PDA

View Full Version : Revised Spells and Additions

RelentlessImp
2007-05-30, 10:22 PM
I find myself missing some spells, and being the arcane spellcasting freak that I am, I took it upon myself to bring some spells back up to the 3.5 standard. Below are some of my favorite spells from previous editions.

Chromatic Orb
Evocation [Force]
Components: V, S
Level: [Arcane Spellcaster Class] 1
Range: Close (25 ft + 5ft/level)
Targets: One
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Special (see description)
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell causes a 2-foot diameter sphere to appear in the caster's hand. When thrown, the sphere heads unerringly to its target. The effect the orb has upon the target varies with the spellcaster's level. Each orb will do damage to the target (no save) and an effect against which the target must save.
1st: 1d4 force damage, Blind for one round (Will negates)
2nd: 1d4 force damage, -2 to attack, saves, and skill checks for 1d10 minutes (Will negates)
3rd: 1d6 fire damage, -4 to attack, saves, skill checks for 2d6 minutes. (Will negates)
4th: 1d6 force damage, Blind for encounter (Will negates)
5th: 1d8 force damage, stun for 1d4 rounds (Will negates)
6th: 1d8 negative energy damage, -4 strength (Fort negates)
7th: 1d10 negative energy damage, Paralyze for 2d6 rounds (Fort negates)
10th: 1d12 acid damage, Petrified (Fort negates)
12th: 2d8 negative energy damage, death (Fortitude negates)

Note: The different effects are not cumulative; a higher level damage and secondary effect replace the lower-level one.

(More to come as I update)

RelentlessImp
2007-05-30, 10:56 PM
Summon Undead VI
Necromancy
Components: V, S, M/DF
Level: Wiz/Sorc 6, Cleric 6
Range: Close (25 ft + 5ft/level)
Targets: n/a
Saving Throw: n/a
Casting Time: 1 round
Spell Resistance: n/a

This spell functions like summon undead I, but the caster may choose to summon 1 creature from 6th level list (see below), 2 from the 5th level list, 3 from the 4th level list, or four of the same kind from lower level lists.

Summon Undead VI List:
Vampire
Mummy Lord
(other suggestions for this list welcome, as I seem to have problems finding undead creatures to fill it)

Focus: A tiny bag, small candle (not lit), and a carved bone from any humanoid.
Edit: Changed to Summon Undead VI (just going to expand the spells, since Necromancy seems to just have been... murdered brutally in 3.5)

Reinboom
2007-05-30, 10:59 PM
Summon Undead came back already. You may wish to see the Spell Compendium as a spellcasting freak.:smallwink:

This'll make your life easier:
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/spells

RelentlessImp
2007-05-30, 11:03 PM
Summon Undead VII
Necromancy
Level: Wiz/Sor 7, Cleric 7
Range: Close (25 ft + 5ft/2 levels)
Targets: 5-ft square
Spell Resistance: No

This functions as summon undead I, but the caster may choose to summon one creature from the 7th-level list (see below), two of the same type from the 6th-level list, three of the same type from the 5th-level list, or 4 or more of the same type from any list below 5th.

Summon Undead VII List:
Elite Vampire
(Suggestions welcome)

Dhavaer
2007-05-30, 11:05 PM
Petrification and Death are much too powerful to put in a first level spell. Probably paralysis as well. It might be a good idea to cut chromatic orb off at 6th level.

RelentlessImp
2007-05-30, 11:06 PM
Summon Undead came back already. You may wish to see the Spell Compendium as a spellcasting freak.:smallwink:

This'll make your life easier:
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/spells

I have seen those spells. They have poor choices for undead summoned, often not in line with the level of the spellcaster that may cast said spells.

RelentlessImp
2007-05-30, 11:28 PM
Petrification and Death are much too powerful to put in a first level spell. Probably paralysis as well. It might be a good idea to cut chromatic orb off at 6th level.

That's probably one reason why it never made it to 3.5. Not even the weak, weak DC on the spell could possibly balance that out. I think a change of Paralysis, Petrification, and Death to Fatigued, Exhausted, and Paralysis, to 1d6, 2d4 and 1d8 rounds might even it out. Thoughts?

RelentlessImp
2007-05-31, 12:02 AM
Summon Undead VIII
Necromancy
Level: Wiz/Sor 7, Cleric 7

This functions as summon undead I, but the caster may choose to summon one creature from the 8th-level list (see below), two of the same type from the 7th-level list, three of the same type from the 6th-level list, or 4 or more of the same type from any list below 6th.

Summon Undead VIII List:
Nightwing
(Suggestions welcome)

RelentlessImp
2007-05-31, 12:06 AM
Summon Undead IX
Necromancy
Level: Wiz/Sor 9, Cleric 9

This functions as summon undead I, but the caster may choose to summon one creature from the 9th-level list (see below), two of the same type from the 8th-level list, three of the same type from the 7th-level list, or 4 or more of the same type from any list below 7th.

Summon Undead IX List:
Nightwalker
(Suggestions welcome)

RelentlessImp
2007-05-31, 12:12 AM
Decided just to expand on the Summon Undead line, as it only goes to 5. Might be a mite powerful, might not... but why should a Wiz/Sorc or Cleric be penalized for enjoying Necromancy more than generic monster-summoning spells? Also, the undead might be a bit powerful; if there are any foreseeable problems with these, let me know. Will be hunting for others to update (and when I remember others I miss from older editions).