PDA

View Full Version : Census Count: How many different prestige classes are there?

Scalenex
2007-06-06, 07:59 PM
I only have SRD books myself, but everytime character concepts are discussed, someone brings up a prestige class. It seems like there are three or four prestige classes for any combination of two basic classes you can come up with, and two or three per each single classed. I'm just curious to how many there are not counting homebrew, no need for quasi-smart alec summaries.

DMG
1-Arcane Archer: The much maligned magic arrow thrower
2-Arcane Trickster: Excellent synergy from Rogue/Arcane caster combos
3-Archmage: For those who playing a high level wizard/sorcerer isn't enough
4-Assassin: Evil stealthy killers
5-Blackguard: the new version of the anti-paladin
6-Dragon Disciple: Give your sorcerer some teeth (literally)
7-Duelist: Swashbuckler light armor warrior, excellent for fighter/rogues
8-Dwarven Defender: Dwarven paradoxes, they get dodge bonuses and bonuses at holding their position simultaneously
9-Eldritch Knight: Quintisential Fighter/Mage
10-Heirphant: For those who playing a high level cleric/druid isn't enough
11-Horizon Walker: Explorer, particularly suited for rangers
12-Loremaster: Give your spellcaster some new abilities without harming your basic spell progression
13-Mystic Theurge: If there is a better class for dual spell casters, I'd like to see it
14-Shadow Dancer: Give your stealthy character some flair!
15-Thaumaturge: If you every wanted to base a character around the Planar ally spells this is the one for you!

Matthew
2007-06-06, 08:01 PM
Check out the Wizards Site. It has a compiled index for this sort of thing.

Zherog
2007-06-06, 08:01 PM
Consolidated List (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc)

There's 782 there. That, of course, does not take into account the hundreds that have appeared in 3rd party products...

the_tick_rules
2007-06-06, 08:26 PM
we need more lol.

RTGoodman
2007-06-06, 08:29 PM
Consolidated List (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc)

There's 782 there. That, of course, does not take into account the hundreds that have appeared in 3rd party products...

I was really impressed there for a minute, because I thought you had gone through and counted each and every one. And then I scrolled to the bottom and saw that it very clearly said "782 results."

SpiderBrigade
2007-06-06, 08:35 PM
Actually, some foolish courageous soul does need to count them by hand, because that list is full of duplicates, where the PrC has been published in more than one book. So the real number could be a lot smaller.

RTGoodman
2007-06-06, 08:41 PM
But I'm gonna go ahead and use that age-old stand-by and say "Not it!" :smallbiggrin:

Korias
2007-06-06, 08:52 PM
Actually, some foolish courageous soul does need to count them by hand, because that list is full of duplicates, where the PrC has been published in more than one book. So the real number could be a lot smaller.

Alright: I'll do it.

The Counting will commence!
20 at astral dancer
41 at blighter
65 at Citadel Elite

114 at doomdreamer
150 at elven higmage
200 at ghostwalker

250 at Illithid body tamer

300 at Mage Killer

350 at Ooze Master

400 At Sandshaper

450 at spellsword

500 At Vigilante

550 at Legendary Capitan
600 at Noctum Mancer

700 at Pragnostic Apostle

Their are 712 PRCS on that list.

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-06, 08:58 PM
I got 66 repeats.

For a total of 716 PrC's.

I may have missed a few so your prolly right at 712.

Korias
2007-06-06, 09:00 PM
:smallconfused: You did it too?

Yeah, theirs a lot of PRCs, and a few duplicates. I think I got em all. I'm not doing a second check though. Still, four as the difference? I think its pretty close to 713.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-06-06, 09:13 PM
Wow. That's a ton.

I actually kind of like the number being that high. PR's always seemed to be like specialization for your gameplay end to match your roleplaying end.

de-trick
2007-06-06, 09:33 PM
got a prestige for a humman druid

SpiderBrigade
2007-06-06, 10:45 PM
got a prestige for a humman druid...there's a lot. What kind of build are you trying to do? Might be a good topic for a new thread, actually :smallwink:

de-trick
2007-06-06, 10:53 PM
1st lev

str14
dex15
con9
int10
wis17
chr15

feats track, combat casting

EvilElitest
2007-06-06, 10:54 PM
Me and Innis Cabel can give you all the ones on this forum
from,
EE

Renx
2007-06-07, 04:49 AM
I'm just curious to how many there are not counting homebrew, no need for quasi-smart alec summaries.

Too many. End of story:P

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-06-07, 05:22 AM
There's at least one WotC PrC not on that list because the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327), which IIRC isn't in any book but only available on the Wizards site, isn't on that list. If WotC have published any other PrCs solely on the website then presumably they aren't in the list either.

