PDA

View Full Version : New to M&M (not the candy)

Lord Tataraus
2007-06-02, 08:55 PM
He guys, I just got Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Edition. I have only played D&D before and GMed D&D extensively as well as Cyberpunk 2020. My group has only played D&D and Cyberpunk as well. I have began (and almost finished) setting up a campaign but I was wondering about the power level (cheesiness) of the players and certain powers. I noticed a couple of powers had notes suggesting limiting them notably mimic and the post/precognition (under super-sense) powers. Have have decided to scratch time travel all together but I will use alternate dimensions (to get around barriers and stuff). I was wondering what experience any of you have with the mimic and post/precognition powers, and to a lesser extent, the dimension traveling powers and if the are too powerful often.

Thanks in advance!

Beleriphon
2007-06-03, 01:11 AM
Fun system, really fun system. Totally encourages superheroics

Dimension travelling is only as useful as the GM makes it so its not to terrible.

As for possibly game breaking powers Boost can be pretty crazy and so can an nonlimited Shapeshift. In effect anything that can get you the same effect as another power for less cost needs to be closely examined by the GM.

I'd also point out that M&M does not actually include rules for time travel, and the Time Control power is just super-speed with a different description.

Which brings up Super-speed as a power. Its really confusing, so go check out the atomicthinktank.com for more help. A whole forum just for M&M! I post under the same name, and Stick Man has recently started posting there as well.

Pauwel
2007-06-03, 03:30 AM
I'd also point out that M&M does not actually include rules for time travel, and the Time Control power is just super-speed with a different description.

Actually, there are time travel rules; Super-Movement, Temporal Movement. They're very open to interpretation and I'd never use them, but they're there.

Green Bean
2007-06-03, 03:59 AM
Pre and postcognition can be pretty powerful, depending on the role combat is going to play in your campaign. If it's combat heavy, then the two powers' usefulness isn't going to be that overpowered. If you're doing a mystery/investigation theme, then you'll definitely have to limit them or outright ban them. (Remember, what pre/postcognition tell the players is up to you. Make sure that if you're limiting them, you let them know just how much detail a use of their power will provide).

As for dimensional travel, I recommend that you keep your heroes from getting it, and restrict it to a device or devices. (sort of 'Stargate'-style dimensional travel)