PDA

View Full Version : Age of Ruin IC: When all your friends are dead

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Moechi_Vill
2007-11-08, 08:30 AM
Lucidae

Lucci springs closer, avoiding the stone giant, reaching for Kizima's body and chanting the end to a spell.

Ozzy_G
2007-11-08, 09:10 AM
Lucci runs into the room and sees Kizima badly wounded.
She runs forward to grab her, but the spry halfling jumps away.
Seeing that the small woman isn't coming with her, Lucci casts a spell, and disappears.

She reappears a fair distance away in the field outside.

Brickwall
2007-11-08, 08:43 PM
Kizima

Kizima does her best to keep her head straight, even through all the massive bruises and cracked ribs.

Carefully moving forward, she gives a couple conservative jabs, still ducking and weaving as best she can.

Come on, guys, get out of here already.

Moechi_Vill
2007-11-09, 02:50 AM
Lucidae

"I'll be back! Kizima wouldn't have a teleport!" Lucci teleports back to some sixty feet behind Orin.

"Orin!" she screams. "The halfling will not have my help. Let us both turn invisible and come back for them later!"

Ozzy_G
2007-11-09, 09:18 AM
The bronze creature steps forward and slams his hands down towards Kizima, but the agile woman dodges out of the way. She's managed to get him to walk forward, a good five foot from the top of the staircase, so Krashnix, Livina and the heavily-laden mule can get out.

Ozzy_G
2007-11-11, 06:35 PM
With a roar, Krashnix runs up the stairs and out at the bronze giant, delivering a mighty thwack with his flaming mace onto it.

Orin meanwhile scuttles around to the front door, seeing immediately the battle inside.

Lycar
2007-11-12, 02:31 PM
Orin, meanwhile, was still making his way around to the tomb entrance.

(I must find out what is going on... would be nice if i could make sure the mule survives... and the cleric... oh well, even if they all survive it's better then loosing the mule. And this woman creeps me out... strange, the short one wouldn't think twice about cutting my throat in my sleep and still i feel safer around her then Lucidae.... maybe it is because i've seen the other two before...)

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2007-11-13, 09:30 AM
Lucidae

No reply forthcoming Lucidae starts chasing after Akim.
~I need to find a way to coordinate with these people~

Ozzy_G
2007-11-14, 10:51 AM
The mule rolls its eyes in fear, but Livina manages to pull it up the stairs, behind the fighting Krashnix.
The great bronze giant swings its two heavy fists at Krashnix.

Moechi_Vill
2007-11-16, 04:51 AM
Lucidae

Lucci continues to chase after Akim around the temple, feeling a comfort in the routine.

Lycar
2007-11-17, 01:29 AM
Orin makes his way around the structure, reaching the entrance. Peering inside he finds Krashnix and Kizima doing battle with the golem guardian.

(Ugh... this doesn't look good. As much as i hate it, i have to do something to help .... i just hope i'll live to not regret this.)

Taking a breath, Orin puts up a cheerful face and, brandishing his staff. exclaims "Fear not! Reinforcements have arrived! This animated lump of metal is going down !"

And thus he bravely moves up to join the fray.

Lycar

Lycar
2007-11-19, 01:39 AM
Orin is somewhat surprised when Livina presses the reigns of the mule into his hand and goes to engange the Golem herself.

"Er... yes that's right ! Together we shall overcome this foe like all others before him !!

(Ooookay.... well, no complaining. If they insist on taking on that thing without me....)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2007-11-19, 09:45 AM
Livina readies Draven's old mace and dodges through the melee to stand next to Kizima.

Moechi_Vill
2007-11-27, 04:57 AM
Lucidae

Lucci moves closer to the fight, but carefully so, making sure there is something between her and the golem. She casts invisibility on the knight Krashnix.

Ozzy_G
2007-11-27, 09:48 AM
Kizima pokes ineffectually at the golem, while Krashnix tries to smack it mightily.
The golem smashes two great fists at Krashnix.
Then Krashnix vanishes, having been touched by Lucci's spell.
You notice that what damage has been done to the bronze construct is slowly healing.

Lycar
2007-11-27, 06:48 PM
Orin starts pulling the mule towards the exit.

"Forget the damn golem. It was created to guard this place and nothing else. If we go away, it will leave us well alone..."

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2007-11-27, 11:11 PM
Lucidae

"Then we could get to civilization."

Ozzy_G
2007-12-01, 08:11 AM
Krashnix's mace comes swinging out of nowhere, but bounces off the creature's tough armoured skin. His second blow badly dents its back though.
Nevertheless, the bronze giant doesn't really look that injured.

Livina's blow also bounces off the construct's armour.

Ozzy_G
2007-12-03, 09:40 AM
Seeing Livina and Krashnix pressing the attack, Kizima breaks her defensive stance and attacks furiously.
However, her little rapier just scratches the bronze giant ineffectually.
The golem swings one mighty fist around into the halfling's body, smashing her to the floor, bleeding and unconscious.
Then it steps on her head. There's a sound like a melon bursting, as Kizima's brains squirt across the floor.

Ozzy_G
2007-12-03, 09:55 AM
Lucci casts a spell, and taps Krashnix on the back. He vanishes.

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-04, 03:06 AM
Lucidae

"I can do that once more, Sir Knight. But I will render myself invisible as I cannot defend myself."

"She should have let me rescue her..." she whispers loudly and bitterly to herself.

Ozzy_G
2007-12-04, 08:41 AM
The mule bucks and screams as the smell of Kizima's insides reaches it. It flees out of the tower, dragging Orin along after it.

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-04, 08:56 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina has to repress the urge to drop the mace and flee screaming just like the mule.
"Godsdammit..." she whispers, barely able to keep up her defense as she stares at the increasingly-sticky patch of floor. When Lucci makes Krashnix vanish, however, the dusky-skinned Mokai pales a little as she sees the wheels turning in the giant's head. Even golems could count to one.
A sudden irrational rage seizes her, and she rams the mace with incredible force into the golem, before blanching once more and somersaulting backwards, out of reach.

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-04, 09:53 AM
Lucidae

The sorceress laughs. "You better accept me afterwards if I survive being left with this Protector consctruct!"
"Akim, be noble and turn me invisible then run directly outside. If it gives chase I will doubleline it from behind and bail you out; promise on ancient honour."

Ozzy_G
2007-12-04, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately, Akim is too busy being dragged away by the mule.
Livina's blow dents the golem's chest.
With a roar, Krashnix's mace once again appears out of nowhere, and smashes into the golem... and bounces off ineffectually.
His back-swing however, lands where Livina just hit, smashing a big crack into the thing's chest.

Ozzy_G
2007-12-04, 10:05 AM
The golem hammers both its fists down into Krashnix.

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-04, 10:07 AM
Lucidae

"... your faith is strong."
Lucci, still out of the golem's range runs away really fast, conserving her last invisibility spell.

She withdraws if necessary.

Lycar
2007-12-04, 01:06 PM
"I am terribly sorry Lady Lucidae, but i told you i am out of speeeeeee......."

Orin doesn't get to finish his sentence as he gets dragged along by the mule, holding on to the reins for dear life.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2007-12-05, 08:51 AM
Livina charges back and smacks the bronze golem, but her mace bounces off.
Krashnix unleashes a barrage of attacks, but only one dents the construct. Its injuries are still slowly healing, and it seems as if the group is only keeping the thing at a particular level of injury, not making it worse.
The thing lashes out at Livina with its metal fist.
Krashnix moves sideways, but it steps after him and slams its hand at him.
Orin is being dragged away down the hill by the mule, while Lucci has just run out of the door.

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-05, 07:04 PM
Lucidae

"I guess those other adventurers weren't so bad after all..." Lucci continues charging after Orin.

Ozzy_G
2007-12-07, 12:37 PM
By speaking soothing words to the mule, Orin manages to calm it down to a walk. By now he's about 30 feet from the tower, with Lucci just behind him.

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-08, 06:52 AM
Lucidae

"Hahaha! I haven't had such a good time since I was teleported to this world Akim!" Lucci says, catching up to her colleague.
"Don'tlet the others two know though." she gasps as she comes to a halt several steps behind the pair, starting to catch her breath.

Next round she'll walk up to Akim, looking anxiously around her back for the others.

Ozzy_G
2007-12-08, 08:01 AM
White light blazes around Krashnix, healing his wounds, as he retreats towards the door. The golem swings its heavy metal fist at him, but overbalances on its stumpy legs, and windmills its arms desperately to stay up. It takes it a moment to regain its balance, by which time Krashnix is just outside the door.

Ozzy_G
2007-12-08, 10:17 AM
Livina backflips onto her hands, kicking the construct in the chest, but her boot simply clangs off its metal skin. She pushes off the giant, somersaulting towards the door, twisting to land on her feet, cat-like, and runs out of the tower.
The creature charges after, reaches the doors, and slams them shut behind the group with a might boom.

Regwon
2007-12-08, 10:57 AM
Krashnix

Krashnix straps casually unstraps his shield and hangs it on his back. Once that is done he strides up to Lucci, his face like thunder, and grabs her by the throat. With fury in his eyes he pulls her close to his face and, with his voice barely above a wisper, says

If you attempt to flee and leave us for dead again your flamming corpse will light up the night for miles around.

He releases her and turns back to Livina. As he walks towards her he hangs his mace off his belt. Then he says

Are you injured? Do you need healing?

Regwon
2007-12-08, 10:58 AM
Double Post

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-08, 11:19 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina looks at Krashnix, a little worried.
"Hey, ease up Krashnix. What good would she be in a fight? But, um...I think I need a few minutes." She closes her eyes and breathes slowly for a bit, sinking down to crouch on the slick wet grass.
"I liked her..." she says, pulling her hood up to cover her face.
"I really did. She was waspish sometimes, but I really liked her."
She looks at the mace in her hand and then drops it on the ground.

Lycar
2007-12-08, 11:46 AM
Orin scrambles back to his feet and eventually manages to calm the panicked beast down to just on-the-edge and reclaim the reins.

"Yees.. you are a good mule, a brave mule and a very, very valuable mule too..."

The thunderous boom of the metal doors, marking the end of the battle catches his attention though.

"Ha! I told you the guardian won't follow us!" he exclaims triumphantly.

Then he notices that the headcount comes short.

"Where is Kizima ?"

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-08, 03:07 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina doesn't answer, but remains hunkered down and strokes the wet grass with her fingers.
"Maybe I should retire. Just take what's mine and get a nice farm or something, or a shop..."

Lycar
2007-12-08, 06:11 PM
Orin stares at the closed doors of the tomb that would now also seem to become the little halflings resting place.

"Did she .... ?"

He takes a deep breath ans sighs.

"I can't really say i liked her much but that she didn't deserve...."

He ponders for a few more moments, then he straightens up and declares:
"We have to get her out of there. Did you see what that golem does to it's victims ? She doesn't deserve to end up spiked to a wall like a specimen in some sick minds version of a trophy collection !"

