PDA

View Full Version : Custom magic item: Undying Onyx

wormwood
2007-06-06, 10:32 PM
I want to create an item. I have no clue how much it should cost. I am looking for suggestions.

Basically, the item has one ability: It serves as the material component for any animate dead, create undead, or create greater undead spells that the possessor casts.

It would have the restriction that only evil folks could use it, though I don't anticipate any price cuts for such a restriction, merely flavor.

the wondrous items creation table pretty much has nothing on this one. normal wondrous items cost 50 gold x the material cost of the spell they cast (for an unlimited number of castings) but this one isn't actually casting the spell. Create Greater Undead has a material cost of 50 gold per hit die.

My first thought is 50 gold for unlimited casting x 50 gold for the cost of create greater undead x 2 for slotless. That gives a cost of 5000 gold.

Input please!

aaron_the_cow
2007-06-06, 10:39 PM
is it reuseable?????

wormwood
2007-06-06, 10:54 PM
Ah, sorry, yeah. The point is that I'm tired of throwing away gold on raising undead. I want it to be continually reusable for any casting of the undead making spells.

katarl
2007-06-07, 08:06 AM
We had a system like that, where you could have an item that made it free to animate undead up to a certain hd.

E.g for animate dead, you pay 25x50 (1250gp), and you can animate 1hd undead for free, 2500 for 2hd etc. The Focus always costs 50x the single use component.

Trivium
2007-06-07, 10:48 AM
5,000 gp for unlimited undead animation? What necromancer wouldn't sign up for that? It's better than carrying around 5,000 gp worth of onyx stones, for sure, and you don't have to worry about blowing the spell if you don't get the right number of Hit Dice. It breaks the rules of "If everyone would want it, it's too good." I see this as a must-have item for a spellcaster designed to animate undead minions.

For that reason, I think katarl's version is better. A character at the 1-HD skeletons and zombies stage would find the 1250 gp price reasonable, and the price scales up as your level goes up and you want more powerful servants.