PDA

View Full Version : Sun Devil [MITP II] ((Three more Votes))

stolenchariot
2007-06-05, 04:54 PM
Sun Devil

Large outsider(Evil, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 22d8+220 (319 HP)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40ft (8 squares)
Armor Class: Armor Class: 26 (+2 dex, +15 natural, -1 size), 11 touch, 24 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: This should be +22/+38
Attack: Claw +29 melee (2d6+8 plus 2d6 fire) or tail slap +29 melee (1d8+8 plus 3d6 fire)
Full Attack: Full Attack: 2 Claw +29 melee (2d6+8 plus 2d6 fire) plus tail slap +24 melee (1d8+4 plus 3d6 fire)
Space/Reach: 10ft/ 10ft
Special Attacks: Cone of Hellfire, Shatter the firmament, pyrokinesis
Special Qualities: outsider traits, fire subtype, DR 20/ good and silver, aspect of the sun, fiendish ichor, stellar collapse, create sunstone
Saves: Fort +23, Ref +15, Will +23
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 14, Con 30, Int 30 , Wis 30 , Cha 25
Skills: appraise: +35, bluff +32 craft(gem crafting), +35 concentration+35, diplomacy +32, intimidate +32, Jump +33, Knowlege (The planes) +35, Knowlege(arcana)+35., Knowlege(History) +35, Knowlege(religion)+35 listen +35, Profession (jewler) +35, search +35, Sense motive +35,spellcraft +35, spot +35, Use magic device +32
Feats: power attack, cleave, great cleave, maximize spell-like ability, empower spell-like ability, improved grapple, improved bull rush, combat expertise
Environment: any
Organization: Any lawful lower plane
Challenge Rating: 23
Treasure: sunstone (See below)
Alignment: Always Lawful Evil
Advancement: (20-22 HD Large)
Level Adjustment:

A roiling mass of fire stands before you, its sun-bright body seems to be somewhat reptilian in form, and exudes a strong aura or malice.

Combat

Spell-like Abilities (sp) : at will: burning hands, protection from good, protection from chaos. 3/day: fireball, flaming sphere, invisibility 1/day: sunburst, flamestrike, summon monster IX (DC: 19 + spell level. Saves charisma based)
Cone of Hellfire (su): The Sun devil breathes a 30ft cone of unholy fire. 12d4 (reflex 31 halves) half fire/ half divine energy. The sun devil can only breath hellfire once every 1d4 rounds. (DC is constitution based)

Shatter the Firmament (ex): The sun devil emits a bone-shattering howl that rips the very earth as a full round action. (As the Earthquake spell caster level 20).

Pyrokinesis (su): By focusing the fiber of its being on one subject, requiring a full-round action, the Sun Devil can cause the subject to spontaneously combust, dealing 5d6 points of fire damage and another 3d6 for each subsequent round the subject is on fire (Will save DC 30 negates. Unattended objects get no save.) This ability is usable once a day. The DC is wisdom based

Aspect of the sun (su): The sun devil’s body seems to be made of the sun’s fire. It emits a bright black light with the equivalent illumination to a daylight spell. Creatures grappling it, or who hit it with a melee weapon take 2d6 fire damage. When looking directly at it, a living creature must make a will save (DC 25) or be blinded permanently. Any creature who would be destroyed by the presence of sunlight (Such as a vampire) is not destroyed by the light of a sun devil. In addition, undead within 100 feet of a sundevil gain the benefits of being in a desecrated area. As the progeny of the sun gods, the sun devil becomes empowered when in direct sunlight. This empowerment is exhibited in the form of a +4 enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls. Also, the devil gains an additional attack per round, as if hasted. Conversely, it is weakened in the moonlight (-4 to attack and damage rolls, acts as if slowed, -2 to constitution on a night when the moon is not full, and -4 when it is.)

Fiendish ichor (Ex): Sun devils contain blood that acts as a potent acid. Any creature who deals more than 30 damage to it in one melee attack takes 2d4 acid damage.

Create sunstone (sp): By channeling a portion of their essence into a gemstone, Sun devils can create a vessel through which they can control their minions indirectly. The creator of such a stone gains the benefits of clairaudience, clairvoyance, true seeing, ventriloquism, and stone of recall. . These spells only show the area around the stone’s location, and the stone of recall teleports the creator to the stone’s location. Also, the sun devil can cast any of their spell-like abilities through the stone. If destroyed, the Sun devil takes 2d4 points of wisdom damage and cannot create another for a year and a day.