"And what about Rego ? Rego Vel ? You know, the man who hired us to keep him safe. Are we going to just abandom them both ? Just like that ? Just because we happen to have the money we wanted to earn to rise our respective compatriots ?"

"... guess not then. Some heroes we are...."

He turns around, approaches the mule and picks up the reigns, starting to lead it away.

"Come. If we hurry a bit, we can be back at the city just after nightfall. I doubt the cultists are willing to stand in our way again."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-09, 12:58 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina looks up.
"Y'know... you're right, Orin. I owe her. I remember that filthy hell-hole cellar with that torturing bastard, and I remember when the door flew open, and there she was; like a mini-angel. If it hadn't been for her..." she trails off, and clutches her head.
"I'm scared ****less. But I owe her at least something better than that. Maybe...Maybe after a little rest? and a little better planning?"

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-09, 02:30 AM
"*gasp* I am sorry I panicked! My attempt to save Akim and then Kizima and the two of you later was of a misguided civilian nature. However Livina is right, you should not threaten me with death. I came back the first.
What religion is it you follow again if I may ask the Knight? I am not too familiar with it..." she asks with apprehensive scrutiny.

Lycar
2007-12-09, 04:09 AM
Orin pauses, thinking.

Then he smiles at Livina "Just a night of rest to regain our strength. And Kizima already unlocked the door and disarmed the trap. I don't know if the golem was created with instructions to reset any traps and lock doors again but i doubt it."

He walks a few steps over to Lucidae and puts a hand on her shoulder, reassuringly.

"And with the kind of arcane might Lady Baker is capable of providing, we cannot fail."

Orin turns to look Sir Krashnix into the eyes "DO not judge her wrongly, Sir Krashnix, the reason she teleported the two of us outside was because she realized that we would be useless in a direct confrontation with the golem, but might provide some decent support otherwise. Do you not remember how she turned you invisible, twice, so that the golem could not see your blows coming ?"

"So let us set up camp then, maybe on the other side of this accursed tomb. Let us rest and prepare to avenge Kizima. I doubt she would have done the same thing for me but...well... it is the right thing to do, isn't it ?"

Lycar

Regwon
2007-12-09, 09:07 AM
Krashnix

Krashnix seems to ignore Lucci and speaks to Orin

Returning to destroy that construct, save Rego Vel and aquiring the body of the small woman is indeed the right thing to do Sir Akim. Once we are rested we shall be a much better match for it. We may even be able to raise the little woman once we are in possession of her remains.

He then turns round to look at Lucci, a condesending expression on his face

I worship the Elder Goddess of Rage and Flame. Through fire there is purity. Through madness there is enlightenment. All else are pointless and insignificant, mere amusements to pass the time. Is that what you wish to know?

He once again turns away from her to Livina and Orin

Do either of you require healing before we retire? Tell me now so our power is not wasted later.

Lycar
2007-12-09, 11:09 AM
Orin shakes his head.

"Thank you, Sir Krashnix, fortunately i am unscathed. At least physically."

He peers at the cleric for a moment, head tilted slightly.

"Would you consider it madness to wish to restore the empire of humans ? To crush the archmages and their demon armies ? To bring peace and freedom to our people ? Because that is what is dream of, what i live for, what i have been striving for since i first got a taste of life, of true life. And not the hellish mockery that is the existance a soul suffers through at an archmages court..."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-09, 11:12 AM
Livina
Seeing Orin start to gear up for an oration, Livina interjects hurriedly.
"I think...I've got got some bad bruising. If you could heal me a little...please?"

Regwon
2007-12-09, 11:42 AM
Krashnix

As Krashnix moves to heal Livina he speaks to Orin

You wish to go against the largest power in this region? You wish to fight against unfathomable power and insurmountable odds? Is such a thing madness? Of course it is! It is stark raving lunacy!

He pauses and looks directly at Orin and smiles

But that is a good thing Sir Akim.

Casts Cure Serious Wounds on Livina
[roll0]

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-09, 11:51 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina rolls her shoulders and smiles as the healing energy courses through her.
"Aaaah....Thanks, Krashnix. But, wait" A look of concern crosses her face.
"Are you all seriously talking about trying to take on the archmagi and all that? Um, no thanks. I've spent enough of my life being bludgeoned and tortured without adding in whatever hellish magic they can conjure up. Do you know," she says, looking down at the turf, "That a couple of the magi still have a few of their rivals? They went and made them immortal just so they could seal them up in caskets full of acid, just so they'd drown and dissolve forever. Fifty years, and they're still there."

Lycar
2007-12-09, 02:22 PM
Orin spits to the ground disgusted.

"Yes, that is exactly the kind of ... fiends .. we are dealing with. And unless someone, anyone stops them, crushes them, utterly annihilates them they will continue to rape the land and the people !"

He looks straight a Livina "Maybe i'm doing this for all the wrong reasons... but what is the alternative ? Govan wants me to fuel a summoning ritual, the other archmagi might want to keep me alive if they knew about this, if only to thwart Govan... until he decides to do it without me. In which case he will simply summon fewer demons and my life becomes worthless to his enemies again."

"Or i could keep running and hiding, always trying to stay ahead of the next bunch of bounty hunters."

His voice turns bitter "Did you ever concern yourself with the fates of those you delivered to your masters ? No ? It's so much more convenient to think, hey, they deserved what ever they are in for. Or maybe, hey, it can't be that bad. I assure you, it can be that bad and much worse."

"You think what you went through in that cellar was bad ? Then you had a very sheltered life so far. I've seen people do something like that to amuse themselves and their guests. Sure, i'm a noble. I never had want for food or gold or.... even female companionship. But a life.... "

He turns to look at the horizon.

"Believe me or not... all i want is a life free of fear. If i have to crush the archmages and rebuild the empire to get that, well, then i'll have to do it. And there are others who share that dream. Sumner Kesh. Khorik Nulliop. Maybe even Hern... and you ? Do you think you can just keep living that life forever ? You aren't getting younger. You live on your quick wits and agility... until your age catches up with you.... or do you just want to die young, at your prime ?"

He looks back at Livina over his shoulder "Yes, i talk a lot. I'm good at it, sue me. I'm better at it then at fighting, that is for sure. But maybe.... just maybe i can raise some hope, some spirit of preserverance in the soul of others, of the people, my people, to rise and shake off the yoke of the archmagi."

*sigh*

"Maybe i just read too many fairy tales of heroic knights and just kings and benevolent gods.... but i'd rather live that dream then the nightmare i escaped."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-09, 02:35 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina glares at Orin.
"It was one job. You think I'm some kind of bounty hunter or whatever, but if you keep trying to hang that one thing that I already apologized for over my head, then...I don't even know what I'm going to do! You don't know me, you patronizing piece of spoiled pretty-boy cuuk.Mokai for excrement"
She shakes her head and tears a handful of turf from the ground as she rises.
"And you can't scare me with that aging crap. If this is your way of asking for help with your grand and noble cause, then you suck at it. Words you've got a way with, but you've got a hell of a lot to learn about people, Orin."

Lycar
2007-12-09, 04:42 PM
Orin listens to Livina, waits for her to finish and replies "You accepted the promise of money to bring back a living being against his will to someone who would do... whatever to him. Fact. And this fact makes you a bounty hunter. Fact."

"What, are you ashamed of it all of a sudden ? Look, i'm no longer holding it against you. You did apologize and that is that. No hard feelings on my side. Seriously, when i saw you in that cellar, hung like a piece of meat, bleeding... my first thought was 'serves the damn bitch right' . But.... well... maybe i thought it would be satisfying to see you suffer. But then i realized that was just what keeps the eternal circle of hatered and suffering going. I wanted to see you punished for something others were doing to me. I wanted you to bleed for my own impotence to fight back against those who would harm me. Heck i even had.... quite violent thoughts regarding Kizima..... but now ? It would be cheap and hollow. But it took me long to realize that."

Orin shrugs "If i wanted your help, i'd ask you. All i did was tell you what i want to do and ask you what you want to do. You are your own master, you make your own decisions. If you choose to part ways once we have avenged Kizima and raised our comrades, be it. If you choose to do something else, be it."

"And i had and have no intention to scare you with anything. I was just wondering.... you are right, i DO have a lot to learn about people. The people i DID learn about are .. other nobles. And some wouldn't even consider them people. So yes, i have a lot to learn. So i'm asking questions. If you don't want me to....."

He shrugs again. "Either way, if you think i'm patronizing while all i do is trying to learn to live in the real world, then there is probably not much we have to teach one another."

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-10, 05:40 AM
Lucidae

Krashnix
He then turns round to look at Lucci, a condesending expression on his face

I worship the Elder Goddess of Rage and Flame. Through fire there is purity. Through madness there is enlightenment. All else are pointless and insignificant, mere amusements to pass the time. Is that what you wish to know?

Lucci nods. "Yes it was, it will help me modify my actions in your presence in order to avoid possibly fatal negative reinforcement. As in - be perfect" and finishes this with a blank expression. She grows gradually more and more intrigued by the new conversation, but calms down soon enough however.

Lucci looks away, spotting for enemies.

Ozzy_G
2007-12-10, 08:13 AM
There doesn't seem to be anything moving out there. Just drifting fog over the grassland.

Lycar
2007-12-10, 06:10 PM
"[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Let... let us just set up camp, shall we.../COLOR]"

Orin just trailed off, seeming very tired all of a sudden, the energy with which he had been orating just moments ago apparently gone.

He quietly checks the mule if he is bearing anything like a tent or something else that would help with setting up a camp.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2007-12-11, 06:41 AM
Rummaging through the mule's panniers, Orin finds that there are two small tents, which could each fit about two people in.

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-11, 08:56 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina clamps her mouth shut as Akim continues his vituperations. As he rummages through the tents, however, she walks up quietly behind him.

Ozzy_G
2007-12-11, 09:42 AM
Akim suddenly feels a crippling pain in his lower back, and doubles over in agony, to see Livina standing behind him with her fist retracting.

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-11, 09:49 AM
Livina Lightfoot
She looks down at the noble, her expression carefully blank.
"My rebuttal." she says, and then picks up one of the tents to start to pitch it.

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-11, 10:12 AM
Lucidae

Lucci moves over and helps Orin get up, putting her lithe hands on his back and massaging the injured spot for a few minutes with a taciturn expression.
"Hold still and most of the pain will go away. It might even help a bit."

Regwon
2007-12-11, 03:20 PM
Krashnix

Krashnix watches the exchange and smile to himself. Then, pulling out a rag from his backpack, sits down and begins to clean the days gore off his mace and shield.

Lycar
2007-12-11, 04:17 PM
Orin cries out loud in pain and fear as the sudden pain wracks him. He goes down, eyes wide open with panic.

For a few seconds he just writhes around a bit, panting heavily, before he regains a modicum of composure.

He glares at Livina's back, his features contorting into a mask of murderous rage for a moment. But maybe his fear of Livina is greater then his rage, or maybe he is just wise enough not to antagonize her further.

