PDA

View Full Version : Retain Essence and the Deck of Many Thing

Guinea Anubis
2007-05-30, 09:11 PM
So how much Exp would you suck out of a Deck of Many Things with Retain Essence?

Arbitrarity
2007-05-30, 09:24 PM
None. It cost no XP to craft, and has no price.

If you're really bored, roll 500-10D% or something.

de-trick
2007-05-30, 09:51 PM
funny story about the deck one time we drew cards and the one card the stupid Minotaur with an 8 int drew the fool card

aaron_the_cow
2007-05-30, 10:07 PM
funny story about the deck one time we drew cards and the one card the stupid Minotaur with an 8 int drew the fool card

Whaaaaa?????
dose that like lower int of somthing?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-05-30, 10:22 PM
According to the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#deckofManyThings), you loose 10,000 xp and MUST draw again if you draw the Fool. It's the Idiot who drops your Int by 1d4+1.

Guinea Anubis
2007-05-30, 11:05 PM
None. It cost no XP to craft, and has no price.

If you're really bored, roll 500-10D% or something.

thats what I thought

Stephen_E
2007-05-31, 08:51 PM
Read the rules for Retain Essense.

You have to have the item creation feat for the item you want to drain.
Decks of Many Things are Minor Artifacts.
So when your Artificer has the feat "Create Minor Artifact" come back and ask.

Stephen

Mad Wizard
2007-05-31, 10:07 PM
IIRC, Create Artifact is actually a divine salient ability. Good luck with that.

Edit: From D20srd:

Craft Artifact

Prerequisites
Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Rod, Craft Staff, Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Item, Forge Ring, Scribe Scroll.

Benefit
The deity can craft magic arms and armor, staffs, wands, wondrous items, rings, and scrolls that exceed the normal limits for such items

Suggested Portfolio Elements
Crafts, knowledge, magic.

JackMage666
2007-05-31, 10:24 PM
I once killed a Dread Wraith at 5th level thanks to the Deck of Many Things. Pulled it out in the middle of the town, in borad daylight. The thing couldn't attack me til night, so I sent a friend with all my money to buy a Greater Arrow of Slaying (Undead), and shot the bugger. Good times.

de-trick
2007-05-31, 10:37 PM
sorry in knew it was something like that but was awhile ago

PMDM
2007-05-31, 11:07 PM
I love the deck of many things. It generates plot hooks like nothing else. Plus, the losses preety much equal the gains, so I never think that the deck is stacked against me. Although, I have to admit, I change the deck a little. In order to balance out the Star (+2 to any stat), I took out the idiot, and made the fool take away 2 points from your highest stat, along with it's 10000 point penalty.

Helgraf
2007-05-31, 11:07 PM
I once killed a Dread Wraith at 5th level thanks to the Deck of Many Things. Pulled it out in the middle of the town, in borad daylight. The thing couldn't attack me til night, so I sent a friend with all my money to buy a Greater Arrow of Slaying (Undead), and shot the bugger. Good times.

You do realize that doesn't work?

Con -.

DOesn't have to make Fort saves unless they also affect objects. Arrows of Slaying don't affect objects.

JackMage666
2007-05-31, 11:26 PM
Slaying Arrow
This +1 arrow is keyed to a particular type or subtype of creature. If it strikes such a creature, the target must make a DC 20 Fortitude save or die (or, in the case of unliving targets, be destroyed) instantly. Note that even creatures normally exempt from Fortitude saves (undead and constructs) are subject to this attack. When keyed to a living creature, this is a death effect (and thus death ward protects a target). To determine the type or subtype of creature the arrow is keyed to, roll on the table below.

A greater slaying arrow functions just like a normal slaying arrow, but the DC to avoid the death effect is 23.
Emphasis added.

Slain! The Con - only helps the odds, due to low Fort saves. Arrows of Slaying vs Undead and Constructs are almost surefire kills.