PDA

View Full Version : The Approximate Length of the Battle between Soon and Xykon

Porthos
2007-05-31, 12:41 AM
I know I said I wasn't going to try and do this in the Discussion Thread, but what can I say? I just failed my Save vs Geeking Out. :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

I want to see just how long the battle between Xykon and Soon lasted and see if it is at all possible with the timeline that we know. At every single step of the way, I will try and take the lowest number possible, but leave comments on where it could be longer:

# of rounds the Xykon/Soon battle lasted between Comic #449 and #459:

Premise: As we can see in Comic #449 (Hinjo seeing that Xykon has entered the room) and Comic #450 (Tsukiko is firing upon the battlements) and Comic #451 (Redcloak gets word that Belkar [from 450] is going crazy on the battlefield] that all of these comics take place more or less at the same time. While a few rounds have surely passed (like the two rounds later comment in #450), these comics aren't being seen out of sequence.... at least not enough to matter.

At the very least, we are not jumping back in time by a couple of minutes. So, to make things as simple as possible, I am going to say with this timeline that Redcloak summoned his Fiendish Mammoth just as Soon was appearing. It requires Comic #450 to be two or three rounds in the past, but that's allowable because it still gives time for Tsukiko to turn traitor:

1) Rounds for the Fiendish Mammoth to cross the Battlefield: 4-5 (max of approx 18 rounds)

Looking at the scale, and factoring in the range of Heavy Catapults (200' range increments), I am going to put Redcloak about 600 feet away from the Castle Walls. This is hugely debateable, of course, and I admit that it is just My Wild Assed Guess. The Fiendish Mammoth can Quad Move at 160. However, the Hobgobins (as long as they aren't in Heavy Armor) can only move at 120 (x4 run speed). And the Mammoth was seen keeping pace with them, so it obviously wasn't using its full Quad Move every turn.

This is one of the biggest factors on the time. If they are more than 600 feet away, then it takes more than 5 rounds for them to travel the distance. At the most, they can be 2200 feet away (10 range increments for a Heavy Catapult).

If people think they are farther away than 600 feet, I won't quibble. :smallbiggrin:

2) Time to cross the courtyard and enter the inner gate: 2 rounds

This looks like a simple Double Move to me, which for a Fiendish Mammoth would be 80 feet per round. Depending on how wide the courtyard was, it might have only been 1 round. But that's what margin of error is for. :smallbiggrin:

3) Time to fight the High Cleric of Azure City: 5 rounds

Redcloak could have dismounted as a Free Action, if he made a DC 20 Ride Check. But he doesn't seem the type to have put any ranks into that skill. So a Move action to dismount and a Move action to approach the High Priest. The battle itself takes four rounds, so the total here is five rounds. I think I can say this fairly certainly.

4) Approaching the Tower: 3 rounds

Presuming that he cast the Chlorine Elemental spell right after the battle (1 round), he still got off one spell on a random Azure City Cleric, and cast Blade Barrier. This gives us three spells cast and therefore at least three rounds passing. This presumes no time was counted for talking to Tsukiko. :smallwink:

5) Time to find the Throne Room: 5-10 Rounds (max of Who The Heck Knows)

Now I fully admit this is a complete Wild Assed Guess (even more than the Mammoth Charging - there at least I had a perspective shot). Redcloak knows the way to the Throne Room, since he saw Miko go there via the Crystal Ball. But he has to go up at least a few flights of stairs, and travel through a couple of rooms. He appeared to be moving at Double Move, so no Quad Moving here. Actually the number might be a lot bigger than that and I'd like to hear some guesses on that.

So, we come to this figure: 19-25 rounds of combat between Xykon and Soon.

Pretty high. But when you consider that a 20th level Sorcerer can cast at least 24 spells above 5th level (not counting bonus spells), it sounds about right when you consider Xykons comment about running out of spells higher than 5th level.

You know, when I started this little exercise, I didn't think there would be any way that the battle timelines could possibly match up. But you know what? They more or less do.

Oh sure, I might be off as much as 10 rounds or so. But Xykon was obviously using some of his lower level slots in that case. :smallbiggrin:

Now I would really appreciate people trying to rip my timeline apart (hey, that's why I'm even bothering to post the blessed thing. :smalltongue: ) to see if my guesses are wrong. But it does appear that everything matches up. Which, as I said, frankly astounds me.

Comments are welcome. :smallsmile:

-----------------

ETA::: I know that in Comic #422, the army was beyond maximum range of the catapults. But if you compare the distance shot of #422 and #451, you can see that the main army has moved considerably closer to the Azure City Walls. How closer? Don't know. At least half the distance (which would put them at 5 range increments), but I think it was a bit more. Hence my 600' away guesstimate. :smallsmile:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-31, 03:36 AM
The strips happened simultaneously but adjusted for the speed of the plot.

I don't think Xykon was off-screen in that thrown room for more than 2 minutes.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-05-31, 03:41 AM
So, saves vs Geeking Out:
Do those apply your WIS or your INT modifier? Also: do high mental stats instead apply a negetive to the roll?
How about however many levels in geek you have taken? How do those affect your roll?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-31, 04:16 AM
Do those apply your WIS or your INT modifier? Also: do high mental stats instead apply a negetive to the roll?
How about however many levels in geek you have taken? How do those affect your roll?

Chastising is as bad as flaming.

Dausuul
2007-05-31, 05:11 AM
My only question is how Xykon could survive for that long. 19-25 rounds of being beat on by Soon Kim's not-ghost is a long time, even for a lich...

