PDA

View Full Version : Bladesinger Build Advice (crazy rolled stats, level 3, one magic item, etc)

Socko525
2015-11-13, 04:29 PM
So the dice gods have smiled upon me once again and I find my rolls being some of the best I've ever had:
18, 17, 16, 14, 14, 10.

This is a homemade campaign a friend of mine is running, so here's a few things to note:

Starting at level 3
Each character starts with 1 uncommon magic item of their choosing
EE and SCAG are allowed
Players get background items/gold, starting equipment and max starting wealth + some bonus gold-Totals to 210 for me all things considered.

I recognize that there are better classes and that my stats allow me the ability to choose whichever I like, but I just really want to play a Bladesinger.

My DM has removed the Elf only restriction, so I've decided to go with Feral Winged Tiefling (which has been approved).

I'm torn on magic item/ability breakout/feats/potential multiclass.
I was thinking my ability scores would be something like this with Race bonuses (in order):

10, 18, 18, 18, 14, 14 or possibly 10, 20, 16, 18, 14, 14

I'm leaning more towards the 2nd set and planning to raise my Intelligence to 20 at level 4.

I was contemplating taking a Rapier of Warning as my magic item so I can get most of the benefits or the Alert feat without having to use an ASI (and bonus giving it to friends)...thoughts?

I was all set, but today I started thinking about the option of multiclassing and starting as either a fighter or barbarian for 1 level. This would net me Con saves, more health, and better skill choices. Fighter would get me a limited heal in second wind and a fighting style (I'm thinking duelist for the extra damage, but defense could boost my AC while wearing armor). If I went Barbarian I'd have to move my 14 to in Charisma to Strength which is less than optimal, but it'd give me an 18 starting AC with no armor, and Rage as a panic button.

Thoughts? I don't often ask for help with builds these days, but I figured what the hell. If anything it gives me the opportunity to show off my sweet ability score rolls :smalltongue:

HarrisonF
2015-11-14, 10:23 PM
What level are you playing to? Dipping for level 1 will be painful at a few level points, like 3,5,7,9. If you are only playing for a few, then I woudln't dip.

I wouldn't do barbarian, but fighter can be good if you are more martial oriented.

What are the other classes in your party?

For uncommon magic items, weapon of warning is definitely good. There are other fun options too, such as some of the 19 attribute items (if you know you can get them, you dump that stat). Other options could be goggles of night (120' darkvision can be real nice), winged boots (if you want to not be a winged tiefling), or a wand of web (that is a lot of level 2 spells at third level).

djreynolds
2015-11-15, 12:38 AM
How about paladin 6/BS 14? You have the stats to do as you please. Could be interesting. Just need a 13 in strength. Max out charisma, dex, and intelligence. Now you will have great saves to.

Socko525
2015-11-15, 03:48 AM
What level are you playing to? Dipping for level 1 will be painful at a few level points, like 3,5,7,9. If you are only playing for a few, then I woudln't dip.

I wouldn't do barbarian, but fighter can be good if you are more martial oriented.

What are the other classes in your party?

For uncommon magic items, weapon of warning is definitely good. There are other fun options too, such as some of the 19 attribute items (if you know you can get them, you dump that stat). Other options could be goggles of night (120' darkvision can be real nice), winged boots (if you want to not be a winged tiefling), or a wand of web (that is a lot of level 2 spells at third level).

I agree with multiclassing, it's always rough to dip, especially in this edition. Right now the plan is to go to around level 17.

Classes that have been confirmed are: Arcane Trickster and DM allowed the Witch Hunter, so the Profane Soul Witch hunter.

How about paladin 6/BS 14? You have the stats to do as you please. Could be interesting. Just need a 13 in strength. Max out charisma, dex, and intelligence. Now you will have great saves to.

The thought has crossed my mind. I just finished playing a paladin in another campaign, so I was just looking to try something different.

djreynolds
2015-11-15, 04:48 AM
I agree with multiclassing, it's always rough to dip, especially in this edition. Right now the plan is to go to around level 17.

Classes that have been confirmed are: Arcane Trickster and DM allowed the Witch Hunter, so the Profane Soul Witch hunter.

The thought has crossed my mind. I just finished playing a paladin in another campaign, so I was just looking to try something different.

Everyone is yelling eldritch knight and bladesinger. I don't get it. Aside from con saves, action surge, fighting style and weapon bond-- which is a lot... you don't get anymore for a wizard after 3 levels.