When Lucidae offers her ministrations, he flinches away for a moment, but then nods. "That... that would be greatly appreciated."

The pain slowly fades while Orin watches Livina pitch her tent. He keeps his expression carefully neutral but his eyes... the fact that they have the yellow hue of a wolf doesn't really help either - it does not take much imagination to picture what Orin is thinking about right now...

Eventually the pain is almost gone and he gets up again, nodding at Lucidae.
"Thank you."

He proceeds to take the other tent from the mule, walks a few steps to get some distance from Livina's place and throws down the pack on the ground like a rock with which he wishes to crush something.

Then he goes and tries to set it up. How hard could it be ?

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2007-12-11, 04:43 PM
It doesn't take Livina long to set up the simple tent. Orin on the other hand, has never had to set up a tent in his life, and is soon entangled beneath a mess of fabric. He manages to get it out and fumble around until the tent is set up. It lists slightly though.

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-12, 03:10 AM
"I shall take the first watch." Lucci sits down somewhere there is cover but good overview of the surrounding area. "Livina, as you do not cast spells I will wake you up in four hours if you find the idea acceptable."

Regwon
2007-12-12, 11:23 AM
Krashnix

Krashnix takes out a loaf of bread, some cheese and some salted pork from his bag. He has a few bits to eat then offers what is left around.

Here eat. It is unwise to rest on an empty stomach.

Lycar
2007-12-12, 02:35 PM
Orin finally manages to set up 'his' tent. Sure, it is a bit lop-sided but none too shabby for a first.

He glances over at Livina triumphantly, uttering a single "Hah!" and struts over to his backpack, which he had sat down earlier and retrieves one of the ration packs he brought.

"Thank you Sir Krashnix. Allow me to share some of the food i brought."

"About the watch shedules, as an arcane caster, i require a full night's worth of sleep to recharge my... 'arcane virility'. I would volunteer to take the last watch...." he glances at Livina, smiling sweetly "if you trust me with sharp objects while you are asleep that is...."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-12, 02:41 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina chews on a bit of bread, her legs crossed in front of her on the long willowy grass.
"I'm quite sure you haven't got the time for petty revenge, what with a world to be saving." The Mokai ruffles her black hair.
"I expect you'll be far too busy fretting about 'your people' and composing more monologues to first of all learn to use a blade, and then work up the guts to use it. I can take second watch."

Lycar
2007-12-12, 03:22 PM
Orin glances over at Livina and replies with an ominous tone "You don't know the power of words...."

Then he turns to Lucidae and offers her some of his food.

"Thank you for your help. I do not want to appear ungrateful but please forgive me for not feeling particularly talkative right now."

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-12, 10:08 PM
Lucidae

"That is all right Scholar Akim, just please never say 'arcane virility' more then half a dozen times a day again" she replies with a friendly grin.
"Is that kind of wording what they teach you in the ivory towers?" she looks teasingly at him, not expecting an answer as he wants to go to bed.

Wordlessly she takes up the Knight and the Scholar's seperate offers of food, a little bit of energy would help her stay awake and healthy. And a little more later.

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-12, 11:57 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina lowers her chin to rest on the rough fabric of her shirt collar. Staring at her boots idly as she wriggles her toes inside them, she thinks back to Kizima and her last stand against the golem.
"She was trying to help us get out," she says, to no one in particular.
"She could have just run off and left us there. I mean, I would've been all right, and maybe Krashnix could have gotten out too...but still."
Mentally, Livina adds
and maybe she was worried about the mule too. That's fair enough.
"Adventuring is bloody dangerous. I think when I get all my debts settled, I'll retire."

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-13, 04:49 AM
Lucidae

"Mm." Lucci nods imperceptibly forward as she finishes gobbling up her eats in record speed whilst trying to show some sympathy. She gets up from her squat position with her cloak over her knees and throws it around her shoulders. She scans the horizon one last time then settles back in cover to spy at the encroaching darkness.

She endeavours to stay awake.

Regwon
2007-12-13, 09:32 AM
Krashnix

Krashnix finishes eating and picks the last few crumbs out of his beard. He packs all of his equipment way in one of the tents, making sure that his shield, mace and robe are within easy access. He then comes outside and sits down a short way from Livina.

This is a dangerous world we live in. And ours is a dangerous business we have accepted here. Kizima knew this well. It was for the sake of her friends that she came. We were ill prepared for the guardian of that tomb and she suffered because of it.

Krashnixs looks out into the the fog, gazing at nothing in particular

Although I am not a priest of Imshaeroth I know that within his embrace is where she now is. The underworld is not a vile and horrific place. We can take solace in the knowlege that she is likely to be quite content there.

Krashnix pauses for a moment in thought, then furrows his brow.

Even though you wish to retire due the the dangers we now face, there is worse to come. The oracles of Isana have dreampt of a terrible force comming to this place. Great armies of hell spawn, in the wake of the great all consuming fires of Goramesh. If these visions turn out to be true...no soul will be left untouched.

Again he pauses then shakes hsi head and removes his frown.

Regardless of what is to come, tonight, I shall take third watch.

Lycar
2007-12-13, 02:33 PM
Lucidae

"That is all right Scholar Akim, just please never say 'arcane virility' more then half a dozen times a day again" she replies with a friendly grin.
"Is that kind of wording what they teach you in the ivory towers?" she looks teasingly at him, not expecting an answer as he wants to go to bed.

Orin snorts "That was her idea.", gesturing at Livina.

Krashnix
Even though you wish to retire due the the dangers we now face, there is worse to come. The oracles of Isana have dreampt of a terrible force comming to this place. Great armies of hell spawn, in the wake of the great all consuming fires of Goramesh. If these visions turn out to be true...no soul will be left untouched.

After listening to Krashnix telling of the prophecy, Orin remarks "And that is different from the current state of affairs how? Does it matter if the fiends are being summoned by our archmages or some remote power? For the people who get crushed between the clashing armies it doesn't matter if they are being slaughtered out of fun, because someone else wants the land or because they just happened to be in the way..."

"Does the prophecy foretell of any quiet place where an adventurer could retire in peace, without having to wonder about just when a roving band of demons is going to raze your house and gut you ? Livina might want to know."

He doesn't even look up, just sits there, staring into the fire.

Lycar

Regwon
2007-12-13, 10:32 PM
Krashnix

Krashnix snorts at Orin condescendingly

Are you so short sighted that you cannot see past the end of your own nose? What is going on in this region is meaningless when campared to the plans of the Gods, even the goings on of this world. The petty squablings of some mages are nothing if the prophecies of the oracles come to pass. There is one comming whos power is unfathomable. Whos power dwarfs that that Gothul once had. The Archmages shall be swept aside with the ease that a cat plays with a mouse. Only the Elder Gods shall have the power to stop such a fiend, and they may not wish to. You see Akim, you, your troubles, the troubles about the people you make speeches about wanteing to save and even the troubles of this entire region, just do not matter.

Krashnix stands up and moves towards the tent

I am going to convene with my goddess. Wake me when it is my turn to take watch.

Lycar
2007-12-14, 03:44 AM
Orin retorts with a look of pity "And are you so caught up in the ways of the gods that you can't see your fellow man anymore ? What do the gods care about us, this land, this world you ask ? What do we care about the gods i ask. If they do not offer solace or hope, they are useless to us and their worship is a waste of time better spent living."

"The gods want worship ? They better do something for us. We will be dead in a 100 years. And the people who live then will be dead another century later. But we live now. We live in the now. Not the past, not the future, the now. And what we do now makes a difference. You think it doesn't mater what we do ? I will do what i have to anyway, gods caring or not, for that is what makes me human and not a mere animal, unable to fathom the mystery of it's own existance."

"I will fight that fiend as much as will fight the archmages if only ever i find a way to do so. I might not succeed, but at least i will have tried, unlike those who do not have the conviction to take their own fate in their own hands and are content to be led to the slaughter like sheep, be it by fate or by the 'gods'. Call it foolishness, madness, insanity, it doesn't matter. What matters is what we do. Right now, all i can do is dream and talk. But that might yet change.... it might yet change...."

He gets up again and retrieves his bedroll from the backpack.

"Very well, if the watches are set, i shall retreat now. Giid night everyone. Tomorrow we will avenge Kizima's death."

Orin goes to set up a place for sleep in one of the tents.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2007-12-14, 01:49 PM
Orin's dramatic finish to the monologue is rather ruined when he realises that, for decency's sake, he has to follow Krashnix into the tent.
Krashnix is already inside, his armour underneath his bag, using it as an uncomfortable pillow.

Ozzy_G
2007-12-15, 08:15 AM
Livina goes to bed and is soon asleep, while Lucci sits up and scans the darkness. The red moon rises, and about an hour later the blue moon. Lucci waits a few more uneventful hours until the red moon is about a third of the way across the sky. It's probably time for Livina's watch now.

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-15, 11:11 AM
Lucidae

Her thoughts for herself Lucci makes her way into the tent, waking up Livina carefully before nestling under her blanket and other available textiles.

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-16, 10:14 AM
Livina Lightfoot
"Mph." Still a little groggy, Livina wanders out and paces around the campsite, watching the horizon as she savors the feel of the wind on her skin.

Ozzy_G
2007-12-16, 07:39 PM
Livina wanders around for a bit, then goes and sits down for a while. She doesn't see anything worrying at all, though the fog is pretty thick anyway, so it's hard to see far. Eventually the blue moon is near the horizon, and it's probably time to wake up Krashnix.

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-16, 07:49 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Moving quietly across the now-slick heather, Livina stands at the mouth of Krashnix and Orin's tent, the blue moon making a diffuse halo in her black hair. Rolling up the sleeves of her shirt, she gently eases aside the flap of the tent and nudges Krashnix's foot with her boot.
"Pst! Your watch."

Regwon
2007-12-16, 09:32 PM
Krashnix

When Livina wakes Krashnix his eyes flare and he instinctivly reaches for his mace. When he realises that it is Livina, however, he relaxes and nods sliently. Tanking his shield, mace and blanket he sits between the two tents, watching and listening for anything out ofthe ordinary.

Ozzy_G
2007-12-17, 10:57 AM
Krashnix doesn't see anything strange or out of the ordinary. He sits there, a bit cold, as both moons set, and then eventually, the sky on the horizon starts to light up as the sun peeps over the horizon. It is dawn, and time for Krashnix's daily prayers.

Lycar
2007-12-17, 01:40 PM
Orin wakes up shortly after dawn but resolves to stay in his tent until he absolutely has to leave.

Eventually his full bladder demands attention, however, and he crawls out, disappearing around a corner of the tomb for a minute or so.

He is definitly NOT a morning person.

After returning, he wordlessly starts to rummage around in his pack, takes out his waterskin and takes a few deep gulps.

Then he sighs and pulls out the mirror, peers inside, makes a face and casts a quick prestidigitation to take care of stubble and bad hair.

The same spell also takes care of washing and ironing apparently.

At least he looks like he had a proper morning grooming.

