the powered-up Brick. Hence Improv's broken arm.))

Green Bean
2007-11-01, 06:00 AM
"Leshii. It's a pleasure. Have we met? You look familiar."

sun_tzu
2007-11-01, 06:14 AM
"Leshii. It's a pleasure. Have we met? You look familiar."

"Been on the news a few times. I'm with the Liberty League."

((The name Improv has enough notoriety in NYC that most of you would probably realize who he is after hearing it.))

Green Bean
2007-11-01, 06:32 AM
The name and image finally click in her mind.

"Oh yeah! You're that Improv. Sorry about that; I just moved here, so I'm still learning the famous faces."

sun_tzu
2007-11-01, 06:45 AM
The name and image finally click in her mind.

"Oh yeah! You're that Improv. Sorry about that; I just moved here, so I'm still learning the famous faces."

Improv chuckles. "Well, my teammates include Vigilance, Dr Hex, Banner and Komodo, so I'm not really the one who gets the most attention, usually."

((There was a brief description of the Liberty League in the fourth page of the OOC thread. Vigilance and Komodo had a brief appearance toward the end of chapter 1. I'm writing too many footnotes.))

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-01, 07:17 AM
Powerhouse watches the sphere that zigzags around Improv's head with a certain amout of annoyance watching it go back and forth for a moment. He then turns back towards Improv

"We saw Komodo and Vigilence a few days ago...so what can we do for you then that doesn't involve us continuing on patrol?"

sun_tzu
2007-11-01, 07:33 AM
Powerhouse watches the sphere that zigzags around Improv's head with a certain amout of annoyance watching it go back and forth for a moment. He then turns back towards Improv

"We saw Komodo and Vigilence a few days ago...so what can we do for you then that doesn't involve us continuing on patrol?"

"I'm glad you asked.
Remember Brick? Super-strong mutant? Member of the New Predators? Dead as a doornail?
Well, I've known Brick for years, and he's always been a dangerous guy. But when the League and the Predators last fought, he was...Different. Suddenly, on top of the ludicrous strength, he could fly, had force-fields that even Vigilance couldn't punch through, energy blasts...It was like fighting the Avatar.
And then, right after becoming the single most powerful supervillain in town, he commits suicide.
I want to figure out what the heck happened. And I was hoping you could help me."

Green Bean
2007-11-01, 08:00 AM
((Would Brick's death and the cause have been reported, or is it a secret?))

sun_tzu
2007-11-01, 08:11 AM
((Would Brick's death and the cause have been reported, or is it a secret?))

((It made the news last week - he charged into a mall, found a can of pesticide, and drank it. That's all you've heard.))

Green Bean
2007-11-01, 08:31 AM
...It was like fighting the Avatar.


((Foreshadowing, perhaps? :smallbiggrin: ))

"It does seem a little weird, doesn't it. I'd be happy to help in any way I can. But why me, exactly?"

sun_tzu
2007-11-01, 08:43 AM
((Foreshadowing, perhaps? :smallbiggrin: ))

"It does seem a little weird, doesn't it. I'd be happy to help in any way I can. But why me, exactly?"

"Well, they because they were there when Brick died, and I was hoping they could tell me more." Improv gestures at Sekhmet, Powerhouse and FX. "You because you're here now, and you can never have too many people on a mission like this. My arm is broken, most of my teammates are at the hospital, and those that aren't are unavailable - so, I'll take all the help I can get."

Green Bean
2007-11-01, 08:50 AM
Leshii shrugs.

'That works for me. Of course, it's really up to Sekhmet, Powerhouse, and their friend here. They should have a say in who they work with."

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-01, 09:32 AM
"Brick came into a hardware store and ended up gulpin' down pesticides like it was water..." he said pausing "Talked about 'screw these powers' that it wasn't worth it...mentioned a named...Kotos" he said looking towards Improv with a shrug "Not exactly the sort of death I imagined he'd have"

sun_tzu
2007-11-01, 10:08 AM
"Brick came into a hardware store and ended up gulpin' down pesticides like it was water..." he said pausing "Talked about 'screw these powers' that it wasn't worth it...mentioned a named...Kotos" he said looking towards Improv with a shrug "Not exactly the sort of death I imagined he'd have"

"You can say that again. I have trouble thinking of anything that could drive Brick of all people to kill himself.
Kotos...Doesn't ring a bell. What did he say about him?"

Axelgear
2007-11-01, 02:57 PM
Sekhmet, who was mumbling to herself a few things about whether or not this was what a normal patrol would be like. When she does speak up, it's to toss in another interesting feature of what Brick said moments before he crossed over.

"Didn't say anything, really," She begins, rubbing the back of her head and thinking "'Cept that when he got here that we'd be doomed, or something like that, and that I was one of them, whatever 'they' are." She explains, shrugging.

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-01, 03:10 PM
Powerhouse shrugged "Probably some big bad extraterrestrial with a god complex..." he said folding his arms defensively, "Something more for the big boys to investigate than for us" he said looking over towards FX and Skehmet "Someone's gotta do it, since they're off trying to save the whole world, we may as well just try to save part of it"

Zarthrax
2007-11-01, 06:32 PM
FX remains quiet throughout all of this. However, Powerhouse's last statement seems to jolt him out of his shell. "Speak for yourself, big guy. I, for one, have a Lancelot complex."

sun_tzu
2007-11-02, 06:49 AM
"You know, maybe this is out of our league" says Improv. "Brick's power levels back there were phenomenal, and if he was so scared of that Kotos or whatever that he killed himself, then what we're dealing with might be something only the Global Champions can deal with.
But you know what? If I was smart enough to stay away from danger, I wouldn't be a superhero in the first place. And I say that as a tech hero who invents his own gadgets.
So, I guess the question is: Are you folks careless enough to join me and investigate this thing?"

((I'd rather hope so. Plot hooks don't grow on trees!))

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-02, 07:23 AM
Powerhouse shrugs, looing towards FX,s haking his head "Yeah, we'll help and all..." he said, taking his hands down from being folded and placing them into his pockets

"If it really is as bad as it sounds and we're over our heads, we get back up" he said over his shoulder and back to Improv "All you had to do was ask" he said with a slight chuckle from under his helmet

Green Bean
2007-11-02, 07:56 AM
"Well, now that it's settled, where exactly do we begin?" Leshi said, unsure.

"We have a name, but not a reason. If he was so powerful, why would he give up all of it? Maybe there were side-effects?"

Axelgear
2007-11-02, 09:53 AM
Sekhmet nods in agreement to the proposal to search. For a brief moment, she reaches into her pocket and looks flustered as if something she thought was there wasn't, but then suddenly remembers and relaxes. Instead, she reaches into another pocket and takes out a bottle of water and a packet of flavouring crystals, which she pours into the bottle and shakes up until it turns a purple-red colour. After a sip of this, she joins in the conversation.

"Well, if Brick's powers are anything like mine, I'd be fairly certain there are. I become pretty angry in battle, to the point of ignoring common sense sometimes. Plus, I think I'm one of the few women on the planet who regularly has to shave her feet..." She adds, wiggling her toes, the claws clattering on the pavement as she does. Then, after another sip, "Though I'm fairly certain, whatever it was, was probably much worse than a hygienic or aesthetic problem."

sun_tzu
2007-11-02, 12:06 PM
"I'll definitely want to hear some more about your powers and origins, and see if they might have had something to do with Brick" says Improv. "Aside from that, I figure our best bet is to try to investigate what Brick had been doing prior to his suicide. When the Liberty League last fought the New Predators, Brick was clearly calling the shots, so I figure he had used his power-up to become their leader...but I think that's not the only thing he did. That same day, there was an explosion in Little China, in a spot owned by the Triades. Some of their thugs supposedly died, but there was no body at the funeral - as if, say, they had been vaporized by an energy blast. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'new and improved' Brick had stopped by Little China to tell the Triades who's boss.
I know the spot their higher-ups hang out at. If all five of us go together, there's a possibility they won't dare attack us, and pretty good odds we'll survive even if they do. We might learn something."

Zarthrax
2007-11-02, 01:45 PM
FX nods. "Sounds like a sound plan. Let's go with that."

Green Bean
2007-11-02, 02:09 PM
"Intimidating them so they don't fight us? Sounds like something I'd be pretty good at." Leshii grins mischievously as her form cycles through the active roster of the Global Champions. "Who do you think I should go as? The Avatar crashing a Triad bar would probably be a little conspicious."

sun_tzu
2007-11-02, 04:14 PM
"Intimidating them so they don't fight us? Sounds like something I'd be pretty good at." Leshii grins mischievously as her form cycles through the active roster of the Global Champions. "Who do you think I should go as? The Avatar crashing a Triad bar would probably be a little conspicious."

"Hm...Try going as me" suggests Improv. "It'll confuse them, and they're less confident like that."

