PDA

View Full Version : Player Focus (LMoP Spoilers!)

Ardantis
2015-11-13, 07:13 PM
So... my players (students at the school where I teach) just completed the second encounter in "The Lost Mine of Phandelver," which was the Goblin Hideout.

(Spoilers!)

We had a grand old time, defeating goblins, rescuing Sildar Hallwinter and facing the ultimate showdown with the bugbear Klarg, whom they lured out to the mouth of the cave with his retinue and defeated with missile weapons and a trap.

Now that we've defeated him, however, the party is not focused on the plot leading to Phandalin (as I had expected) but with the golden frog idol which they found in Klarg's chest.

They are convinced that the frog idol is either outrageously valuable (it's worth 40 gp), or somehow magical and important. There have been attempts by the Fighter to pickpocket the Rogue (who has the item), and even a plot between the Fighter and Wizard to off the Rogue.

In shorts, lots of infighting. It doesn't help that the Rogue and Fighter are brothers, and naturally antagonistic towards each other.

How do I get the party to focus appropriately, or at the very least, resolve the fracas over the golden frog?

My one idea so far was to get the Wizard to cast Detect Magic on the frog.

Does the Playground have anything better?

Toadkiller
2015-11-13, 07:19 PM
Tell them out of character "the frog is just a fancy way of giving you gold. Don't get distracted by it, really." It's just a game, it's ok to push them past obstacles.

Tanarii
2015-11-13, 07:29 PM
Doesn't handling an item tell you if and what it's magic is?

Anyway, why not tie the frog into the plot somehow? Explain that it's latent magic that can only be activated blah blah something related to the plot. Make working together important here, and more to the point make it clear there's no point in offing someone for the frog when it's still a latent power.

Sigreid
2015-11-13, 09:11 PM
The easy way would be to have the frog god come to them in a dream and put them on course.

Flashy
2015-11-13, 09:16 PM
The easy way would be to have the frog god come to them in a dream and put them on course.

I really, really love the idea of a god appearing to a group of people in a dream to tell them that the statuette of him they stole is basically worthless.

Sigreid
2015-11-13, 09:17 PM
I really, really love the idea of a god appearing to a group of people in a dream to tell them that the statuette of him they stole is basically worthless.

Well, the "god" in their dream could very easily be a pixie having some fun with them...

burninatortrog
2015-11-13, 09:34 PM
Sounds like your players are begging to go on a different adventure! (https://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/labyrinth-lord-challenge-of-the-frog-idol/)

Thrudd
2015-11-13, 09:45 PM
So... my players (students at the school where I teach) just completed the second encounter in "The Lost Mine of Phandelver," which was the Goblin Hideout.

(Spoilers!)

We had a grand old time, defeating goblins, rescuing Sildar Hallwinter and facing the ultimate showdown with the bugbear Klarg, whom they lured out to the mouth of the cave with his retinue and defeated with missile weapons and a trap.

Now that we've defeated him, however, the party is not focused on the plot leading to Phandalin (as I had expected) but with the golden frog idol which they found in Klarg's chest.

They are convinced that the frog idol is either outrageously valuable (it's worth 40 gp), or somehow magical and important. There have been attempts by the Fighter to pickpocket the Rogue (who has the item), and even a plot between the Fighter and Wizard to off the Rogue.

In shorts, lots of infighting. It doesn't help that the Rogue and Fighter are brothers, and naturally antagonistic towards each other.

How do I get the party to focus appropriately, or at the very least, resolve the fracas over the golden frog?

My one idea so far was to get the Wizard to cast Detect Magic on the frog.

Does the Playground have anything better?

Let them do whatever they do. Eventually, someone will ask to examine the thing or have it valued and learn that it is just a lump of regular gold, and then they'll all feel silly about how they reacted. Have you not had the wizard roll an arcana check, or someone roll int or history or religion? They'll get there eventually.
Next time, they will wait to value and identify their treasures before jumping to conclusions. It's a part of the learning process of being a player, and they're still having fun plotting against eachother in the meantime.

downlobot
2015-11-13, 10:41 PM
Do they have factions? If yes, you could have Sildar come down on them as a faction rep with essentially 'the factions are putting aside their differences - you must do the same.' i.e. give them an in-game person who lays down a 'no pvp' rule for them.

But if the in game tension stays in game and they're all having fun, I'd let them play it out - help them escalate wherever possible. Until they eventually find out it's just a piece of gold.

Ardantis
2015-11-14, 05:28 AM
So it sounds like there are three camps:

1- Gently refocus them on the plot

The implication here being that they *should* be playing the plot

2- Run with the frog thing

The assumption here being that its *their* game, and that they can choose a new adventure path if they want to

3- Let it play out

The assumption being that its completely natural for new players to want to PvP, just let it play out and don't let it get out of hand.

Here's my take:

My players are in middle school. I use the starter adventure because its perfectly calibrated to the needs of new players in terms of difficulty of play, level of imagination, and amount of stuff to remember.

In regards to point 1, I have a hard time railroading, even though the starter adventure basically calls for it at this stage. I will not in-game demand my players sit down focus on the main story, because they are still assimilating all of the information about the game and the world and the characters and the plot.

As far as point 2, however, I will not make up a new adventure which my green players would not be able to figure out and play, as they are still trying to come to terms with the starter adventure. I don't want to wander too far off the beaten path, even though my players are already wandering on their own. I would seriously consider this option for a more experienced team with the same issues, though.

So we're left with point 3. The only admonishment I've given them is that it's "frowned upon" to kill other players- a boundary which they've respected. We also only play once a month- giving me plenty of time to let this play out, and to let their curiousity grow about other aspects of the story of which they are aware.

So it looks like point 3, at this stage. We have a month until our next session, so I can afford to let things play out and to see where my players stand after some time has passed.

I really appreciate the opinions of everyone in this thread.

Logosloki
2015-11-14, 07:01 AM
If they think the idol is important, use the idol to get them back to where the module leads. Also, have a talk with the fighter, tell them that you would prefer to run a co-operative game rather than a player vs player game. Nip that in the bud now whilst it is still just pickpocketing before it goes further.

Unless you want to them to take the statue to the grove of the frog god and have a little mini-session there, bring in some bullywugs and some other amphibians, have a fat frog king grossly sitting on a pile of twigs and slime and tattered cloth that claims is his throne. Then use that plot to put them back on the tracks.

Safety Sword
2015-11-14, 04:10 PM
Hey look! All of these people wrestling over this frog idol has dislodged a tiny secret panel in the base which no one noticed before.

Inside is small folded piece of paper. As the paper is unfolded it starts to become clear that this is what Klarrrrrrrrrrg (renamed after his death gurgle) didn't want you to find. It has a list of names (plot hooks), a ledger (plot hook) or a map (plot hook).

ChelseaNH
2015-11-14, 05:38 PM
Ask them how they want to investigate the idol. If they want to do research, then consulting with knowledgeable experts would cost money, and they have a payday waiting for them in Phandalin. Once they get to town, there are some NPCs who can explain the idol's true (lack of) worth.

If they get so wrapped up with possessing the idol, consider letting them fight it out so they can deal with the unpleasant consequences. It might mean rolling up some new characters and starting again. As much as we'd like kids to learn from other people's experience (like our own), there's nothing like screwing it up yourself for learning what not to do.