PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Dashing Swords(wo)man

Markoff Chainey
2015-12-12, 03:03 PM
The Dashing Swords(wo)man

My inspiration for this class was at first Elan from the Order of the Stick, but then I remembered an article about an awesome real-life lady, Julie d’Aubigny, whom I read about. (Hence the name of the class.) See here for yourself, this lady is Rock’n Roll: http://www.badassoftheweek.com/lamaupin.html

I tried to incorporate them both as good as possible into a new class, with also a look at the D&D 3.5 Dashing Swordsman: Half-Spellcaster based on bard for utility, applying wits, charm and mockery, mixing martial with social.

Please let me know about balance issues that you might see or if you have some suggestions about mechanics or features.

Without further ado.. The Dashing Swords(wo)man!

The Dashing Swords(wo)man

Level

Proficiency Bonus

Features

Spells Known

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

1st

+2

Mocking the Devil, Derring-Do, Dramatic Entrance I

--

--

--

--

--

--

2nd

+2

Spellcasting, Fighting Style

--

--

--

--

3rd

+2

Smooth Operator

--

--

--

--

4th

+2

Ability Score Improvement

--

--

--

--

5th

+3

Extra Attack

--

--

--

6th

+3

Mocking Dodge

--

--

--

7th

+3

Catch me if you can

--

--

--

8th

+3

--

--

--

9th

+4

--

--

--

10th

+4

Hero’s Luck

--

--

11th

+4

Valiant Choice

--

--

12th

+4

--

--

13th

+5

--

--

14th

+5

Magical Secrets

--

15th

+5

Second Chance

--

16th

+5

--

17th

+6

--

18th

+6

Last Kiss

19th

+6

20th

+6

Flamboyant Strike

Class Features
As a Dashing Swords(wo)man, you gain the following class features.

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier

Proficiencies
Armor: Light
Weapons: Improvised weapons, finesse weapons, hand crossbows
Tools: 1 instrument of your choice
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Charisma
Skills: Choose three from Athletics, Deception, History, Insight, Intimidation, Performance and Persuasion

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition the the equipment granted by your background:

(a) a rapier or (b) a hand crossbow and a dagger
(a) an explorer’s pack or (b) a diplomat’s pack
(a) fine noble clothes or (b) a leather armor
an instrument of your choice

Mocking the Devil
You gain the Vicious Mockery Cantrip.
When you cast Vicious Mockery, you may add your CHA modifier to the damage.

Derring-Do
While wearing no armor and use no shield, you may add your CHA modifier to your AC.

Dramatic Entrance I
When you make a dramatic effort to get into combat or a dangerous, daring situation, you gain advantage on all athletics rolls associated with it.
If you make an athletic roll to get into combat, using an dramatic entrance, you may add your proficiency bonus to Initiative on the first turn of combat.

Spellcasting (Bard)
You have learned to use the magical essence of musical spells, much as a bard does. You use the bard spell list for your spells.
Charisma is your spellcasting ability.
Spellcasting focus: You can use a finesse weapon as a spellcasting focus for your bard spells.

Just a suggestion to show ppl who do not know the bard spell list by heart some gems
Lvl1: Fairy Fire, Sleep +2
Lvl2: Suggestion, Silence +1
Lvl3: Hypnotic Pattern +2
Lvl4: Greater Invisibility, Polymorph +1
Lvl5: Hold Monster, Raise Dead

Fighting Style
You may choose from one of the following fighting styles:
- Archery
- Close Quarter Shooter (see at the end of the document)
- Defense
- Dueling
- Two-Weapon Fighting

At Lvl 11, you may choose one special combat ability whose usefulness depends largely on the chosen fighting style.
Archery, Close Quarter Shooter and Two Weapon Fighting - Mockingbirds Song
Defense - Disarming Smile
Dueling - Dance Fight

Smooth Operator
You gain the skills Persuasion and Deception.
Should you have those skills already, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies.
Additionally, you become proficient with the disguise kit.

ASI
You get an ASI at level 4, 8, 12 and 16 and 19.

Mocking Dodge
You may use your reaction when you are being hit by a weapon attack to cast Vicious Mockery on the attacker. If your spell hits, the attacker must re-roll his attack with disadvantage.
You may use this ability only once per short rest.

Catch me if you can
You may disengage for free from any opponent that was successfully hit this turn by a Vicious Mockery from you and such an opponent cannot target you with an opportunity attack.
When you are engaged by an opponent that was successfully hit by a Vicious Mockery by you this turn before, you may move 10 feet for free, once per turn.

Heros’ Luck
Whenever you make a death save, you may add your CHA modifier to it.