Stellar Collapse(Ex): When a sun devil dies, they go the way of a super nova: Their outer layers are dispersed throughout the area, dealing 100 points of fire damage to everything within 100ft (DC 30 reflex halves) and their inner core collapses on itself, creating a miniature black hole for 1d3 hours. Creatures within 20ft must make another DC 30 reflex save or be pulled into the black abyss, effectively dead.

Combat Behavior
Sun devils attempt to engage their foes in sunlight whenever possible. They typically open with their breath weapon to soften their enemies before focusing on their arcane and divine spellcasters via melee before hammering into the melee opponents with their spell-like abilities and pyrokinesis.

Background

In the beginning, during the division of the great sun god, the fragments of darkness from the true deity’s heart were chipped away, and from these shards were born the fiends. the shards contaminated the original creations of the sun god, passing on the evil of his former heart thus creating the first devils. As millennia passed, the shards grew in power, slowly forming their own sentience, and even their own bodies; huge reptilian things as hot and bright as the sun itself. The Sun devils wander the deepest parts of the lower planes until their goals drive them elsewhere. Above all else, the sun devils seek to rejoin their progenitor and restore the evil to the heart of the sun.

puppyavenger
2007-06-06, 01:46 PM
Sun Devil
darkness,
[/i]

It seems a bit gaainst the theme dose't it?

Call Me Siggy
2007-06-06, 02:00 PM
Interesting concept...although this Daylight sort of prohibits it from making deals with undead and necromancers. Seems to be a little theme of light/sun running through homebrews in the past few days. What I would suggest it making the light a sort of black light or maybe a malicious glow that strengthens evil creatures.

stolenchariot
2007-06-06, 07:13 PM
Okay. The big thing I was worried about were spell-like abilities and whether it is overpowered or not.

Matthew
2007-06-14, 11:28 PM
Well, at CR 23 it's hard to really say whether it is or it isn't. On first glance it looks okay to me, but I don't think you have calculated the relationship between the Base Attack Bonus and Attack Bonuses quite right. If the Base Attack Bonus is 22 and Strength is +8, the Attack Bonus should be 29 (i.e. -1 for Large Size), I think. Similarly, you do not seem to have included the -1 Size Penalty to Armour Class.

stolenchariot
2007-06-15, 06:53 PM
Okay, I edited the AC and atack bonuses.

Matthew
2007-06-15, 08:06 PM
So, as an Outsider with 28 Intelligence and 22 Hit Dice this Monster is entitled to [25 x (8 + 9)] Skill Points, which translates to 17 Skills with 25 Ranks, but I'm only seeing eight Skills here. Is there any reason you chose not to include the other nine?

stolenchariot
2007-06-15, 08:25 PM
I either didn't copy them allf rim the word document somehow, or I never added them. Not sure why. I'll fix it.

DraPrime
2007-06-15, 08:32 PM
It's a bit too high up in the CR for my personal taste. Some of the Lords of the Nine are weaker than this thing. I could see it as a unique devil. Ignoring the CR I think it's pretty good. Nothing outstanding but still worthy enough to possibly earn a place in a campaign I'm running.

Matthew
2007-06-15, 08:35 PM
Okay. You are also missing a Feat, I think. As I understand it, a 22 Hit Dice Creature should have eight and you only have seven listed.

[Edit] Yeah, CR is notoriously hard to judge. I think this would give a party of Level 20s a run for their money, which would make the CR appropriate, but it could also completely destroy them, depends on so many factors.

stolenchariot
2007-06-15, 08:37 PM
any ideas on the extra feat?

Matthew
2007-06-15, 09:00 PM
So many Feats available, it's really hard to say. I guess Multi Attack might be reasonable, but then so would many others.

stolenchariot
2007-06-15, 09:06 PM
I think that's the one thing I have the most trouble with beside occasionally messing up my numbers. I mean, there's a lot of good feats I would use, but most of them are from alternative source books. A couple of vile feats would be nice ehre though.

Matthew
2007-06-15, 09:16 PM
Yeah, it's hard to say. the easiest thing to do is synergise everything. Maybe Combat Expertise would be a good one for this Monster.

