PDA

View Full Version : Reef Golem [MitP II]

DragonTounge
2007-06-05, 09:08 PM
MitP II is done voting.

Reef Golem
Large Construct
Hit Dice:13d10+30 (113 HP)
Speed:20ft.(4 squares),Swim 30ft.(6 squares)
Armor Class:22 (-1 size, +2 dex, +11 natural armor)
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+20
Attack:Slam +15 (2d6+7 plus fiery infection)
Full Attack:2 slams +15 (2d6+7 fiery infection)
Space/Reach:10ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: Berserk, fiery infection.
Special Qualities: Construct traits, DR 10/bludeoning, darkvision 60ft., SR 22, low light vision, sea foam armor, strength of the ocean
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 14, Con-, Int-, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: Swim +18
Feats: -
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: None
Advancement: 13-18 HD (large); 19-35 HD (huge)
Level Adjustment: -

This golem has a humanoid body made of coral and bits of wrecked ships. As the coral of the ocean, the golem's skin is rough and in many areas sticks out in like spikes along with many pieces of wood and debris. It has a reddish hue due to the microscopic organisms that live along its entire body. Its body looks like a misshaped suit of armor with spikes sticking out of it's body. Reef golems cannot speak or make vocal sounds of any type. They walk slowly with clumsy steps but swims with surprising speed and agility.

Combat:
In combat reef golems are as difficult challenge on land or in water and can mean certain death for any sailing vessel. A reef golem not only punches its enemies but at the same time cuts them up with parts of broken wood. A reef golems slam attack deals both bludgeon and slashing damage.

Berserk(Ex):When a reef golem enters battle out of water there is a 3% chance that it's elemental spirit breaks out and goes into berserk rage attacking any living creature until destroyed.

Fiery Infection(Ex)
When the reef golem strikes an opponent it slices the skin, requiring a DC 23 Fortitude save or be infected immediatly. The infection deals 1d8 points of non-lethal damage every round. The charecter infected can make another fortitude save every round but the save increases by 1. After 10 rounds the charecter must make a DC 25 fortitude save or fall unconcious.

Sea Foam Armor(Sp)
Like a crab the reef golem can excrete spittle from an opening in its mouth. This spittle cover its body and hardens give it an additional +4 to armor class. This ability last for 1 minute and can be used twice a day.

Strength of the Ocean(Ex)
While in salt water the reef golem gains a +1 to armor, +2 to dex, and a +4 to strength. While in fresh water it gains a -1 to armor, -2 to dex, and a -4 to strength.

Regrowth(Su)
If a piece of a destroyed reef golem is placed in salt water it begins to regrow. After 6 years the coral will regrow into a full coral golem. Only one coral golem can grow from another coral golem.

Construction
A reef golems body must be make from 2,000 pounds of red coral and 250 pounds of wood from some sort of shipwreck. Assembly requires a DC 20 craft (sculpting) check. CL 14th; craft construct, antimagic field, mage armor, symbol of pain, animate object, resurrection. Price: 85,000gp, Price: 42,500gp + 3,000xp.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-06-05, 09:13 PM
CR 12 for something that could down you that easily? Firey Poison is a little bit too powerful. maybe clock it down to 1d8?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-05, 09:14 PM
This is an interesting go at it, but thought I might mention that there is a coral golem in Stormwrack :smallconfused:

DragonTounge
2007-06-05, 09:53 PM
Wow, I had no idea there was already a coral golem. I also made the changes suggested.

Demented
2007-06-05, 10:09 PM
What are the exact(er) details of Berzerk for this monster?

There's a cumulative chance of it doing something, but with no specification what that cumulative chance is...

...Which is probably fortunate, considering that everything nearby that moves will instantaneously die.

DragonTounge
2007-06-05, 10:12 PM
Darn it. The link I put up in Monster in the Playground leads to a different, but earily similar, page marked Coral Golem [MitP]. Well, just thought I'd give you a heads up.

DragonTounge
2007-06-05, 10:29 PM
Ok, fixed the link in MitP so it leads directly here.