Green Bean
2007-11-02, 04:44 PM
"Confused is definitely a quality I like in bad guys. How's this?" Leshii concentrates, and a moment later, Improv has a twin standing next to him. Leshii looks herself up and down, stretching her arms a few times to get used to her new centre of gravity. "Did I miss anything?"

sun_tzu
2007-11-02, 05:59 PM
"Confused is definitely a quality I like in bad guys. How's this?" Leshii concentrates, and a moment later, Improv has a twin standing next to him. Leshii looks herself up and down, stretching her arms a few times to get used to her new centre of gravity. "Did I miss anything?"

"Yeah. The broken arm. Other than that, perfect."

Axelgear
2007-11-02, 09:22 PM
As Sekhmet watches Leshii cycle through all the forms, she shivers and recoils from her once again, crossing her arms as if she was tryng to get warm. "Eesh... That's a bit dangerous, don't you think? And doesn't it feel weird pretending to be other people? It's like... I mean... Eesh... What if someone pretended to be someone you loved? A shapeshifter that stole the memories of someone you loved, killed them, and took their place?" Sekhmet just shivers, this clearly something she's probably thought of too much.

Green Bean
2007-11-02, 10:51 PM
Leshii shifts once again, this time ending up with a cast and a broken arm. In order to add realism, the bone actually was in two pieces; not even an x-ray would see the break as anything but genuine. Of course, bone issues aren't really a disadvantage to someone who once squeezed herself through a keyhole.

Leshii tries to reassure her new teammate. "It could be dangerous, yes, but not much more than going on this mission as myself. And I admit, taking someone else's form is really weird at first, especially when you cross genders, but it's something you get used to. I mean, I'll bet it was more than a little awkward when you first started flying."

Axelgear
2007-11-02, 11:30 PM
Sekhmet shakes her head slowly, frowning still, closing her eyes when Leshii gets close. She even begins to cringe and bite her lip. "That's different. Flying or fireballs or super-strength... I may be a bit biased, actually having those, but even stuff like super-speed or teleportation or invisibility... Well, no, invisibility is kinda the same... But that doesn't matter! It's just that... It's just so easy to abuse the trust that comes with having a power like yours. Not that I expect you to." Sekhmet staggers for words, the young goddess unable to voice her feelings. It's clear shapeshifting is downright discomforting to her. "I'm sorry. It's just that shapeshifting really creeps me out. I don't know why, it just does. I have nothing against you, you seem alright... I'm just letting my imagination run wild." She sighs. After a moment, she shivers and creates a fireball and breathes into her hands, causing the flames to lick about, trying to warm herself up. The cold doesn't harm her, but she still feels it. "Can we just get going? It's worse when I think about it."

Green Bean
2007-11-03, 12:17 AM
"I guess any power comes with the potential for misuse, though I do admit that shapeshifting's potential for abuse is certainly creepier than most. But you're right. This is something for later. For now, we should focus on the mission."

Axelgear
2007-11-03, 09:06 AM
Sekhmet nods in agreement "Good idea." With a turn of her head to Improv, she adds plainly "Lead the way."

((Waiting for Sun or whomever else has to post))

sun_tzu
2007-11-05, 01:18 PM
On the way to Little China (with some usage of public transportation), Improv keeps talking:
"So, guys, could you tell me about yourselves? Especially you" he points at Sekhmet. "I know I'm the fast-thinking gadget guy, I know you can fly, I know you are elastic, and unless I'm mistaken you're Francis Cross, but other than that, what are your abilities and stories?"

((By the way, do people still check the OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29109)? I occasionally post important stuff there - and right now, I've posted suggested 2nd edition stats for your characters.))

Green Bean
2007-11-05, 05:46 PM
Leshii considers the question for a moment before answering in her own voice.

"There's really not that much to tell. Midwestern girl, found out I was a mutant when I was twelve. General shapeshifting powers, mostly. My father was a cop, so I figured I'd follow in his footsteps. I turned 18 not too long ago, and I moved to Hollywood to follow my other dream at the same time. I had a, well, I guess you could call it an epiphany, and I ended up here to do the hero thing full time. Of course, full time heroing wasn't entirely my intention, but there's no openings here for my of line of work."

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-05, 06:04 PM
Powerhouse simply shrugged "Not much to tell. I found out about my powers kind of late, after my brother..." he paused and shook his head "At any rate, I started this whole super hero-ing thing sometime in high school, and went to college..." he said pausing

"I tried doing the solo thing for a while, I feel like I can do more with a group rather than just by myself..." he said pausing "This city needs all the help it can get" he shook his head , turning towards the gadgeteer "I've got super strength by the way...And Techno paladin named me the team leader" he said looking towards FX, then back towards Improv "For all that means"

Axelgear
2007-11-05, 06:14 PM
Sekhmet shrugs a little at the question, finding the looks she gets from others on public transit a little disconcerting but nothing she isn't used to. She also has to keep her tail dancing, thanks to a small boy of around the age of four who keeps trying to grab it.

"Myself... Well... My old name was Mary Jackson. I was born on a dig site in Egypt, moved all over the world with my parents... Fairly normal until a few months ago when I suffered some sort of seizure. Turned out it was a divine essence fusing with me. I was in hospital for a week or so, and throughout, my hands were clutched on an idol of Sekhmet I kept in my room. I guess... Somehow... It had an effect on me. I kept changing until... Well... This. And with that, she directs a motion along herself. "The doctors couldn't explain it, and I kept having fits of random anger, and kept smashing hospital beds and stuff. My Dad then remembered the old myths, gave me some of the pomegranate juice I carry about, and I calmed down. I got registered, I recovered, I went back to school. I... Had an incident... And found myself a lot of free time. Then, I got an invite to this place." She shrugged. "I can throw fireballs, I can punch holes in walls, I can see through them first, I can fly, I'm not hurt by fire or cold, I don't need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe..." Sekhmet listed off, counting her powers on her fingers, looking up at the roof as she thought, staring at nothing, and then suddenly jumped and yelped, her tail swiftly moving into her hand, the fluff on it standing on end, the child behind her having caught it and yanked on the hair. "Yow! Hey, watch it kid!" She yelled, eyes flashing red as she growled, wringing the wounded appendage. With a sigh, she shakes her head and finishes her tale. "Anyway... I never really got into being a superhero. I only ever really caused problems before now. I figured this was a good way to get this thing under control."

((Didn't check it recently, no, but I read the bit about Reaper. And I hope the bit with the child in this post is alright))

Zarthrax
2007-11-06, 09:18 AM
"And Techno paladin named me the team leader"[/COLOR] he said looking towards FX, then back towards Improv "For all that means"

"Look at it this way. It's not so much that I'm letting you be team leader as you being team leader makes you most likely to be shot at! And I have a very bad allergy to intravenous lead injections..."

sun_tzu
2007-11-06, 09:34 AM
Powerhouse simply shrugged "Not much to tell. I found out about my powers kind of late, after my brother..." he paused and shook his head "At any rate, I started this whole super hero-ing thing sometime in high school, and went to college..." he said pausing

"I tried doing the solo thing for a while, I feel like I can do more with a group rather than just by myself..." he said pausing "This city needs all the help it can get" he shook his head , turning towards the gadgeteer "I've got super strength by the way...And Techno paladin named me the team leader" he said looking towards FX, then back towards Improv "For all that means"

"So the rumors of Techno opening a 'hero school' were true, huh? Hope it'll work out."


"Myself... Well... My old name was Mary Jackson. I was born on a dig site in Egypt, moved all over the world with my parents... Fairly normal until a few months ago when I suffered some sort of seizure. Turned out it was a divine essence fusing with me. I was in hospital for a week or so, and throughout, my hands were clutched on an idol of Sekhmet I kept in my room. I guess... Somehow... It had an effect on me. I kept changing until... Well... This. And with that, she directs a motion along herself. "The doctors couldn't explain it, and I kept having fits of random anger, and kept smashing hospital beds and stuff. My Dad then remembered the old myths, gave me some of the pomegranate juice I carry about, and I calmed down. I got registered, I recovered, I went back to school. I... Had an incident... And found myself a lot of free time. Then, I got an invite to this place." She shrugged. "I can throw fireballs, I can punch holes in walls, I can see through them first, I can fly, I'm not hurt by fire or cold, I don't need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe..." Sekhmet listed off, counting her powers on her fingers, looking up at the roof as she thought, staring at nothing, and then suddenly jumped and yelped, her tail swiftly moving into her hand, the fluff on it standing on end, the child behind her having caught it and yanked on the hair. "Yow! Hey, watch it kid!" She yelled, eyes flashing red as she growled, wringing the wounded appendage. With a sigh, she shakes her head and finishes her tale. "Anyway... I never really got into being a superhero. I only ever really caused problems before now. I figured this was a good way to get this thing under control."
Improv gets pensive. "So...what, you're an actual Egyptian goddess? And if Brick called you 'one of them', does that mean I should be worried about fighting Seth somewhere down the road?"

