PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Totem Warrior variant features, Dragon Totem, and a primal path: Ragechemist

Arkhios
2015-12-02, 04:31 AM
I made some homebrewing for barbarian about half a year ago, and a review for balance might be worthwhile.

Note, I'm using these in a game where I utilize 7th ability score: Sanity (found in DMG), but the secondary saving throw ability is shown because I could see these being used elsewhere too.

Summary:
1) Totem Warrior variant features
2) Dragon Totem for Totem Warrior
3) Primal Path: Ragechemist

———————————————————————————————————————————————
1) TOTEM WARRIOR VARIANT FEATURES:
Totem Warrior’s abilities which mimic spellcasting are replaced as follows. NOTE: A Totem Warrior who wishes to take either of the variant features, must take the another as well.

War Paints. You learn to decorate your body with images of — or related to your chosen Totem Animal. As a result, and perhaps due to the guidance of Totem Spirits, you gain increasing insight into the nature of animals and nature itself:
At 3rd level, you gain advantage with Wisdom (Animal Handling) checks and Wisdom (Survival) checks regarding animals.
At 14th level, you gain advantage with all Intelligence (Nature) checks.
If you are proficient with any of the above skills, you also gain Expertise with each check.
However, the paint wears off over time, so you must spend 1 hour painting the images to gain the benefits until you finish a long rest. This replaces Spirit Seeker.

Totemic Tattoo. At 10th level, you learn how to make your War Paints as ritualistic tattoos, making the images permanent. In addition you gain advantage with Charisma (Intimidate and Persuasion) checks. This replaces Spirit Walker.

2) TOTEM WARRIOR: DRAGON TOTEM

Dragon Spirit: (3rd level Totem feature)
A dragon’s spirit has chosen you to be its herald. The spirit manifests as a colorless and ghostly glow around you while you’re raging. The spirit grants you the Breath Weapon and Spirit Ward abilities, which are usable only while raging.

Totemic Breath weapon. As an action, you exhale a 15-foot cone of psychic energy. It deals 2d4 psychic damage and leaves the targets frightened until your rage ends. A successful Sanity or Wisdom saving throw (whichever is better) halves the damage and leaves the targets frightened until the start of your next turn. The DC of this ability equals to 8 + Your proficiency bonus + Your Constitution Modifier. You can use this ability a number of times equal to the amount you can rage per day, and you must finish a long rest to regain all uses. The breath weapon damage increases to 4d4 at 10th barbarian level, and 6d4 at 14th barbarian level. The dragon spirit cannot be attacked by any means, and it occupies your space without any penalties. The spirit is only visible to you and the targets hit by your breath weapon (hence they remain frightened whether or not they succeeded in the saving throw).
Spirit Ward. While raging, you also have resistance to Psychic damage.

Aspect of the Dragon: (6th level Totem Feature)
At 6th level, you gain a deeper connection with the dragon’s spirit and it provides you with increased survivability in harsh environments. If you have the Dragon Spirit totem feature, your Dragon Spirit manifests ghostly dragon wings that are visible to everyone at all times.

You become immune to exhaustion caused by extreme cold and extreme heat, and high altitude, as well as Frigid Water, do not affect you.
You can hold breath up to 15 minutes.
You can gain necessary nutrition by eating soft minerals, such as clay, but you can eat and drink as normal if you wish to. This ability does not allow you to burrow.
You gain resistance against falling damage at all times. You must have Dragon Spirit to gain this feature.

Draconic Attunement: (10th level Totem Feature)
Your soul becomes deeply attuned with the dragon’s spirit, and the spirit takes a vaguely humanoid form with draconic features, which mimics your every move. The dragon spirit manifests itself even when you are not raging and it is visible to everyone, yet it remains transparent and colorless, and it cannot be harmed by any means. If you also have either or both Dragon Spirit and Aspect of the Dragon totem features, you also get Improved Breath Weapon and Dreadful Aura, respectively.

Blind-sight. You gain blindsight out to 30 feet while raging.
Draconic Courage. You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened, whether or not you are raging.
Dreadful Aura. As you enter rage, you decide whether your totem spirit exudes an aura of awe or fear, which lasts until your rage ends or 1 minute, whichever comes first. Each hostile creature that starts its turn within 10 feet of you must succeed on a Sanity or Wisdom saving throw (whichever is better) or be charmed (if you chose awe) or frightened (if you chose fear) until the aura ends. A creature that succeeds on this saving throw is immune to your aura for 24 hours. You must have Aspect of the Dragon to gain this feature.
Improved Breath Weapon.The Totemic Breath Weapon increases in size to 30 feet cone. Once you reach 20th barbarian level, while raging you can use totemic breath weapon limited only by your ability to recharge it. To recharge you roll a d6 at the start of your turn and succeed with a result of 5 or 6. You must have Dragon Spirit to gain this feature.

3) PRIMAL PATH
Ragechemist

Second Wind. At 3rd level, while raging, you may use a bonus action on your turn to regain hit points equal to 1d12 + your barbarian level. You regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest.

Crude Concoction. At 3rd level, you may, by mixing select herbs, eat a Crude Concoction as an action on your turn to gain a special effect. If you are raging, you may eat the Concoction as a bonus action. Only usable once before short rest. You decide which effect to apply on yourself at the time you create the concoction, and each are mutually exclusive.