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-18, 06:18 AM
Lucidae

Already awake Lucci finds this a good time to start casting preparatory spells in a hushed voice from her bedside, washing her face and rinsing her mouth with a bit of water then casting: "Mage Armour".

She crawls out of the tent.
"Hi Akim." she seems wide awake, a chirpy morning person with a smile on her angled face under the now purple feather hat (it seems to have changed from a brown hat yesterday).
"Sleep well?" she says, ignoring his depressed look; and the knight.

Lycar
2007-12-18, 02:46 PM
Orin looks up, still not entirely awake apparently.

"Oh good morning, Lady Baker. Eh.. i suppose i slept as well as circumstances permit. At least i feel my 'arcane vi...' power coming back to me."

"That reminds me. We should be having a plan for our attack at that golem. Lady Baker, what arcane forces of destruction are you capable of unleashing onto the metal brute ?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2007-12-18, 08:44 PM
Lucci and Orin notice that the fog, which is now very thick, is slightly pinkish.
You can see each other easily enough, but the tower is merely a vague smudge.

Lycar
2007-12-19, 01:43 AM
(Huh, strange.. is fog supposed to be pink ? Maybe a trick of the morning light.... or..)

Orin pauses, then, concerned he casts a quick Detect Magic cantrip and looks around with rising panic.

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-19, 05:58 AM
Lucidae

"Pink fog! Lucci screams at the others.
Blind desire to survive focuses her. She immediately casts 'shield' and steps towards Livina.

Mage Armor, Shield

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-19, 09:46 AM
Livina Lightfoot
"Er, what?" Livina rubs her ear with a slim hand and looks at Lucci.
"Did you just say... 'pink fog?' "

Ozzy_G
2007-12-19, 09:57 AM
Looking around carefully, both Livina and Krashnix, who's just finished praying, realise that the fog is indeed slightly pink.
Orin scans the area with detect magic. There's magic everywhere, really strong stuff.

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-19, 10:19 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina looks around uncertainly.
"Um, is it time to panic? I mean, I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be happening."

Regwon
2007-12-19, 10:21 AM
Krashnix

Krashnix looks up from his prayers and scowls at the pink fog. He mutters a spell under his breath and his eyes begin to glow. Quicky he casts a spell on his shield and then, with his mace and shield close to hand, retrives his armour from the tent.

Livina, if you would be so kind, I require some help donning my armour.

Casts Detect Magic and Extended Magic Vestments

Ozzy_G
2007-12-19, 10:24 AM
Krashnix too sees that the air is full of powerful magic.

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-19, 10:25 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Apparently seeing the wisdom of having someone armored in the party, Livina quietly complies, glancing over her shoulder between puzzling over pauldrons and greaves.

Lycar
2007-12-19, 01:18 PM
(.. not good.. not good at all...)

"Lady Baker ?" Orin asks with a voice that he is obvioulsy trying hard to make sound calm and collected "did you, by chance, ever happen across an effect like that in your studies of magic ? Because, if so, it might be useful to know what we ought to be expecting to happen..."

He continues to study the .. fog.. with a kind of dreadful fascination.

(..on the plus side, maybe i don't have to worry about Govan anymore...)

While Orin still ponders, something is tugging at his mind... and old, almost forgotten memory....

(.. red mist.... dwarven magic... chaos.... lady of fire...)

Then he suddenly bolts upright with a start.

"Uhm... maybe we should just break camp and ... go away .. far away... like now. We don't really need those tents, no ? I mean, we have our mule and all.... "

He really tries to control his feelings but the cold dread he feels makes him shiver and sweat cold sweat. And yet his smile is almost reassuring.

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-20, 12:46 AM
Lucidae

"Killing a lot of deserving cultists and offending ancient dwarves in one day is a bad idea Akim! She nods in agreement. "Let us forego your silly goal of saving the helpless scholar and withdraw unto civilization." she follows his moves quickly, leaving camp with him.
"Come now and save your lives, we must run!" she yells back to the two others.

Lycar
2007-12-21, 07:12 PM
"Okay, just to put things into perspective" says Orin with a strained voice, waving his arms around,"this 'fog' here is pure magic you are breathing. Magic is basically untapped potential, chaotic and unpredictable. And again, to put a point to it: We are currently breathing it. So, if you do not want to experience what sudden changes in our morphology this might cause, i suggest we try and get out of here about NOW !"

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-21, 07:55 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina looks around.
"Okay, so it's magic. If it's so deadly, then why isn't the grass here dead or turned into stew or something?"

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-21, 11:57 PM
Lucidae

"W... wait? It is pure magic?"
Lucci stops.

"Maybe it could send me back!" she blurts out.
"I'll regain my magic. It looks like this fog is not overly harmful or as Livina said it would have damaged the vegetation. It might have appeared before just now. Whatever it is, we are probably too late to escape it's possibly benevolent effects." The sorcerer squats down on the ground, her panic all but evaporated. She starts meditating without another word.

Lycar
2007-12-22, 08:23 AM
Orin blinks, are they really that daft ? This can't be good !

So he recites:

"A king with a beard and a stature stout
Once had a wish, nay obsession about
Being ruler of all, to be one with the world
Of being a god, or at the very least
Have the power thereof, to be thrall to no lord
But just you know it, a wish is a beast
Digs fangs in your soul and by my word:
Learn to control it or become it's feast
The king, he studied and studied and learned,
Sacrificed many for the power he yearned,
Summond demon an devil in insane fervour,
And yet none could grant, that what he wished for
So he struck a deal, with a lady of fire
'Oh be so kind to grant my desire'
'Fool' she said 'you shall yet have your wish'
And a fog made of blood sprung forth from the ground
To engulf all that stood or flew around
And one heard a terrible sound all about
Of forms and shapes, twisting and turning
Man, beast and plant, all were burning
With magic within and magic without
And the king with the beard and the stature stout
He finally felt as one with nature
But magic, i say, is a fickle beast,
Chaotic and evil, at the very least,
It turned on the king and he could not stand it,
He burst at the seams, but one good came from it
The fog disappeared and the world was as before,
Except for the king, for he was no more."

He pauses for a moment to let his words sink in.

"Choose your own fate, i choose to flee,
who's right, that remains yet to see..."

And he goes about to hurriedly grab his back pack even ignoring his bedroll and goes about to untie the mule, obviously intending to lead it away with him.

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-22, 08:33 AM
Lucidae

Lucci gets up wordlessly and follows him.

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-22, 01:35 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Standing back from the armored knight, Livina looks over her shoulder at the retreating pair.
"Wait, so you're giving up that easily? You're both magicians for the Lady's sake. And what happened to your noble talk about getting Kizima out of there? And Rego too? At the very least we ought to take a look at the tower; we owe them that much."

Regwon
2007-12-22, 03:21 PM
Krashnix

Krashnix is apparently unphased by the revelation about the fog and picks up a blade of grass to chew as he talks

How long do you think it will take you to reach santuary? Will you head back towards the cultist infested ruins, that very much want your head on a pike for stealing away their sacrifice? Or parhaps you shall rist the hours, even days long walk to the nearest village with no guarentee that there will even be an end to this fog. It seems that the safest place currently is within the tower with that guardian. We stand a much better chance of defeating it now we are rested and there may even be treasure within the tomb to help you with your quest against the archmages, that we dont ever hear the end of.

He spits grass and all onto the ground between him and the mule then says with a smile

Besides which, if you leave with that mule I shall have to kill you

Lycar
2007-12-22, 05:28 PM
Orin freezes in untieing the mule.

"... your arguments are compelling and your terms are acceptable..."

He takes a deep sigh.

"Look, i'm all for avenging Kizima and getting her body to resurrect her but did it occur to you that i don't like staying in this cloud of magic because i know a bit or two about magic ? Just because you don't believe it is harmful doesn't mean it is not. It doesn't care if you believe in it or not, it simply is. You could as well disbelieve the sun, it will still rise again tomorrow."

"Fine, but if you insist on braving the unknown danger of the fog .. well.. let it not be said i abandoned our quest. Give me a few minutes to collect myself. After all, you want me to contribute to the battle to come, don't you.... oh you might want to discuss tactics while i meditate .."

Orin turns and reenters the tent, lies down, closes his eyes and tries to tune out the wailing of every self-preservation klaxon going off in his mind simultaneously.

(Except the one about not antagonizing the fellow with the fiery mace.)

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-23, 12:01 AM
Lucidae

"Death-threats over a box of platinum?" Lucci seems suprised.
"You people..."

"Well if everyone is going to be blunt I would love to destroy the construct but I never made any speeches for the halfling."
With a minimal amount of exasperation Misallo Baker sits down again to meditate.

Lycar
2007-12-25, 08:50 AM
Eventually Orin emerges from the tent.

"Very well, as ready as i'll ever be. Got a plan ?"

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-26, 01:55 AM
Lucidae

Baker finishes meditating at around the same time. She casts her defensive spells, mage armour, shield, protect from arrows and eagle's splendour.

"If I bake the construct in flame, will it crumble or simply roast?"

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-26, 02:17 AM
Livina Lightfoot
The Mokai woman gives Lucci a Look.
"You never lived much around blacksmiths, did you?" The sentence is more of a statement than a question.

Lycar
2007-12-26, 11:06 AM
"Only one way to find out. Experimentation on the live subject. Or animated subject as the case may be."

Orin fidgets around a bit. As much as he wants to get this over with, he still is quite happy that he doesn't have to face the angry golem just now.

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-27, 01:42 AM
Livina Lightfoot
The Mokai woman gives Lucci a Look.
"You never lived much around blacksmiths, did you?" The sentence is more of a statement than a question.

Lucci looks back at the Mokai. "No" she answers.

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-28, 07:42 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina opens her mouth, as if to explain something, but then shuts it again.
It'd be like explaining candles to a fish.
Aloud, she says
"O-kay. Let's try our luck!"
Once more, the rather short Mokai woman hoists the mace clearly meant for someone much taller than herself. Re-checking the laces tying her cloak close around her, she cracks her knuckles and looks to Krashnix.
"You ready, holy man?"

Regwon
2007-12-30, 09:51 PM
Krashnix

Krashnix unclips his mace, straps his shield to his arm and replies to Livina

I will be shortly.

He sits down and begings to chant, swaying as he does. After a moment the swaying and chanting stops and his head drops to his chest. As far as anyone can see he has fallen asleep.

Casts Augury

Ozzy_G
2007-12-31, 07:07 AM
A dice tumbles out of Krashnix's still hand, bouncing on the ground.
It eventually stops, flat on the ground. The side facing up shows a bird made of fire, like the one on Krashnix's shield.

Lycar
2007-12-31, 07:31 AM
Orin watches Krashnix perform his brand of magic curiously. More divine magic to witnes.

Interesting.

He is a bit at a loss about what exactly the cleric is doing however, divine magic not being an area he knows much about.

When he notices the die fall, he takes a step to get closer and see what the die depicts.

(Hm.... interesting. I hope this is a good omen. Time to put on the confident face maybe...)