((Techno-Paladin has his sources and access to secrets that may be relevant to Sekhmet's background. Improv...doesn't, so he relies on guesswork.))


((Didn't check it recently, no, but I read the bit about Reaper. And I hope the bit with the child in this post is alright))
((No prob. And I hope the bit with Reaper wasn't too much - I was trying to show him as truly, deeply EVIL with capital letters.))

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-06, 11:39 AM
"Look at it this way. It's not so much that I'm letting you be team leader as you being team leader makes you most likely to be shot at! And I have a very bad allergy to intravenous lead injections..."

"Your confidence in me is truly awe inspiring" he said, not sounding entirely annoyed, but a little amused "Luckily, I've developed a tolerance to those sort of injections"

Zarthrax
2007-11-06, 02:19 PM
"So, guys, could you tell me about yourselves? Especially you" he points at Sekhmet. "I know I'm the fast-thinking gadget guy, I know you can fly, I know you are elastic, and unless I'm mistaken you're Francis Cross, but other than that, what are your abilities and stories?"

"Actually, I'm both Francis Cross AND the fast-thinking gadget guy. Other than that, you know the jist already. My life's an open book."

Axelgear
2007-11-06, 06:57 PM
Improv gets pensive. "So...what, you're an actual Egyptian goddess? And if Brick called you 'one of them', does that mean I should be worried about fighting Seth somewhere down the road?"

((Techno-Paladin has his sources and access to secrets that may be relevant to Sekhmet's background. Improv...doesn't, so he relies on guesswork.))


((No prob. And I hope the bit with Reaper wasn't too much - I was trying to show him as truly, deeply EVIL with capital letters.))

((No worries. I've run games with decapitated infants appearing so often that they could be a form of currency. Too much really doesn't apply to me anymore))

Sekhmet shakes her head slowly, thinking about what she said and trying to tack on something further. "Uh... Yes... And no. See, I'm a goddess, of sorts, but not Sekhmet. Not the original Sekhmet, anyway. Techno-Paladin explained it to me and I don't really remember how he said it, but he explained that, yes, I am a goddess and that my powers haven't fully developed yet. I've got to ask him more on that... But I suppose it's just a matter of the right trigger or something." She shrugs, sipping more from her bottle of water and looking at her claws.

((Are they on a subway or bus?))

sun_tzu
2007-11-07, 01:41 AM
"Actually, I'm both Francis Cross AND the fast-thinking gadget guy. Other than that, you know the jist already. My life's an open book."

"Well, no, not really. I kinda remember you became a superhero recently - what was the codename again? FX or something like that? - but I don't know what you can do. I'm guessing those gauntlets aren't just ornamental?"


Sekhmet shakes her head slowly, thinking about what she said and trying to tack on something further. "Uh... Yes... And no. See, I'm a goddess, of sorts, but not Sekhmet. Not the original Sekhmet, anyway. Techno-Paladin explained it to me and I don't really remember how he said it, but he explained that, yes, I am a goddess and that my powers haven't fully developed yet. I've got to ask him more on that... But I suppose it's just a matter of the right trigger or something." She shrugs, sipping more from her bottle of water and looking at her claws.
"Ooookay. I'll ask Techno about it." Improv doesn't really seem satisfied with the explanation.
As the subway reaches another stop, he adds: "We're getting off at the next one. The Triade hangout ain't far."

Axelgear
2007-11-07, 06:46 AM
Sekhmet nods and just sways with the train as it moves. After a moment, she frowns, and tilts her head, soon just hanging from the bars, hovering off the ground ".... So is this normal? Do all superheroes take the subway or something?"

((Yes, I have played CoH))

sun_tzu
2007-11-07, 06:59 AM
Sekhmet nods and just sways with the train as it moves. After a moment, she frowns, and tilts her head, soon just hanging from the bars, hovering off the ground ".... So is this normal? Do all superheroes take the subway or something?"

((Yes, I have played CoH))

"I know I usually do" says Improv. "Global Champions got their teleporters, Vigilance can fly...Depends, really."

((Heh. To quote from PvP: "Go go justice mass transport!"))

Green Bean
2007-11-07, 08:20 AM
"So, what can we expect at this hangout, anyway? Are we looking at a bunch of guys with guns, or something a little harder to crack?"

sun_tzu
2007-11-07, 08:32 AM
"So, what can we expect at this hangout, anyway? Are we looking at a bunch of guys with guns, or something a little harder to crack?"

"Guys with guns are pretty much a given. I wouldn't be surprised too find a metahuman enforcer or two, especially if Abe Lam is there - their 'mountain master', or gang boss if you will."

Green Bean
2007-11-07, 08:40 AM
"So is this Abe guy we're looking for a metahuman too? I mean, with all of the hero teams and rival gangs in this city, the only way you're going to survive is if you're really smart, or really powerful."

sun_tzu
2007-11-07, 08:57 AM
"So is this Abe guy we're looking for a metahuman too? I mean, with all of the hero teams and rival gangs in this city, the only way you're going to survive is if you're really smart, or really powerful."

"True enough. The police suspects Abe is meta, but it's unconfirmed. He's not the smartest mobster in town, I think - not stupid, but not that smart either. Triad politics can be complicated, especially since they're less unified than, say, the Italian Mafia - in fact, the Triads spend more time fighting each other than fighting non-Chinese gangs. Abe controls one of the Big Apple's Triads, not all of them.
I know he's got a very deadly enforcer, though - goes by Lady Sting. Dangerous girl with some kind of magic sword. I've seen her cut through omni-metal."

((omni-metal - created by the world-spanning Omnicorp with reverse-engineered alien technology - is a silvery metal about twice as strong as steel, and somewhat lighter. Becoming increasingly common, and used en mass for the buildings in Megalopolis.))

Green Bean
2007-11-07, 09:03 AM
"Ouch! I can see why it would be a good idea to avoid fighting."

sun_tzu
2007-11-07, 09:10 AM
"Ouch! I can see why it would be a good idea to avoid fighting."

"And I'm sure you can see why I thought it'd be best to bring several people" adds Improv as the subway reaches your station.

Green Bean
2007-11-07, 09:14 AM
"Good point," Leshii says as she steps out into the station. "Lead on."

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-07, 05:11 PM
"All the more targets..." said Powerhueunder his breath, looking ahead "So what do you guys prefer? A stealthy approach? Or should we just bash our way in?" he said with a slight laugh at the second option

Stealth until necessary would be best, if they were smart they'd already know we're here however....

sun_tzu
2007-11-07, 05:19 PM
"All the more targets..." said Powerhueunder his breath, looking ahead "So what do you guys prefer? A stealthy approach? Or should we just bash our way in?" he said with a slight laugh at the second option

Stealth until necessary would be best, if they were smart they'd already know we're here however....

"Well, considering we want to ask them questions, I was hoping to go for the 'walk in like we own the place and hope to high heaven they'll be intimidated' approach."

Zarthrax
2007-11-07, 06:24 PM
"Well, the gauntlets can either blast things or help me punch things. I gotta portal generator that helps out for stuff. That's about it. Not counting the datalink, of course. With regard to the intimidation plan, I'll let you guys handle that part. I'm about as intimidating as oatmeal. Also, if we run into the girl, dibs on the sword."

sun_tzu
2007-11-08, 02:40 AM
"Well, the gauntlets can either blast things or help me punch things. I gotta portal generator that helps out for stuff. That's about it. Not counting the datalink, of course. With regard to the intimidation plan, I'll let you guys handle that part. I'm about as intimidating as oatmeal. Also, if we run into the girl, dibs on the sword."

"Yeah, that'll happen" Improv rolls his eyes. "If you can arrest and convict her, then the sword probably goes to the FBSA. Otherwise, she keeps it. Besides, since it's a magic sword and all, there's a fifty-fifty chance it's bonded to her or some other mystical thing like that.
Anyway...Here we are" he points at a large building - some kind of Chinese restaurant/club hybrid. "Abe's triad owns this joint. Ready to walk inside?"

Green Bean
2007-11-08, 08:31 AM
Leshii nods as she makes a final check of her disguise. "Let's do this."

Axelgear
2007-11-08, 06:49 PM
"I know he's got a very deadly enforcer, though - goes by Lady Sting. Dangerous girl with some kind of magic sword. I've seen her cut through omni-metal."

Sekhmet pauses at this, and has to think long and hard on some formulating idea. She finally voices it when they're getting off the train. "Lady Sting... Kanojo wa watas-hitachi wo korosu..." Sekhmet states in flawless Japanese. She then just continues to follow the group, hovering along behind them. "Sheesh, I forgot how much I used to walk..." She mutters, looking at her feet along the way.