Bladesinger does not, cannot use a shield. For now, no TWF. That leaves you duelist and defense. Those are good.
Weapon bond, you don't need this. You have one free hand anyhow.
Con saves are great, but you do get the ability to add your intelligence modifier to concentration checks and that will be +5 soon for you. But you get wisdom saves and that may be more beneficial to you. And you can always grab resilient con, just like the fighter would grab resilient wisdom after failing hold person saves.

So for me, fighter nabs you con saves and action surge. And anything after 3 is a waste because they are 1/3rd casters and you may lose out on that 9th level spell.

Now arcane trickster is nice. Expertise is skills like arcana or history could be very useful to your party. Cunning action, yes, gets you out of trouble.

Well I will love to see your build and what you are aiming to see made. A fighting wizard, or a wizard who can hold his own when he has to.

Socko525
2015-11-15, 05:28 AM
Yeah I wasn't planning in going all the way to eldritch knight. Up until a few days ago the plan was bladesinger all the way and never looking back.

My potential multiclassing thoughts were being based around a 1 level dip. Something to boost surviability. Here's what my breakdown looked like at level 3 (snice that's where we're starting):

1 barb/2 bladesinger:
Str-14
Dex-20
Con-16
Int-18
Wis-14
Cha-10

AC-18 (no armor thanks to unarmored defense)
HP-29
Con saves

That's it really. I'd have rage, but a rapier and spellcasting don't mix with rage. It wouldn't be a bad panic button for the resistances though.

Fighter 1/bladesinger 2

Str-10
Dex-20
Con-16
Int-18
Wis-14
Cha-14

AC-17 (with studded leather, 18 if defense fighting style)
HP-27
Con saves
+2 damage if I go duelist

Second wind isn't going to be great for me, but it's still a free heal.

As far as what I'm going for concept-wise, I'm looking more for the wizard who can hold their own if it comes to melee. I was thinking of grabbing spells that help with survivability too: shield, absorb elments, mirror image, etc.

Malifice
2015-11-15, 09:30 PM
So the dice gods have smiled upon me once again and I find my rolls being some of the best I've ever had:
18, 17, 16, 14, 14, 10.

This is a homemade campaign a friend of mine is running, so here's a few things to note:

Starting at level 3
EE and SCAG are allowed
Players get background items/gold, starting equipment and max starting wealth + some bonus gold-Totals to 210 for me all things considered.

Race: High Elf

S: 14
D: 18 (20)
C: 16
I: 17 (18)
W: 10
Ch: 14

For an item take either (cloak of protection) or (winged boots).

Final build is: Paladin 2/ Bladesinger 15 / Sorcerer 3

Currently you should be Paladin 1 (your first level) / Bladesinger 2.

Equipment is: studded leather armor, Longbow, Rapier, Spell component pouch, potions of healing, other crap.

Your AC is 17. While bladesinging it's 21. (26 with sheild). Add another +1 from the cloak if you go that route.

Next level you want to be a Paladin 2/ Wizard 2 (for fighting style [defence or duelling] and the all important divine smite). Then it's back to bladesinger for 4 more levels (more spell slots, a feat [I suggest warcaster], extra attack) then dip sorcerer for 3 levels [metamagic - quicken is important] then back to Wizard for the rest.

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-16, 08:20 AM
18, 17, 16, 14, 14, 10.

Starting at level 3
EE and SCAG are allowed

I recognize that there are better classes and that my stats allow me the ability to choose whichever I like, but I just really want to play a Bladesinger.

My DM has removed the Elf only restriction, so I've decided to go with Feral Winged Tiefling (which has been approved).

I'm torn on magic item/ability breakout/feats/potential multiclass.
I was thinking my ability scores would be something like this with Race bonuses (in order):

10, 18, 18, 18, 14, 14 or possibly 10, 20, 16, 18, 14, 14

I'm leaning more towards the 2nd set and planning to raise my Intelligence to 20 at level 4.

I was contemplating taking a Rapier of Warning as my magic item so I can get most of the benefits or the Alert feat without having to use an ASI (and bonus giving it to friends)...thoughts?

I was all set, but today I started thinking about the option of multiclassing and starting as either a fighter or barbarian for 1 level. This would net me Con saves, more health, and better skill choices. Fighter would get me a limited heal in second wind and a fighting style (I'm thinking duelist for the extra damage, but defense could boost my AC while wearing armor). If I went Barbarian I'd have to move my 14 to in Charisma to Strength which is less than optimal, but it'd give me an 18 starting AC with no armor, and Rage as a panic button.

Thoughts? I don't often ask for help with builds these days, but I figured what the hell. If anything it gives me the opportunity to show off my sweet ability score rolls :smalltongue:

20 dex, 1 level dueling fighter dip, you have the bladesinger you want.