[On the subject of numerical errors, it just occured to me that most of your Skills listed as 33 (25 + 8) should actually be 34 (25 + 9). It might have been easier just to round the Sun Devil's Intelligence and Wisdom up to 30, so that he has eighteen Skills and +10 to Wisdom and Intelligence based Skills. He is, after all, a main antagonist. He should probably be at least as clever as a top notch Wizard 20 (I think 31 is the best available for an LA +0 Race - Grey Elves I think - 20 (starting) + 5 (advancement) + 6 (magic).]

stolenchariot
2007-06-15, 09:50 PM
I think I got everything except the extra feat sorted out. Also, for flavor, when I created this, I had in mind a sun/ moon themed campaign I've been planning for some time. I planned to use one as a mastermind for one of the major plot schemes, and I was intending for the few others in existence to remain as background. I never really planned to be throwing these out to PC's like kobolds to level 1's.

Matthew
2007-06-15, 10:06 PM
Oh absolutely. I think it's a given that this is going to be a major adversary (probably the major adversary) for just about any campaign.

[Edit] Looks good, though you only have sixteen Skills listed while you have eighteen available (sorry to be a pedant). Actually, maybe he ought to be able to Jump...

stolenchariot
2007-06-15, 10:15 PM
it's alright. I knew I had at least one off because I've been running out of which skills to give it. I don't want it in water so swim's out, and it ought to have enough resourses so climb/ other mobility based skills would be redundant, and hide/ move silently are out seeing as most blind commoners would notice a large mass of black flame that emit UV rays.
EDIT: I think that's all the holes I see so far.

Matthew
2007-06-21, 12:24 PM
Yeah, looks good. Still missing one Skill, I would recommend Knowledge (History) 25(35). We're still just groping in the dark for a CR, but I think 23 still seems okay to me.

stolenchariot
2007-06-21, 01:35 PM
Well i checked The Vorpal Tribble's method of determining CR, and assuming I did the number crunch right, it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 22-24, so I'm fairly close at any rate. Also, Thanks. i didn't think of knowlege(History), and it fits really well.

Matthew
2007-06-21, 10:07 PM
Cool, if you enter this in the MitP, then I vote:

MitP: Yes

stolenchariot
2007-06-28, 10:46 AM
bumping this one too.

Poppatomus
2007-06-28, 10:52 AM
I like tenacity. And CR 23 monters that are no less than a living holocaust of malignent energies.

MitP vote: Yes

stolenchariot
2007-06-28, 11:03 AM
Thank you. that's what I was going for.

Doi
2007-06-29, 12:50 AM

Anxe
2007-06-29, 04:19 PM
That's a good monster. A bit too abitrary on it's Death Throes ability. It should be a rolled amount of damage and the Black Hole is almost certainly going to kill any fighter that was close to the Sun Devil. Maybe allow strength to be added to the save? And some rules should be made for how hard it is to get away from the black hole. Like fighting against a hurricane or tornado. I like everything else about it though! Mitp: Yes

stolenchariot
2007-07-14, 09:43 PM
last bump brfore I let fate take its course.

Matthew
2007-07-28, 06:02 PM
Bummer. I would have thought this would have qualified for MitP. Any reason people felt it not worth voting for? Too unoriginal? Too powerful? Not enough fluff?

Arakune
2007-07-28, 06:11 PM

Also, how a reflex save can negate the 100 damage on all of the radius of the ability range? Maybe the save are only alowed for creatures that are almost out of range (like, 70~80 feet, and, how much that's in mks)?

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-28, 08:45 PM
MiTP is over.

A damn shame, too, because I totally would have voted for this if I had seen it in time.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-07-30, 07:54 PM
Voting continues until the 10th of August, actually.

One thing, apart from the inevitable formatting issues. It emits a "bright black light" (emphasis mine)?

Zeta Kai
2007-07-30, 07:57 PM
MitP Vote: YES.

The formatting needs work, but I can see that this is a critter with potential.

stolenchariot
2007-07-31, 02:17 PM
the deal with the black light was I was thinking of it emiting pure UV rays. Possible to cause permanent blindness and [if I was less serious] skin cancer.

Matthew
2007-08-03, 01:12 AM
Huh. This only needs one more vote to be in and Inyssius said he would vote for it if the competititon was still on... well, it is still on!