PDA

View Full Version : Exalted 2nd Ed: What changes?

Indon
2007-05-30, 04:36 PM
I've been running a game in 1'st edition Exalted and I was wondering what precisely is different in the second edition? I know that they use a couple different abilities (don't ask me what), but aside from that, what's up with the system (and how easy would conversion be)?

Rad
2007-05-30, 05:11 PM
Ironically, I have the second edition and was wondering what the differences with the first would be, mainly for using some of the old material.

I'm also afraid that we should move this thread to the general gaming forum, since this is not d20. :smalltongue:

EDIT: My bad, I'll learn to read next time I post... sorry

Kurobara
2007-05-30, 05:13 PM
A few ability changes, but mostly a significantly more streamlined combat system, the addition of systems for social and mass combat, and an overhaul of most of the charms.

Tengu
2007-05-30, 05:17 PM
I'm also afraid that we should move this thread to the general gaming forum, since this is not d20. :smalltongue:

Nope.

This subforum is called "D20 and general RPG". It's for all kinds of pencil-and-paper RPG.

And, needless to say, the more threads about non-d20 RPGs the better, opens the minds of some folks and shows them that RPG != d20.

Indon
2007-05-30, 05:41 PM
A few ability changes, but mostly a significantly more streamlined combat system, the addition of systems for social and mass combat, and an overhaul of most of the charms.

So pretty much just mechanics touchups? Any change to the plot, then?

Ravyn
2007-05-30, 05:56 PM
Go Tengu. Bad enough that we get so many general situation threads that are titled so as to be D&D-specific...

The combat, while not requiring rolls for defenses could be considered "streamlining", appears to me to be considerably more complicated; 2nd Edition, among other things, implements a tick system rather than round by round fighting (much more complicated, and I still haven't made sense of how that applies to Charms), ups the power on almost everything tremendously, adds a social combat system which is at least as complicated as the physical combat and slightly sillier (I mean, really, soaking with Appearance?), folds all unarmed combat into Martial Arts (one side effect of this is that Brawl trees are now Martial Arts. ....meaning DBs with Celestial initiation having access to Abyssal blood chains. Maidens, no.), and turns Endurance and Resistance into one Ability. In addition, it creates a conditional modifier for perfect defenses (all right in concept, silly in practice).

Off the battlefield, I'm rather impressed by some of the changes--the fluff is just plain pretty, the Motivations a good idea if a tad badly implemented, and they do the Lunars right, both fluff- and crunch-wise. I'm less than impressed by a lot of the other stuff, though; the martial arts are a tad overpowered (particularly White Veil, which while it has the most amusing flavortext I think I've seen on an MA yet really should be a Celestial MA, and Laughing Wounds, the Lover Clad's Dominatrix Fu, which is... ludicrous is the safest word for it.) It's pretty easy to retrofit the stuff that works, though; I've got a nice little Nightingale Style rewrite if you need it, among other things, and I'm going to be attacking 1st Edition Lunars again once my schedule settles down.

The Charms are a rather mixed bag--I am... rather less than impressed, let's put it that way. Particularly by some of the things I saw or didn't see in the Sidereal listing in the Storyteller's Companion. (Whose bright idea was it to include Neighborhood Relocation Scheme and not Trouble Reduction Strategy or Avoidance Kata, anyway?)

(Needless to say, I'm not fond of 2E.)

Further questions?

(Edit: Yeah, aside from Lunar social experiments and the Lover doing inventive things with warstriders, the world's pretty much the same.)

aaron_the_cow
2007-05-30, 06:44 PM
better orginised from my POV. also hase a easyer bard.