((Just fyi, translated, it means "She's going to kill us". As for how she knows it, Sekhmet knows a few key phrases in Japanese, including asking directions to the bathroom, saying she doesn't speak Japanese, and other minor phrases picked up from travel books and various animes. And the hyphen is there because of the ruddy swear-filter.))

sun_tzu
2007-11-11, 02:27 PM
Sekhmet pauses at this, and has to think long and hard on some formulating idea. She finally voices it when they're getting off the train. "Lady Sting... Kanojo wa watas-hitachi wo korosu..." Sekhmet states in flawless Japanese. She then just continues to follow the group, hovering along behind them. "Sheesh, I forgot how much I used to walk..." She mutters, looking at her feet along the way.

((Just fyi, translated, it means "She's going to kill us". As for how she knows it, Sekhmet knows a few key phrases in Japanese, including asking directions to the bathroom, saying she doesn't speak Japanese, and other minor phrases picked up from travel books and various animes. And the hyphen is there because of the ruddy swear-filter.))

"That was Japanese, right?" asks Improv. "Avoid using it in there - those guys hate the Japanese."

As your group enters the building, all eyes turn to you. The place is richly decorated - a combination of Chinese tradition, modern America, and a lot of money.
There is a group of several men and one women Improv seems to be leading you toward. The woman has a beautiful sword by her side.

Zarthrax
2007-11-11, 04:51 PM
FX's eyes widen at the sight of the sword. "Definately a pre-emptive dibs call..."

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-12, 02:29 PM
Powerhouse shakes his head at FX and in a hoarse whisper says "You could make one..." he said before turning himself back towards the people at hand. He unhooked one of the hypermass balls and began to toss it up and down idly in his right hand

He then looks around with a half hearted shrug at the place turning towards Improv briefly "Rather gaudy isn't it?" he said very audibly before turning back towards the front, looking at the group and men and the women. He was silently glad he had a helmet on, because he was definitely looking Lady Sting over

No...no more super powered dates, especially not a villain...not again anyway...still he pondered shaking his head before turning ahead back towards the Triad, bowing slightly towards them when he got closer

"I'm not much for formality..." he said tossing the hypermass ball up again "But...I suppose I should say it's an honor to meet you...if I were polite...luckily I'm not" he said with a shrug "We have a common problem...or rather, had a problem..." he said looking towards Improv briefly "You wouldn't happen to remember a fellow named Brick would you?" he said his voice dripping with sarcasm on the last statement

Green Bean
2007-11-12, 03:23 PM
Leshii is content to let Powerhouse do the talking for now. She amuses herself by mirroring Improv's movements an instant after he did, as if she were a particularly advanced hologram.

sun_tzu
2007-11-12, 04:37 PM
The triad members seem confused at first, especially by the twin Improvs...Then Powerhouse speaks up.


"I'm not much for formality..." he said tossing the hypermass ball up again "But...I suppose I should say it's an honor to meet you...if I were polite...luckily I'm not" he said with a shrug "We have a common problem...or rather, had a problem..." he said looking towards Improv briefly "You wouldn't happen to remember a fellow named Brick would you?" he said his voice dripping with sarcasm on the last statement.
Improv gives you a memorable look. You can't tell if it's shock or admiration.
The look the thugs give you seems more like a mix of shock and anger. Only the woman with the sword - Lady Sting? - remains almost impassible, merely raising an eyebrow. She doesn't look friendly, but her expression seems more curious than angry.
"You have quite some nerve, cape" says the one at the far end of the table. "Barging deep into the Triad's home to show its members disrespect is not a smart move."
"Want us to teach them respect, Mr Lam?" one of the other thugs asks him; the look on his face, right now, is a mixture of eagerness and plain meanness.

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-12, 05:42 PM
Powerhouse shrugged and looked towards the eager man

"Respect is only given if it is received...For instance...I currently respect, the one Mr. Lam there more than you. He's willing to see a business opportunity that would be beneficial to him and doesn't speak out of turn...nor does your better with the sword either...so please, be silent" he said turning towards Lam

"You'll forgive me, I'm far more used to dealing with your Sicilian counterparts, and with them, I wouldn't hesitate to throw down this hypermass ball" he said tossing it up into the air again "Which would then probably destroy the building...nor would I waste my breath trying to speak with them, they're less...refined that you are" he said looking around the room briefly, tossing the ball in the air again Not in fashion sense perhaps though...


"Besides...If I came in kissing your ass, you'd not trust me at all, I'm being honest with you, a rarity. I'd much rather someone be honest to me, than to kiss my ass in a false display of respect and honor, merely waiting for a moment to strike" he said with a glance towards the prior man, taking a deep breath before continuing, his voice reverberating slightly from his own helmet

"You talk of a smart move...you're an intelligent man...I highly doubt you'd want another Brick to come in and ruin your facilities...let alone the creature that spawned him" he said looking back towards the eager man

"We could, of course, fight, and even if you should win, you'll have a lot of losses and collateral damage, and publicity, never a good thing for a crime boss...Or we could arrange a deal. One that gives us information about Brick, and gives you a little more...breathing room shall we say?" he said, throwing the hypermass ball up in the air again "A win for you on two fronts...assuming you're willing to forgo a moment of disrespect...and more trouble than either of us want right now" the ball falling back down into his hand Though I am curious to see what the sword would do...

Axelgear
2007-11-12, 08:40 PM
Sekhmet watches Powerhouse with what might be called respect. However, she's frequently distracted by looking about the room. After a moment, Sekhmet begins to rub her head and groan softly, as if in some sort of pain. She then rubs her forehead and quickly realizes what's going on and doesn't move her palms away from her face. Regardless, she still seems to be looking about...

X-Ray Vision

Zarthrax
2007-11-12, 09:01 PM
FX says nothing and just stands there, looking impassively ahead. His mind, on the other hand, is going a mile-a-minute making plans and rejecting them just as fast. Set the place on fire? No, too many civilians. Hypermagnetic resonance field? No, people like having the Statue of Liberty. Take it when she isn't looking? No, not sneaky enough. Portal it away? ....Maybe....

sun_tzu
2007-11-13, 03:25 AM
FX says nothing and just stands there, looking impassively ahead. His mind, on the other hand, is going a mile-a-minute making plans and rejecting them just as fast. Set the place on fire? No, too many civilians. Hypermagnetic resonance field? No, people like having the Statue of Liberty. Take it when she isn't looking? No, not sneaky enough. Portal it away? ....Maybe....
((Um, Zarthrax, why exactly is your superhero character contemplating theft?:smalleek: ))


Sekhmet watches Powerhouse with what might be called respect. However, she's frequently distracted by looking about the room. After a moment, Sekhmet begins to rub her head and groan softly, as if in some sort of pain. She then rubs her forehead and quickly realizes what's going on and doesn't move her palms away from her face. Regardless, she still seems to be looking about...
Your X-ray vision allows you to see past the walls easily. People actively working in the kitchen. A couple in the supply closet...engaging in activities not fit to describe here. Gamblers playing cards in a back room. Three guys apparently using drugs in another back room. A very large room downstairs with an over-sized boxing ring and spectator benches.


Powerhouse shrugged and looked towards the eager man

"Respect is only given if it is received...For instance...I currently respect, the one Mr. Lam there more than you. He's willing to see a business opportunity that would be beneficial to him and doesn't speak out of turn...nor does your better with the sword either...so please, be silent" he said turning towards Lam

"You'll forgive me, I'm far more used to dealing with your Sicilian counterparts, and with them, I wouldn't hesitate to throw down this hypermass ball" he said tossing it up into the air again "Which would then probably destroy the building...nor would I waste my breath trying to speak with them, they're less...refined that you are" he said looking around the room briefly, tossing the ball in the air again Not in fashion sense perhaps though...


"Besides...If I came in kissing your ass, you'd not trust me at all, I'm being honest with you, a rarity. I'd much rather someone be honest to me, than to kiss my ass in a false display of respect and honor, merely waiting for a moment to strike" he said with a glance towards the prior man, taking a deep breath before continuing, his voice reverberating slightly from his own helmet

"You talk of a smart move...you're an intelligent man...I highly doubt you'd want another Brick to come in and ruin your facilities...let alone the creature that spawned him" he said looking back towards the eager man

"We could, of course, fight, and even if you should win, you'll have a lot of losses and collateral damage, and publicity, never a good thing for a crime boss...Or we could arrange a deal. One that gives us information about Brick, and gives you a little more...breathing room shall we say?" he said, throwing the hypermass ball up in the air again "A win for you on two fronts...assuming you're willing to forgo a moment of disrespect...and more trouble than either of us want right now" the ball falling back down into his hand Though I am curious to see what the sword would do...

