PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paladin Specializing in Undead

DiscipleofBob
2015-11-20, 10:15 PM
In the ongoing game I'm in, I'm bringing in a temporary replacement character just so I can try out some other classes. The group is going into an undead-heavy dungeon next, and I'm not sure I'll use the alt character much outside the dungeon.

Here's the basics of the character so far:
Level 4 Variant Human Paladin
Stats (rolled, after all ability increases): Strength 14, Dexterity 11, Constitution 16, Intelligence 8, Wisdom 9, Charisma 16
Feats: Resilient: Con (Variant Human), Sentinel (Bonus feat for completing background), Mage Slayer (Level 4)

Everything else is still to be decided.
I'm torn between Oath of Devotion and Vengeance. Both would be appropriate.
This will be my first spellcasting character in 5e, so I'm torn on what to choose.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Corran
2015-11-20, 10:29 PM
Check with your DM if he/she would allow an oathbreaker paladin (described in the DMG). Oathbreakers get the channel divinity option control undead at level 3. Basically allowing them to control an undead of a CR lower than your level for a whole day (if the undead fails its save, and with a charisma score of 16 you are all set). Since smiting works so well against undead (extra d8), I would say that the best use of your spell slots during battles would be to burn them for divine smite (3d8 radiant extra damage on a hit, double that on a crit), and potentially for using bless, if you dont have a cleric covering that. But if you wont be using bless in every fight (and you really wouldn't mind avoiding it since your smites are so powerful against undead), I would suggest dropping the resilient(con) feat and grabbing something else (maybe tough, if you want just more hp, or a +2 to str, etc).

If the dm does not allow you to play an oathbreaker, I would suggest to pick the oath of devotion, for the turn the unholy channel divinity.

I think turn the unholy is more powerful, given the level you are, but control undead has a certain appeal to it.

EvilAnagram
2015-11-20, 10:50 PM
Turn the Unholy is probably the best anti-undead ability in the Paladin's arsenal at that level, so I would definitely go with Oath of Devotion.

DiscipleofBob
2015-11-21, 10:05 AM
I asked about Oathbreaker, but the GM didn't allow it because it was too evil (despite that an evil character would fit in better with the rest of the party's antics than the knight in shining armor). The thought behind Resilient (Con) was that I'd need the con save proficiency with all the undead that attack with con saves, of which we've encountered several already.

Do spells even matter when those same slots go towards smiting things?Are the smite "spells" worth using in practicality over the base smite?

EvilAnagram
2015-11-21, 10:34 AM
Do spells even matter when those same slots go towards smiting things?Are the smite "spells" worth using in practicality over the base smite?
Bless and Command can both turn the tides of encounters, and Searing Smite can be quite nice against enemies weak to fire. Otherwise, you'll be better off using smite more often than not at your level.