PDA

View Full Version : Races for my campaign setting

brian c
2007-06-11, 12:21 PM
Most of these are pretty different from the regular PHB races, especially Gnomes and Elves. I'll post something about the Gods for this setting later, but basically two brother gods, Rabel and Baal, created humans. However, Rabel is LN and Baal is CN so humans split into two different societies. Rabel then created Dwarves and Baal created Elves to be more in their image, per se. Also, Dragons are the source of all magic.

I posted the Half-Dragon on the board before, and there are a couple minor modifications to it now. Please tell me what you think, if it's balanced, if it's cool, etc. I'm mostly still unsure about the LA for half-dragons and orcs. Also, these races use the Racial HP variant I posted about the other day.

Humans

Civilized (Rabelian) Humans
As Humans in the PHB, with the following exceptions.
Alignment: Tends toward Lawful
Racial HP: +0
Civilized: All Rabelian Human may choose one Craft skill and one Profession skill to count as a class skill if their class does not have Craft or Profession as class skills. If these are already class skills, this has no effect.
Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gnome, Halfling.

Wild (Baal) Humans
As Humans in the PHB, with the following exceptions:
Alignment: Tends toward Chaotic.
Attuned to Nature: All Wild Humans treat Knowledge (Nature), Survival, and Animal Empathy as class skills. If these are already class skills, this has no effect.
Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Sylvan, Elven, Halfling.

Elves
Wild elves are barbaric and tribal. Wild elves’ hair color ranges from black to light brown, lightening to silvery white with age. They dress in simple clothing of animal skins and basic plant weaves.
Abilities: +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence.
Alignment: Tends to Chaotic; almost never Lawful
Racial Bonus: +2 on Listen, Search, and Spot checks, Low-light Vision
Languages: Common, Elven. Bonus Languages: Sylvan, Halfling, Aquan, Ignan.
Attuned to Nature: All Elves treat Knowledge (Nature), Survival, and Animal Empathy as class skills. If these are already class skills, this has no effect.

Dwarves
As Dwarves in the PHB, with the following exceptions:
Racial HP: +1
Racial Bonuses: No bonuses against Giants; no bonus against spells or spell-like affects.
Civilized: All Dwarf may choose one Craft skill and one Profession skill to count as a class skill if their class does not have Craft or Profession as class skills. If these are already class skills, this has no effect.
Languages: Dwarven, Common. Bonus Languages: Gnome, Halfling, Terran, Goblin.

Halflings

Civilized Halflings
As (Lightfoot) Halflings in the PHB, with the following exceptions:
Racial HP: -1
Abilities: +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength
Size: Halflings are Small sized; they gain a +4 to Hide, +1 to attacks and +1 to AC, movement speed of 20ft
Racial Bonuses: +2 on Move Silently, +1 on ranged attack rolls, +1 on all saving throws, +2 on Listen checks, +2 morale bonus on saves vs. fear
Civilized: All Lightfoot Halfling may choose one Craft skill and one Profession skill to count as a class skill if their class does not have Craft or Profession as class skills. If these are already class skills, this has no effect.
Languages: Common, Halfling. Bonus languages: Gnome, Dwarven, Sylvan, Terran.

Wild Halflings
As Strongheart Halflings:
Alignment: Tends toward Chaotic
Abilities: +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence
Size: Halflings are Small sized; they gain a +4 to Hide, +1 to attacks and +1 to AC, movement speed of 20ft.
Quick to Master: Bonus feat at 1st level.
Racial Bonuses: +2 on Move Silently, +1 on ranged attack rolls.
Attuned to Nature: All Strongheart Halflings treat Knowledge (Nature), Survival, and Animal Empathy as class skills. If these are already class skills, this has no effect.
Languages: Common, Halfling. Bonus Languages: Elven, Sylvan, Terran, Gnome.

Gnomes
Gnomes get along very well with other races, and commonly speak other languages. They are friendly and smart, but lack physical strength and endurance. Gnomes were the first race to try to learn magic from the Dragons. Their magical academies are still the best in the world, and wizards are more common among Gnomes than any other race.
Racial HP: -1
Abilities: +2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution.
Size: Gnomes are Small sized; they gain a +4 to Hide, +1 to attacks and +1 to AC, movement speed of 20ft.
Racial Bonuses: +2 to Diplomacy and Listen checks, Speak Language is always a class skill, +2 racial bonus on Will saves.
Languages: Common, Gnome. Bonus Languages: Any; most common are Draconic, Halfing, Dwarven and Elven.

Half-Dragons
Dragons sometimes crossbreed with humans and elves, but rarely with other races. A Chaotic dragon is more likely to crossbreed with a wild human or elf, while a Lawful dragon is more likely to crossbreed with a civilized human, but almost never with a dwarf. A Half-Dragon has the following abilities and qualities, in addition to the base Human or Elf qualities but not including a bonus feat or bonus skillpoints if human.
Type: A Half-Dragon has the types Dragon and Human or Elf (whatever the other parent was). It is considered both dragon and it's other half for any race-based abilities or feats.
Alignment: Usually the same as the dragon.
Racial HP: +3
Abilities: +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
Size: Half-Dragons are Large sized; they have -4 to Hide, -1 to attacks and AC, 5 ft reach and movement speed of 40 ft. Half-Dragons do not normally have wings, however they can use a feat at 1st level to select Dragon Wings (from Races of the Dragon)
Racial Bonuses: +2 natural armor, darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, immunity to sleep, immunity to one type of elemental damage (depending on dragon type).
Spellcasting: Due to the natural magic of dragons, a Half-Dragon casts spells as a 2nd level sorceror, with the same number of spells known and spellpoints. This racial spellcasting stacks with a character's spellcasting from sorceror levels.
Languages: Same as base race, but add Draconic to automatic and Ignan to bonus.
Level Adjustment: +3

Orc
Orcs are barbaric humanoids. They appear as slightly larger and more muscular elves, but anyone who has encountered Orcs know that they are much more savage and vile, with notoriously bad tempers. Most Orcs live in nomadic tribes and sometimes intereact with elves and humans, both peacefully and violently. Some Orcs have become civilized to a degree, and it is possible, though rare, for Orcs to cross-breed with humans and elves. Orcs have the following racial abilities and characteristics:
Type: An Orc is a Humanoid with the Orc subtype.
Alignment: Almost always Chaotic, tends toward Evil.
Racial HP: +2
Abilities: +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -4 Charisma.
Size: Orcs are medium sized, but they have a powerful build. As such, they count as Large sized for beneficial effects such as using larger weapons and size bonuses for grappling, bullrushing and tripping, but as Medium sized otherwise.
Racial Bonuses: +1 Natural Armor, Darkvision 60ft, +2 to survival checks.
Rage: Orcs can Rage, as per the Barbarian class ability. This ability is usable once per day, but stacks with any uses of Rage that the Orc has from the Barbarian class or other sources. In addition, when determining a character's access to Mighty Rage, Greater Rage etc, an Orc's level counts as one higher than it actually is.
Languages: Common, Orc. Bonus Languages: Goblin, Terran, Undercommon, Sylvan.
Level Adjustment: +1

Half-Orcs
When an Orc breeds with an Elf or Human, the offspring gains a mix of the characteristics of its parents. Half-Orcs live with the tribes of either parent, and are generally accepted by the uncivilized peoples but face discrimination in large cities. Half-Orcs gain the following abilities and characteristics in addition to those of their other half. If the Half-Orc is also Half-Human, they do not get a bonus feat or bonus skillpoints each level, but do gain 4 bonus skillpoints at 1st level.
Type: A Half-Orc is a Humanoid with the Orc subtype and the Human or Elf subtype. He counts as an Orc and as a Human or Elf when determining effects based on race.
Alignment: Almost always Chaotic, tends slightly toward evil.
Racial HP: +1
Abilities: +2 Strength, -2 Charisma.
Size: Half-Orcs are medium sized. They do not gain the benefits of a Powerful Build.
Racial Bonuses: Darkvision 60ft, +2 to survival checks.
Languages: Common, Orc, (Elven if parent was Elf). Bonus Languages: Goblin, Terran, Undercommon, Sylvan.

Umarth
2007-06-11, 03:22 PM
I don't think your races that have HP adjustments are balanced.

A +1 hp per level is effectivly +2 con (miss out on fort sv and consentration checks but eh).

So a lot of your races wind up having unequal abilitys scores:

Dwarves: +4 con
Civ halflings: +2dex, -4 con, -2str
Gnome: +2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength, -4 Constitution
Orc: +4 Strength, +8 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -4 Charisma. (+1LA)
Half Orc: +2str, +4con, -2cha

Your going to find almost everyone playing Dwarven and Half Orc characters because of the unbalanced stat arrays.

brian c
2007-06-11, 08:45 PM
I don't think your races that have HP adjustments are balanced.

A +1 hp per level is effectivly +2 con (miss out on fort sv and consentration checks but eh).

So a lot of your races wind up having unequal abilitys scores:

Dwarves: +4 con
Civ halflings: +2dex, -4 con, -2str
Gnome: +2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength, -4 Constitution
Orc: +4 Strength, +8 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -4 Charisma. (+1LA)
Half Orc: +2str, +4con, -2cha

Your going to find almost everyone playing Dwarven and Half Orc characters because of the unbalanced stat arrays.

I don't think it's fair to say that it's the same as Con, because Fort saves are a big part of the game. Also, Orcs and Dwarves are particularly bad sorcerers, and in this setting sorcerers are the best full casters. That having been said, you have a point and I'm going to change the values a little bit.

Also: There are no half-elves, mechanically. Offspring born to an Elf and a Human is treated as being the same race as the mother. There may be minor cosmetic changes, such as a human with pointy ears or a curly-haired elf (they normally all have straight hair). The game rules will treat either of those characters as full-blooded human or elf though.

Same thing for (eww) "Half-Dwarves". Half-Dragon and Half-Orc are the only viable cross-breeds, since Dragons and Orcs are different enough from Humans/Elves, but are still able to breed with them.

Umarth
2007-06-11, 10:45 PM
I don't think it's fair to say that it's the same as Con, because Fort saves are a big part of the game. Also, Orcs and Dwarves are particularly bad sorcerers, and in this setting sorcerers are the best full casters.

It's not quite equal to con but it's close. Fort saves are nice but HPs are the big thing people really want out of a higher con.

On Dwarves as poor sorcerers: Why? Mechanically nothing in the race description makes them bad at it?

Orcs I see it -4 cha and +1 LA makes for a bad cha based caster. Dwarves don't seem to have that problem.

brian c
2007-06-11, 10:53 PM
It's not quite equal to con but it's close. Fort saves are nice but HPs are the big thing people really want out of a higher con.

On Dwarves as poor sorcerers: Why? Mechanically nothing in the race description makes them bad at it?

Orcs I see it -4 cha and +1 LA makes for a bad cha based caster. Dwarves don't seem to have that problem.

Dwarves are "As Dwarves in the PHB, with the following exceptions". I didn't write an exception for ability modifications, so they still have +2 Con and -2 Cha, which makes them not very good sorcerers.

Umarth
2007-06-11, 11:00 PM
Ah okay I missed that.

brian c
2007-06-12, 10:48 AM
Anyone else have anything to say, good or bad? I'm still not sure if the Orc and Half-Dragon LA are where they should be, or if the Civilized and Attuned with Nature qualities are really significant at all.