PDA

View Full Version : Sun Sprite [GitP X]

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-06, 01:00 PM
Sun Sprite
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/ZeroNumerous/pdbs015063.jpg

Diminutive Fey(Extraplanar, Fire Subtype)
Hit Dice: 10d6+10(45 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: Fly 30ft(Perfect) (6 squares)
Armor Class: 22(Dex +6, Size +4, Natural +2), 20 touch, 16 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/-11
Attack: Fire Dart +15 ranged (1d6+2 Fire Damage)
Full Attack: Fire Dart +15 ranged (1d6+2 Fire Damage)
Space/Reach: 0ft/0ft
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, Fascinating Aura.
Special Qualities: Fey traits, blindsight 60ft, damage reduction 15/cold iron and cold, fire immunity, fiery corona, bardic music, cold anathema.
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +13, Will +11
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 22, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 6, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff +17, Sense Motive +11, Spot +11, Listen +11, Search +15, Concentration +14, Perform(Song) +17, Intimidate +17, Spellcraft +15, Decipher Script +15
Feats: Dodge, Force of Personality, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot.
[B]Environment: Volcanic Regions, Areas visited by fire elementals, Deserts, Elemental Plane of Fire.
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: CR 14
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 11-15(Old), 15-20(Venerable), 20-25(Ancient)
Level Adjustment: --

A light dances across the dunes before you, dipping up and down while shedding molten light in it's wake. The sound of soft, beautiful, and enchanting singing permeates the air around you. The light approaches, yet you feel no fear. Even as you notice the sand beneath it melting into glass that immediately begins to warp and twist, you feel nothing but warmth radiating from deep within you. The warmth that is quickly replaced with sharp pain..

Sun sprites are one-and-a-half foot tall humanoid creatures encased in a ball of perpetual flame. These flames vary in color and intensity, more often than not being reddish-orange in nature, though blue-white and pure blue sun sprites are possible. A sun sprite's natural form is impossible to distinguish from within it's ball of flame, and it cannot willingly lower this veil.

Combat

A sun sprite is, normally, a passive creature. Sun sprites do not appear to grasp the concept that other beings are not fire-immune, and as such actually tend to make friends with travelers they come across. Reknown for their soothing voices and friendly disposition, many travelers are warned to stay far, far away from a sun sprite. Though this is often impossible, for once they see the sun sprite it's already too late..

Spell Like Abilities(Su): CL 18. Save DCs are Charisma-based. At will: Dancing Lights, Daze(DC 14), Light. 3/day: Searing Light, Fireball(DC 17), Burning Hands. 1/day: Summon Monster VI(Fire Elemental Only).

Fascinating Aura(Su): To gaze upon a sun sprite is to risk flying too close to the flames. Once a creature looks at the sun sprite, it must make a will saving throw (DC 20) or be Fascinated for 1d4+4 rounds. Creatures that fail this save will not defend themselves from the sun sprite, and will move toward the sun sprite at a rate of 5' per round. Save DC is Charisma-based.

Fiery Corona(Su): A sun sprite is perpetually wreathed in glowing light, and sheds light out to a sixty foot radius as well as shadowy illumination for another sixty feet. A creature that enters within ten feet of the sun sprite are blinded unless they look away. A creature shielding its eyes can circumvent the blindness effect at a -6 penalty to attack.

A creature within five feet of the sun sprite takes 2d6 fire damage every round it remains within five feet of the sun sprite. Any creature that close catches fire, as well as any unattended objects or any flammable materials being held by the creature. A DC 15 Reflex save prevents any flammable material being carried from catching fire, there is no save allowed for the creature itself. Save DC is Constitution-based.

Additionally, any creature that enters the sun sprite's square immediately catch fire and take fire damage equal to the HD/2 in d6s every round. (5d6 for base sun sprite) Entering the sun sprite's square forces a DC 20 Fortitude save or become fatigued. Save DC is Constitution-based.

A sun sprite can reduce the radius of it's Fiery Corona to it's own square and shed light only out to thirty feet with a standard action.

Bardic Music: Sun sprites are reknowned for their singing voices, and a sun sprite is treated as having a bard level equal to it's hit dice when determining access to any of the Bardic Music uses and their effects.

Cold Anathema: A sun sprite cannot abide cold temperatures for any long period of time. When the target of an ability with the [Cold] descriptor, a sun sprite takes 50% more damage than normal. On top of this, any ability with the [Cold] descriptor or any area that forces saves versus exposure makes the sun sprite fatigued for 1d4 rounds.

Background

"Lookin' fer a sun sprite?! Well.. I hear they are beautiful singers, but it's like skirtin' the bonfire mate. Get too close and you lose your flesh. -- Johnny Sharkin, Bard Extraordinaire.

To say that sun sprites are malicious is a misnomer. A sun sprite is no more or less evil than a child that crushes bugs. The child does not think of the bug's pain and suffering, because he does not recognize it as pain and suffering. Such is the problem of sun sprites.

Created when fey explorers entered the Elemental Plane of Fire and gave themselves over to the suns, a sun sprite is a natural pacifist. Unfortunately, they still retain the fey's urge to explore and learn, as well as the urge to make friends with any living being who will speak with them. On top of this natural urge to make friends, they also retain a very short lifespan due to their bodies' hyper-metabolism.

This proves to frequently be dangerous for any creature who strikes their fancy, or has it's fancy struck. Many-a-adventurer has found himself in a perilous predicament when it comes to these wonderfully inquisitive balls of fire.

Knowledge Checks:

Characters with ranks in Knowledge(Planes), or (Nature) can research the various aspects of sun sprites.

DC 5: Sun sprites are very good singers. Good enough to rival even the most talented of human singers.

