PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Sci-Fi Supplement

Turtlemancer
2015-12-12, 05:58 AM
Greetings true believers, and welcome to the Stars!

https://youtu.be/hdjL8WXjlGI

What is this place?
Have you ever wanted to explore a Swords and Sorcery setting set in SPACE! Well knows your chance! Or it soon will be. I want to start building a sort of free fan made supplement for space faring D&D Adventures. The idea is that this will be a sort of Nexus for all the things I plan to put into the supplement.

Can I submit ideas too, and if so will you take all the credit?
I would love to have any help I can get. Anyone who submits a suggestion Will be credited in the book twice (Or more if they summit more than one thing) They will be credited in the title of their submitted addition, like so.

Space and Time Domain Cleric's
By Turtlemancer

in addition to at the back of the supplement. With the page number for each of their additions next to their name. Like so.

Turtlemancer (Pg. 12, Pg.42)

However I would like to add that I hope to make sure the Supplement is balanced enough that any DM could just pick it up slap it onto the base 5e framework and be awesome.

General
Space Opera
Steam-Punk
Spelljammer
Races
Hadozee by Dark Sun Gnome http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?460277-Hadozee-%28Spelljammer-Stormwrack%29&p=20087226#post20087226

See the Archetype Contest Here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473575-5E-D-amp-D-Sci-Fi-Archetype-Contest-I&p=20244643#post20244643

M Placeholder
2015-12-13, 02:51 PM
I would like to submit the Hadozee (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?460277-Hadozee-%28Spelljammer-Stormwrack%29&p=20087226#post20087226) for the supplement.

Hitdice
2015-12-18, 04:27 PM
Not to get too nuts-and-bolts in my first post, but I think it's important to figure out a currency conversion rate. You don't want PCs coming from a D&D setting to a Sci-Fi setting to devalue the entire Sci-Fi economy; you also don't want PCs going to from a Sci-Fi setting to a D&D setting just because D&D tents are so much cheaper than Sci-Fi tents with little to no mechanical difference.

Now, you remember how the 5e PHB says that electrum and platinum pieces originate from fallen empires and lost kingdoms, and sometimes arouse suspicion and skepticism when used in transactions? I'm not sure whether a Sci-Fi Galactic Imperial Credit is equal in value to an ep or a pp, but I feel like once that decision is made, the entire currency conversion rate falls into place.

Turtlemancer
2015-12-21, 07:30 AM
One thing I did with my own modern campaign was that as a fantasy setting that moved to a modern setting the currency remained the same Gold, Silver, Ect. But was kept in banks using a sort-of credit card to make transactions. It was still backed by real gold and such BUT worked off a credit card. Also the way I see it is this for those cultures a tent would cost the same even though in theory the sci-fi tent is more advanced. It just that that technology is more common place and thus its not as expensive as you'd think.

However if you want to take the time out to do something with it more power to you.

Easiest way to settle it is this lets say Platinum and Electrum are common on your Fantasy world making them almost without value. While in the Sci-Fi setting its Silver and Copper are much less rare, making gold the only outlier and thus the best transfer currency. Sure its more common in a fantasy setting BUT gold will never be all that common.

What might be cool is to see a system where different metals have greater or lesser value based on what worlds you visit as well as a way to minimize impact... Hmm... maybe I will get onto that.

Also I am debating tossing my Shaman in the book. As it might be important for visiting primitive worlds...

I am thinking we will have possible four chapters with sections for rules, races, classes, archetypes, and backgrounds. A General chapter, a Space Opera chapter, a Steam-punk Chapter, and a smal Spelljammer Chapter. Hows that?