PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Raven PC Race

Thenidiel
2015-12-15, 06:11 PM
For a friend of mine's upcoming DMing of Out of the Abyss, I decided after quite a bit of brainstorming that I wanted to play a Raven Druid. Yes, the animal. Not enhanced, not sentient, not magical. A bird. As a race.

He reluctantly agreed, provided I draw up stats for them. Here's what I came up with:

Raven
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, your Wisdom score increases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 2. Your Intelligence score decreases to 2.

Age. Ravens achieve maturity at the age of three, and can live up to thirty years, although most only live to be around twenty.

Alignment. Ravens are birds, so most do not truly recognize political, legal, or ethical authority, making them usually just unaligned. If they do tend towards a particular alignment, they are often chaotic.

Size. Adult ravens average around two feet in length, and weigh two to three pounds. Your size is Tiny.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 10 feet. You have a flying speed of 50 feet. If you are wearing medium or heavy armor, you must end your turn no more than 5 feet above a surface to stand on or fall until you are.

Animal. You are considered to be a beast. You cannot wield weapons. Instead, you may attack with your talons or beak. You are considered proficient with these weapons. They have a range of 5 ft, have the light property, deal 1d6 piercing damage, and use your Dexterity ability modifier for the attack bonus and damage bonus. You do not need to use somatic spell components, and use verbal components by making sounds that are vaguely reminiscent of that spell’s verbal components. Your talons and beak can be affected by the shillelagh cantrip.

Inhuman Mind. You have disadvantage on Wisdom (Insight) checks targeting humanoids. However, enemy humanoids have disadvantage on Charisma-based attack rolls or ability checks targeting you.

Mimicry. You can mimic any sounds you have heard, including voices. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful Wisdom (Insight) check vs. your Charisma (Deception).

Nevermore. When a creature within 60 ft of you drops to 0 hit points, you may choose another creature within 60 ft of you. It must succeed on a Constitution saving throw with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom or Charisma modifier or become frightened of you. It can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success. You cannot use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Languages. You can understand Common and one other language of your choice, but can only speak through the use of the Mimicry trait.

Wyntonian
2015-12-15, 06:26 PM
I can see why he'd be reluctant, given these stats. Someone who knows the math can come through and show you exactly why, but this race is horrifically overpowered and goes against 5e design philosophies that we've seen with regards to designing races. I would not allow this at my table.

JNAProductions
2015-12-15, 06:55 PM
I can see why he'd be reluctant, given these stats. Someone who knows the math can come through and show you exactly why, but this race is horrifically overpowered and goes against 5e design philosophies that we've seen with regards to designing races. I would not allow this at my table.

Agreed 100%. You're bumping 2 important stats, one fluffy stat, and dumping one unimportant stat. In addition, you have a 50' fly speed! That's potentially banworthy even with regular stats!

More than that, an intelligence of 2 is animal intellect. That's not for players.

Thenidiel
2015-12-15, 07:06 PM

Fly speed could be reduced, I was merely reluctant to make it slower than regular ravens. Mimicry is just in lieu of being able to talk. How is the weapon replacement? I'm unsure of how to balance it.

The ability scores were a little silly. How about decreasing Charisma and Wisdom to +1? Note that Intelligence is not -2, but actually equal to 2 (the MM's Intelligence for ravens). The Cha resistance-like ability was just there to flesh it out and is removable.

Agreed 100%. You're bumping 2 important stats, one fluffy stat, and dumping one unimportant stat. In addition, you have a 50' fly speed! That's potentially banworthy even with regular stats!

More than that, an intelligence of 2 is animal intellect. That's not for players.

So I assume you suggest reducing the speed to 30? Also, it is an animal. Why can't it have an Intelligence of 2?

JNAProductions
2015-12-15, 07:08 PM
Honestly? Check out Dracoknight's Anthropomorphic Animal Races. Those are pretty well balanced.

DracoKnight
2015-12-15, 10:42 PM
Honestly? Check out Dracoknight's Anthropomorphic Animal Races. Those are pretty well balanced.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?422857-Awakened-Woodland-Creatures-PEACH) they are :smallsmile: Thank you for thinking of them, JNA. Now, I don't have a raven, but it wouldn't be that hard to whip one up.

EDIT: I have added the Raven as a subrace to the Awakened Woodland Creatures.

Dusk Raven
2015-12-16, 01:29 AM
Well, this is probably one of the most unique desires for a race I've seen. Granted, I absolutely love ravens (as should perhaps be obvious), and they are amongst the most intelligent of animals, so I could see it happening.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?422857-Awakened-Woodland-Creatures-PEACH) they are :smallsmile: Thank you for thinking of them, JNA. Now, I don't have a raven, but it wouldn't be that hard to whip one up.

EDIT: I have added the Raven as a subrace to the Awakened Woodland Creatures.

I tried to apply the anthropomorphic template for 3.5e to a raven. They had, like, a -6 to STR, it was rediculous.

On that note, I know in 3.5e ravens have pretty lamentable Strength. I don't have the 5e MM, but I really suggest cutting down the STR a bit. Also, I wouldn't decrease the speed personally; if you're going to play a standard raven, might as well make it as close to a standard raven's stats as possible.