He peers at Krashnix, waiting for his reaction.

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-12-31, 10:03 AM
Livina Lightfoot
The Mokai woman shifts from foot to foot. Priests of the Kael Vorn did fortunetelling like this sometimes, and they were usually right, in Livina's experience.
Nervously, she brushes a wisp of hair out of her face, her coffee-colored skin oddly darker in the faint pink light of the mist...

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-01, 04:52 AM
Lucidae

Lucci Baker waits patiently for the others to take the lead towards the tower.

Lycar
2008-01-02, 07:23 AM
"Shall i cast my spell of arcane encouragement now ?" Orin asks hopefully.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-01-04, 07:18 AM
Krashnix opens his eyes, and looks at the dice. The omens are good, Isana smiles on our enterprise, he says. He picks up the dice and stands up, a mad gleam in his eye. Time to kill something!

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-04, 09:07 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina nods and moves slightly ahead of the group to the tower. Sparing only a quick glance to make sure nothing has changed since they had left, Livina nod to the others and prepares to open the door...

Lycar
2008-01-04, 12:27 PM
(... finally....)

Orin seems half reliefed, half anxious as he intones the arcane syllabies of his spell and waves his staff around dramatically.

"Ash't kalar ! May the power of the ancients guide us !"

Casting Good Hope. +2 on to-hit, damage, skill checks, ability checks and saves.

Suddenly feeling a lot more confident, he readies himself for the coming tempest of violence.

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-05, 02:03 AM
Lucidae
Lucci prepares to cast much fire.

Ozzy_G
2008-01-05, 07:39 AM
Livina hurls open the door, ducking to the side. Lucci shouts a word of power and hurls a small ball of fire into the tower. It explodes, the inferno obscuring whatever is in there.

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-05, 07:54 AM
Lucidae

She already cast her defensive spells right? The no rest part threw me off. Well, if you rule she hasn't I'd like to do that instead. Well, here is: :)

"Fire in the hole!" Lucci yells enigmatically, pitching in more fireballs as soon as possible.

Lycar
2008-01-05, 06:11 PM
Orin readies himself to charge in (right after the holy man).

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-01-05, 08:05 PM
As the inferno dissipates, Lucci immediately throws in a second fireball.

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-06, 02:19 AM
Lucidae
And another. And Another!
She pitches her arms down in the end, perspiring, looking joyful in the ember glow of inferno.

Regwon
2008-01-06, 10:37 PM
Krashnix

Krashnix watches the inferno within the tower, his eyes flickering with the reflection of the flames and brimming with joy. As Lucci throws fireball after fireball he weaves magic around himself, becomming stronger and more skillful with his mace. He stands in the light of the flames, a smile on his lips, looking somehow content.

Casts Divine Favour then Divine Power

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-07, 03:13 AM
Lucidae
Her task finished at last, Lucci throws a careless glance into the inferno, looking for the construct. She then turns to Krashnix, with something of a tired smile. "At last it looks like we share."

Ozzy_G
2008-01-07, 09:02 AM
Between the flashes, Krashnix, Livina and Orin see the construct striding towards you. It reaches just behind the door, and stops, waving its arms at you, but they are not long enough to reach anyone.

Lycar
2008-01-07, 12:58 PM
"Let us smith the bronze while it's still hot, shall we?" Orin asks, staff raised high over his head, ready to charge as soon as someone else goes first.

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-07, 11:46 PM
Livina Lightfoot
This is gonna be bad...
Taking a deep breath, Livina dives forward in a somersault, seeking to put the metal creature between herself and Krashnix inside the tower. With a grunt, she heaves the bulk of the mace-head towards the back of the statue's knee. Not that it was vulnerable there...but old habits die hard.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Lycar
2008-01-09, 03:29 AM
Orin had kinda expected Krashnix to lead the attack but whatever works. So he proudly moves up to the golem and attacks it. Sorta. It's more like he's distracting it really.

Move, then Aid Another to make the next attack on it easier, fighting defensivly. [roll0] Edit: Add +2 to that due to Good Hope.

Lycar

Regwon
2008-01-09, 11:31 AM
Krashnix

With flamming mace held hight and shield at the ready, Krashnix roars as he charges the guardian.

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-09, 11:37 AM
Lucidae
"Magic missile!"

I'm sure you saw the original roll. I just forgot to add two points of damage for a total of 19. :)

Ozzy_G
2008-01-09, 11:46 AM
Orin smacks one of the Golem's arms out of the way, allowing Krashnix to smash his flaming mace at the creature's belly, while Livina unleashes a hammer blow at the construct's side. Bolts of magical energy arc from Lucci's hands and ping into the metal skin of the giant.
The creature is badly burnt, cracked, and dented, but it's still moving, and the damage is slowly healing itself.

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-10, 01:47 AM
Lucidae
"Magic missile!" Baker points her index finger at the construct as if shooting a hand crossbow.

[roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-01-10, 12:30 PM
While Orin attempts to distract the creature, Lucci unleashes another rain of blows, but her kicks and punches just bounce off the golem's metal skin.

Lycar
2008-01-10, 06:12 PM
While he's buisy waving his staff in the golem's general direction without getting hurt himself, Orin still finds time to berate Livina.

"Not to sound condescening Livina, but i believe an animated lump of metal doesn't really have knees per se...."

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-01-13, 08:17 AM
Krashnix charges forward, smashing his mace into one of the cracks in the golem's armour, then swings again into the same place. His mace smashes straight through the creature's chest, and comes out the back. Very slowly, the golem topples backwards and collapses on the floor, inanimate.

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-13, 09:01 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina dances backwards a little as the golem sinks to the ground. She heaves a sigh of relief and gives a little thumbs-up sign to Krashnix.
"Nice! Now I guess we need to find Kizima and try to find Rego..."

Lycar
2008-01-13, 01:42 PM
Orin needs a moment to catch his breath after the brief battle.

"Victory is ours ! And you are right, we need to find our earstwhile comrades. Or what's left of them."

Taking just a moment to cast a Light cantrip on his staff, Orin steels himself and looks up first, where the construct apparently used to store his grisly trophies, fully expecting to find Kizima's remains up there, staked to the wall.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-01-13, 06:53 PM
Kizima is indeed stuck up there, hanging on the ceiling, with a stake right through her limp corpse.
Orin also notices that the stairwell leading to the basement appears to be filled with pink mist...

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-13, 07:56 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina winces at the horrific remains, completely headless.
"Well....I guess I'd better get her down from there..."
She readies a grappling hook and rope and tries to hook it on one of the spikes in the ceiling...
((Take 10 on use rope for 13))
[roll0]

Ozzy_G
2008-01-13, 08:00 PM
The rope sails up and hooks around one of the beams.

Ozzy_G
2008-01-13, 08:02 PM
The rope sails up and hooks around one of the beams.

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-13, 08:12 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Bracing herself, Livina climbs up the rope. It was grisly, but she'd seen stuff almost as bad as this before. And she owed the strange little halfling.
"Someone down there gonna be ready to catch her?"

Lycar
2008-01-14, 01:34 AM
"Hang in there a moment, we better get one of the tent canvasses. We need it to wrap her up anyway."

Orin hurries outside to fetch one of the tents.

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-14, 07:21 AM
Lucidae
Lucci watches Livina's corpse and the proceedings of getting her down with a sort of spaced out satisfaction, she barely notices the pink mist.

Ozzy_G
2008-01-14, 08:46 AM
Orin returns with a tent canvas.
Livina manages to slide Kizima's headless, splattered corpse off the stake. It's macabre work, and her hands are covered in thick, viscous blood.

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-14, 08:56 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina winces, but steels herself once more
It's not so bad girl; this isn't the first time you've gotten this much of someone else's blood on your hands before.
Nonetheless, her stomach is churning throughout the entire endeavor. As the grisly work finishes, Livina rushes outside and begins trying to clean her hands in the morning dew in the long grass, breathing heavily the relatively clean air outside...

Ozzy_G
2008-01-14, 10:02 AM
The group has now managed to get what's left of the tiny woman's corpse onto the tent canvas. Her rings gleam brightly, a strange sight juxtaposed with her gory corpse.
Livina notices that, as she cleans her hands on the grass, it writhes as if in a wind, yet she feels no breeze.

Lycar
2008-01-14, 01:17 PM
"What's with the others ?"

Orin gestures at the other bodies.

"We should at least do the decent thing and bury them."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-14, 01:51 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina walks quickly back in to the tower in time to hear Orin's suggestion. She keeps a straight face and nods.
You're not really that different; you're an opportunist too!
The Mokai woman begins climbing the rope again, this time to examine the mummified remains of the towers other trespassers...

Ozzy_G
2008-01-14, 02:19 PM
Livina looks at the four corpses nailed to the ceiling. The three humans have belt knives, but no jewellery. The gnome on the other hand, is festooned with strange items. Each of his fingers bears a single ring. The left one is gold with a black skull, the right one is a simple jade band. He wears these on top of identical gloves that are black but marked with a stylised cat. Around his neck he wears an amulet which seems to be a bit of bark inside amber. On his head is a black bandana marked with a skull. The skull glows with a dull green-grey glow.

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-14, 03:07 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Whistling softly to herself, Livina tosses down the three humans fairly quickly but lingers over the corpse of the gnome, recovering the headband and jewelry and gloves carefully before dropping him down as well.

Ozzy_G
2008-01-14, 03:18 PM
Krashnix and Orin catch the bodies and place them on the canvas as well. It's odd how they are only slightly decayed, as if they've only been dead an hour or two.

Lycar
2008-01-14, 05:48 PM
Orin watches Livina strip the items of the dessicated corpse and makes a face as if he just tasted something bad.

"... once a vulture, always a vulture..." he remarks in a low voice, not really caring if anyone hears him at this point.

Could at least have lowered the body down first.

When the bodies are placed on the canvas, Orin lifts one side and tries to pull them outside. Also he tries to remember if there were any shovels on the mule.

Looking up at Livina he says "Maybe you could help me digging the graves." (now that you are finished desecrating the dead...)

Orin only thinks the last part but his facial expression is telling enough for those who can read it.

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-14, 06:17 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina smiles a crooked smile at Orin.
"Sure. When we've done that, I guess we can leave this tomb we were about to rob for someone else who I guess we're abandoning. But hey, shovels away!"

Lycar
2008-01-14, 06:34 PM
Orin gives Livina a look, icy cold at first, but then giving way to something more akin to ... pity ?

"... you assume too much. Again. I have no intention to leave master Vel behind without having made a reasonable attempt at rescuing him."

Orin keeps pulling at the canvas. It is quite hard since 5 (well, 4 1/2 really) corpses do weight a lot and he isn't very strong.

As he pulls, he seems to be mulling over something. One can see his face work, jaw clenching and unclenching from time to time.

Suddenly he lets go of the canvas, straightens up and declares:
"You know what ? The dead can wait. I am going to search for Rego Vel now. Those who are with me, follow me."

And he proudly (albeit slightly stiffly) marches on towards the stairs, his staff held in front of him.