Valiant Choice
You may choose one out of these three abilities

a) Mockingbirds' Song
Once per turn, when you are about to take a bonus action to make a weapon attack, you may cast Vicious Mockery for free on a target of your choice within range.

b) Dance Fight Stance
You may use your bonus action to enter the "Dance Fight Stance". You may take the Doge Action as a bonus action, when you wield a finesse weapon in one hand and no other weapon or shield in the other, exception: Buckler (see at the end of the document).

c) Disarming Smile
As a bonus action, you may make a Disarming-Attack against the an opponent. When the attack hits, it deals no damage, but the target must make a DEX or STR savings throw (target's choice) against your Performance (CHA) check. If the target fails, she is forced to drop one object she is holding in one of her hands of your choice. The object lands at its feet.

Magical Secrets
Choose 2 spells from any class. A spell you choose must be of a level you can cast, as shown on the Bard table, or a cantrip.
The chosen spells count as bard spells for you and are included in the number in the Spells Known column of your level table.

As you get it at lvl 14, you may choose any spell up to spell lvl 4
Some nice options IMO: Bless, Haste, Hex, Aura of Vitality, Staggering Smite, Banishment, Hail of Thorns, Lightning Arrow, ...

Second Chance
After you fail a savings throw, you may try again.
You may use this feature again after a long rest.

Last Kiss
You may use this ability only when you are at or below 0 Hitpoints and there is somebody standing within 5 feet of you.
As a free action before you fall unconscious, you may blow the target a kiss or kiss it on the lips.
By doing that, you cast a Geas on the target as the Spell. The Spell is cast with your Spellcasting DC as if you cast it and the target may avoid the effect with a WIS savings throw.
When the target fails its saving throw, it is commaned to heal you and /or bring you back to life should it become necessary and the spell takes effect, as if being cast using a 5th level spell slot (Duration 30 days).
Against the spell description, it is not necessary that the target can hear you, nor is it necessary that you actually formulate a command as verbal component of the spell.
The target will feel romantically attracted to you for the remaining duration of 30 days, even if the Geas is fulfilled before that time.
You may use this feature only once per long rest.

Flamboyant Strike
Whenever you strike an opponent, you may add your CHA modifier to the damage of a finesse melee weapon.

It is not RAW, but when you want to use it, I strongly suggest to change it as:

The cover rules still apply, this fighting style does not alter them.
Instead of ranged attacks, it applies to “ranged weapon attacks” only.

I missed this and it fits this class very well.

Buckler, counts as a martial weapon (not as a shield)
Martial Weapon, damage: D4, finesse, light, weighs 1 lbs, cost 2 sp
You may add +1 to your AC while wielding it, as you would with a shield; this bonus cannot be combined with a shield or another buckler.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-12, 03:49 PM
Overall, this looks like a nice, fun class. It will obviously struggle at DPR, but then, so does the PHB's bard. Thematically, it cuts pretty close to the swashbuckler, but the half-caster mechanics are enough to set it aside from both the rogue and the bard (though a rogue/bard multiclass might emulate it pretty well). And it certainly rewards people who put more effort into the social and 'performative' aspects of D&D.

The only feature I have any serious misgivings about is Mocking Dodge. Firstly, what is the DC for the save? If successful, does it negate the attack as well as allow for casting VM (as written, I'd say it doesn't, but I feel like your intention is that it should)? If it does, I'd argue that a once/short rest limit might be warranted.

Markoff Chainey
2015-12-13, 04:33 AM
Overall, this looks like a nice, fun class. It will obviously struggle at DPR, but then, so does the PHB's bard. Thematically, it cuts pretty close to the swashbuckler, but the half-caster mechanics are enough to set it aside from both the rogue and the bard (though a rogue/bard multiclass might emulate it pretty well). And it certainly rewards people who put more effort into the social and 'performative' aspects of D&D.

The only feature I have any serious misgivings about is Mocking Dodge. Firstly, what is the DC for the save? If successful, does it negate the attack as well as allow for casting VM (as written, I'd say it doesn't, but I feel like your intention is that it should)? If it does, I'd argue that a once/short rest limit might be warranted.

Thanks for reading through and leaving a comment!

I changed the text and the ability of Mocking Dodge according to your suggestion, thanks for that!

Also, I did a very plain (!) DPR at-will calculation and I am not sure if I got it right.

(Assumption: Dual Wielder at 8, Bonus Action for TWF DEX at 20 at lvl 19, CH at 20 at lvl 16)
Lvl 1: 1d8 + 3 DEX (avg 7,5)
Lvl 2: 1d8 + 3 DEX + 1d6 + 3 (avg 14)
Lvl 5: 2d8 + 8 DEX + 1d6 + 4 DEX (24,5)
Lvl 10: 3d8 + 12 (avg 25,5)
Lvl11: 3d8 + 12 + Vicious Mockery 3d4 + 3 (avg 36)
Lvl 15: 3d8 + 12 + Vicious Mockery 3d4 + 4 (avg 37)
Lvl 19: 3d8 + 15 + Vicious Mockery 3d4 + 5 (avg 41)
Lvl 20: 3d8 + 30 + Vicious Mockery 3d4 + 5 (avg 56)

Steampunkette
2015-12-13, 05:12 AM
Suggestion for Mocking Dodge.