Icewalker
2007-06-05, 10:55 PM
Coral Golem
Large Construct
Hit Dice:13d10+30 (100 HP)
Speed:20ft.(4 squares),Swim 30ft.(6 squares)
Armor Class:24 (-1 size, +2 dex, +13 natural armor)
Attack:Slam +19 (2d10+9 plus fiery poison)
Full Attack:2 slams +19 (2d10+9 fiery poison)
Space/Reach:10ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: Berserk, fiery poison.
Special Qualities: Construct traits, 10/bludeoning, darkvision 60ft., immunity to magic, low light vision, sea foam armor, strength of the ocean
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 14, Con-, Int-, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: Swim +18
Feats: -
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: None
Advancement: 13-18 HD (large); 19-35 HD (huge)
Level Adjustment: -

The health total is 113 not 100.
Isn't that slam damage a little high? I think it's a bit ridiculous.
that's DR 10/bludgeoning

This golem has a humanoid body made of coral. As the coral of the ocean, the golem's skin is rough and in many areas sticks out in certain areas like spikes. It has a reddish hue due to the microscopic organisms that live along its entire body. Its body looks like a misshapedn suit of armor with spikes sticking out of it's body. The coral golems cannot speak or make vocal sounds of any type. It They walks slowly with clumsy steps but it swims with surprising speed and agility.

Minor spelling and grammar errors. Fix/add.

Combat[/U][/B]:
In combat coral golem's is a difficult challenge on land or in water and can mean certain death for any sailing vessel.
Berzerk:When a coral golem enters battle out of water there is a cumulative chance that it's elemental spirit breaks out and goes into berzrk rage attacking anything moving nearby.

Spelled berserk.
1% every battle seems a bit low. I'd up it to 10% if by battle, 1% if by minute, which I think might be cooler. It could break out into a rage without anybody else engaging it, you know?

Fiery Poison
When the coral golem strikes an opponent it slices the skin, requiring a DC 23 Fortitude save or be infected immediately. The infection deals 1d8 points of non-lethal damage every round. The chareacter infected can make another fortitude save every round but the save increases by 1. After 10 rounds the chareacter must make a DC 25 fortitude save or fall unconscious.

That's a very powerful poison.
I'd make it work more like a real poison, damage and again 1 minute later, or don't call it a poison. I suggest con damage instead of non-lethal, makes more sense for an infection type thing I'd say.

You say it slices the skin. Does that mean it does slashing damage with it's slam attack?

Sea Foam Armor
Like a crab the coral golem can excrete spittle from an opening in its mouth. This spittle covers its body and hardens give it a +4 to armor class. This ability last for 1 minute.

Is this on top of the +13 natural mentioned? Or part of it? I'm guessing on top.

Strength of the Ocean
While in salt water the coral golem gains a +2 to armor, dex, and a +4 to strength. While in fresh water it gains a -2 to armor, dex, and a -4 to strength.

So this is on top of what is written? Cool idea, looks fine. Although with a +13 natural and +6 through the abilities its AC is a bit high...

Immunity to Magic
The coral golem is immune to any spell or spell-like that has spell resistance. in addition certain spells effect change when casted upon the coral golem. Cold spells act like the Slow spell to the coral golem.

I don't think this is a great idea, giving creatures spell immunity is quite a thing. I'd just give it SR 21 or so.

Regeneration
If a piece of a destroyed coral golem is placed in salt water it begins to regrow. After 6 years the coral will regrow into a full coral golem. Only one new coral golem can grow from another coral golem.

Excellent idea. Good flavor ability. I'd add the salt there. And get rid of the 'new' because that implies it regrows itself and a new one.

Construction
A coral golems body must be make from 2,250 pounds of red coral. Assembly requires a DC 20 craft (sculpting) check. CL 14th; craft construct, antimagic field, mage armor, symbol of pain, animate object, resurrection. Price: 85,000gp, Price: 42,500gp + 3,000xp.

Looks fine, may need tweaking with the changes I suggested, but....but I know nothing about these numbers so I can't comment on their accuracy.

Man, I feel like Zherog.

This was on the other thread, and it looks like you fixed almost all of the grammatical errors. Excellent.

I really like this, a cool idea.

DragonTounge
2007-06-06, 09:46 AM
Is this on top of the +13 natural mentioned? Or part of it? I'm guessing on top

This is on top of its armor. Also change it from poison to an infection, because it doesn't really act like a normal poison. I'm thinking about lowering its natural armor.

Icewalker
2007-06-06, 04:01 PM
Yeah, +13 is a bit high. That means in salt water, where you would probably encounter it, it would have +19 natural...