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-14, 06:40 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina laughs.
"That's the spirit! The living over the dead! Try and remember that when you're saving the world, 'kay?"
Nonetheless she re-enters the crypt, checking up on Krashnix and Lucci.

Ozzy_G
2008-01-15, 07:37 AM
Orin walks down the steps and into the red mist... and then back out. He looks rather surprised. He simply walked into and through the mist, only to find himself stepping back out. Trying again, he finds that the same thing happens.

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-15, 08:27 AM
Livina Lightfoot
The Mokai woman blinks.
"Huh.So the pink mist makes you turn around?"

Lycar
2008-01-15, 12:25 PM
Orin steels himself and goes down the stairs, fighting with his inner demons and holding his staff in a death-grip.

So he doesn't really notice that something is amiss until he suddenly finds himself face to face with Livina again.

He just looks at her dumbfounded for a moment. If his inner demons seem to stop struggling for a moment, just to look up and go 'what the .. ?' .

On the other hand, the fog didn't eat the flesh off his bones or anything. So he just turns around and deftly walks down the stairs again.

Only to find himself re-emerging at the top of the stairs again, without being able to say when or where exactly the 'turning point' was.

"... thats new. I don't know if it just turns someone around..."

He looks at the fog for a moment, head tilted thoughtfully and then reaches into his coin pouch and produces a single gold coin. He weights it in his hand for a moment, then deftly throws it down the stairs.

(So, either it's gonna come fly back right at me or it will simply disappear into the mist....)

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-01-15, 12:54 PM
A moment later, the coin comes flying back out, to land with a dull clink on the floor in front of Orin.

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-15, 01:39 PM
Livina Lightfoot
"Huh." Livina looks thoughtfully at the mist.
"Well, at least it didn't flense you. Let me know if you figure it out."

Lycar
2008-01-15, 02:24 PM
Orin ponders.

"Actually, this makes sense. The locked door and the trap ? Test of dexterity. The golem ? Test of stregth. The fog and tomb ? Test of... cleverness ... creativity.. ingenuity... hmm."

Orin ponders more and tries to scrounge together what he knows about dwarves. Did they like riddles ? They were powerful magicans. Did they enjoy clever traps ? Did they leave clues ?

He absentmindedly picks up his coin again, pocketing it.

"The truning point... Livina ? Would you kindly hold that rope of yours ? I shall hold one end myself, keeping it pulled taut. When i go down the stairs, keeping up the pull, i should be able to reconize the turning point when the rope starts to go slack again."

Orin waits for Livina to get into position and then slowly, deliberately goes down the stairs, staff in his right, end of rope in his left.

Halfway down the stairs he suddenly bursts out "Hah! And to think i even had a compass in that thrice damned backpack..."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-15, 07:53 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina watches bemusedly as Orin goes about his experimentation.
"How's knowing how deep it takes going to help you get down there? It's a whole crypt down there, not just a layer."

Ozzy_G
2008-01-15, 08:04 PM
Orin carefully walks through with the rope... and back. The rope is still taught. It travels into the mist and then back out again.

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-16, 07:38 AM
Lucidae

"This is why I prefer to earn my money in school's and laboratories." Lucci remarks.

"Though the latter landed me in this situation. Unto danger travels that which pays well..."
She just watches.

Lycar
2008-01-16, 02:07 PM
Orin looks quite perplexed as he suddenly come face-to-face with Livina again. He looks over his shoulder. Yep. Two parallel lines of rope.

He pulls at his end of the rope experimentally. Some of the rope on Livina's end disappears into the mist and his side of the rope gets just a bit longer.

He wordlessly gestures for Livina to hold his end of the rope in her other hand. Then he puts down his staff, puts one hand on each line of rope and walks down the stairs again, trailing the rope through his fingers.

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-16, 02:43 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina rolls her eyes. Who said it does the same thing every time? Maybe the fourth time the magic gets pissed and shreds you.

Ozzy_G
2008-01-16, 07:13 PM
Orin walks forward into the mist, his hands trailing the rope. He can't see, but his hands touch something. Each hand feels like they are touching... another hand. On the rope.

Krashnix and Lucci are sitting down, looking around. They see a man step into the doorway from outside. He's not trying to conceal himself in any way, his hand is risen in a greeting.

He stands about six foot tall, with broad shoulders and a chiselled muscle-structure. His black hair is long and dirty, pulled back from his face by a strip of leather around his forehead. He is barefoot, but wears primitive leather bracers, pants, and jerkin. On top of this, he wears a shiny, well polished breastplate, and a belt that seems to be woven from silver and copper. Peaking over his shoulder you see a rather ornate handle of a blade.

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-17, 05:47 AM
Lucidae

Lucci watches him silently, waiting for Krashnix to make a move.

Lycar
2008-01-19, 08:06 AM
Orin examines the phenomenom with a seldom felt sense of wonder.

(Ooookay... so presumably, these are my own hands i am feeling.... testing.... use right index finger to touch mysterious hand and see if left hand feels touched by ... oh yes... )

He ponders the result of his experiment.

(Strange though.... if the area of effect is a simple plane then theoretically, everything that passes past it ought to reappear instantly on the surface again. But even if the matter is mirrored, then it should create a conflict where the object in question is large enoug to intersect with itself ... pretty much everything past paper thickness. Except if they are somehow phased out and can interject each other without.. ugh, this is some very strange magic indeed.)

Orin decides to return to the others for now, taking care to measure the distance from where his hands met to the end of the staircase in arms lengths. As he does so, he calls out to the others.

"Okay, this is most astounding. It appears to be a sort of space-distortion magic, very strange and maybe some planar shifting effect on top too. But i am seriously out of my depth here, this requires a true specialist of the arcane to unravel. Unless we find a mundane way to circumvent the effect that is. Since we didn't have this problem the first time we entered the tomb level, i suppose it was triggered by the destruction of the golem guardian, anyway...."

Orin reaches the top of the stairs and notices the stranger. He shoots a short glance at his companions, then just takes a step and picks up his quarterstaff.

Straightening himself up he turns to the stranger and smiles at him.

"Greetings, stranger. Do come in by all means."

Orin is a davethrn human of pretty average heigth and built. About 5' 6" tall and slender. His hair is dark brown and cut short, also he appears to be well-shaven. He is wearing pretty mundane travellers clothes and no visible armour or weapons beside his quarterstaff. The staff, however, appears to have some sort of runes on it. While he does look fairly handsome, the most striking feature about him would be the yellowish colour of his eyes, which give his smile a slightly wolvish expression.

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-19, 01:44 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina positively flinches as she spots the stranger from the corner of her eye, dropping the rope suddenly and half-crouching. When it becomes clear that he has no sword drawn nor a particularly hostile look on his face, she stands again, silent and scrutinizing.

This fairly short Mokai woman peers out from beneath the deep hood of her gray cloak, her pretty coffee-colored face set in an expression of suspicion. Beneath the cloak can be seen glimpses of practical but well-made traveling clothes, as well as a small pouch at her hip. Practical but stained doeskin boots rest upon her feet, and two heavy-looking maces are criss-crossed upon her back, as well as a wicked-looking coiled whip.

MattKatt
2008-01-19, 08:40 PM
The stranger raises his hand and smiles at the assembled group. He speaks with a deep, roughish voice, though his words seem slow and deliberate.

Greetings, I am Tharok.

Lycar
2008-01-20, 05:25 AM
Orin beams and approaches the stranger.

"Welcome Tharok. I am Magus Orin Stillwater of Ralm, formerly Lake Stillwater. Just address me as Lord Stillwater though, we aren't exactly at court here... my fine companions here are Sir Krashnix, priest and holy warrior of Isana, Lady Lucidae Misallo Baker and Miss Livina."

He gestures at the others, indicating them as he calls out their names. Then he returns his attention to the stranger again.

"But enough about us. So then, Tharok, what brings you here? This is a very lonely place after all. How did you find it? Are you searching for treasure or fame and fortune? Where are you from?"

Orin fires off his questions one after another, like he's excited to meet Tharok and can't hear enough about him to satiate his curiousity.

Lycar

Edit: Forgot to mention: Also, the staff is glowing like if it is on fire. Which it isn't. It's just shining light.

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-20, 10:08 AM
Lucidae

The human maiden sitting sideways and leaning on the wall is blond, waifish, with a snappy hat and a red dress and boots.

"I suggest you tell us anything relative to our group's well-being Tharok."

Yes. That's a spell. DC: 21

Welcome to the party.
Lucidae is paranoid whenever she can (afford it).

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-20, 10:53 AM
Livina Lightfoot
"Yeah..." Livina glances at her companions, and then at the stranger.
"Excuse me a sec; Something I need to do outside."
Moving with fluid grace, Livina edges around the tall man with the blade and out the door...

MattKatt
2008-01-21, 08:44 PM
A little confused by the bombardment of questions from Orin, Tharok tries to answer each one in turn, sidestepping a little to let Livina pass, but eventually, makes sure to answer the important one.

I am Tharok, son of Thaven of the Car San tribe. I have been travelling these lands for days now. I came into the mist a while back and now I am here. I saw the bodies outside this tower and wondered if a battle had taken place and who... Tharok remembers the grey body outside ...the possible victors where. I was listening to you outside for a time before I came in and now, here I am

Tharok smiles warmly at Lucidae and Orin, but his eyes show signs of tiredness.

Perhaps you could tell me your tale of how you ended up here aswell, and why you seem to have trouble with the thing that keeps turning you around?

Lycar
2008-01-22, 01:40 PM
Orin listens to the stranger, smiling and nodding now and then. Some small voice at the back of his head tries to get his attention, but he dismisses it for now.

"Ah yes, the fog. A quite peculiar phenomenom but apparently harmless enough. How long did you travel this mist you said ?"

"Ach, our tale isn't much to talk about. A scholar and researcher of dwarven history hired us to to help him explore this tomb. But somehow he got lost, we got attacked by a guardian golem and now there is a magic barrier blocking the way to the lower level."

Orin shrugs apologetically. The voice at the back of his head is getting louder. It's starting to give him a headache....

"You probably saw your little camp, tent and mule and everything and decided to investigate, yes ?"

(You DID see our mule, didn't you ?!) screams the voice in Orin's head...

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-22, 06:59 PM
Lucidae

"I'm Lucienne - Sir Tharok, pleased to meet you." the young woman sitting on the floor answers you insincerely.
She's blond, green irises framed by a lean human face and appears to be somewhat short even on the floor, a diminutive build, clothed in dark sturdy leather boots and dark blue socks, a wide red hat sporting a white feather and a deep maroon dress that flows neatly over her bosom and around her hips, exposing only a hint of pale flesh below her neck and an amber shirt.

The clothes must have remained hidden in her pack yesterday. She edges over to him on her shins and knees in shuffling motions, childlike hand reaching out of her ample dress to pull his fingers up and down in greeting.