Drop the dex save. Let them react with Vicious Mockery and if it hits have the target reroll the attack with disadvantage.

Fake Moustache.
Rename to Derringer Do. The current name sounds like a disguise bonus.

Other than that, I love it!

Markoff Chainey
2015-12-13, 06:00 AM
Suggestion for Mocking Dodge.

Drop the dex save. Let them react with Vicious Mockery and if it hits have the target reroll the attack with disadvantage.

Fake Moustache.
Rename to Derringer Do. The current name sounds like a disguise bonus.

Other than that, I love it!

Thank you, Steampunkette!

Added your suggestion, this way Mocking Dodge is easier to handle. I also changed it to "weapon attack" so that it works on ranged attacks too.

Derringer Do :-) done.

Steampunkette
2015-12-13, 07:28 AM
Derring
My tablet auto corrected it to the wrong word.

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-12-13, 06:28 PM
There really needs to be options other than twf. As it stands, one cannot use the class either to be Elan or to be Inigo Montoya. This is a problem.

Markoff Chainey
2015-12-14, 02:43 AM
There really needs to be options other than twf. As it stands, one cannot use the class either to be Elan or to be Inigo Montoya. This is a problem.

Hi! Thanks, yes, I thought about that and don't like it too much myself. The reason is, as the abilities are now, anything but TWF would be a trap option because of Mockingbird's song and that is essential too keep up with the damage output.

I thought about altering Mockingbirds song so that it works on hand crossbows too, because a gunslinger-dashing type would be fun. But that would not encourage a one-handed finesse fighter with no shield in the other hand.

Any ideas how to get there?

Cheers!

Steampunkette
2015-12-14, 03:28 AM
Create a second fighting style at that level which allows the player to make a main hand attack as a bonus action, if using a finesse weapon and if they moved at least 5 feet on their turn. Call it dervish dancing and require them to not have anything in their offhand.

Then make the Mockingbird ability work when the dashing character uses a bonus action to make a weapon attack.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-14, 03:43 AM
How about something that makes the Dashing Swordfighter more effective at defending against multiple targets? I've got this image in my head of d'Artagnan et al holding off a dozen musketeers at a time. The article you linked claims that d'Aubigny took people on three at a time as well.

You could allow Dueling at level 2, then maybe open up the 11th-level feature like how the Hunter Ranger gets to choose from a set of options in each of their features. You could have one that allows bonus action Dodge, or one that grants some kind of bonus while within 5' of multiple opponents.

Calen
2015-12-14, 02:33 PM
First off. A derringer is a tiny pistol I think the word you want is Derring-Do

Maybe it is just me but Giggling Strike sounds...like a little kid fighting maybe?
Flamboyant Strike maybe?

Have you considered adding Dueling and maybe Tunnel Fighter to the fighting styles? I feel that they would reflect the more defensive aspects and might overcome the worries you had about non TWF being a trap.

Proof that Inigo Montoya has the Tunnel Fighter Feat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzrDSHcvX8w) :smalltongue:

You would have to tweak Mockingbirds Song a bit.

Markoff Chainey
2015-12-15, 06:11 AM
Amazing! Thank you all for those great input!

I tried my best to change it...
I added some fightings styles, but did not add Tunnel Fighter - because it is not RAW and it seems to be a bit off. Instead, I added an ability at level 11 that is quite similiar.

Please be so kind and let me know what you think of the 2 new level 11 abilities... I will do some math later. I have the feeling that they are quite powerful, but are not on the same power level.

Cheers!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-15, 06:47 AM
Disarming smile. Hah! Almost makes up for the unfortunate lack of fake moustaches from which this class suffers!

I'm not sure duelling balances if you can't use shields... What does everyone else think?

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-15, 07:57 AM
I really like the class. Balanced maybe little bit weak.

Last kiss should be changed. Cha mod but athletics??? Not clear at all. The DC should be spellcast DC and the feature itself is weird too

Ninja_Prawn
2015-12-15, 11:37 AM
I really like the class. Balanced maybe little bit weak.

Last kiss should be changed. Cha mod but athletics??? Not clear at all. The DC should be spellcast DC and the feature itself is weird too

Mmm... It could be simplified dramatically by cutting the grapple part and just making it a Wis save vs. spellcasting DC.

It's not like the ability will come up often, though. Part of the fun is the image of grappling someone with your lips!

Markoff Chainey
2015-12-15, 02:22 PM
Part of the fun is the image of grappling someone with your lips!

Yep.. that was totally the intention! But I agree, it is too weird and complicated.. changed it.

I wonder if the class as a whole is now still seen as balanced or a bit weak.. From my point of view, the level 11 ability is at least as good as another attack and while the class is a bit weaker as a fighter, it has some really nice spells to make up for it, especially at lvl 14 with Magical Secrets and the capstone is also about as good as another attack damage-wise.

Hope you enjoy this process of creation as I do :)

Thanks!