Lam seems to hesitate. "You seem awfully concerned about Brick. Last time I checked, the dead don't come back. Except for the Avatar of course" he quickly adds.
"Boss, you can't seriously let them walk away!" says one of the thugs. "If we let capes walk into here and go out easily, nothing's sacred anymore!"
"I dunno, Mr Lam" says another guy, "Brick did give us trouble. It might be wise to try to find out more, and fighting with these guys isn't going to help us at all..."
"Bah!" the eager thug clearly disagrees. "Brick is dead. Are you saying the Mountain Master should be afraid of dead men, or these capes?"
"No-no, but..."
Lam has apparently decided he's heard enough. "Silence. We are Sanhehui, Triad Society. Here, we are the law. Neither the New Predators nor some jumped-up capes have their place here. Lady Sting, deal with them."
"No." Lady Sting's answer is enough to shut up all the other thugs.
"Excuse me?" Lam's expression is...memorable.
"I will not follow your order, Abe Lam." she says matter-of-factly.
"You..."
"Like you said, we are Sanhehui; no-one has any business ordering us around. But when Brick came here and threatened your pathetic life, you folded like tissue paper."
"I..."
"Silence!" the suddenness of the shout makes it all the more effective. "You accepted for us to become little more than the lackeys of a common thug! You have failed your duties as Mountain Master! The Triads have dealt with supervillains for generations; what exactly gave you the right to betray our honor like that?!"
"Brick's power..."
"Excuses! You put your pitiful life before the triad's honor, and now you expect me to keep fighting for you?"
The remaining thugs mostly seem as surprised as Lam. A few seem amused - some might even be trying not to snicker. Sting goes on:
"Fight your own fights, Mountain Master, and wash your honor in blood. We have an arena downstairs, and we have five capes. Pick four men to fight by your side. If you win, I will concede that you have cleaned your honor, and my fate will be in your hands. If you lose, then you're out, as you deserve to be."
"But...being Mountain Master has nothing to do with..." one of the thugs begins to protest.
Whish. You barely see a flash as Lady Stings draws out her sword and puts it against the man's neck. "Oh, by all means, go ahead and voice any disagreement that you have", she says with a wide smile.
He does nothing but look down at the blade.
Lady Sting puts her sword back, and turns to you. "You want to know more about Brick? Fine. Beat this dog, and you will know everything we know about Brick."
Lam seems to hesitate, but then realizes that Sting really isn't giving him much of a choice if he wants to keep his current position.

Axelgear
2007-11-13, 05:27 AM
Sekhmet only half-listens to all of this, hands moving away from her reddening face as she stares continuously and vacantly at a part of the wall. On occasion, she giggles or gasps quietly. It is the drawing of the blade that snaps Sekhmet back, her eyes glowing blue. Quickly, she blinks twice and they return to normal, sparks of ethereal energy flitting away from her like floating tears.

"Huh? What's going on?" Sekhmet asks Powerhouse quickly, looking up at him and then the iaijutsu-mastering femme fatale. "I was distracted examining the place. They've got drugs, gambling, a kitchen, and a boxing ring downstairs, and.... Some other stuff not worth mentioning. Y'know, storage rooms and stuff. Nothing special."

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-13, 07:14 AM
Powerhouse leans to the side to speak with Skehmet

"Politics is what's going on. We're providing an easy out for them given their current amount of internal strife, us fighting their leader to prove his worth is an effective means of preventing a Triad civil war...though thy do that often enough" he said looking back up "I think we don't have to fight Lady Sting on the bright side...which is sad because I wanted to see that sword in action...and that..." he shook his head, regaining his composure

"So whattaya guys think? Sounds simple enough...might be a good thing to do, in the grand scheme of things" he said in a hushed whisper

sun_tzu
2007-11-13, 07:33 AM
Powerhouse leans to the side to speak with Skehmet

"Politics is what's going on. We're providing an easy out for them given their current amount of internal strife, us fighting their leader to prove his worth is an effective means of preventing a Triad civil war...though thy do that often enough" he said looking back up "I think we don't have to fight Lady Sting on the bright side...which is sad because I wanted to see that sword in action...and that..." he shook his head, regaining his composure

"So whattaya guys think? Sounds simple enough...might be a good thing to do, in the grand scheme of things" he said in a hushed whisper

"I think we can take them" whispers Improv. "Even if Lam really is meta, and gets four more metas, odds are none of them have had their powers for all that long...and even if we lose, I don't think they'll dare kill us. Not worth the trouble.
Gotta say that I wasn't expecting Sting's move there. Guess she's the double-or-nothing type."

Green Bean
2007-11-13, 07:36 AM
Five guys? Dang, this lady is good.

Leshii drops her hologram act (but not her disguised shape), and joins in with Skehmet and Powerhouse's discussion.

"Normally, I'd be in favour of a Triad civil war, but information on Brick is the priority. I say we kick their butts."

Zarthrax
2007-11-13, 05:22 PM
((Um, Zarthrax, why exactly is your superhero character contemplating theft?:smalleek: ))


FX's calculations pull into a dead stop, just about the same time as Lam's proverbial Leadership train. For once, the supergenius is just kinda dumbfounded by the situation... Note to self. She has REALLY good reaction times....


((Never know when it might come in handy... Plus, I actually wasn't gonna steal it.:smallwink: :smallbiggrin: ))

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-13, 06:53 PM
Powerhouse makes a nod and then turns back towards Lady Sting "We accept your offer..whenever the little hill boy is ready" he said looking towards Lam, catching the hypermass ball and placing it on his belt effortlessly. He looked back towards the others with a nod and then back towards Lady Sting.

"Any specific rules for this? Apart from trying not to destroy your hideout?" he said folding his arms in a defensive position

sun_tzu
2007-11-14, 02:42 AM
Powerhouse makes a nod and then turns back towards Lady Sting "We accept your offer..whenever the little hill boy is ready" he said looking towards Lam, catching the hypermass ball and placing it on his belt effortlessly. He looked back towards the others with a nod and then back towards Lady Sting.

"Any specific rules for this? Apart from trying not to destroy your hideout?" he said folding his arms in a defensive position

"The five of you. Lam and four of us of his choosing. An arena downstairs" she leads the way.

Axelgear
2007-11-14, 09:07 AM
Sekhmet is clearly curious about this, but smiles "Neat. I could use a good fight." Trying to look as menacing as possible, she smacks her fist into her palm a few times and cracks her knuckles before wincing hard "Ow, ow, oooow!" She whines, shaking her hand and blowing on it to try and calm the pain.

Eventually, she looks to Lady Sting "Hey... Uh... If... Say... A fireball goes off in this battle and damages the place, what would you do?"

sun_tzu
2007-11-14, 09:27 AM
Sekhmet is clearly curious about this, but smiles "Neat. I could use a good fight." Trying to look as menacing as possible, she smacks her fist into her palm a few times and cracks her knuckles before wincing hard "Ow, ow, oooow!" She whines, shaking her hand and blowing on it to try and calm the pain.

Eventually, she looks to Lady Sting "Hey... Uh... If... Say... A fireball goes off in this battle and damages the place, what would you do?"

"You're not the first superhumans to use the arena" she replies tersely.
The arena downstairs is relatively large - about 35 feet wide. Benches all around to watch, and even some cameras. Most of you have heard rumors about fight competitions of dubious legal status going on in places like this.
Lam seems to have chosen his four men: The over-eager thug, the "nothing's sacred anymore" thug, a guy who looks like a weightlifter, and a younger-looking guy - he can't be a year over twenty - who looks a bit like a Chinese Dicaprio. They step up on the ring.

Green Bean
2007-11-14, 09:41 AM
Leshii dropped into a combat stance. She wasn't an expert by any means, but she had taken several police-sponsored self defence courses. Besides, she was good at moving unexpectedly.

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-14, 05:29 PM
Powerhouse nodded once seeing the opponents, and then turned towards the others before entering the arena

"Ok...we've got one guy's likely likely superstrength...and four unknowns...though with a name like mountain master I can guess." he said with a pause beginning to whisper

"Gaget boys, once we begin, do what you do best, trying to keep them occupied and in place...Skehmet...you're on long range, take out who you can...Leeann?...Lucy? whatever the hell your name is...support, help out where you can...I'll make a nice little vibration to start...I call Lam" he said with a nod to see if everyone understood

Green Bean
2007-11-14, 05:37 PM
Leshii nods."Support, got it. And it's Leshii."

sun_tzu
2007-11-14, 05:43 PM
though with a name like mountain master I can guess.
((Actually, "Mountain Master" is Triad-speak for "gang boss" :smallwink: ))

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-14, 06:30 PM
((Meh, he's assuming...))

Axelgear
2007-11-15, 05:30 AM
Sekhmet just grins and forms a ball of flame in her palms and her smile swifly becomes menacing as she shapes it in her hands secretively.

"Right. You've got Lam, I'll strafe 'em all. Mind if I start? I have a surprise for them..." She smirks and then readies into a throwing stance, eyes prowling their way across the group before starting to turn blood red once more.