MattKatt
2008-01-24, 02:48 PM
Tharok shook the short womans hand gingerly I never knew women in these lands could be so...short then turned his attention back to Orin

I have been traveling for three days now, but the fog only appeared yesterday. Does it usualy turn this color in these lands? I continued my journey until I came upon this tower. I would have passed it by had it not been for your small encampment outside.

He took another look around the room.

What barrier bars your passage, my friend?

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-24, 03:08 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina re-enters the tower but lingers in the doorway, leaning nonchalantly against the doorframe. She stays quiet as she scrutinizes the newcomer.

Lycar
2008-01-24, 03:27 PM
Tharok took another look around the room.

What barrier bars your passage, my friend?

"Oh, that is hard to explain really... i recommend you try it yourself. Just pick up any of these two legths of rope and follow it ... it is quite self-explanatory really. Just hard to explain."

Orin smiles and gestures at the two ropes lying on the ground.

As soon as Tharok looks the other way, Orin tries to catch Livina's expression.

(... does she look like everything is okay or is she just ...)

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-24, 04:07 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina shrugs, her slim shoulders rising and falling beneath her travel-stained cloak. She taps the toe of her boot on the stone floor absently, and tries to keep her gaze away from the sticky red smear where Kizima had once lain.

Regwon
2008-01-24, 09:08 PM
Krashnix

Krashnix, who has been sat on the floor deep in a meditative trance, bearly notices the stranger come in. After a few minutes he shakes his head as if clearling away cobwebs and rises to his feet. He then turns to the newcomer, one eye brow raised.

Greetings Tharok, son of Thaven of the Car San tribe. As Akim rightly pointed out I am Krashnix Dreamscape, devout follower and militant of Isana. Where exactly do you hail from? I am not familiar with the name Car San.

Krashnix stands slightly over six foor tall. He has shoulder length dark red hair and a beard of the same colour. He is wearing a deep blue robe decorated with flame patterns and a large bird shaped of fire on the front. There is a similar design on the large shield that is strapped to his arm. A wicked looking mace hangs from his belt.

MattKatt
2008-01-24, 10:46 PM
Tharok smiles at Krashnix. My tribe is far from here, in the mountains in the south-east. Vey rarely do my people travel from our home.

He turned his attention to the staircase with the rope, I fail to see how a simple set of steps could hinder a group of people such as this, picked up one end, and started to walk down the stairs.

Lycar
2008-01-25, 01:32 AM
Orin smiles encouragingly at Tharok as he goes on to pick up the ropes and try the stairs himself.

As soon as he does so, however, Orin darts over to Livina and asks her in an urgent whisper. "I hope everything is all right out there ?"

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-25, 07:48 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina shrugs again.
"Yeah, looks okay. I mean, there's still pink mist, but..." She tilts her head in Tharok's direction.
"What about him?"

Ozzy_G
2008-01-25, 09:45 AM
Tharok walks into the pink mist, straight forwards... and then out again. Somehow he has got turned around. He's now got all the rope.

Lycar
2008-01-25, 12:52 PM
Orin seems to be somewhat relieved. "Well, that's good. Still, maybe it would be prudent to get our stuff inside where we can have an eye on it.. who know who or what shows up here next. About our new friend, well..."

Since Tharok reappears from the stairs just now, Orin returns his attention to him quickly.

"You see ? It is quite an amazing effect really. Unfortunately, we have to bypass it somehow you wouldn't happen to have an idea ? No ? He, so what is your area of expertise then ?"

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-25, 01:02 PM
Livina Lightfoot
"Yeah," Livina chimes in. "Our employer is down there, we think, and there's some traps and extra doors and other riddly crap like that."

Ozzy_G
2008-01-25, 01:08 PM
Suddenly, the ground seems to shift, and you are all thrown on your faces. You hear a startled ee-aw from outside, and the mule runs inside. The door slams shut behind it.
The ground stops rocking after a few seconds. Everything is quiet once more.

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-25, 01:15 PM
Livina Lightfoot
"..."
Livina pulls herself off the ground slowly and carefully, feeling the dark air above her head to make sure it doesn't contain spikes. Slowly, she straightens up. With the door closed, the room was abysmally dark.
"A-Anyone there?"

Lycar
2008-01-25, 04:16 PM
Orin raises himself from the ground and holds his staff high.

(Fortuntaely i cast the light cantrip on my staff before exploring the stairs...)

"Oh well, seems like the mule took care of itself..."

With a fatalistic sigh, Orin walks over to the door and tries to open it, fully expecting it to be stuck.

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-25, 07:00 PM
Lucidae

"Let's go downstairs!" Lucci says fatalistically and gets up on her feet, brushing down her clothes.

MattKatt
2008-01-25, 09:01 PM
Tharok rises from the floor, brushing himself off. "Car den cara dar! What was that?"

He strides over to the door and tries to help Orin open it.

While doing so, he turns his head back to the others. "It looks as if someone wants us to solve your little puzzle, my friends"

Ozzy_G
2008-01-26, 06:29 PM
The door opens easily, it isn't locked or anything. Outside however, the tent canvas with the bodies on is gone, as are the tents that were set up further away. The ground where they were has no grass, it's just earth. But everywhere looks exactly the same. There are a couple of small rocks and unusual flowers in the same places, they don't seem to have been disturbed. Most of the rocks on the ground have been thrown around though.

Lycar
2008-01-26, 07:37 PM
Orin breathes a deep sigh of relief as the doors open before him.

(... thank the gods for small favours. So it is not my fate to be entombed alive then...)

But then he looks around and realizes that the surroundings have changed, even though the changes are subtle.

Suddenly a sense of dread overcomes him and he staggers back from the door as if struck by a blow.

"No... no.... NOOOO ! This cannot be ! This MUST NOT BE!"

"Where are the tents ? Where are the dead ? What hapened this time ?!"

Lycar

MattKatt
2008-01-26, 08:49 PM
"Fear not, for perhaps there are signs of who has moved your camp"

Tharok moves past Orin and searches the ground, looking for any signs of movement.

Regwon
2008-01-26, 09:41 PM
Krashnix

Hearing Orins cry Krashnix walks over the the door. Seeing the barren patches of earth outside a puzzled look comes over his face.

This is most strange. I doubt anyone removing our small camp by hand would have the inclination, let alone the ability, to scour the earth where our belongings and companion lay. Some kind of magic has been used here, but i cannot think of a reason why. It is possible the cultists have used foul sorceries to steal them away, but why would be direct their attention against the dead and not the living? This is most bizzare.

One corner of his mouth displayes the very faintest hint of a smile.

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-26, 10:06 PM
Lucidae

Lucienne walks up between Krashnix and Akim as they head outside.
"We are obviously on another plane now. This is broadly called 'dimension' travel among scholars of my homeland." Lucci says with dead eyes, her voice betraying a flicker of amusement.

"Or it could be something else, but it is certain this is no longer your home so to say. Going along with my intuition I believe you will find things roughly the same albeit eerily unfamiliar."

"God must have heard the prayers of my youth and granted me adventure." Lucienne taps the dewy, mist soil of the Earth with her boot.
"Let's go adventure. Shall we?"
"I know you wish to bring your comrades back to life?" she says with concern at Akim. "But you should have listened to me long ago. You are far too unpragmatic. On the bright side, maybe Rego Vel is out here.."

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-27, 12:45 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina bites her lip.
"Um, when I was washing my hands earlier, I noticed that the grass was writhing, even though there wasn't any wind. Did the grass just...get up and go?"
She turns to look at the others, her dark eyes showing worry.
"And what scared the mule so bad it ran into a building that smells like death? If you've even been around mules much...they don't do that."
She bites her fingernail.
"And...the ground rumbled. And the building shook. We're way out of our depth here."

Lycar
2008-01-27, 11:01 AM
Orin just stares ahead for a few moments.

"... then we must leave. Cut our losses. Get away from here while we still can. Is that what you are saying? Admit defeat and move on to fight another day?"

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-27, 11:03 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina looks around.
"Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying. Except for the "fight another day part; screw this adventuring stuff." She crosses her arms and rolls her shoulders.
"When we get back? I'm retiring."

Lycar
2008-01-27, 11:50 AM
"... first we need to find out when and where we are... call me paranoid but... on the other hand, working as an aide to a magus in ralm wasn't exactly a safe occupation either."

Taking a look at one of the spots where the tents used to stand, Orin goes on "If the last time by backpack got missing is any indication, we might be in for some surprises. I'd rather go into the ruins and fight cultists. At least those i can fight, however inadequatly. But against this ..". He gestures to indicate the general surroundings.

"*sigh* Done packing. Anytime you want now."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-28, 01:48 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina pokes around the dirt where the tents had stood, albeit nervously.
nudging aside a few clods of dirt, she finds a few bent metal spikes with ropes.
Our tents? but what...
she tugs at the ropes for a moment, and then finds that they go directly into the ground.
She straightens up, hurriedly.
"I think something popped out of the ground, grabbed all our stuff, and just dragged it down. Don't ask me why there isn't a tunnel, but that's what it looks like...unless there was a sinkhole? but that wouldn't scare the mule mindless."
She casts one more glance around the landscape and tightens the sash on her traveling clothes, her quick brown hands working fast.
"Let's get the hell out of here."
So saying, she seizes the reins of the mule and begins walking at a brisk pace, back in the direction of the ruins.

MattKatt
2008-01-28, 01:50 PM
Tharok surveys the ground for a few moments before raising up again.

"Hmm...strange...its appears as if the ground opened up and swallowed your camp whole...but only your camp. The rest of the land is undisturbed..."

"...Dor vere kal, kelish"

He chuckled lightly at his own joke before turning back to the group

"Your friend is right. It would be best if we all left this area as soon as we can"

Lycar
2008-01-28, 02:45 PM
Orin

"No objections on my part. Let's go."

(Sorry Rego. If i knew a way to help you i would.)

Orin starts to walk off for the ruins briskly himself. He is not happy about how this turned out. But at least he now should have the funds to raise the one man, he believes could help him make his dream reality.

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-28, 07:06 PM
Lucidae

Feeling a bit down Lucienne follows behind Livina. Too bad a nice intellectual had to die, even if he, she concluded, he had been foolish. Midlife crisis must have brought his heart to it.

MattKatt
2008-01-28, 09:14 PM
Tharok stands still for a few moments, looking back towards where the distant mountains stand on the other side of the fog and planes, and then towards the group as they begin their departure for the ruins, and finally, towards the rolling fog skirting the lands beyond, cloaking them in uncertainty.

"Well, I shall not delay you from your quest. I thank you for the brief company and hope your adventures are fruitful. I ask that your days be joyful and many."

Tharok bowed humbly, one hand fisted and clasped by the other. He straightens and turns to leave.

Regwon
2008-01-28, 09:52 PM
Krashnix

Krashnix snorts at the sentiment of the rest of the group then calls out to Tharok.

Do you even know in which direction you are going? If you dont know this area of the world you are likely to get lost, which would be rather unfortunate considering this is a land full of mad, human sacrificing cultists of a god of lies, and where things suddenly disappear into thin air, which, incidently, is pink! Our quest, along with our employer, has just been abandoned so feel no guilt in leaving. I am of the opinion that there is more safety in numbers, especially considering our current situation.