Ah lowered to 11, that's a little better.

That means in salt water when prepared (usually) it would have a AC of 28

Vaniel
2007-06-06, 05:16 PM
May I guide you to Stormwrack?

EDIT: OOps, VT got it before I did :smallwink:

DragonTounge
2007-06-06, 05:44 PM
May I ask the challenge rating of the Coral Golem in Stormwrack?

Vaniel
2007-06-06, 07:50 PM
May I ask the challenge rating of the Coral Golem in Stormwrack?

Sure! :smalltongue:

Coral Golem: CR of 9

DragonTounge
2007-06-06, 08:57 PM
Thanks Vaniel.

DracoDei
2007-06-06, 10:10 PM
Might want to rename "Regeneration" to avoid confusion. "Regrowth" maybe?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-07, 09:10 AM
If there's already a published monster with the same name, I'm going to have to give this a MitP Vote: No. Sorry about that.

However, the mechanics seem pretty sound, and should be adaptable to an organic-type creature, which I would be quite interested in seeing.

Callix
2007-06-07, 04:04 PM
On the immunity front, golems *need* their spell immunity. It's the main challenge about them. As for what spells work, since coral is limestone, try the rock to mud and mud to rock stuff from the Stone golem. SR just doesn't cut it. Particularly not CR + 10. They're freaking GOLEMS! They're meant to be tough. They're also very slow and stupid. It all comes out in the wash.

DracoDei
2007-06-07, 05:59 PM
If there's already a published monster with the same name, I'm going to have to give this a MitP Vote: No. Sorry about that.

So it just needs a different name...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-06-07, 08:05 PM
Rename it and i will vote yes.

DragonTounge
2007-06-08, 10:13 AM
Well what else am I supposed to name it? It is made out of coral, right? Does anyone know a word that means the same thing as coral? I'm looking for suggestions.

Poppatomus
2007-06-08, 10:37 AM
Call it a reef golem. Change it so that it requires bit of wood from a shipwreck and turn sea foam armor from the release of foam into the reorganization of its structure to temporarily bring barnacles and bits of gnarled wood to the exterior. then change the fluff a bit.

DragonTounge
2007-06-08, 04:34 PM
I hate to say it but thats actually a pretty good idea. I think I'll go for it.:smile:

Poppatomus
2007-06-08, 04:39 PM
I hate to say it but thats actually a pretty good idea. I think I'll go for it.:smile:

happy to help. Why do you hate to say it?

Edit: by the way, I like the monster

Mitp Vote: Yes

But I'll make that provisional on the fact that the monster works differently from the existing coral golem. I have to assume it does, which is why I'm voting yes, but if someone has access to the book and it's pretty much the same monester there's nothing can be done about that.

DragonTounge
2007-06-08, 04:40 PM
Man this is CONFUSING:furious: ! Next time, I'm going to ask if anyone has made my monster before posting it.

why do you hate to say it?

Because that means I acualy didn't do the best job on my darned monster. :smallfrown:

DracoDei
2007-06-08, 08:21 PM
MitP Vote: Yes

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-06-08, 08:24 PM

Icewalker
2007-06-11, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I'll vote yes on it as well. Cool creation.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-13, 11:57 AM
And I'll change my vote to a MitP Vote: Yes, because I'm a nice guy that way.

DragonTounge
2007-06-13, 08:17 PM
Thanks Lord Iames Osari! Only 1 more vote yes and I'm accepted!!!

YuanTi
2007-06-14, 06:38 AM
MitP: Yes.

I like this, looks really good. I'll unleash it on my party sometime.

Matthew
2007-06-15, 10:55 PM
Hmmn. I think you're a bit off on your Attack Bonus. 13 HD Construct with 25 Strength = BAB 9, AB 16, Large Sized means AB 15, as far as I can tell. Also, 13 HD means that the Saves should be 4(4), 4(6), 4(4), I think. Otherwise seems good, but you should specify where that Swim 11(18) comes from.

Doi
2007-06-27, 11:41 PM

Lizardfolk Lich
2007-10-02, 11:02 AM
Vote = Yes

and also, don't reefs have scallops or muscles or something? Those things can cut you if you even look at them! I got like 6 scars picking a rock up when they were on there!:smallannoyed:

DracoDei
2007-10-02, 06:35 PM
Voting for MitP II closed a while back. I am almost sure this entry made it.