PDA

View Full Version : VT's Forgotten Beast I - Fleshkindler

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-05, 01:29 PM
Just ran across a number of creatures I had written when I had attempted to join a small gaming company that promptly went BLTHHHH. The company as far as I can tell is dead, the website is down, I believe I heard the head is in jail, and none of my stuff was ever used, so it should be legit to post'em.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Fleshkindler

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/images/fractal_anim_1.png

Large Elemental (earth)
Hit Dice: 9d8+27 (67 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (+1 dex, +11 natural, -1 size), flat-footed 20, touch 11; 20% miss chance
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +6/+15
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Attack: Claw +10 melee (1d8+5 plus 1d4 radiation)
Full attack: 3 claws +10 melee (1d8+5 plus 1d4 radiation)
Special Attacks: Flashburn, fleshkindle
Special Qualities: Bewildering Form, damage reduction 5/bludgeoning, darkvision 60 ft., earth glide, elemental traits, resistance to fire 10
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 14
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6
Feats: Cleave, Dodge, Lightening Reflexes, Power Attack
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 8
Alignment: Usually Neutral
Treasure: None
Advancement: Large (10-17 HD), Huge (18-30 HD)
Level adjustment: --

Embodiments of the fractal form, a fleshkindler appears as a shifting, haphazard arrangement of serrated circular crystals of all shapes and sizes. These crystals glow with a dim, colorless light. Its main form is lifted off the ground by several flexible extensions that work as limbs.

Fleshkindlers are spawned about natural veins of highly radioactive ores surrounded by earth steeped in elemental energies. The results are a tiny crystal that form and grow, repeating itself endlessly, feeding off the energy of the ore and infusing it into its own system. Eventually it becomes large enough to no longer need the energy from its mother vein and leaves fully grown. Periodically a fleshkindler will feel an urge to return to this vein, or similar ones it has encountered. Once there is will fission off several of its tiniest, most outlying crystals which fuses to the ore as itself once did. The process is then repeated.

Fleshkindlers are massive, and weigh around 4,000 lbs. It normally stands about eight feet high and is some ten feet wide. They understand terran and often undercommon, but cannot speak.

Combat
Fleshkindlers, in their own way, are the most deadly of earth elementals, their very presence anathema to all living beings. They are normally used as guards in deep subterranean locales and as such will first attempt to cow those approaching. If unsuccessful they seem to go into a beautiful yet deadly dance as they lash out with their limbs.

Bewildering Form (Ex): A fleshkindler's form is so convoluted and eye-confusing that it is difficult to target it with a weapon, gaining a 20% miss-chance.

Earth Glide (Ex): A fleshkindler can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal, as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing fleshkindler flings the elemental back 30 feet, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 16 Fortitude save.

Flashburn (Ex): Once a day a Fleshkindler can release an outpouring of energy within a 20 foot radius that deals 6d6 radiation damage ( DC 21 reflex half) and threatens its victims with the Fleshkindle disease. As well, on a failed save, the victim is blinded for 1d4 minutes, and remains dazzled for an equal ammount of time after sight returns. The save DC is Constitition based and gains a +4 racial bonus.

Fleshkindle (Ex): A fleshkindler exudes constant lethal energy that affects all living beings within 10 feet of the elemental, dealing 1d6 radiation damage every round that appear as festering burns. Though this damage appears as burns, even those with fire immunity are affected. A DC 17 fortitude save must be made while within this radius or the subject contracts the fleshkindle disease. The DC increases by 1 for every round the victim remains in the field. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Those that contract fleshkindle take 1d6 initial and secondary constitution damage (incubation period 2d6 hours) each week they fail their save. Cure Disease and similiar spells will temporarily surpress the radiation, but there is a 25% chance that 1d4 months later the condition will resurface. Only Heal, Limited Wish, Wish, Miracle, Bend Reality, Reality Revision and the like will permanently cure the malady with certainty.

jindra34
2007-06-05, 01:38 PM
do you really think you need more mind warpingly evil nightmares for your players to worry about?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-05, 01:53 PM
I've only ever used maybe half a dozen of my creatures in my games. I just make creatures to make creatures, not for my own personal use :smallwink:

bosssmiley
2007-06-05, 02:05 PM
"Plutonium! Santa brought Plutonium! He is real!"</Stuwey>

Love the stats for radiation poisoning the Fleshkindle disease. Just curious as to whether you think a fractal-edged crystalline elemental gruey thing should have a keen edge/Improved Critical property to its' natural attacks.

Oeryn
2007-06-05, 02:08 PM
I've only ever used maybe half a dozen of my creatures in my games. I just make creatures to make creatures, not for my own personal use

Good Lord, you don't know how comforting that is...

Although, it's still a little worrisome to be adventuring in a world totally created by the twisted mind that comes up with this kinda stuff... :smalltongue:

EndgamerAzari
2007-06-05, 02:11 PM
Just curious as to whether you think a fractal-edged crystalline elemental gruey thing should have a keen edge/Improved Critical property to its' natural attacks.

Good God, I hope not. It'd be the avatar of ownage.

More, VT, MORE!

EvilElitest
2007-06-05, 02:32 PM
I've only ever used maybe half a dozen of my creatures in my games. I just make creatures to make creatures, not for my own personal use :smallwink:

You should get your own compentdum, you and the Demented One
from,
EE