Still, I knew there were a lot of prestige classes, but I never knew there were over seven hundred presitge classes. Bloody hell.

Callix
2007-06-07, 05:53 AM
Then, on top of 712 canon PrC's, we have how many homebrews *on this forum alone?* I don't know how people keep coming up with new ideas... then again... so many things wrong with the game... no wonder people keep trying to find ways of fixing it.

xKiv
2007-06-07, 06:20 AM
After cutting the descriptions (cut everything after the number, then the number and the sourcebook abbreviation, and trimming) and doing sort -u | wc -l:

714 unique lines
(as of 7 jul 2007 13:29 CEST)
And it took me all of 2 minutes, most of that time spent on cutting the superfluous text and logging to unix (damn secure paswords !-)

Zherog
2007-06-07, 10:32 AM
Remember, too, that there's lots of prestige classes with the same name, but they were rewritten when they were converted from 3.0 to 3.5. For example, the Order of the Bow Initiate is in both Sword and Fist (3.0) and Complete Warrior (3.5). The class shares a name, but there's mechanical differences - in some cases, significant changes.

Korias
2007-06-07, 10:36 AM
Then, on top of 712 canon PrC's, we have how many homebrews *on this forum alone?* I don't know how people keep coming up with new ideas... then again... so many things wrong with the game... no wonder people keep trying to find ways of fixing it.

Mainly, its the fact that a bunch of us find inspiration through material that is Copyrighted. The Pirate Lord that I made? Pirates 3. I made a Legend of Zelda PRC once. Hell, I'm making a full SYSTEM For Ragnarok Online currently.

Non Copyrighted things include A Lucky Bastard PRC, which was essentialy a dude that got huge amounts of luck bonuses and re-rolls, capping off at a 1/month Miracle, and the ability to summon a Luck Elemental (A Home Brew Monster, Which could force players to re-roll and take the lower of the rolls.)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-07, 11:27 AM
Also, some duplicates are not duplicates. For example, 3.0 and 3.5 Exotic Weaponmaster or 3.0 and 3.5 Kensei aren't the same classes in any form despite being intended as 'updates'. Some non-duplicates are actually updates such as OA's Maho Tsukai being updated in Unearthed Arcana as Tainted Sorcerer.

Dr._Weird
2007-06-07, 11:31 AM
got a prestige for a humman druid

No. There are no prestige classes in those 712 that could possibly be open to human druids.

Korias
2007-06-07, 11:45 AM
No. There are no prestige classes in those 712 that could possibly be open to human druids.

Or ANY Druid, for that matter.

bosssmiley
2007-06-07, 01:46 PM
n + 1

"There is prestige class of it. NO exceptions!"

xKiv
2007-06-07, 02:01 PM
n + 1

"There is prestige class of it. NO exceptions!"

Is there a prestige class for exceptions?

Scalenex
2007-06-07, 02:05 PM
I expected fewer than 200, The Wizard on the Coast is a very greedy person when it comes to spreading everything out amongst supplements....Since corporations are considered "persons" in many laws and contracts.

RTGoodman
2007-06-07, 02:17 PM
There's at least one WotC PrC not on that list because the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327), which IIRC isn't in any book but only available on the Wizards site, isn't on that list. If WotC have published any other PrCs solely on the website then presumably they aren't in the list either.

And I remember several of those, mostly kit conversions from previous editions. Two I could find are the Halfling Whistler (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061121a), and the Dwarven Chanter (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061128a), both bard PrCs.

bosssmiley
2007-06-07, 02:52 PM
Is there a prestige class for exceptions?

Chameleon (the "none of the above" PrC). :smallwink:

Thought you'd managed an x/0 for a second there too.

*phew* Universe Ctrl+S-ed by an egg again. :smallcool:

TimeWizard
2007-06-08, 03:16 PM
If you take a moment to think about it, there has to be one of each PrC in everygame world on the off chance one of the PC's will want to become one. 712ish different NPCs... I wonder what they're all doing with there time.

Belkarseviltwin
2007-06-08, 03:50 PM
If you take a moment to think about it, there has to be one of each PrC in everygame world on the off chance one of the PC's will want to become one. 712ish different NPCs... I wonder what they're all doing with there time.

Depends what PrC they are. The Assassin is working as a hired killer. The Ur-Priest is trying to steal the power of the gods. The Peregrine Runner is carrying messages between tribes of goliaths. And the Loremaster? He's sitting in a tavern in a hooded cloak, waiting for some adventurers to turn up...