PDA

View Full Version : need help with new breed of dragon

wingover gimble
2007-06-06, 07:59 AM
okay people i need help with creating a new breed of dragon. i am either looking for a really good dragon or a really evil ( one that makes a red dragon look like a puppy dog). any ideas can help me alot. i am hoping to use this with my campaign :D!!!!!!

DracoDei
2007-06-06, 02:47 PM
Well, the only dragon I have ever made up is Neutral Good and any combat it is involved in will almost certainly be long, drawn out, and frustrating... would that help?

Other than that I might suggest a Celestial Dragon if you want the epitomy of Good.

Wraithy
2007-06-06, 02:55 PM
LE, NE, or CE?
anywho the most evil thing you can go for is a natural born necromancer.
make it a bone dragon or something, have a huge fear DC but a bad breath weapon, make the breath weapon negative energy or something.
otherwise it would depend on alignment. LE=sneaky manipulating dragon that hides in the sewers or caves hidden beneath a spooky town CE=crazy dragon that regularly flies into towns demanding children as tribute

Icewalker
2007-06-06, 03:36 PM
I've decided to create a kind of essence of good dragon breed, which are descended from Bahamut (they probably exist in other books.)

I don't really know just what color they are, because I think there already is a 'silver' dragon, but they have a holy damage breath weapon.

wingover gimble
2007-06-06, 09:23 PM
i like that idea of the bone dragon and that breathe weapon sounds like da bomb. im making an evil vilian going to have a artifact to create his own dragon. that bone dragon sounds the best for him and i would make it CE. if my party kender got it i would totally make it a good dragon who has the couriosity of a kender but the look and breatheweapon i dont know.

Korias
2007-06-06, 09:34 PM
For Evil go with the bonedragons.

If your looking for uber good, First decide on the look: Do you want a Chinese Dragon? A Medeval Dragon? This heavily factors into the look.

Chinese Dragons were Long, Thin, and Scaley.
Medeval Dragons are like the ones in DND Books.
Aztec Dragons are Long, Feathered, and thin.
Japanese Dragons are Short, Fat, and Furry/Scaley.

Then decide on where it lives:
Swamp? Volcano? Forest? Cave?

This factors into your breath weapon. Decide Breath Weapons on Enviroment.

wingover gimble
2007-06-11, 10:02 PM
i was thinking a dragon like out of a D&D book but it is able to adapt to any enviroment so it would be a super dragon and everyone would be like OMFG how can we stop this and they would run until they found out it was a good dragon.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2007-06-11, 10:16 PM
Well, try the Epic Prismatic Dragon, available online in the D&D 3.5 SRD, under Epic Monsters.

Most groups won't stand a CHANCE against one. Just be sure not to kill them.

-The Djinn

Matthew
2007-06-15, 06:49 PM
Huh? Are you sure? I have never seen one of those depicted before.

wingover gimble
2007-06-20, 12:55 PM
well my party is about 13th level so i wont make the dragon to hard but it is a bad guy or good guy making the ultimate dragon that will do his bidding.

Smiley_
2007-06-20, 03:05 PM
Well, I would stay away from the bone dragon idea. You can get that by slapping the dracolich template onto one.

I have some ideas that you could work on...

Grey dragon, LN, divination spells, aging breath weapon, and Time Stop as a Great Wyrm. Collects magic items.

Beige Dragon, true neutral, abjuration spells, subdual breath weapon, and temporal stasis w/ save as a Great Wyrm. Collects bottle caps, postage stamps, and unusual paper clips.

Pink Dragon, CN, Transmutation spells, destructive breath weapon(no energy type), transmute any object as a Great Wyrm. Collects shiny and oddly shaped rocks, metal objects, and people.

It might be interesting to fit these guys into any campaign...somehow

aaron_the_cow
2007-06-20, 07:15 PM
I have some ideas that you could work on...

Grey dragon, LN, divination spells, aging breath weapon, and Time Stop as a Great Wyrm. Collects magic items.

Beige Dragon, true neutral, abjuration spells, subdual breath weapon, and temporal stasis w/ save as a Great Wyrm. Collects bottle caps, postage stamps, and unusual paper clips.

Pink Dragon, CN, Transmutation spells, destructive breath weapon(no energy type), transmute any object as a Great Wyrm. Collects shiny and oddly shaped rocks, metal objects, and people.

they could be former artifact holders dragons. ;)

wingover gimble
2007-06-22, 12:12 PM
Those are some pretty good ideas. i will be sure to use those so thank you all for your ideas i think im ready now. have a good one.

JellyPooga
2007-06-22, 12:50 PM
Beige dragons must be the most depressive creatures in existence...who wants to be Beige; the single most dull colour known to man?

All the other dragons get to be cool colours like Red or Black or Gold...he's stuck with boring old washed-pants, manky brown. I wouldn't be surprised if his scales have a tendency to fall off out of sheer despair.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-22, 01:00 PM
Beige dragons must be the most depressive creatures in existence...who wants to be Beige; the single most dull colour known to man?

All the other dragons get to be cool colours like Red or Black or Gold...he's stuck with boring old washed-pants, manky brown. I wouldn't be surprised if his scales have a tendency to fall off out of sheer despair.

If its scales fall of of their own accord then boring dragonskin armour is still dragonskin armour....

GryffonDurime
2007-06-22, 01:08 PM
Well, if you want an evil dragon, have you considered the benefits of having your big bad evil so-and-so get to work magicing a normal dragon into an abomination? Nothing says "Holy fajitas, let's run!" like a huge, flying lizard with beholder eyestalks of all flavors mystically grafted all across it's body.

It'd also be fairly hard to surprise. What with the panoramic vision.

Fooliodislapsis
2007-07-10, 04:15 AM
sanguine (dark reddish purple) dragon, LE, would be devoted to destroying all sentient morality. it would have mostly mind-affecting enchantment abilities. the worst enemy of those family values types :smallwink:

Swooper
2007-07-11, 09:31 AM
For evil: Purple dragon. I have no idea what it's breath weapon would be, though.

For good: Either platinum dragon or (if Bahamut is a feature in your campaign) electrum dragon.

Oh wait, electrum dragon should be the bastard half-breed resulting from the union of a gold dragon and a silver dragon. That idea is so cool I must use it sometime...

Hranat
2007-07-11, 09:39 AM
Forgotten Realms has a Purple Dragon, which isn't evil at all...

Try combinating a Nightshade with a Dragon... a ShadowDragon or such...

DracoDei
2007-07-11, 10:44 AM
Oh wait, electrum dragon should be the bastard half-breed resulting from the union of a gold dragon and a silver dragon. That idea is so cool I must use it sometime...

1.) Since they are both LG and there aren't any rules per se forbidding interspecies marriages that I know of in most campaign settings, I see no reason why the couple in question wouldn't be legally wed... in other words it would be HIGHLY unlikely an Electrum dragon would be a bastard.

2.) FYI the idea of Electrum dragons existing as the offspring of a gold and silver has been around since at least 2nd edition... which makes it neither more nor less cool.

Maldraugedhen
2007-07-12, 09:20 AM
If its scales fall of of their own accord then boring dragonskin armour is still dragonskin armour....

I am now tempted to write out rules for Boring equipment.

All equipment in pre-made starter packages would be modified in my campaigns to have the Boring modifier, as well as the Fodder Weapons.

Justyn
2007-07-12, 10:47 AM
Want to make a better Red Dragon? Add the Half-dragon template to it. You can minimize the weaknesses of the Red Dragon by making it a half White Dragon!

Red Dragons are weak against cold? Half white gives it immunity to cold.

It's natural armor increases by four; its strength goes up by eight, its constitution by two, and its intelligence and charisma by two. And it gains a new breath weapon.

No, they are identical to Chinese dragons, they just have fewer toes.

Hranat
2007-07-12, 04:06 PM
Eh, ever noticed that 'Half-Dragon template can only be added to a non-dragon?'

That's to prevent this kind of mixing...

Justyn
2007-07-12, 04:48 PM
Eh, ever noticed that 'Half-Dragon template can only be added to a non-dragon?'

That's to prevent this kind of mixing...

Where did you get this? Monster Manual says, and I quote:

"'Half-dragon is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporial creature (refered to hereafter as tghee base creature).'"

The Draconomicon says nothing to overrule this, nor Races of the Dragon (in fact, a little tidbit of information on page 55 seems to refer that half-breed dragons exist.)

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-12, 05:16 PM
My love of Lovecraft leads me to suggest something with tentacles :P (I love that Half Farspawned Template ^_^)

Maybe the Dragon has powers to warp and corrupt flesh. Perhaps it has a breath weapon that shoots out spores which infect any living creature it comes into contact with.

Gefangnis
2007-07-12, 05:21 PM
My love of Lovecraft leads me to suggest something with tentacles :P (I love that Half Farspawned Template ^_^)

Maybe the Dragon has powers to warp and corrupt flesh. Perhaps it has a breath weapon that shoots out spores which infect any living creature it comes into contact with.

Your dragon could have the Pseudonatural template (from the Alienist in Complete Arcane) or be an alienist him/herself.

Gross stuff, that.

stolenchariot
2007-07-12, 08:15 PM

Off topic, but I'd have to say that I find puce duller than beige.

volrathxp
2007-07-13, 07:39 AM
For evil: Purple dragon. I have no idea what it's breath weapon would be, though.

For good: Either platinum dragon or (if Bahamut is a feature in your campaign) electrum dragon.

Purple dragons are scary fun.

They get three breath weapon forms: cone of energy, a burst that blinds everyone within radius, and a blade of energy they can use as a melee weapon in combat.

Dragon Compendium for the win. :)

Edit: Oh and if you want a little nastier than the dragons in the MM, try some in the Draconomicon. Planar dragons are always fun.