DC 10: They cannot be approached by creatures without some way to stave off the flames. Without that, you just become ash on the dirt road.

DC 15: Sun sprites are not creatures of malice and hate. They simply do not understand that flames cause other beings pain. I suppose if one could make it more aware of the world around it..

DC 20: Sun sprites cannot, will not, won't ever, and can't ever enter an area of extreme cold. It is anathema to them.

Plot Hooks

--Theodor Grimhammer, a traveling cleric, has found himself in quite a bind. He ran into a ball of light on the road that spoke to him, and wanted to hug him! Luckily, he was able to distract it by throwing the shiniest thing on hand in the opposite direction. Unfortunately, that thing was his holy symbol.

--A strange ball of light can be seen dancing through the local forest at night. It usually leaves behind blackened holes in the ground and in the trees. It doesn't seem malicious, but it's frightening the kids..

--Traveling is dangerous business, and merchant caravans have it the worst. Between bandits and giant balls of fire that come for the shiny things they carry, none of the caravans get a break. Until the bandits are cleaned out and these balls of fire investigated, no trade can leave the city.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

This is my first ever monster. It's not alot, and is hardly encounter material, but I like it. If anyone sees anything glaringly wrong, please point it out.

Poppatomus
2007-06-06, 01:10 PM
I'll vote yes.

I really like the blinding mechanic you've come up with. Much better than my similar attempt. Very good work on the knowledge DC stuff as well. I do feel that the bit from the background about not entering areas of cold should be reflected in the "crunch" somehow, rather than just being a background rule.

Just on a fluff note, i am not sure that dirt turns into anything that would really be recognizable as glass. (maybe it does, I didn't think so though) It might make more sense to describe the ground's response a different way, or to make it seem less like a forest in the other parts of the description (make it in the desert, make them palm trees, make it near the beach.) Just a style thing, but figured I'd mention it.

The other question I have is, how can a creature not of the elemental plane of fire and with an int of 15 not recognize that it is harming other creatures. I recall vaguely there being a creature in the MM that has a similar approach, lighting stuff on fire basically by accident rather than malice, but I think it much less commonly found itself around flammable creatures and wasn't really inquisitive, more animal like. I could be remembering it wrong, but it seems like the first time this creature hurt something that could explain what was going on the flame sprite would understand the harm it was causing to others.

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-06, 02:07 PM
I'll vote yes.

I really like the blinding mechanic you've come up with. Much better than my similar attempt. Very good work on the knowledge DC stuff as well. I do feel that the bit from the background about not entering areas of cold should be reflected in the "crunch" somehow, rather than just being a background rule.

Well I did give it a cold weakness. I don't know how to represent not going into an area of cold though.. Maybe a spell with the [Cold] descriptor or an area that forces fortitude saves versus exposure automatically exhausts the Flame Sprite?

Just on a fluff note, i am not sure that dirt turns into anything that would really be recognizable as glass.

I really should change that..

The other question I have is, how can a creature not of the elemental plane of fire and with an int of 15 not recognize that it is harming other creatures.

It has a wisdom of 6. Yes, it knows that getting too close to someone burns them after they've burned to death. But it doesn't realize that everyone it meets is the same way. It learns then and there, it doesn't retain the learning for later.

puppyavenger
2007-06-06, 02:07 PM
The same way we can have dragons with 20plus in all mental stats waiting in a cave for a adventerer to come and kill them.

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-06, 02:20 PM
The same way we can have dragons with 20plus in all mental stats waiting in a cave for a adventerer to come and kill them.

I was going for the "I'm an oblivious killing machine" motif.

Poppatomus
2007-06-06, 03:29 PM
Good call on the wisdom. I hadn't been thinking of that stat that way, but it makes perfect sense and explains their natural inquisitiveness.

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-06, 06:43 PM
Flame Sprite: Wait! Come back! I just want a hug!
Fighter: No! No! NOO-OHGODSMYBODYISLIKEKINDLING!
Flame Sprite: Awh.. He burned like the last nine-hundred and ninety..-Ooh! Another person! Hey Listen! Hey! Hey Listen!

Merciless oblivious death machines.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-06, 07:04 PM
I have a question, if it's only attack mode is ranged, why give it weapon finesse?

Fizban
2007-06-06, 10:54 PM
State that they have really short life cycles, so they don't have enough time to learn that everyone burns easily. Alternatively, just state that they specifically can't learn it for some reason, or forgets it quickly, the creator/DM has free reign over the creatures brain capacity, regardless of it's mental stats.

Finally, they could just not recognize other creature's intelligence, just like a kid does not usually consider that a bug could be intelligent.

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-07, 08:52 AM
I have a question, if it's only attack mode is ranged, why give it weapon finesse?

Well I passed it off the pixie, which got weapon finesse. I guess that it could, conceivably, have a slam attack. I mean, really, if you consisted of a ball of pure fire, wouldn't throwing yourself at your enemy be the easiest way to kill them?

I'm just gonna remove it, since a slam attack doesn't fit with the creature's fluff.

As for their life span, ya I could do that.

Fixed up the name, and added in the aforementioned changes. It now has Cold Anathema!

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-07, 09:19 AM
Submit this to the main thread, please, otherwise it will not be added to the index.

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-07, 01:29 PM
It's there (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2697395&postcount=14), just at the bottom. I'm dual-updating my submission and this thread, so they're both up-to-date.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-07, 02:33 PM
MitP and the GitP Monster Competition are two different projects. I saw the MitP in the title of this thread and assumed it was meant as an entry in the Monsters In The Playground project. If this is not the case, please change the title to avoid confusing others.

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-12, 08:41 PM
The sprite's been updated. Anyone else have any comments?

Matthew
2007-06-15, 09:28 PM
I'm a bit confused about the saves. What does Force of Personality do again?