If Powerhouse says yes, Sekhmet uses a Hero Point to create an Area Fireball that will wrap around every one of the enemies, followed by a normal shot at the young triad

sun_tzu
2007-11-15, 05:43 AM
Sekhmet just grins and forms a ball of flame in her palms and her smile swifly becomes menacing as she shapes it in her hands secretively.

"Right. You've got Lam, I'll strafe 'em all. Mind if I start? I have a surprise for them..." She smirks and then readies into a throwing stance, eyes prowling their way across the group before starting to turn blood red once more.

If Powerhouse says yes, Sekhmet uses a Hero Point to create an Area Fireball that will wrap around every one of the enemies, followed by a normal shot at the young triad
((Using a Hero Point for an area shot is acceptable (although, keep in mind, this is 2nd edition now, so the rules for Hero Points are a bit different). You can't follow up with a second attack in the same round, though.))

Green Bean
2007-11-15, 06:56 AM
((Wait, so we've switched to 2nd Edition Hero Point rules early?))

sun_tzu
2007-11-15, 07:08 AM
((Wait, so we've switched to 2nd Edition Hero Point rules early?))

((There's a reason I provided those 2nd ed character sheets on the OOC thread!:smallamused: ))

Green Bean
2007-11-15, 07:10 AM
((Sweet! Mind if I switch around a few things before combat starts?))

sun_tzu
2007-11-15, 07:20 AM
((Sweet! Mind if I switch around a few things before combat starts?))

((Just say what changes you want to make in the OOC thread. I imagine the fight will start when Zarthrax posts his action.))

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-15, 10:45 AM
Powerhouse nodded "Fine by me...We all set?...Let's do it" he said turning around back towards the bad guys looking towards Lady Sting "We're ready..." he said with a nod. At her go ahead, he'd wait for Skehmet to do her fireball, before slamming the ground at the opposing team, hopefully sending them to the ground...

Green Bean
2007-11-15, 11:21 AM
Leshii prepares to support the rest of her allies by keeping the one of the thugs occupied. As soon as Sekhmet and Powerhouse have their fun, she'll move in close and start twisting around the DiCaprio.

((Move action to get next to the DiCaprio, then grapple))

Zarthrax
2007-11-16, 03:16 PM
FX thumbs a switch on his belt, then nods at Powerhouse. "No prob." He then smiles at the weight lifter. "To quote a very good movie, 'Can you fly, Bobby?'"

An attempt to open a portal under him, and drop him onto 'Nothing's Sacred' guy.

Axelgear
2007-11-16, 10:57 PM
When Sekhmet gets the indication that everyone is ready, she takes a step or two back and drops into a ready stance. On the cue to go, she leaps forward the distance of these steps and spins in the air before casting a ball of burning energy right into the heart of the bad guys. It immediately expands with a roaring noise, spinning and grinding against them before collapsing. "Suffer, mortals!" She yells with a wicked grin, watching to see the result.

sun_tzu
2007-11-18, 03:34 PM
((Initiative:
Improv
Leshii
nothing's sacred thug
Sekhmet
FX
Lam
Dicaprio thug
Powerhouse
eager thug
big thug))

As the fight begins, Improv throws a dart-like device in the triads' direction. A few feet into the air, the dart suddenly sends a very bright flash of light in their direction; they all close their eyes for a moment and emit yelps of pain.
"Nothing's Sacred", who apparently managed to blink at the right moment, jumps in the air, fist extended forward - then, suddenly, accelerates to fantastic speeds toward Sekhmet. It is only her amazing reflexes that allow the feline heroine to get out of the attack's way as it hits the ground, causing it to shake. Sekhmet, as she completes her dodging move, sends a fireball that explodes among the rest of the triads; most of them saw the fireball right before Improv's flash, and had the good reflex to jump out of the way, but still get somewhat burned; Eager Thug was caught right in the middle, but none of his burns seem incapacitating, while the big guy doesn't look like he was really hurt.
While the big guy barely avoids falling through FX's wormhole, Lam raises his hand, and screams, "DIE, CAPE!" as a blast of energy flies from him toward Improv. Despite being currently blinded, he manages (either by luck or by skill) to aim in the right direction. The blast, however, never reaches its target, as Improv's little flying ball puts itself in the way, blocking the attack.
The Dicaprio thug sees Leshii moving at him, but doesn't dodge. Once she has grappled him, he grins, then suddenly begins vibrating like a weapon-grade diapason. The vibrations shake Leshii badly - you feel like there are jackhammers working over your entire body, and your nose is bleeding - but the heroine's elastic nature allows her to take the brunt of the attack without letting go.
By striking the ground at the right angle ((normally this just affects the area around you, but I'll let it pass this time)), Powerhouse causes a powerful ripple that moves toward Lam and the big guy. Lam falls over, but the big guy makes a superhuman leap toward Powerhouse, sending a super-strong haymaker...that isses its target, due to a combination of his temporary semi-blindness and Powerhouse taking a step to the right.

Green Bean
2007-11-18, 04:04 PM
Dang it! Why did I have to pick the human paint mixer!

Leshii shakes her head to clear the vibrations, then focuses back in on her opponent. Four more arms sprout from her shoulders and join the first pair in encircling her foe. When he's held in place, her back grows another limb, the tip of which was incredibly dense. The appendage curves up and around her head, aiming right for DiCaprio's face.

Axelgear
2007-11-19, 02:41 AM
Sekhmet, determined to not let anyone get away with attacking her, quickly moves up just off the ground, hovering out of arms reach of her attacker, before quickly formulating another fireball. She holds it for a moment, and watches, and waits, and a sly grin crosses her features. She then draws up her other hand and raises it as well, creating a second ball of flame in dramatic display, then thrusting her hands down. When she sees her opponent flinch, she smiles, and then, and only then does a shot of flame rush forth from the tip of her tail like a seering whip.

Sekhmet flies up 10 feet, feints, and then uses another fireball, targeting the guy who attacked her

Zarthrax
2007-11-21, 05:46 PM
FX grimaces. "I probably telegraphed that one, I'll give you that. Plan B." He flicks a switch on his gauntlets and starts taking potshots at various villains who aren't charging him...

Also known as the Nothing's Sacred, Eager, and Lam. In that order.

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-21, 10:26 PM
Powerhouse watches as the big man comes his way and then looks back towards Lam "You're not who I wanna fight" he said aloud, attempting to grab then man and then in a single quick motion, throw him towards Lam, hoping for a collision

sun_tzu
2007-11-22, 04:14 PM
"Not today, Lam!" Improv says as he throws another object. This time, it explodes mid-air into a net, which catches the triad leader. While entangled, Lam barely manages to stay upright, and tries to aim another blast at Improv...which is when his eye catches something flying at him from the corner of his vision: Powerhouse's foe, whom the latter has successfully lifted and used as a thrown weapon. After a violent collision, the large thug gets up and jumps toward Powerhouse, trying to land another haymaker; once again, Powerhouse dodges. Lam seems completely out of it.
Leshi's attempts to stop Dicaprio from vibrating painfully don't really seem to be doing much except make it easier for him to hurt her...But the vibrations seem to stop for a few seconds when she manages to clock him in the face. In fact, he seems somewhat dazed.
"Nothing's Sacred" managed to land a punch on Sekhmet's stomach right before she takes off. It hurts ((one stun hit)), but not enough to stop her from taking to the air and launching her fireball at him. While he sees through her feint and dodges in the right direction, he still isn't quick enough. He screams from the pain, and looks up at you with hatred in his eyes (also, no clothes. And some second-degree burns). That's when a blast of kinetic energy from FX hits him on the head, causing him to spin in the air as he flies away before hitting the ground, unconscious.
The eager thug, still recovering from the bright flash, decides to focus on Improv. The spherical device (barely) blocks a superhumanly strong punch from him; he swats it away, and grabs Improv by the shoulder of his broken arm. You hear a cracking noise, and a groan of pain from Improv...

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-22, 05:30 PM
Powerhouse watched the situation and shook his head, two down,, but three were remaining and definitely hurting two of the team

"FX, help the new girl out...And for the love of chinese food, someone get this guy off of me, he's not good for much more than a projectile" he said, with a single hand motion batting away the man's attack before going to help Improv

Powerhouse began to run and tried to put all his might into a single punch to send the eager thug flying "Peek-a-boo" he said, before his fist attempted to collide with the man, hopefully taking his attention away from Improv

Green Bean
2007-11-22, 06:29 PM
Leshii grits her teeth as her blow seemed to do little more than daze the guy a little. Holding on tighter didn't seem to be working, so she decides to go with the opposite approach. She releases her grip on the thug, and reverts to a somewhat more human shape.

"I know you were enjoying that, but I just can't date a human vibrator. People would talk," Leshii taunts as she feints a right hook at her opponent, following up with a crushing head butt.

Axelgear
2007-11-24, 03:05 PM
Sekhmet, however, has her hands full. Covering her stomach, she maintains a comfortable distance from the man below her and proceeds to further wallop him with fireballs "Sort of busy at the moment, myself!" She calls out, continuing to unleash an onslaught of fiery fury.