Of course, he might have put himself inside a Xykon's moderately escapable forcecage, using the barred version so he could still shoot spells through the gaps. That would have held them off for a while (force effect), until one of them figured out how to get in. :smallbiggrin:

Dolash
2007-05-31, 05:50 AM
Actually, as a perfectly reasonable counterpoint, consider that the last time we saw Redcloak and Xykon's timelines together was when Xykon broke into the throne room. He spent at least a few rounds in there before the ghost Paladins attacked at all, so compare that to however many shots of Redcloak before then and we might find some new explination.

I mean, we saw Redcloak once or twice between Xykon entering the castle and Redcloak ordering the charge - would that make the wait longer, or shorter?

Thanatos 51-50
2007-05-31, 05:57 AM
Chastising is as bad as flaming.

I meant it as a mild joke, nothing derogetory intended.

~
Theroretically speaking, they could have been uring the same raounds that Xykon ha dentered the throne room
Rounds X-Y, we focus on Xykon.
As soon as we're done viewing round Y and the time resolves, we return to round X, viewing Redcloak.

Rincewind
2007-05-31, 09:06 AM
For god's sake...
http://www.freewebs.com/cansungur/picard.jpg

MR.PIXIE
2007-05-31, 09:13 AM
However long it taks for :xykon: to gets destroied:smallwink:

the_tick_rules
2007-05-31, 09:55 AM
yeah the events were simultaneous so i dunno. What's it matter really?

Porthos
2007-05-31, 10:16 AM
The strips happened simultaneously but adjusted for the speed of the plot.

I don't think Xykon was off-screen in that thrown room for more than 2 minutes.

Well, Xykon did say that he was running out of spells higher than 5th level. Considering that he has at least 24 spells above 5th, I say it is a distinct possibility that the fight lasted over 2 minutes. :smallsmile:

Oh definietly INT modifier. :smallsmile: And Geek is a Skill based buy in this case. And I refuse to say how many ranks in Geek I've bought.

Now Geekery is an interesting skill. It can help you solve many problems regarding various technical skills and trivial debates. But it also requires you to do potentially socially embarrassing things from time to time. One has to make the aforementioned Save to try and stop yourself.

Alas, I rolled a Nat 1. :smallredface:

BTW: No offense taken by your question... I recognized the spirit that it was made. As for someone elses post.....

For god's sake...
http://www.freewebs.com/cansungur/picard.jpg

Who's the bigger fool? The fool, or the fool who wastes time by commenting on the fool? :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue:
------------------

As for why I did this little exercise, quite a few people were complaining that there was no way that the battle could still be going on by the time Redcloak showed up. So I sat down and worked it out.

Is this really any sillier than the Class and Level Geekery Thread? I think not, my friends. I think not. :smallcool:

Besides this is a frigging webcomic based on DnD. Of course some of us are going to try and stat these sorts of things out. Unfortunately, we have a -10 circumstance modifier to our Save vs Geek rolls in these cases. :smalltongue:

MR.PIXIE
2007-05-31, 11:30 AM
Who's the bigger fool?

The fool who wastes time by commenting on the fool.
Its just a big wast of time:smallsigh:

Rincewind
2007-05-31, 12:39 PM
Who's the bigger fool? The fool, or the fool who wastes time by commenting on the fool? :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue: :smalltongue:
------------------

As for why I did this little exercise, quite a few people were complaining that there was no way that the battle could still be going on by the time Redcloak showed up. So I sat down and worked it out.

Is this really any sillier than the Class and Level Geekery Thread? I think not, my friends. I think not. :smallcool:

Besides this is a frigging webcomic based on DnD. Of course some of us are going to try and stat these sorts of things out. Unfortunately, we have a -10 circumstance modifier to our Save vs Geek rolls in these cases. :smalltongue:

Unfortunately there's no cure for cancer... But hang in there :smallsmile:

ssjKammak
2007-05-31, 12:49 PM
The only thing i think you havent taken into account in your time model is spells higher than 5th level xykon may have cast earlier that day, such as flight meteor swarm on roy, finger of death on roy, symbol of insanity. But as you pointed out during those time he may have used his rediculous ammount of low level spells. To be honest the time lines cannot have been sinked in the last comic with xykon he saw the ghosts and had no damage, in the most recent one it started with him damaged therefore time must have passed with him off screen.

Just an Aussies 2 cents
Cheers

Porthos
2007-05-31, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately there's no cure for cancer... But hang in there :smallsmile:

<Animaniacs>
Thanks for the Random Comment! :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:
</Animaniacs>

The only thing i think you havent taken into account in your time model is spells higher than 5th level xykon may have cast earlier that day, such as flight meteor swarm on roy, finger of death on roy, symbol of insanity. But as you pointed out during those time he may have used his rediculous ammount of low level spells. To be honest the time lines cannot have been sinked in the last comic with xykon he saw the ghosts and had no damage, in the most recent one it started with him damaged therefore time must have passed with him off screen.

Just an Aussies 2 cents
Cheers

Oh I thought about it. But I didn't want to try and figure out just how many hight level spells Xykon had already cast. The only thing I was really doing was seeing if the amount of time it took for Redcloak to show up was plausible or not. :smallsmile:

But yes, if I was trying to figure out just how many spells Xykon had cast, then I certainly should have taken that into account. Thanks for bringing that up. :smallsmile: