PDA

View Full Version : Goodbery

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-06-10, 03:37 PM
When looking at the lvl 1 druid spell list I discovered the spell "goodberry" it changes 2d4 berries into goodberries that heal 1 hp and provide food for one day. 2d4 averages at 5, so could I feed lets say 4 character reliable by saving goodberries when I roll high to compensate for when I roll low, or do the berries wither after one day, the spell description doesn't specify.

Ashes
2007-06-10, 03:47 PM
When looking at the lvl 1 druid spell list I discovered the spell "goodberry" it changes 2d4 berries into goodberries that heal 1 hp and provide food for one day. 2d4 averages at 5, so could I feed lets say 4 character reliable by saving goodberries when I roll high to compensate for when I roll low, or do the berries wither after one day, the spell description doesn't specify.

Would you rephrase that question? I didn't understand it.

jamroar
2007-06-10, 03:50 PM

Each batch lasts 1 day/per level as per the spell duration. While the berries remain enchanted, they provide healing and sustenance as stated.

bosssmiley
2007-06-10, 04:01 PM
You don't roll how much damage is healed until the berry is eaten (as with healing potions). Until then you have a handful of tasty berries without any little white numbers floating above them.

So, no. No cherrypicking the goodberries I'm afraid.

edit: v & vv Ouch! Should I just sage this post for engaging mouth before brain then? :smallamused:

In an attempt to redeem myself I offer the observation that the Eberron "Five Nations" book presents Goodwine, a magical beverage with healing properties made from goodberries. I can only assume that it takes a lot of squished berries to make a bottle (or even a vial) of this stuff...

technomancer
2007-06-10, 04:16 PM
What are you talking about? Each berry heals exactly 1 hit point. Goodberry magics up 2d4 berries, each of which heals 1 hitpoint and provides sustinence for one day. Presumably the druid knows how many berries were successfully affected.

----------

Since the magic lasts 1 day per caster level, you most certainly could save them up, unless you were really low level.

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-06-10, 04:23 PM
Would you rephrase that question? I didn't understand it.

I'm sorry, I didn't have much time when I wrote this and i was worried I'd forget it if I wouldn't post it. jamroar however has provided me with an answer, it was an oversight on my part.

the basic question was: how long do goodberries remain useful? (the rest was explanation on why I wanted to know)
the Answer: 1 day/per caster level. (so I can use it like I wanted to at level 2+)

@bosssmiley
the berries all heal 1 HP, there are no rolls involved

Yechezkiel
2007-06-10, 04:23 PM
"Casting goodberry upon a handful of freshly picked berries makes 2d4 of them magical. You (as well as any other druid of 3rd or higher level) can immediately discern which berries are affected. Each transmuted berry provides nourishment as if it were a normal meal for a Medium creature. The berry also cures 1 point of damage when eaten, subject to a maximum of 8 points of such curing in any 24-hour period."

Outside of the time they are magical, they would decay like normal berries. And yes, you do know immediately how many berries are affected.

Jasdoif
2007-06-10, 11:10 PM
If you're worried about strokes of bad luck, nothing prevents you from casting the spell twice.

Neek
2007-06-10, 11:24 PM

Check the duration line. According to the SRD, Goodberry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/goodberry.htm) lasts for 1 day/level, which means as a first level caster, you can only keep such berries for a day. As a DM, I'd rule that after casting this spell, the berries won't keep past the spell's duration.

But then again, as a DM, I also allow you to cast Goodberry on a lot of other vegetables, and the magic can transfer if you cook it--keeping in mind the duration. I had a party out in a thick forest, and there weren't any berries. Just mushrooms. I allowed the Druid to cast Goodberry on the mushroom (earning the title, Goodshroom), and he then made Goodshroom soup. I ruled 1 mushroom == 2 goodberries, so he could bless half as many mushrooms as he could berries. It's just a little flexiblity with it.

Swooper
2007-06-11, 10:24 AM
Mmmmmm Goodberries. Minsc loves those. *BG flashback*

(Sorry, I know this is in no way relevant to the topic but I had to.)

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-06-11, 12:59 PM
If you're worried about strokes of bad luck, nothing prevents you from casting the spell twice.

that's nice, but you usually prepare spells first and cast them later, so if I wanted to do that, I'd need to use 2 lvl 1 slots every day and when 3 lvl 1 spells is all you have that's not always desirable.

Aquillion
2007-06-11, 01:24 PM
Hmm... if a decent-level caster wanted to sell Goodberries, I wonder how much he'd get for them? They have healing properties, and one berry is worth as much as an entire meal... that'd be worth at least a few sp.

Do they taste good, too? If not, the party's arcane caster can cast Prestidigitation to make them taste however you want. Then you can retire from adventuring and start up your own Goodberry business.

Jasdoif
2007-06-11, 01:32 PM
that's nice, but you usually prepare spells first and cast them later, so if I wanted to do that, I'd need to use 2 lvl 1 slots every day and when 3 lvl 1 spells is all you have that's not always desirable.True, it's not something you'd prepare everyday. Most likely you'd only prepare a second one if you didn't have enough berries leftover from yesterday's cast (in this case, 2). You can always convert the second spell into a summon nature's ally if it turns out you don't need more berries after the first one's cast.

Alternatively, the effects of starvation don't kick in until three days without food, so you could simply implement rationing among party members in case of goodberry drought instead of preparing second casts.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-11, 01:36 PM
Hmm... if a decent-level caster wanted to sell Goodberries, I wonder how much he'd get for them?
Basic price for spellcasting services is Spell Level x Caster Level x 10 gp. So 10 gp would be the going rate for 2d4 berries that last one day. For a more stable pricing system, just assume average rolls. That would be 10 gp for five berries, or 2 gp each. And that's just for CL 1.

Aquillion
2007-06-11, 01:49 PM
Basic price for spellcasting services is Spell Level x Caster Level x 10 gp. So 10 gp would be the going rate for 2d4 berries that last one day. For a more stable pricing system, just assume average rolls. That would be 10 gp for five berries, or 2 gp each. And that's just for CL 1.Jeez! Does anyone actually let players use that chart to provide spellcasting services themselves, though? I'd think it would make more sense to rule that that's the rate you earn when you're an established "service-mage" with a regular clientele and a reputation for working well for cash... a good resume, basically, and maybe even a degree from a prestigious university or something like that. Or maybe that demand isn't high, so the player can't rely on selling even a single first-level slot.

Because otherwise, a 5th level wizard with decent int who manages to sell all his spell slots for a day could make, let's see... 125 (cantrips) + 200 + 300 + 300 = 825 gp. Without taking any risks. Compare that to profession checks... yeah.

So why do full casters go adventuring, anyway? Setting up an honest business is more profitable. :smalltongue:

Cruiser1
2007-06-11, 05:05 PM
Goodberry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/goodberry.htm) is one of the best level 1 Druid spells because it effectively allows you to increase your spells per day, by using a spell cast today to benefit you tomorrow. Prepare Goodberry, and if you don't need the healing today (and didn't need to convert it into a Summon Nature's Ally), then that uncast spell doesn't have to go to waste. Instead cast Goodberry before resting, and the next day you'll have all your spells along with some free berries for extra healing.

Goodberry is for Druids, what Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer is for Wizards. Mnemonic Enhancer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mnemonicEnhancer.htm) is another cool spell that can be cast today to benefit you tomorrow. If you didn't need to cast it and use the spell slots it gives you today, then cast it anyway right before resting to prepare yourself an extra Fireball or whatever. The next morning you have all your spell slots, along with a free extra Fireball that you can cast that day.

Starsinger
2007-06-11, 05:08 PM
Do they taste good, too? If not, the party's arcane caster can cast Prestidigitation to make them taste however you want. Then you can retire from adventuring and start up your own Goodberry business.

"Welcome to Goodberry, home of the Goodberry, can I take your order?"

Silliness aside... Cruiser, I don't think windmills work that way. I'm pretty sure, Mnemonic Enhancer doesn't let you keep extra levels of spells. I think, like any other spell slot, they don't roll over.

Jasdoif
2007-06-11, 05:41 PM
I'm pretty sure, Mnemonic Enhancer doesn't let you keep extra levels of spells. I think, like any other spell slot, they don't roll over.No, it works that way. The spell gives you extra spell slots that you can prepare spells in, and these slots persist for 24 hours. If you cast the spell before you get your eight hours of rest, you'll have all your normal spell slots in the morning, plus the extras. You can prepare spells in the extras before your rest or after, as you see fit.

Of course, the viability of reserving a 4th-level slot to be able to prepare another 3rd-level spell or multiple lower levels of spells can be questionable in itself.

Cruiser1
2007-06-11, 06:05 PM
Cruiser, I don't think windmills work that way. I'm pretty sure, Mnemonic Enhancer doesn't let you keep extra levels of spells. I think, like any other spell slot, they don't roll over.

This does work. :smallsmile: The spell Mnemonic Enhancer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mnemonicEnhancer.htm) says that the extra spell slots granted last for 24 hours before going away. If you cast Mnemonic Enhancer right before resting, you can use the extra spells granted anytime the next day, where they only fade at the end of the next day. Resting doesn't automatically clear spell slots (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#wizardSpellSelectionandPreparatio n), where spell slots are only cleared when you cast the spell or choose to replace an old uncast spell with a new one in the morning.

Note Mnemonic Enhancer truly creates additional spell slots, meaning it doesn't merely replace the 4th level slot you cast it from or anything, because Mnemonic Enhancer also exists as a scroll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm). You could read a bunch of scrolls of Mnemonic Enhancer to give yourself a large number of extra prepared spells. Since Mnemonic Enhancer has Instantaneous duration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#duration), those extra spell slots can't be dispelled or anything. An excellent Wizard duel strategy in an environment where you're not allowed to have precast buffs (i.e. the duel referree does Dispell magic on you) is to cast Mnemonic Enhancer a bunch of times the night before, giving yourself a bunch of undetectable extra lower level spells.

Jack_Simth
2007-06-11, 06:55 PM
Cruiser1:
One Word:
Wands.

To be a little more verbose, the Mnemonic Enhancer is a 4th level spell, and any spell of 4th level or lower can be placed into a wand per RAW. A Wand has 50 charges when created. Wands are spell trigger items, which, by definition, take a standard action to activate. So that 10 minute casting time drops down to a single standard action. Sure, it costs 21,000 gp per wand (or 840 xp, 10,500 gp, and 21 days), but hey - you have 50 3rd level spells you can prepare, almost instantly, at a cost of 420 per spell. A scroll of a 3rd level spell at minimum caster level costs 375 gp, market. But then, that's for caster level 5, minimum save DC. If you made the wand yourself, you've got a caster level of at least 7. A caster level 7 Scroll of Fireball markets at 525 gp. Caster level 10, 750 gp. With a spell you've prepared, you get to use your own caster level, and your own save DC.

A Wizard can prepare spells whenever the Wizard has an available spell slot. The spell grants one. Got your spellbook? Poof! You have an extra 3rd level spell slot - or multiple lower level spell slots. Six seconds to prepare.

It's the Wand of Choice for an unexpected endurance challenge.... at least until about 10th level or so. Even then, it's ... rather useful.

Arbitrarity
2007-06-11, 06:58 PM
So it's almost as good as 3 staffs of (every 1's, 2n'd, and 3rd level spell you know) each of which cost 1 charge for 1 spell level?

Except for the prepare time?

:smalleek:

Oh, but you can do the same with open spell slots, unless your DM doesn't let you rest.

Jasdoif
2007-06-11, 07:02 PM
A Wizard can prepare spells whenever the Wizard has an available spell slot. The spell grants one. Got your spellbook? Poof! You have an extra 3rd level spell slot - or multiple lower level spell slots. Six seconds to prepare.Takes between 15 minutes and an hour to prepare spells in open slots. Like the Mnemonic Enhancer says, the extra spells need to prepared and cast as normal.

The one-round part is for recovering a single spell that you've just cast.

Jack_Simth
2007-06-11, 07:10 PM
So it's almost as good as 3 staffs of (every 1's, 2n'd, and 3rd level spell you know) each of which cost 1 charge for 1 spell level?

Except for the prepare time?

It's a 300 charge staff. Cantrips use 1 charge, 1st level spells use 2 charges, 2nd level spells use 4 charges, and 3rd level spells use 6 charges. It's smaller and more compact that most staves, and it takes an extra standard action to get the spell off, and it requires you have your spellbook out, but essentially, yes, RAW, it works that way.

:smalleek:

Eh, I have some small knoweledge of powergaming. Nifty trick, though, isn't it?

Oh, but you can do the same with open spell slots, unless your DM doesn't let you rest.

With open spell slots:
1) You only have so many in a given day. At 10th, you can't unload 50 Fireballs in a 100 round battle from open spell slots. You can do that with a Wand of Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer (Grrr.... I can never remember the spelling of mnemonic), at your caster level, and your save DC.
2) They take a minimum of 15 minutes to fill. If the mob's a minute behind you, you don't have that long to memorize a Featherfall to get everyone down the cliff safely (much less four Fly spells).
3) Each open spell slot is a choice you don't have right now, but that you can have later. With a Wand of RME, you get the best of both - a choice you can have later (as the Wand gives you a 3rd level spell slot to prepare when you cast RME) and you have all your options right now.

Now, potentially, the prepare form requires you to take the normal 15 minutes preparation time (as you prepare the spell normally). At the same time, it's spell slots that are prepared normally as a function of an instant spell, so it takes the time to prepare that it takes for the slot-making spell to take effect - instantly. Depends on your DM. Still a ... rather nifty wand to have, even with the weaker interpertation.

Arbitrarity
2007-06-11, 07:13 PM
The open slots bit was meant for flexibility :smallbiggrin:

I somehow bet my DM would say that you need to prepare it, i.e. 15 mins :smallsigh:

Jack_Simth
2007-06-11, 07:20 PM
The open slots bit was meant for flexibility :smallbiggrin:

I somehow bet my DM would say that you need to prepare it, i.e. 15 mins :smallsigh:Then it's still a standard action recall of a spell you just cast.

Prepare one Fireball, one Fly, and you have up to 51 Fireballs or 51 Flies (you did bring a swatter, right?), provided you stop and invoke the Wand immediately after casting each and every time. If you forget, it'll take you 15 minutes to get it back. It's almost a scroll of every spell you currently have prepared (of 3rd level or lower).

DreadArchon
2007-06-11, 07:30 PM
Takes between 15 minutes and an hour to prepare spells in open slots. Like the Mnemonic Enhancer says, the extra spells need to prepared and cast as normal.
Technically. If your DM isn't too picky, it works fine.

Jack_Simth
2007-06-11, 07:33 PM
Technically. If your DM isn't too picky, it works fine.Do note that if you abuse a strategy wherein you get big, balance-busting benefits from your DM not being picky, your DM will very likely get picky.

Saph
2007-06-11, 07:51 PM
To be a little more verbose, the Mnemonic Enhancer is a 4th level spell, and any spell of 4th level or lower can be placed into a wand per RAW. A Wand has 50 charges when created. Wands are spell trigger items, which, by definition, take a standard action to activate. So that 10 minute casting time drops down to a single standard action. Sure, it costs 21,000 gp per wand (or 840 xp, 10,500 gp, and 21 days), but hey - you have 50 3rd level spells you can prepare, almost instantly, at a cost of 420 per spell.

Since I've got a wand-making 9th-level wizard, I took the time to check this one out. And . . . nope, like I thought, it doesn't work.

From the SRD: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm)

Activation

Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 standard action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.)

So, 10 minutes per activation of the wand. Still useful, but nowhere near as powerful as all that.

Hope you weren't playing it that way in a campaign already. ;)

- Saph

Jack_Simth
2007-06-11, 07:59 PM
Since I've got a wand-making 9th-level wizard, I took the time to check this one out. And . . . nope, like I thought, it doesn't work.

From the SRD: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm)

So, 10 minutes per activation of the wand. Still useful, but nowhere near as powerful as all that.

Hope you weren't playing it that way in a campaign already. ;)

- Saph
Nah, DM's tend to be allergic to that sort of cheese.

Ah well, that's what I get for not reading further.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-11, 08:40 PM
Because otherwise, a 5th level wizard with decent int who manages to sell all his spell slots for a day could make, let's see... 125 (cantrips) + 200 + 300 + 300 = 825 gp. Without taking any risks. Compare that to profession checks... yeah.

So why do full casters go adventuring, anyway? Setting up an honest business is more profitable. :smalltongue:
I assume that, as you alluded to earlier, it's a demand issue. Very few people can afford even the 10 gp rate for a full 1st level spell. And spellcasting-for-hire is a sufficiently specialized service that those who can afford it aren't going to need it regularly.

Of course, when applied to PCs there's the whole, "If a PC sells it, it only goes for half the normal value" thing... which is just stupid on most levels.

Aquillion
2007-06-11, 09:58 PM
Of course, when applied to PCs there's the whole, "If a PC sells it, it only goes for half the normal value" thing... which is just stupid on most levels.Eh, it sort of fits in with the first part. Usually, when a PC is selling a magic item, what it amounts to is you running into town and accepting the first offer you get on it to offload it as soon as possible, preferably in the 15 minutes of shopping time between adventures. A shopkeeper, on the other hand, can have that Cloak of Resistance gathering dust on their shelf for 15 years until someone comes along willing to offer full price for it... it stands to reason they'll get better deals. Also, PCs tend to sell things used, and are often buying them new.

If you've ever tried to sell something to a secondhand shop and compared it with what they charge, you'd find that 50% is actually somewhat unreasonably in the PCs favor; 1/10th the price is much closer to reality.

JellyPooga
2007-06-12, 06:19 AM
Hmm... if a decent-level caster wanted to sell Goodberries, I wonder how much he'd get for them? They have healing properties, and one berry is worth as much as an entire meal... that'd be worth at least a few sp.

I did wonder about a similar concept once...a Cleric/Sorcerer who opens a cafe.

He uses his cleric levels to cast as many Create Food and Drink/Create Water as possible throughout the day. Create F+D makes something like enough to feed 3 people for a day per level. That's like 9 meals per level right. Create F+D is what, a 3rd level spell, so you have to be at least a 5th level Cleric, whic means 45 meals you can make per day. If you go Favoured Soul instead and take the Versatile Spellcaster feat, that goes up significantly (though you need to be 6th or 7th level to get Create F+D).

So he makes the bland food look like whatever the customer wants (it can look like whatever you want, it just tastes boring)...lobster, steak and chips, curry, whatever...and flavours it with Prestidigitation (which has a duration of 1 hour per casting...even at 1st level you can get a 10 hour total duration or something if you burn your 1st level slots too). Same goes for the drinks...it all looks like water, but taste-wise, it tastes like whatever the customer orders.

Given that you have no expenditure (you don't need to order any raw ingredients) except for replacing broken crockery (though that's possible to negate with the Mending spell), paying someone to do the dishes (oh no, wait, Prestidigitation cleans stuff too, that's out the window) and paying for waitress'/waiters (somewhat unavoidable, but there's the possibility of Mage Hand and/or Telekinesis there) you can undercut every restaurant in town and given that you serve every meal known to man, elf, dwarf or halfling (and more) everyone can and will eat at your Cafe/restaurant. Within a few months, you'll have put the local restaurants out of business and probably have enough to expand your premesis. After another few months, you'll probably have enough to hire a couple of extra staff, so that you don't have to do all the work. Within a couple of years, you're quite likely to have a small chain of restaurants and more money than you can shake a stick at.

Maccy-D's eat your heart out, this is really fast food...(what? 12 seconds to prepare any meal you can think of? Without any prior preparation. That's waht I call quick). you know what the best thing is? Every meal is completely nutritious, low-fat, tailor-made to suit the customers needs...fast-food and it's healthy...who could possibly compete?

Saph
2007-06-12, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I thought about that too.

The problem is with Prestidigitation. It doesn't say exactly what it can do for food beyond "flavouring" it. Given how crude most of the stuff is that Prestidigitation can do, that probably means that all it does is push the flavour in a direction - sweet, salty, sour, something like that. So you'd have to combine it with some sort of skill to make the food taste really nice.

Fun idea, though. My idea was to hire 1st-level wizards and sorcerers as waiters and waitresses. "Excuse me? My food's not salty enough." "Oh, I'm sorry, sir," *prestidigitation*

- Saph

SpiderBrigade
2007-06-12, 08:13 AM
I think it's a general dramatic law of science fiction/fantasy that magical or technological means of "re-flavoring" food can never be quite the same as "the real thing." A prestidigitation-altered meal could be tasty, but a connoisseur would notice the difference.

So I could easily see our sorcerous eatery dominating the "cheap, tasty, nourishing food" market niche, but I think there would always be those willing to pay more for hand-cooked elven cuisine, or similar. This is especially true because part of the cachet of high-priced fine dining is simply the luxury of being able to afford that level of personal attention.

Of course, the high-end dining niche could probably be similarly dominated by a higher-level caster with Magnificent Mansion...

Fixer
2007-06-12, 08:59 AM
As a GM, I would be forced to point out that Goodberry provides enough for one MEAL. As such, an average person would need three Goodberries per day to not need to eat anything else.

Thus, the spell can feed one reliably, two perhaps, and cannot feed three.

Or just one halfling. They have lotsa meals per day. ;)

SpiderBrigade
2007-06-12, 12:09 PM
Fixer, people can indeed survive, though not necessarily prosper, on a single meal each day. This is especially true if the food is healthful and nourishing, as Goodberry is. Furthermore, in D&D there are no penalties for hunger at alluntil nothing has been eaten for 3 whole days, or even longer if the saves are made.

Will the characters be happy living for extended periods on one goodberry each day? Certainly not. They'll be hungry and probably grumble about it. But they will not starve.

Furthermore, if you have a Druid in the party and are in a situation where fresh wild berries can be gathered, the Goodberries should be supplemented with survival checks. This whole debate strikes me as something you'd want to use in a pinch, for instance if you're running low on rations but you have to follow the orcish raiding party NOW and can't go back to town. So you tighten your belts, prepare Goodberry, and move.

Fixer
2007-06-12, 01:03 PM
Fixer, people can indeed survive, though not necessarily prosper, on a single meal each day. This is especially true if the food is healthful and nourishing, as Goodberry is. Furthermore, in D&D there are no penalties for hunger at alluntil nothing has been eaten for 3 whole days, or even longer if the saves are made.

Will the characters be happy living for extended periods on one goodberry each day? Certainly not. They'll be hungry and probably grumble about it. But they will not starve.

Furthermore, if you have a Druid in the party and are in a situation where fresh wild berries can be gathered, the Goodberries should be supplemented with survival checks. This whole debate strikes me as something you'd want to use in a pinch, for instance if you're running low on rations but you have to follow the orcish raiding party NOW and can't go back to town. So you tighten your belts, prepare Goodberry, and move.
Survival vs. Thriving. Adventurers tend to go through more energy than the average citizen.

Besides, I am saying that would be my ruling as a GM. Not saying it is for everyone. Otherwise Goodberry can replace Create Food & Water in many aspects.