At 3rd level, the Concoction may grant you the effects of Jump or Longstrider.
At 7th level, the Concoction may also grant you the effects of Barkskin or Enhance Ability and you may eat one additional Concoction before short rest (up to a maximum equal to your Constitution modifier).
At 13th level, the Concoction may also grant you the effects of Protection from Energy or Water Breathing and you may eat one additional Concoction before short rest (up to a maximum equal to your Constitution modifier).
At 19th level, the Concoction may also grant you the effects of Freedom of Movement or Stoneskin and you may eat one additional Concoction before short rest (up to a maximum equal to your Constitution modifier).

Darkvision.
At 6th level, while raging, you gain darkvision out to 30 feet. If you already have darkvision, its range increases by 30 feet.

Raging Resilience.
At 10th level, you are immune to poison and disease while raging.

Improved Second Wind. PLACEHOLDER, LOOKING FOR SERIOUS SUGGESTIONS!
At 14th level, your Second Wind ability improves. You regain hit points equal to 1d12 + your Barbarian level + twice your Constitution modifier.

Arkhios
2016-05-04, 09:25 AM
Bumping this up, because I'd like to get some feedback from a larger audience.

N810
2016-05-04, 10:18 AM
hmmm... wondering about interaction between Dragon Born barbarian and dragon totem abilities ...?

All in all your custom paths don't seem over powered.
mostly non-combat abilities or once a day abilities.
although that lvl 10 dragon totem seems pretty good.

Arkhios
2016-05-04, 03:41 PM
hmmm... wondering about interaction between Dragon Born barbarian and dragon totem abilities ...?

All in all your custom paths don't seem over powered.
mostly non-combat abilities or once a day abilities.
although that lvl 10 dragon totem seems pretty good.

I don't mean to belittle your words, but is there really anything to be concerned about?
A dragonborn sorcerer could have both their racial breath weapon and burning hands from the first level, which ends up being more powerful in terms of damage in the end.
I designed the dragon totem breath weapon from dragonborn's breath weapon.
Basically, a dragonborn dragon totem warrior would just have two abilities that just happen to be similar, and most of the time he won't be able to use them very often.

EDIT: I just realized you might have meant whether a dragonborn totem warrior could use their racial breath weapon more frequently than usual.
I hadn't thought about that before, but certainly it might actually be quite cool. Not sure if it wouldn't be overpowered though.

I suppose the 10th level dragon totem feature might seem quite strong, but on the other hand, half of it basically just improves the 3rd and 6th level dragon totem features. If you don't have them, it's rather "tame", or so I intended.

Arkhios
2016-05-05, 07:29 AM
Made a few modifications to the OP, regarding the Dragon Totem Warrior's totem features.

Since by default a Totem Warrior may mix and match any Totem Spirits as they go through their levels, I made a few contingency changes to the latter two totem features. And in the process, added a new ability into Aspect of the Dragon. My goal being that if you dedicate yourself solely to the Dragon Spirit, the Dragon's Spirit rewards you. However, you don't have to take all of them if you don't want to, but likewise you won't get all of the abilities.

About interaction with Dragonborns, I thought about it, and came to a conclusion that Breath Weapon from Dragon Totem remains separate from a Dragonborn's Breath Weapon. A Dragonborn Dragon Totem Warrior won't be able to use their racial breath weapon more often than normal. As a result, I've changed the Totem Spirit's Breath Weapon name to Totemic Breath Weapon. Likewise, Draconic Attunement's Improved Breath Weapon only affects Totemic Breath Weapon, nothing else.

N810
2016-05-05, 09:10 AM
I was actually thinking if you where already a dragon born, taking this totem would give you a glowing spirit that looked more human than you.
"and the spirit takes a vaguely humanoid form with draconic features, which mimics your every move"

Also I was wondering how the breath attack stacked, but you covered that.

... hmm I wonder if the dragon totems should really just be a dragon path... ?

Arkhios
2016-05-05, 01:40 PM
I was actually thinking if you where already a dragon born, taking this totem would give you a glowing spirit that looked more human than you.
"and the spirit takes a vaguely humanoid form with draconic features, which mimics your every move"
That vaguely humanoid form was actually meant to resemble a dragonborn quite precisely, but I left it vague on purpose, because the setting I'm using this with doesn't have dragonborns at all, so it would be somewhat odd to refer to something that doesn't "exist." :P

... hmm I wonder if the dragon totems should really just be a dragon path... ?
That could be one way to go, but I rather like the Totem Warrior as it is.

Arkhios
2016-10-17, 11:53 PM
I was thinking I might expand from this thread to create two more Totem Spirit paths: Ancestral and Elemental

Any suggestions are welcome.

PapaQuackers
2016-10-18, 10:58 AM
I think giving the rage chemist a better version of second wind is kind of unfair to the fighter.

I like the dragon stuff though.

Arkhios
2016-10-18, 02:52 PM
I think giving the rage chemist a better version of second wind is kind of unfair to the fighter.

I like the dragon stuff though.

I was in the understanding that Second Wind for a fighter is 1d10+level because a fighter's hit die is d10.

Similarly Moon Druids can heal themselves by spending spell slots while in wild shape to heal 1d8 per slot level. Again, druid's hit die is d8.

So I figured that 1d12+barbarian level would be ok for a Ragechemist since a barbarian's hit die is d12. The improved version is rather unbalanced, I must admit, and I would consider it as a placeholder instead of a final ability.

Thanks for the feedback!