PDA

View Full Version : Bard or Rogue at 1st lvl?

Edgerunner
2015-11-22, 03:24 PM
When it comes to Skill Bonuses and proficiency... if you MC Bard/Rogue does it matter which class you take at 1st lvl.

MinaBee
2015-11-22, 03:38 PM
You'll come away with one extra skill proficiency if you start on Rogue than if you start on Bard.

Tool proficiency wise, starting with Rogue will get you thieves tools and one musical instrument; starting with Bard will get you thieves tools and three musical instruments.

Expertise will come online right away if you start with Rogue, but you'll get the same amounts of Expert skills if you take enough levels in each.

Edgerunner
2015-11-22, 04:07 PM
You'll come away with one extra skill proficiency if you start on Rogue than if you start on Bard.

Tool proficiency wise, starting with Rogue will get you thieves tools and one musical instrument; starting with Bard will get you thieves tools and three musical instruments.

Expertise will come online right away if you start with Rogue, but you'll get the same amounts of Expert skills if you take enough levels in each.

Many Thanks!

Exactly what I needed to know :-)

bardo
2015-11-22, 11:23 PM
Saving throw proficiencies might also be worth considering. Rogue gets dex & int. Bard gets dex & cha.

Bardo.

MightyDog16
2015-11-23, 02:29 PM
I think you come away with more if you start as rogue. Sure, bard gets 3 instruments but you only play one at a time so I don't see the point. I'd rather get an extra skill proficiency from rogue.
The only other thing I can think about to consider is MC ability score requirements. Rogue only needs 13dex whereas bard needs 13dex AND 13cha.

Theodoxus
2015-11-23, 02:37 PM
You might also want to consider your progression. What are your plans for this character? What are you using the bard levels for? Same with the rogue levels? From my experience, Level 1 rogue is a bit more fun than level 1 bard (and level 2 rogue is about as much fun as you'll find in game :smallwink:) But rogue1/bard1 isn't all that great... if you're going mostly bard, I'd go bard 6 before grabbing rogue 1. If you're going mostly rogue, what are your plans? Rogue works well with MC, but it works even better straight - at least until 12th - from all the research I've done on the subject...

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-11-23, 02:38 PM
I think you come away with more if you start as rogue. Sure, bard gets 3 instruments but you only play one at a time so I don't see the point. I'd rather get an extra skill proficiency from rogue.
The only other thing I can think about to consider is MC ability score requirements. Rogue only needs 13dex whereas bard needs 13dex AND 13cha.

If you're multi-classing, you need to meet both the requirements of the class your adding, and the class(es) you have already.