MattKatt
2008-01-29, 08:54 AM
Tharok nods slightly at Krashnix

"You speak truth. These lands are unfamiliar to me, and larger groups are safer to travel in"

He pauses and thinks to himself for a moment, then continues is his usual slow and purposeful fashion.

"Very well. If you so wish, I shall accompany you on your journey. However, it must be known that this shall not be permanent. There will come a day when I must leave you. Whether or not you know the reason is yet to be decided, but I request that when that time comes, you will not bar my way. This event shall not be for many moons, so until then, my sword is yours"

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-29, 09:39 AM
Livina Lightfoot
The Mokai woman shrugs.
"Yeah, whatever. Now really isn't the time to be all mysterious, and you can leave anytime you want. Um. I think the temple was to...the West a bit. Maybe. Anyone remember better?"

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-29, 08:09 PM
Livina Lightfoot
The Mokai woman shrugs.
"Yeah, whatever. Now really isn't the time to be all mysterious, and you can leave anytime you want. Um. I think the temple was to...the West a bit. Maybe. Anyone remember better?"

"Twenty... thirty thousand feet to the west." Lucci answers

The Great Skenardo
2008-01-30, 12:16 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina's jaw drops.
"Wha-?" She squints suddenly, and stares at the pale woman suspiciously.
"You're pulling my leg, aren't you? "

Lycar
2008-01-30, 02:39 PM
Orin is somewhat dismayed to realize that, frankly, he has no idea in what direction they have to go to reach the ruins whatsoever.

Fortunately Lady Baker seems to know though.

"West it is then. Let's go already."

"... which direction IS west ?"

Lycar

MattKatt
2008-01-30, 06:39 PM
Tharok, looking slightly concerned over the parties discussion, throws in his two cents:

"Do you not remember which way you are going?"

Moechi_Vill
2008-01-30, 08:54 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina's jaw drops.
"Wha-?" She squints suddenly, and stares at the pale woman suspiciously.
"You're pulling my leg, aren't you? "

"I meant to the left." Lucci points to the way they came.
"I will teleport around if you want it, but the presence of the pink fog might kill me."

Lycar
2008-01-31, 05:25 AM
"Ha, that is easy: We just walk until we leave the fog and then you can teleport around to your heart's desire."

Orin didn't remember much about how teleport spells worked, but he knew that the caster only needed to picture the place he or she wanted to go to mentally.

Certainly, Lucidae would remember the ruins pretty well...

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-01-31, 08:49 AM
Tharok works out from the way he came which way is west. It's a bit more to the left than Lucci pointed.

MattKatt
2008-02-01, 05:04 AM
"If you want to go west, it is in that direction"

Tharok points a bit more to the left than Lucci pointed

The Great Skenardo
2008-02-01, 10:08 AM
Livina Lightfoot
"Er, okay then."
Livina scratches her head for a moment, and looks to what is supposedly the West.
"Well...let's get going." Livina falls back a little, and walks silently for a few moments. Suddenly, with a viper-quick darting motion, she slaps Tharok sharply on the shoulder!

Lycar
2008-02-01, 01:27 PM
Orin is about to change his travel direction when he watches Livina slap the stranger.

At first he just quirks an eyebrow but then, as no illusionary disguise is dispelled, he chuckles "What, you almost seem to be disappointed that no infernal noble is hiding under the guise of the travelling stranger..."

"Also we shouldn't be too worried about not going in exactly the same direction. After all, it's only a few hours of walking. Even if we miss the ruins by a mile or two, we should easily be able to spot them from that distance. So no worries."

And so Orin sets out to march on, ever confident (or at least convinvingly pretending to be) to find thier way back to civilisation.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2008-02-02, 07:49 AM
The group starts out, leading the mule, into the fog, the way that Tharok pointed.
As you walk through the fog, things flicker at the edge of your vision, and occasionally you hear the sound of footsteps, but there's nothing there. Occasionally you walk over bits of bare earth, which to an expert outdoorsman like Tharok look like the ground caved in, like what happened to the tent.
The things in the mist slowly get more clear. After about an hour and a half, you realise that the mist occasionally, fleetingly forms a face, but it's too quickly gone to examine.

MattKatt
2008-02-02, 08:18 AM
Tharok presses on with the group, but looks a little unnerved.

"The ground here seems to have been disturbed, similar to what we saw at your...um...camp. And this fog is like nothing I have ever seen. It swirls and moves as if it where alive."

He reaches out occasionally and swishes his hand around in the air.

"How far did you say the ruins lie?

The Great Skenardo
2008-02-02, 09:25 AM
Livina Lightfoot
One hand on the reins of the mule, the Mokai pats its snout reassuringly.
"Er...just a couple hours. Not too far."

Lycar
2008-02-02, 11:51 AM
Orin briefly wonders if he should recite the poem again. The one he read about the mad dwarf king, his tragic obsession and the red mist.

But then he decides against it.

No need to worry the stranger with things, which they can't do anything about anyway...

Lycar

Moechi_Vill
2008-02-02, 10:31 PM
"Ha, that is easy: We just walk until we leave the fog and then you can teleport around to your heart's desire."

"Let's try that later." Lucci says, smiling.

Ozzy_G
2008-02-03, 04:59 AM
Tharok leads the group unerringly, working out where the sun should be by the way the grass is growing. As you walk however, it starts getting dark, and within ten minutes it's as dark as night (a night indeed with no stars or moons, due to the fog). Yet it is still morning.

Lycar
2008-02-03, 12:54 PM
Orin is getting nervous. Really nervous. But then he found that telling a tale always had a soothing effect on him. Hopefully it works again this time.

"Say, did i ever tell you the story of Gundarak, the dragon slayer? No ? Maybe i should. It is such a magnificent tale ..."

So if nobody stops him, Orin will proceed and tell the long tale of Gundarak, dragon slayer and all-purpose hero of times past...

Lycar

MattKatt
2008-02-04, 05:41 AM
Tharok leads the group further to the west, while also listening to Orin's stories with great interest. He had never heared stories from other lands. About other lands, yes, but never had he heared of Gundarak, this man who can slay mighty fire-breathing beasts!

He pressed on, eyes open and ears listening

The Great Skenardo
2008-02-04, 11:50 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina bites her lip as the unnatural dusk descends on the group. There was no use getting worked up about this now; if she let even one crack appear in her resolve here, panic couldn't be far away. She pats the mule's muzzle, although who she was trying to comfort is anyone's guess.
Keep on going, girl; Soon you'll be out of this, and you can retire. Just a little longer...
It was a testament to the mental strain the acrobat was under that she even found Akim's prattling reassuring. Almost as if nothing could go wrong in the middle of a story; as long as he kept talking, the wolves would stay away.

Ozzy_G
2008-02-04, 06:35 PM
You keep walking, and after another couple of hours it suddenly, over about ten minutes, gets light.
The fog is even thicker now, you can only see about twenty foot. You should have reached the ruins by now, but in this fog you might pass right by them and not see them.
And there are... faces... in the fog. The face seems to be male and human, but disappears too fast for you to see more details.

MattKatt
2008-02-05, 05:44 AM
Tharok's stride started to slow to a walk, then a pace, and finally, he stopped alltogether. The fog had finally gotten to him. He was sure that there was something there. Something that means us peace...or harm

He raised his hand in a stopping motion to the rest of the group, then reached behind his back and drew his sword, its blade gleeming in the dim light. He sharpened his eyes and ears, searching for a sign of any possible enemy hiding in the mist

The Great Skenardo
2008-02-05, 07:56 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina almost whimpers.
"I just want to go home..."

Ozzy_G
2008-02-05, 08:40 AM
The face appears and dissapears too fast for Tharok to see any details, but Livina recognises it. It's the face of Rego Vel, mouth open in a soundless scream.

The Great Skenardo
2008-02-05, 08:49 AM
Livina Lightfoot
"Meep"
Livina walks a little closer to the mule and clamps her eyes shut.

Moechi_Vill
2008-02-05, 10:23 AM
Lucida Lucienne

"Everything is wrong here. Do we stay?"

Lycar
2008-02-05, 01:18 PM
"...'We could always just go home and call it a day.' Gundarak's rogueish companion said. But of course, as a true Hero, Gundarak would have none of this nonesense and... are you still listening ?"

Orin eventually notices that the others have stopped.

"So, what now? Are we quite there yet? I swear, it's hard to make out anything in this thrice cursed fog."

He looks around a bit, frowning.

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-02-05, 01:25 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina opens her eyes again, and glances Akim's way, the anxiety plain on her face.
"Orin...I just found out what happened to Rego. The Fog ate him."

Lycar
2008-02-05, 03:27 PM
Orin freezes for a moment.

"..."

"Riiight." Orin turns around to face the others and raises a finger. "Just for the record: Someone cautioned against spending any more time in this fog then absolutely unavoidable."

"Great. So what now. Don't look at me for answers. I'm just a glorified scribe for crying out loud!"

After pondering for a moment, Orin continues "Try to find our way back to the tomb? At least that is a proper place to spend the rest of eternity..."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2008-02-05, 05:25 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina shakes her head.
"Screw that; I'm not dying underground. And I know even less about this stuff than you do. Maybe...Krashnix, or Lucida? Ideas? It's dark in here, and we can't really see where we're going..."

Regwon
2008-02-05, 08:13 PM
Krashnix

Krashnix stands there frowning but unties his mace upon seeing Tharok draw his sword.

We cant see further than a few feet and we have no idea where we are. Even if we tried to get back to the tower we have no more chance of finding it again than finding anything else in this damned fog.

A dispairing look comes accross his face

There is nothng we can do. We are likely doomed to be consumed by this mist, of whatever horrors it conceals. This entire endevour is hopeless.

MattKatt
2008-02-05, 08:22 PM
"We do not stop, we press on, but slowly. The spirits only know what lies in this fog, but standing still is just as dangerous as moving. Only moving might get us out of this place quicker"

The Great Skenardo
2008-02-05, 08:25 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina shivers.
"Y-es...Let's keep moving, I guess. Think you could find our tracks from yesterday?" She asks, hopefully.

MattKatt
2008-02-05, 08:30 PM
"I shall try my best"

Tharok surveys the ground in an attempt to find some tracks, be they human...or ottherwise

Ozzy_G
2008-02-06, 10:39 AM
There are no footprints other than the group's own nearby, but as Tharok circles out more he comes across some faded bootprints, it looks like three adult humans, one a bit bigger than the others, crossed here a day or two ago, maybe three. They were travelling in the opposite direction to that which you've been going, so presumably they were going east, assuming you're going west like you want to.

MattKatt
2008-02-06, 10:46 AM
Tharok points out the tracks to the group

"They appear to be heading the other direction. Perhaps we should backtrack them to where they came from. It would possibly lead us out of the fog, and defiantly back to where these footprints came from"