PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Quick and Dirty 3.5 Core PrC revisions:

mabriss lethe
2015-11-20, 01:57 PM
A lot of the core PrCs are pretty bad, and I'm slowly compiling a list of quick-fix approaches for the worst offenders, Things that leave most of the class as written intact, but give them a much needed boost.

Arcane Archer:
1. Reduce BAB requirement to +5 to allow a straight wizard 10/AA 10 build.
2. Make it advance casting, 7/10, loses casting at 2,6,10 (a wizard would still get 9ths.)

Arcane Trickster:
While not a great class, it's passable as it stands. If you feel the need to give it a boost:
1. Remove casting requirements, allow for a straight rogue entry.
2. Replace "existing caster advancement" with an arcane version of the Ur-priest's CL and spells-per-day advancement.

Archmage: Doesn't need a fix. It can stand.

Assassin: Passable as is, but perhaps tweak the Death attack
1. Death attack works as stated, but can also be used after you've been seen with a contested bluff/sense motive roll for each round of study.

Blackguard: It can stand mostly as-is. A quick fix is best applied to the entry requirements.
1. Remove the required hide skill from entry to allow paladins direct access.
2. Relax Feat requisites: remove Improved sunder It will allow wider access.

Dragon Disciple:
1. replace bonus spells with an increase caster level. To mimic the cost of the half dragon template I'd normally say only give it 7/10 casting. However, I'm inclined to make it 8/10 to allow a sorcerer 10/DD 10 access to 9ths.
At 7/10 lose a caster level with improvements of breath weapon at 3,7, and 10. At 8/10 I'd suggest levels 2 and 9.

Duelist: It's pretty bad, and we don't have a lot to work with but here we go.
1. Canny Defense: simplify it to work as a sort of Int based monk's AC. (add int to AC without the class level requirement, allow either light armor, or add a monk's scaling armor bonus.)
2. Precise Strike: Grant at every even level for a total of +5d6.

Dwarven Defender: Still not a great class, really requires a more complete overhaul than I can give at the moment. here's the quick fix to make it less unappealing.
1.remove the movement penalties on Defensive Stance/remove mobile defense.

Eldritch Knight:
1. Grant armored casting at 1st level with any current armor proficiency .

Heirophant: See Archmage

Horizon Walker: Fairly solid core chassis. Doesn't really need a boost, but here's a suggestion.
1. multiply insight bonus from terrains by number of terrains known.
2. Gain Ranger casting at a rate similar to assassin or blackguard.

Loremaster: Solid as-is

Mystic Theurge: I don't think a quick n' dirty fix will help MT. It does exactly what it's supposed to do as written (not that "what it's supposed to do" is a particularly good choice.)

Shadowdancer: I love the fluff of this class, but absolutely despise pretty much every bit of the implementation.
1. Shadow illusion and shadow jump reset per encounter, not per day.
2. Summon shadow functions using a variation of Animal Companion rules, not familiar rules. No XP loss when destroyed, and summoning a new one can be done 24 hrs later.

Thaumaturgist: Can stand as is.