PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Arrow [Magic Item]

Kiroho
2007-06-08, 08:15 AM
Stuck Arrow (Bolt): This is a solid iron arrow or bolt that upon impact will act as an Immovable Rod. The arrow/bolt will not move from where it is, even if staying in place defies gravity. This enchantment will last for 60 minutes, at which point, it becomes a non-magical item. <Credit to DracoDei> The arrow/bolt can support up to 2,000 pounds before falling to the ground. If a creature pushes against it, it must make a DC 25 Strength check to move the arrow/bolt up to 10 feet in a single round.

If the arrow/bolt has dealt any damage to a target any attempted movement deals an additional 2d6 damage. This movement requires a full round action and requires a DC15 strength check to allow the victim to tear free. This allows for a 5-foot movement. A failing check prevents the victim from tearing free. A stuck target does not get any Dex bonus.

This arrow will deal double damage + 2d6 against any charging opponent. The target must then make a DC 30 Strength check or the charge is broken.

Any player making a mounted charge who fails the strength check, or who's mount is hit, must make a DC 30 ride check or be removed from their mount. Any creature suspended in the air by a wound from a stuck arrow, whether in this fashion or not, automatically takes an extra 2d6 subdual pain damage every round they remain suspended. A creature so suspended that is incapable of flight takes a -2 penalty on the strength check to move after being struck. <Credit to Pappotomus>

"I find targets so much easier to hit once they stop moving". William Tell

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, levitate; Price 500 gp.

Human Paragon 3
2007-06-08, 10:46 AM
Nice! What a super useful item. Too bad it'd probably be expensive to fill a quiver with them.

DracoDei
2007-06-08, 12:58 PM
Get a magically powered up crossbow to power this from, and trail silk line from it and you have Batman's grapple... put a Minor Creation set to silk rope and you get the rope arrows from "Theif".

Poppatomus
2007-06-08, 01:05 PM
does it have a chance to be destroyed? I was under the impression that magical arrows had a chance to be destroyed after having their effect.

Very cool idea though.

DracoDei
2007-06-08, 01:18 PM
Well, I would think it wouldn't technically be DESTROYED per se, but it wouldn't have a way of reseting it... maybe have it go completely dead on a successful 'Dispel Magic' rather than just be supressed for 1d4 rounds? Actually.... better to give it a 1 hour duration or something...

Poppatomus
2007-06-08, 01:23 PM
All of Draco's suggestions make sense.

also, it occurs to me that it should have an extra effect against mounted opponents.

Something like:

Any player making a mounted charge who fails the strength check must make a DC 30 ride check or be removed from their mount. Any creature suspended in the air by a wound from a stuck arrow, whether in this fashion or not, automatically takes an extra 2d6 subdual pain damage every round they remain suspended. A creature so suspended that is incapable of flight takes a -2 penalty on the strength check to move after being struck.

EDIT: adds a whole new risk to exceeding your total move during a jump.

melchizedek
2007-06-08, 01:37 PM
This looks like an awesome item. It makes me want to build an archer character just to use them,

Mr. Moogle
2007-06-08, 06:47 PM
You single handedly eliminated the use for an immovable rod, also this can be used as a cheap immovable rod

DracoDei
2007-06-08, 08:19 PM
Immovable rods are reusable, this isn't.

Kiroho
2007-06-08, 08:40 PM
I've made a couple changes based upon the excellent ideas posted here. :smallsmile:

Icewalker
2007-06-09, 01:40 AM
This is AWESOME!

One of the most handy things I've seen from the playground in a little while. Though I haven't spent too much time in homebrew recently.

I'm so using these. Archer villain here I come!

Gralamin
2007-06-10, 09:30 PM
*stares at it and laughs evily*My Players won't see this coming.

Excellent work.

Neek
2007-06-10, 10:52 PM
As to the re-usability, I'd simply mark it as 1/day. You can use it as a regular arrow, but if you say the command word before you let cast the arrow, you can activate this function.