PDA

View Full Version : M&M

Druid_lord
2007-06-01, 07:17 AM
I was looking into Mutants and masterminds yesterday, and it piqued my intrest. I was wondering if someone could outline the pros and cons of the game for me?

BardicDuelist
2007-06-01, 07:43 AM
Some of the Pros that I found in its combat system is that it doesn't use hit points, and can be more realistic (if done at a lower PL than 10).
It can also be used to be more heroic if you wish. These things I like.

One of the down sides is that I think skill points are too expensive and ability points too cheap (why wouldn't you just up all your stats up to 20 for 60 PP, when the skills of a 10th level fighter cost 26?). Some of those things I house ruled changes on and such, but it was to make it more compatable to what my group was used to as D&D.

I do like how powers are handeled. It works out very nicely.

Khantalas
2007-06-01, 08:52 AM
You get 4 skill points for one power point. They are the cheapest thing around.

Besides, you may notice that ability scores don't affect powers directly too often.

What I think about M&M? Why, it's the World's Greatest Superhero RPG! It even says so on the cover! (yes, I'm being paid by Green Ronin to say that, get off my back :smalltongue:)

Green Bean
2007-06-01, 09:34 AM
It's a fairly easy system to get into. The only rolls you ever need to make are d20, and everyone gets one move action and one attack per turn, period. The powers they give you are flavourful, but general enough that you aren't too restricted.

On the downside, the game is incredibly easy to break. Things like the Summon and Duplication are very powerful. Of course, the rule book is pretty good about noting which powers you shold keep out of the hands of the PCs.

But what I find the most interesting is that the game actually has rules for dealing with GM fiat. Yes, it does seem a little oxymoronic, but it seems to work fairly well.

Pauwel
2007-06-01, 10:36 AM
M&M is a fantastically versatile, fulfilling and still fairly light system. Beginning to use M&M will be a fairly easy transition for most d20 players compared to changing to entirely other systems, since most of the character traits are called the same (there are the same Abilities, some of the same skills and so on).

By RAW, it encourages heroic and unrealistic behaviour and at the same time takes away some of the randomness of the d20 system by using hero points.
It would be fairly easy, however, to remove hero points for a more realistic and gritty system, and compensate for the added randomness by using 2d10 or 3d6 instead of d20.

I've used it for a fantasy game with great success, and if I were to play Star Wars, I'd definitely use M&M rather than buy the SW RPG.
One of the few things it doesn't do that well is equipment; not because the rules are bad for the genre the system is meant to be used for, but because those conventions vary between genres. Normally, you wouldn't be able to use a very powerful weapon at lower levels ("picking up a grenade launcher," for example) for longer than an encounter or two because it goes way above your power level, and even if it didn't you'd still have to spend points on it, since the same Power Points that are used for character generation and advancement are used for equipment.
If you don't mind one character being a couple of levels ahead, however, it wouldn't be a problem. If you have good players that can accept a few changes of the genre (namely players who can accept a game in which the heroic champions don't kill and loot everything they find), then it can easily work perfectly as it is.

I'm hooked on Mutants and Masterminds. I have never seen a better or more versatile RPG system except perhaps Ars Magica, which is, of course, all about magic. M&M, on the other hand, is about psionics, mutants, steampunkers, mad scientists, wizards, warriors, thieves, monsters, demons, angels, sharpshooters, gadgeteers, battlesuits, aliens, space cops, flying cars, beholders, elves, dwarves, hobbits, halflings, kender (ew), motorbikes, robotic pirate ghosts or whatever the hell you can come up with.

EDIT: Wow, some really bad spelling there. Sorry.

Skyserpent
2007-06-02, 08:38 AM
I played M&M before I even played D&D. By far the most interesting time I've ever had... It has a lot of flexibility with anything. Seriously, Ninja hordes, Magical Swordsmen, Robot Pilots, Lucky Gunmen, and Primal Elemental forces of nature are all possible character concepts and yet, they remain generally balanced. Except for the Sorcery Power... how the hell did that get through? 8 power points for like a bajillion other powers!? all you need to spend otherwise are the power points for power stunts and tricks... but nonetheless, it's still wicked fun. Plus since the system only uses the d20, dice tracking has never been simpler!

Also though, no looting... at all... This confused several of my players but then they got into the idea of HEROICS, after all... I've never seen Batman say "Let's kill him, he's got better pants than I do."

Pauwel
2007-06-02, 09:12 AM
I played M&M before I even played D&D. By far the most interesting time I've ever had... It has a lot of flexibility with anything. Seriously, Ninja hordes, Magical Swordsmen, Robot Pilots, Lucky Gunmen, and Primal Elemental forces of nature are all possible character concepts and yet, they remain generally balanced. Except for the Sorcery Power... how the hell did that get through? 8 power points for like a bajillion other powers!? all you need to spend otherwise are the power points for power stunts and tricks... but nonetheless, it's still wicked fun. Plus since the system only uses the d20, dice tracking has never been simpler!

You should try the Second Edition. It's considered much better by most, including me.

Skyserpent
2007-06-02, 09:39 AM
I picked up 2nd Edition... haven't tried it... the artwork is just so... sucky... unlike the 1st edition rulebook, 2nd edition didn't hire any actual comic book artists...

Nerd-o-rama
2007-06-02, 04:31 PM
Because the artwork is what makes an RPG fun to play.

Sir Kobold
2007-06-02, 10:08 PM
I'm looking into it too. It seems good, I recently joined a forum that is playing it and if I enjoy I'll buy it. It seems pretty simple and reasonably like D&D, which is probably my favourite game of all time.

Skyserpent
2007-06-02, 10:59 PM
Because the artwork is what makes an RPG fun to play.

I have this thing where I really like the sourcebooks I be relatively enjoyable to look at. In fact, I would have been more okay with it had no art been in the book at all. But they chose to use terrible artists and that kinda made me shy away from using it. I'm not saying it's not probably FUN I'm just saying it has kept me from reaching back into my bookshelf and cracking it open to re-learn the basic rules to start a brand new campaign. As an artist myself I guess it's personal taste...

Shallow? Maybe, but hey, no need to get all sarcastic about it.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-06-03, 12:05 AM
It's nothing personal, Sky. Sarcasm's just my normal mode of speech. Ask anyone.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic here. Just deadpan.

Beleriphon
2007-06-03, 01:25 AM
Trust me, just wait for Hero High to come out. That looks to be having spectacular art work. M&M 2E is probably one of the best system for stating thing up.

I've recently done a bunch of Star Trek characters, I've seen people do anime stuff, heck some of the best ones are really old cartoon characters. Space Ghost anyone?

As for how magic works its basically just a big power that gives you a whole ass load of APs. Very handy.

Skyserpent
2007-06-03, 02:20 AM
It's nothing personal, Sky. Sarcasm's just my normal mode of speech. Ask anyone.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic here. Just deadpan.

That's an oddly common trend on these boards...

anyhoo, Hero High? Got a link?

Beleriphon
2007-06-08, 10:01 PM
That's an oddly common trend on these boards...

anyhoo, Hero High? Got a link?

Keep in mind that Hero High is meant as book to help you run teen superhero games, so some of it is kind of silly and juvenile by intention.

Art:
http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/super-vision/000448.php

Legion of Super-Pets, or animal sidekicks
http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/super-vision/000428.php

Teen Hero fun stuff:
http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/super-vision/000406.php

Teen Hero classes, what you do in between saving the world and going on dates:
http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/super-vision/000404.php