Zarthrax
2007-11-27, 06:14 PM
FX grins. "Done and done." He starts shooting at Vibro Guy. "Didja know you could probably make more money legitimately by crushing grapes in Italy?"

sun_tzu
2007-11-28, 04:07 AM
Sekhmet, however, has her hands full. Covering her stomach, she maintains a comfortable distance from the man below her and proceeds to further wallop him with fireballs "Sort of busy at the moment, myself!" She calls out, continuing to unleash an onslaught of fiery fury.
((Er, Axelgear? Your opponent is down. Unless you object, I'll assume you're blasting at the big guy.))

The Eager Thug seems about to crush Improv, when the latter pulls out...a can of mace, which he aims directly at the mobster's eyes. The villain screams in pain, not even seeing Powerhouse as he runs at him, sending him flying out of the ring and into a wall, leaving a crack there. He doesn't get up.
Dicaprio doesn't fare any better. Falling for Leshii's feint, he tries to dodge in the wrong direction; when her head extends at him like he missile, it's too late to get out of the way. He staggers for half-a-second before the blast from FX sends him flying to the end of the ring. Another one bites the dust.
The Big Guy seems ready to strike at Powerhouse again when Sekhmet's fireball hits him again. This time, he actually looks a little singed. Looking up at her, he hesitates for a moment, then readies himself to jump. In the next instant, he launches himself upward at a fantastic speed, ready to impale the feline heroine on his fist. This turns out not to be such a clever move. Sekhmet easily hovers out of the way. The thug ends his trajectory with his head embedded in the ceiling.

"That will be enough, I believe." Lady Sting seems completely unfazed, as she gestures toward what you're guessing is their first aid crew, who begin taking care of the Triad members. "Now, I believe I've promised to tell you more about Brick. Let's go back upstairs."

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-11-28, 11:27 AM
Powerhouse smirks at the man flies back towards the wall, leaving a crack, he then looks towards Improv, his expression hidden beneath his mask "You alright?" he said looking over his shoulder towards the others as well, to see if everyone else was still in good shape

"Good job guys...now let's see where the rabbit hole takes us" he said, looking to see if Improv needed help, if not he'd continue forward, following Lady Sting, his gaze likely going up and down her subconsciously

Green Bean
2007-11-28, 11:50 AM
"Nothing serious here," Leshii says, retracting her head. She shifts back into a non-elastic human, choosing the appearance of a petite brunette in a business suit. She'd never taken this shape before, and probably wouldn't again; this was the mob, after all. She trails Lady Sting and Powerhouse upstairs.

Zarthrax
2007-11-28, 02:58 PM
Powerhouse smirks at the man flies back towards the wall, leaving a crack, he then looks towards Improv, his expression hidden beneath his mask "You alright?" he said looking over his shoulder towards the others as well, to see if everyone else was still in good shape

"Good job guys...now let's see where the rabbit hole takes us" he said, looking to see if Improv needed help, if not he'd continue forward, following Lady Sting, his gaze likely going up and down her subconsciously

FX grimaces. "That was a terrible movie. And they owe Lewis Carroll licensing fees..."

Axelgear
2007-11-28, 08:13 PM
((Whoops, mis-read that. Yeah, just assume the Big Guy took the hit))

Sekhmet, who nimbly dodges the flying mass of meat, looks on with worry at the man trapped in the ceiling, and actively tries to help him out. When he is free, she smiles sheepishly and asks, accompanied by a nervous laugh, "Heh heh... No hard feelings?" Regardless of the response, Sekhmet flies over to the rest of the group and hovers nearby, not wanting to miss a word on this. After all, Brick knew something about what she is, and that is something that holds onto her curiousity.

sun_tzu
2007-11-29, 02:15 AM
Sekhmet, who nimbly dodges the flying mass of meat, looks on with worry at the man trapped in the ceiling, and actively tries to help him out. When he is free, she smiles sheepishly and asks, accompanied by a nervous laugh, "Heh heh... No hard feelings?" Regardless
From the way he looks at you, you suspect there are hard feelings.


Powerhouse smirks at the man flies back towards the wall, leaving a crack, he then looks towards Improv, his expression hidden beneath his mask "You alright?" he said looking over his shoulder towards the others as well, to see if everyone else was still in good shape.
"Broke the shoulder bone" Improv winces. "I'll manage. And I'd say we did pretty well, considering."

A short while later, you're back in the lounge upstairs, and Lady Sting gives her explanation:
"There's probably no need to bore you with the publicly-available information about Brick. First generation mutant with super-strength and invulnerability ((first generation means he is himself a mutant; his biological parents are not)), turned to a life of crime at 17, got his first real notoriety at 23 when he killed a superhero during a bank robbery, joined the New Predators five years ago. You can read all that, with a greater level of detail, in his police records.
Now, one thing you need to know about the New Predators is that there's no clear-cut hierarchy, no clear definition of who the leader is. It ends up being a matter of strength. Leadership as changed at least four times in the last five years, and last I heard, their leader was Graviton, with Tsunami coveting his position. So, it's safe to assume Brick used his power-up to beat them up and establish himself as leader.
Now, the New Predators have ties to organized crime all over the city. They may have the firepower, but they lack the connections to make money efficiently. There is no lost love between us and Tsunami - the girl was from the Yakuza back in Japan before Doc Prometheus had her running scared - but Graviton had a few understandings with Lam.
When Brick showed up recently, we already knew he was the new leader of the New Predators, so we suspected he had become stronger. We were holding a minor celebration when he barged in, demanding new, more advantageous deals with Lam. You know the sort - percentages of our income as 'protection', exclusivity of certain work deals for the New Predators, that sort of thing. When Lam protested - as Brick clearly expected - the fight broke out. We weren't expecting Brick to go down easily, but we weren't ready for the power he displayed. He could fly. He had force-fields that blocked all of our attacks. His energy blasts didn't even leave ashes of those he hit. Lam surrendered, and agreed to all of his conditions.
You are, no doubt, wondering where it is that Lam got his new powers. I have been investigating it myself. Obviously, the first idea that occurred to me was that he was a particularly successful experiment of Dr Knack. The good doctor, unfortunately, would neither confirm or deny, and I can't help you find him. There is, however, another lead."
She pauses for a moment. "I have discovered that, on more than one occasion recently, Brick has entered this building" she points at a map. "A building that has been used as a hideout by Golden Dawn in the past, and may still be for all I know. I would suggest investigating that."

((Golden Dawn is the world's premier mystical villainous organization. Don't look too closely for ties to the real-world Golden Dawn.))

Axelgear
2007-11-30, 10:56 AM
Sekhmet just frowns at this information. "Do you have any information on where Brick got his powers?" She blurts out, a bit annoyed that this is just another lead to another place where they will probably fight another bunch of bad guys. The mention of the Golden Dawn fills Sekhmet's heart with worry, as she's not exactly joyous over the idea of standing up to an organization that large when she's only... Her. An organization with that much power at its command could easily ruin her life...

Green Bean
2007-12-01, 11:47 AM
Leshii raised her eyebrows at the mention of Golden Dawn. "So the signs point to mystical interference, do they? Tell me, does the name Kotos ring any bells?"

sun_tzu
2007-12-03, 04:58 PM
"Do you have any information on where Brick got his powers?"

"I can speculate. I know that the powers he displayed seemed...A lot like those of the Avatar, or Upstart. Could be a coincidence, could be something else, but nobody knows the truth about these guys. Upstart's always claimed he was a demigod from another world. The Avatar's always kept his true nature secret.
I'm guessing the power-up was either something mystical linked to those Golden Dawn folks, or something scientific linked to Dr Knack. He's been doing a lot of research into superpowers over the last few years, and he works with the New Predators on occasion.
And no, I'm not going to help you find Dr Knack. He's far too useful to us."

((Upstart, as you might recall, is one of the members of Global Might, arguably the world's premier villain group.))


"So the signs point to mystical interference, do they? Tell me, does the name Kotos ring any bells?"
"Kotos?" She raises an eyebrow. "Never heard of him, I'm afraid."

Green Bean
2007-12-04, 12:04 PM
"Fine. The address, per favore?"

sun_tzu
2007-12-04, 12:12 PM
"Fine. The address, per favore?"

Lady Sting writes it down on a piece of paper and hands it to you. Not too far.
"Any further questions, or may we return to our own business?"

Green Bean
2007-12-04, 12:17 PM
"Go ahead." Leshii flashes Lady Sting an obviously fake smile. "And take care of yourself. Hopefully you didn't set any precedents today."

Axelgear
2007-12-04, 10:58 PM
Sekhmet steps in before the conversation can finish here.

"Wait... Upstart... Do you know where he is or how I could contact him?" She asks, looking hopeful at there being some sort of opportunity to find a clue to her deific origins.

sun_tzu
2007-12-05, 01:17 AM
Sekhmet steps in before the conversation can finish here.

"Wait... Upstart... Do you know where he is or how I could contact him?" She asks, looking hopeful at there being some sort of opportunity to find a clue to her deific origins.

Lady Sting gives you an odd look. "Well, I imagine the best place to find him would be Global Might's headquarters in the Cryosphere. If you meet him, you might be incredibly lucky and have him kill you quickly."

((Yeah. It's a bit like asking where to find Doomsday, or Loki. Upstart's a top-level supervillain.
Of course, Sekhmet's character is supposed to have naiveté as a flaw...:smallbiggrin: ))

Axelgear
2007-12-05, 11:26 PM
Sekhmet frowns at this but shakes her head stubbornly. "He won't. There has to be some common cause here, after all. If Brick feared something greatly enough to take his own life like that, it wasn't going to be an easy thing to pass over... Upstart should at least want to hear me out, right?" She asks, looking about between those assembled.

"...Right?"

sun_tzu
2007-12-06, 06:00 AM
Sekhmet frowns at this but shakes her head stubbornly. "He won't. There has to be some common cause here, after all. If Brick feared something greatly enough to take his own life like that, it wasn't going to be an easy thing to pass over... Upstart should at least want to hear me out, right?" She asks, looking about between those assembled.

"...Right?"

"I doubt it" says Improv. "I've never met Upstart personally, but from what I know, your odds of survival would be slim. If you actually got to meet him at all, which would be a big enough challenge in itself."

((I mean, it's the Cryosphere. That place is like the Rogue Isles. For those unfamiliar with City of Villains, imagine Latveria if the Society of Supervillains lived there.))

Axelgear
2007-12-06, 08:51 PM
Sekhmet puzzles this over in her mind. "But there has to be SOME way of communicating with him, right? I mean, the Cryosphere isn't totally cut off from society or we'd not know anything about what goes on inside." She posits, trying to think of a way to get in contact with Upstart. "After all, even bad guys don't want to destroy the world. Where else would they keep their stuff?"

Green Bean
2007-12-06, 09:00 PM
Leshii puts her hand on Sekhmet's shoulder. "Tell you what; once this whole Golden Dawn thing is finished, we'll put our heads together to find a way to get in touch with the baddies. But for now, we've got some wrinkled, bearded men and young, scantily clad women to question."

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-12-06, 09:40 PM
Powerhouse nodded along listening to the others, shaking his head at some parts. He looked towards Leshii at her previous comment to Lady Sting and grumbled something.

"The Stretcher's right, we should get going..." he said getting up from the table and turning around towards Lady Sting, lowering his head slightly

"Thank you for the information...We shall not trouble this location again anytime soon" he said lifting his head back up towards her

"Should we meet on the street, in battle...I can promise that I will be a far more honorable opponent than your former employer..." he said looking back towards the others

"If there's nothing else...we should go see the wannabe Merlin's and what's in their magic hats" he said, assuming the others were ready, he would leave, with a nod towards the new gang leader, and his eyes looking across her briefly, unseen beneath his helmet

sun_tzu
2007-12-07, 04:34 AM
Sekhmet puzzles this over in her mind. "But there has to be SOME way of communicating with him, right? I mean, the Cryosphere isn't totally cut off from society or we'd not know anything about what goes on inside." She posits, trying to think of a way to get in contact with Upstart. "After all, even bad guys don't want to destroy the world. Where else would they keep their stuff?"

((As to the Cryosphere...No phone lines, and Professor Cryo has Overseer (ruthless AI originally used by the KGB) watching to make sure no sensitive information is leaked through the Internet. The Cryosphere isn't completely cut off from the rest of the world, but it's close - except, of course, for the villains who come and go as they please.))

((Beside that. Shall we move the action to the next spot?))

Green Bean
2007-12-07, 10:49 AM
((Ready whenever you are.))

Mick_the_Rogue
2007-12-07, 11:15 AM
((Givwn that school is done for me for the next 4 weeks, bring on the superheroing!!!!))

Zarthrax
2007-12-07, 03:32 PM
((Go right ahead.))

sun_tzu
2007-12-07, 04:14 PM
As your group heads toward the Golden Dawn building, Improv muses on what has happened.
"I have to admit I wasn't expecting the trick Lady Sting pulled back there. Risky gambit, but it worked - I just can't see her not becoming the new mountain Master now. Guess that makes her the mobster to watch out for now.
I can't say I'm looking forward to facing Golden Dawn, if it's really them. I usually count on Dr Hex for mystical stuff."
You reach the building. From the looks of it, you're guessing the place used to be a motel a long time ago. Right now, the building doesn't look too good.

Green Bean
2007-12-07, 04:28 PM
Leshii shifted back to her earlier form after she was sure none of the mobsters can see. "Good point. Is there any way we can make it tougher for her to consolidate her power? Spread some rumours, make it look like the deal we made went beyond some one-time information?"

((At the Hideout))

"I have to admit, if someone asked me to picture a wizard's hideout, this would be pretty much the exact opposite."

sun_tzu
2007-12-07, 06:27 PM
Leshii shifted back to her earlier form after she was sure none of the mobsters can see. "Good point. Is there any way we can make it tougher for her to consolidate her power? Spread some rumours, make it look like the deal we made went beyond some one-time information?"

"Judging from what we just saw, I suspect she might be better at this game than us. But, I'll definitely tell both the police and my contacts to watch her closely."


((At the Hideout))

"I have to admit, if someone asked me to picture a wizard's hideout, this would be pretty much the exact opposite."

"Heh. Well, Golden Dawn has seen better days..."

((I haven't gotten into the details of this yet, but, not all that long ago (a year? Something like that), Golden Dawn committed the tragic mistake of picking a fight with Global Might. It was a massacre - for all their mystical power, Global Might decimated them all across the globe. It's estimated that half their members were killed before Global Might stopped - and the experts have theorized that Global Might only stopped because Professor Cryo told them to. Golden Dawn are his main magic-oriented allies.))

Axelgear
2007-12-07, 10:06 PM
"Well, Father Time really took a bat to this place..." Sekhmet says with a frown, eyes scanning the building, glowing blue for a moment, tracing their way along the walls slowly as if looking for some trace of anything suspicious.

Hurray for X-Ray Vision!

sun_tzu
2007-12-08, 02:16 PM
"Well, Father Time really took a bat to this place..." Sekhmet says with a frown, eyes scanning the building, glowing blue for a moment, tracing their way along the walls slowly as if looking for some trace of anything suspicious.

Hurray for X-Ray Vision!

The place looks almost as bad on the inside as the outside. Mostly empty...Except for one room on the second floor. Plenty of what looks like mystical paraphernalia, including some kind of big symbol drawn on the floor with some powder, and three guys in cloaks sitting around it.

Axelgear
2007-12-08, 04:05 PM
Sekhmet frowns at something and then quickly hovers into the air, looking at the group and uttering a quick "I'll be right back!" before dashing up through the air towards the building. This hurried flight has a stutter or two, where she dips in the air but she finds her footing quickly.

If the building has windows/no visible security, Sekhmet goes the most direct and visible path towards this room. If it has a security system, she goes to the front door. If they're not willing to let her in, she flies up and goes through the wall.

Zarthrax
2007-12-08, 06:51 PM
"I have to admit, if someone asked me to picture a wizard's hideout, this would be pretty much the exact opposite."

FX quirks his head. "Why would you say that? Granted, magic types can make you give them your money, but you can't patent really useful spells. That's your main money maker right there. Other people needing your stuff to make their stuff. Logically, all magic types live in Motel 6s."

Green Bean
2007-12-08, 07:50 PM
FX quirks his head. "Why would you say that? Granted, magic types can make you give them your money, but you can't patent really useful spells. That's your main money maker right there. Other people needing your stuff to make their stuff. Logically, all magic types live in Motel 6s."

"Yeah, but they're magical. Can't they just wave their hands and conjure up a giant evil tower or something?"

Zarthrax
2007-12-08, 08:32 PM
"Not unless they're VERY high powered. I don't care how much they may subscribe to non-Euclidean geometry. The laws of physics require a lot of energy to break, no matter where you get the energy from."

sun_tzu
2007-12-09, 12:17 PM
"Not unless they're VERY high powered. I don't care how much they may subscribe to non-Euclidean geometry. The laws of physics require a lot of energy to break, no matter where you get the energy from."

((Fascinating how much FX knows about how magic works in the setting. Despite, you know, my not going into details about it at any point.:smallamused: ))


Sekhmet frowns at something and then quickly hovers into the air, looking at the group and uttering a quick "I'll be right back!" before dashing up through the air towards the building. This hurried flight has a stutter or two, where she dips in the air but she finds her footing quickly.

((Er...From the given text, you first try the door? I think?))
The front door appears to be locked.