PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder new spell- aura of the noir

1Freakinninja
2015-11-26, 02:20 PM
Alright, so in my groups party we have a teng investigator who wants a special ability that is amazing, if he fails/succeeds a will save, he begins monologuing in typical noir fashion.

Well I've decided to take it one step further.

This threads goal is to create a spell that makes the surrounding area become a film noir setting, warping reality where everything is black and white, literally every action is narrated to a fault and smoke clouds the truth like the fog that covers this city. Please voice your opinions, and maybe we will be making an entire chain of spells like this one, who knows?

First draft: aura of the noir

School*illusion* [mind-affecting];*Level,*investigator*4 *bard* 5 *shaman* 6*witch* 6, *wizard/sorcerer* 6

CASTING

Casting Time*1*standard action
Components*V, S, M (cigarette lit in a moody manner)

EFFECT

Range* 10 feet/ caster level
Target* you
Duration*1 minute/level (D) and instantaneous
Saving Throw*Will*negates;*Spell Resistance*Yes

DESCRIPTION

The smoke of the cigarette surrounds the caster, from him the world itself begins to warp, all objects emmetiatly lose color, as long as this is in effect, the thoughts of the caster are narrated and heard by everyone in the area. The caster gains a +1 moral bonus/per 1/2 the class level for all mental ability stat skill checks whilst in the area of effect. The surrounding area becomes filled with technology equal to the 1920s, bow and arrows emmetiatly become revolvers, carts become cars, buildings become brick skyscrapers withing the area, all instruments become that of the smooth jazz variaty ex. Saxaphones, large pianos, bass. Melee weapons either become switch blades if bladed or saps if blunt, all users of these changed weapons are considered proficient with them. All others in the effected area must succeed a will save to believe this is normal. If failed, the creature must over act like all heck. if passed, the caster suffers a -1/caster level moral bonus to all physical stats, any characters who are successful in the will save remove the casters benifit to mental stat check used against them. All costumes and equipment is replaced based on the gms desision as to fit the time period (ex. suits, femme fatal, trench coats clothings) In addition, strange, inexplicable sax music plays in the distance, if played with the music, all spells with somatic components can be cast as if 1 level higher, but not for the caster of this spell. As most noirs end with tragic events to the main character or the others in the cast, any save rolls done by any character in the area are rolled twice, the worse of the two rolls must be taken. If any object and or person leaves the area of effect, they immediately understand what happened to them and all object effected are turned to normal, they can reenter the area as though they had succeeded in the will save.

Fii
2015-11-26, 02:41 PM
I'd actually go with illusion and base it off of Major Image (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/major-image).

TheFamilarRaven
2015-11-26, 02:51 PM
You forgot the saxophone... There's always a lonely saxophone playing in the background.

In addition to bows and crossbow becoming revolvers. Melee weapons become switchblades. And everyone is wearing pinstripe suites with fedoras.

Fii
2015-11-26, 02:56 PM
You forgot the saxophone... There's always a lonely saxophone playing in the background.

In addition to bows and crossbow becoming revolvers. Melee weapons become switchblades. And everyone is wearing pinstripe suites with fedoras.

...unless they're female, then they're dressed as a femme fatale.

Fii
2015-11-26, 03:00 PM
also,now this song is stuck in my head:

Private Investigations by Dire Straits (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxS-ICzjO6I)

1Freakinninja
2015-11-26, 03:00 PM
I'd actually go with illusion and base it off of Major Image (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/major-image).

*laughs like Japanese Anima villain* you think the awesome might of noir is simply a illusion?!?!?!? Foolish!

I was actually thinking it becomes sort of real to a point if possible.

Fii
2015-11-26, 03:11 PM
*laughs like Japanese Anima villain* you think the awesome might of noir is simply a illusion?!?!?!? Foolish!

I was actually thinking it becomes sort of real to a point if possible.

The problem with quasi-reality is multifold.
One, everyone would get a save because their reality is affected too.
Two, those who make their saves will NOT be changed/affected, and this will lessen the noir effect on those who failed.
Three, you'd be looking at a higher level spell than 3rd.
Four, illusion is your best bet.. it gives you what you want, and if someone makes their save, they simply don't experience the noir effects, they don't spoil it for those that failed by lessening what is noir-i-fied.

1Freakinninja
2015-11-26, 03:32 PM
The problem with quasi-reality is multifold.
One, everyone would get a save because their reality is affected too.
Two, those who make their saves will NOT be changed/affected, and this will lessen the noir effect on those who failed.
Three, you'd be looking at a higher level spell than 3rd.
Four, illusion is your best bet.. it gives you what you want, and if someone makes their save, they simply don't experience the noir effects, they don't spoil it for those that failed by lessening what is noir-i-fied.

I...impossible, I can't be defeated! NOOOOOOOOO!!! *anime villain defeat*

Point taken, ok, who else gets the spell and what level should if be?

Fii
2015-11-26, 03:41 PM
I...impossible, I can't be defeated! NOOOOOOOOO!!! *anime villain defeat*

Point taken, ok, who else gets the spell and what level should if be?

Bard, Sorcerer/Wizard, Witch (through a patron, I'd imagine), Cleric (through a domain)

and you can use Major Image as a basis to keep it level 3.

1Freakinninja
2015-11-26, 03:45 PM
Bard, Sorcerer/Wizard, Witch (through a patron, I'd imagine), Cleric (through a domain)

and you can use Major Image as a basis to keep it level 3.

I think the bonuses it gives raised it up to a level 4, but If that's the case maybe add something else to it to ballance it out? Like in noirs, they are good with guns, maybe the caster is automatically proficient in guns and switchblade weapons

Fii
2015-11-26, 04:20 PM
I think the bonuses it gives raised it up to a level 4, but If that's the case maybe add something else to it to ballance it out? Like in noirs, they are good with guns, maybe the caster is automatically proficient in guns and switchblade weapons

If people's equipment automatically changes, then they should remain proficient with them.

Bardic instruments should become saxophones.

1Freakinninja
2015-11-26, 05:20 PM
Seeing as to the varying effects of the spell, I'll leave it open to interpretation for the gm as to how everything is changed to what level